PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Lee

lowesox
06-18-2004, 06:23 PM
About a month ago, there were more than a few of us (myself included) who were down on Lee. But ever since Maggs went down with an injury Lee has been incredible. Tonight is just another example. Our lineup is missing both Frank and Maggs and Carlos steps up with a big two-run blast to get things going.

It's nice to know that if Maggs leaves next year, Carlos is more than capable of stepping up and filling his shoes.

doublem23
06-18-2004, 06:29 PM
It's nice to see him hitting and all but he's still really not hitting for enough power to justify starting in a corner outfield spot. No one is in left field for their defensive prowess or high on base percentage.

johnny bench
06-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Carlos is very average and his value as trade bait will never be higher.

Magglio is guy to keep, not this jamoke.

OurBitchinMinny
06-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Why not keep both of them? Lee is hitting .300. He has decent rbi #s and led the team in that area last year. He definitely deserves to be a starter.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Why not keep both of them? Lee is hitting .300. He has decent rbi #s and led the team in that area last year. He definitely deserves to be a starter.Lee, Konerko, and Valentin are all the same type of hitter, aggressive at the plate and prone to undisciplined slumps. No team has revealed this more often than Minnesota. They just throw garbage up there and wait for our guys to chase it. Joe Mays has made his entire major league career of it.

Of the three, Lee will bring (by far) the most in trade value.

As for Magglio, it's impossible to get fair trade value for a ballplayer of his caliber. Letting him go could only make sense for financial reasons because it will only hurt us in the W-L column.

Blob
06-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Carlos has had a real good month now. And he had a great night tonight.

OurBitchinMinny
06-18-2004, 09:41 PM
I might be wrong, but I think we would regret letting Lee go. He is still young and I think he is a much better hitter than valentin and konerko, both are pretty good hitters. I wouldnt trade him unless you get real good value in return. In other words I wouldnt throw him in to get a rent a pitcher

Blob
06-18-2004, 09:43 PM
I might be wrong, but I think we would regret letting Lee go. He is still young and I think he is a much better hitter than valentin and konerko, both are pretty good hitters. I wouldnt trade him unless you get real good value in return. In other words I wouldnt throw him in to get a rent a pitcher
I agree we would have to get someone REAL good to let Lee go. He had career stats last year and is in his prime. Not someone I want to see go at all!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2004, 09:46 PM
You have to break some eggs to make an omelette.

Lee, Konerko, Valentin... one of them is definitely expendable for the good of the team's championship aspirations. Lee definitely would bring the most in trade.

FarWestChicago
06-18-2004, 09:47 PM

Lee, Konerko, Valentin... one of them is definitely expendable for the good of the team's championship aspirations. Lee definitely would bring the most in trade.:manos :caballo

We're faster!!

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2004, 09:52 PM

Lee, Konerko, Valentin... one of them is definitely expendable for the good of the team's championship aspirations. Lee definitely would bring the most in trade.
George, if the rumors out of Philly are true, Carl Crawford might be avaialble for the right package of prospects. What do you think about making a run for Carl Crawford this season for prospects (probably to include some of the Sox top pitching prospects) to play CF and lead off (and making a separate deal for a starting pitcher)? And then after winning the Series, trading Lee for another starting pitcher and promoting Reed to play left and bat second? This would mean an outfield of Reed, Crawford and Maggs in 2005. Do you think such a plan would make the Sox stronger both this season and for the long term?

OurBitchinMinny
06-18-2004, 09:53 PM

Lee would bring the most, but you had better get someone damn good. Konerko and valentin, especially valentin are expendable. I like them both and they have been great guys and our excellent clubhouse leaders it seems, but we could win without them too

OurBitchinMinny
06-18-2004, 09:55 PM
George, if the rumors out of Philly are true, Carl Crawford might be avaialble for the right package of prospects. What do you think about making a run for Carl Crawford this season for prospects (probably to include some of the Sox top pitching prospects) to play CF and lead off (and making a separate deal for a starting pitcher)? And then after winning the Series, trading Lee for another starting pitcher and promoting Reed to play left and bat second? This would mean an outfield of Reed, Crawford and Maggs in 2005. Do you think such a plan would make the Sox stronger both this season and for the long term?
Id love to get crawford, but you would have to unload valentin so uribe could play everyday and we cant give up on harris because of a bad stretch. Also I dont think reed is ready yet. He is in the .270s in AAA. I like a lee, crawford, ordonez outfield for this year and then maybe you package lee in the offseason or lose ordonez (i hope not though).

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2004, 09:56 PM
I don't know because I have no idea who else is out there talking to Philadelphia and what the asking price would truly be.

Suffice to say our current roster could use some improvement.

Blob
06-18-2004, 09:56 PM
It would make sense to package Valentin with someone else. He is at the end of his contract and with the way Uribe and Harris are playing he probably will not be resigned this off season.

gosox41
06-19-2004, 02:17 AM
Carlos is very average and his value as trade bait will never be higher.

Magglio is guy to keep, not this jamoke.
I agree. Now is the time to 'sell high' with Carlosas he is playing well. Unfortunately I don't think you'll get maximum value for him now. Teams that are trading pitching now are looking to dump salary and get young, cheap prospects. Most aren't looking to take on big contracts or dump a real good pitcher for a guy who will be an FA after next season.

On the flip side, no contending team with money is going to give up their #1 or #2 starter for him.

Bob

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2004, 02:25 AM
Wow, I come on here tonight looking to apologize because I used to think that Carlos was the second coming of Lyle Mouton. Then I get here, and everyone is talking about trying to trade him. I guess I don't get it.

Frater Perdurabo
06-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Wow, I come on here tonight looking to apologize because I used to think that Carlos was the second coming of Lyle Mouton. Then I get here, and everyone is talking about trying to trade him. I guess I don't get it.
Buy low, sell high. :smile: