PDA

View Full Version : Renovations

maurice
06-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Once again, the Trib shows their management superiority over JR. The Trib plans to turn a parking lot into a multi-use building "containing a theme restaurant, shops, restrooms, parking and player facilities." JR moves the fundamentals area to the concourse and leaves acres of surrounding parking lots barren.

Article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-040618wrigley,1,2250025.story?coll=chi-news-hed) & Pics (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-040618wrigley-photogallery,1,1238704.photogallery?coll=chi-news-hed)

Watching the Trib compete with JR in this town is like watching a grown man play basketball against a six-year-old.

TornLabrum
06-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Once again, the Trib shows their management superiority over JR. The Trib plans to turn a parking lot into a multi-use building "containing a theme restaurant, shops, restrooms, parking and player facilities." JR moves the fundamentals area to the concourse and leaves acres of surrounding parking lots barren.

Article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-040618wrigley,1,2250025.story?coll=chi-news-hed) & Pics (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-040618wrigley-photogallery,1,1238704.photogallery?coll=chi-news-hed)

Watching the Trib compete with JR in this town is like watching a grown man play basketball against a six-year-old.
So the Tribune Co. makes it harder to park your car, Reinsdorf makes it easy, and it's the Tribune Co. who is superior?

maurice
06-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Per my original post, the development includes parking.

MRKARNO
06-18-2004, 04:35 PM

US cellular field already has more than accurate food facilities, shops, restrooms, parking and player facilities. There is no need for such a building on the south side whereas they have a clear need for one up north where the team does not control many good food facilities, shops, nor are there half-decent restrooms or major league calibur player facilities. Parking is nonexistant.

maurice
06-18-2004, 04:38 PM
US cellular field already has more than accurate food facilities, shops, restrooms, parking and player facilities.
The food facilities, shops, restrooms, etc. appear to be accessible year-round from street level. We don't have that.

The parking replaces (or increases) the number of spaces lost when the parking lot was eliminated.

BeerHandle
06-18-2004, 04:39 PM
US cellular field already has more than accurate food facilities, shops, restrooms, parking and player facilities. There is no need for such a building on the south side whereas they have a clear need for one up north where the team does not control many good food facilities, shops, nor are there half-decent restrooms or major league calibur player facilities. Parking is nonexistant.
I agree. Also, the parking garage is going tp be small. They have zero parking. I would rather tailgate in open space anyways.

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2004, 04:41 PM
I posted a similar thread in "Talking Baseball" specifically regarding the Cubs plans for a combination "Fan Deck/Restaurant" in the batters eye in CF. It seems the Cubs/Tribune are borrowing a successful idea from the Cell and not giving any credit whatsoever to the Sox. That's OK, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Mods, please feel free to combine my thread into this one if you see fit.

MRKARNO
06-18-2004, 04:42 PM
The food facilities, shops, restrooms, etc. appear to be accessible year-round from street level. We don't have that.

Do we need that?

sas1974
06-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Well, I have to admit it's aesthetically pleasing.

Three things on the parking garage though:

It can't possibly house THAT many cars.
It will most likely only be for the richest of the rich season ticket holders(yet another revenue stream for them).
Has anyone ever been in a parking structure after a large event let out all at once (i.e.-sporting event, concert, etc.)? It is going to be HELL getting out of there.

maurice
06-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Do we need that?Yes, certainly more than a fundamentals deck.

In the multiple threads discussing future renovations, street-level shops / bars / restaurants was listed first by many people. First-time visitors to the Cell regularly comment that the park is great, except there's nothing but parking lots immediately surrounding it. The point of the renovations is to get these people to return.

A few buildings such as the one depicted clearly would not prevent tailgating in the remaining open lots and would not reduce the number of parking spaces. Besides, we're talking about maybe 1K spaces here.

MRKARNO
06-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Yes, certainly more than a fundamentals deck.

In the multiple threads discussing future renovations, street-level shops / bars / restaurants was listed first by many people. First-time visitors to the Cell regularly comment that the park is great, except there's nothing but parking lots immediately surrounding it. The point of the renovations is to get these people to return.

A few buildings such as the one depicted clearly would not prevent tailgating in the remaining open lots and would not reduce the number of parking spaces. Besides, we're talking about maybe 1K spaces here.
I can see where this thread is going....

If the issue is fundamentals deck vs Cubs building outside the park, it's a misguided arguement because they are two different things, plus they havent even announced the full extent of the renovations, so you have no grounds to criticize everything that the Sox are going to do for next year.

TornLabrum
06-18-2004, 04:54 PM
I just love how Sox fans ridicule "Wrigleyville" and then want a duplicate on and around 35th St.

Blob
06-18-2004, 05:02 PM
What the Sox have is good enough for me!

Dan Gelo
06-18-2004, 05:10 PM
What the Sox have is good enough for me!
Ditto, could care less. I'm there to see and talk baseball and eat churros.:D:

Cellview22
06-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Every hour on CLTV they feature this as one of their top stories. Leeann Trotter is outside Wrigely as people are filing in. They interviewed this one dork inside the stadium and he said 'not a good idea, keep it how it is, we don't wanna be like Comiskey, empty'. :angry:

Why do they give people like that airtime?

Blob
06-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Ditto, could care less. I'm there to see and talk baseball and eat churros.:D:
Yeah, if they don't have churros, they have NOTHING!

Oh yeah, and that goes for funnel cakes and corn off the cob and roast or corned beef sammiches and ribs and OK i'll stop now I'm getting hungry!

DSpivack
06-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Gee, maybe as part of the new renovations we can have a giant churro in the outfield concourse.

Brian26
06-18-2004, 05:45 PM
I knew something was up when I drove up there a couple of Saturday's ago to use the car wash facilities and they were closed down. :angry:

That was one of the only do-it-yourself car washes in the city.

As for the pictures....gee, they're making that neighborhood look a bit shinier and nicer than it really is, aren't they?

Brian26
06-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Since when did Clark and Waveland turn into Schaumburg? Give me a break.

nitetrain8601
06-18-2004, 05:58 PM
I guess the parking gives them a place to hide the dead bodies after they gun them down.

JackParkman
06-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Yes, certainly more than a fundamentals deck.

Problem is, no restaurant, bar, shop, etc. in the immediate area surrounding the Cell will succeed. They would all do very well on game days, but be virtually (if not entirely) empty otherwise. Restaurants/bars in particular survive on very narrow margins, and I don't suspect any would stay in business long attracting crowds only 81 days a year. Let's face it, as the area immediately around the Cell currently is constituted, there's no reason to go down there except for a ball game.

hsnterprize
06-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Community groups around Piggly Wiggly are protesting this latest proposal...just like they did the last "expansion proposal." Just as I'd expect, Charlotte Newfeld with a local group is complaining about the "overhang" that would go over the street where the outfield bleachers would be. The sCrUBS want to add 1,800 more seats to the outfield, and the locals say it'll only make the neighborhood worse than it is...like that's news.

CuBS 2's (notice the spelling) 5PM newscast led with this story, and as usual, there are people who don't want it to happen because they "like coming to a classic ballpark."

It's a load of crap if you ask me. Leave it up to the schleps near Piggly Wiggly to complain when the team actually wants to "improve" their ballpark. Of course, there's no real improvement to the place short of tearing it down, but we'll leave that for another day. Still, all these "nostalgiacs" need to get with the program...even Fenway Park's been modernized somewhat. Gotta love hizzoner and his bureaucrats for this one.

maurice
06-18-2004, 06:44 PM
If the issue is fundamentals deck vs Cubs building outside the park, it's a misguided arguement because they are two different thingsThat's precisely the problem: they are two very different things. One is something ugly we don't need (fundamentals deck), and the other is a "different thing" that might actually draw some new fans -- the point of the renovations. The point is not to appease the people who already attend a large number of games, since that would not help attendance.

they havent even announced the full extent of the renovations, so you have no grounds to criticize everything that the Sox are going to do for next year.Which is why I never "criticize[d] everything that the Sox are going to do for next year." I criticized the fundamentals deck as misguided and clearly inferior to the Trib plan. If additional renovations address the outside of the park, fine. If they don't, they're wasting money that would be better spent elsewhere.

maurice
06-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Problem is, no restaurant, bar, shop, etc. in the immediate area surrounding the Cell will succeed.That's ridiculous. There are plenty of excellent restaurants and bars in the neighborhood that stay open year 'round. The primary complaint from the casual fan is that the closest one is a "distant" two blocks away. Many folks from the suburbs think that's too far to walk, and most non-Southsiders "think" its too dangerous. Lots of old thread make this very point.

Let's face it, as the area immediately around the Cell currently is constituted, there's no reason to go down there except for a ball game.:?:

This perception is the reason renovation money would be best spent on buildings directly outside of the ballpark.

I'll talk at y'all Monday. With the Sox in Montreal, I suspect we'll all have a fairly enjoyable weekend.

cheeses_h_rice
06-18-2004, 07:22 PM
CuBS 2's (notice the spelling) 5PM newscast led with this story, and as usual, there are people who don't want it to happen because they "like coming to a classic ballpark."

And therein lies the rub for Flubs management -- they realize they need to keep adding "modern" touches and pizzazz to help their revenue stream and keep the park interesting for more casual and/or younger attendees, yet every time they make changes it chips away at the "historical" aspect of going to Wrigley, which so many Flub fans use as a club to bash Sox fans over the head with. I have to chuckle every time the Flubs add one more "modern" element (like those new mini-scoreboard/billboard signs they added a few years ago), as it's exactly these kinds of things that Flub fans make fun of Comiskey for.

I said it once in a post a few years ago...WHEN (not if) Wrigley gets torn down and the Flubs build their new Uber Dream Park in Schaumburg or Oakbrook or wherever, just watch to see exactly how much crap they can cram into their park as far as advertisements, scoreboards, on-screen games on the Jumbotron, etc. etc. etc. It will make the Cell seem like a minor league park in comparison. Mark my words.

:gulp:

dickallen15
06-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Could you imagine how long it will take to get out of that parking garage after a game?

soxwon
06-18-2004, 07:51 PM
wha happened to the flubs today?

they ran into a great AL team thats what.

Flight #24
06-18-2004, 08:50 PM
That's precisely the problem: they are two very different things. One is something ugly we don't need (fundamentals deck), and the other is a "different thing" that might actually draw some new fans -- the point of the renovations. The point is not to appease the people who already attend a large number of games, since that would not help attendance.
Can we stop with this point already? The fan deck is targeted at families with kids, and many of those here who fit that description think it's an excellent idea. Just like there are those who think the Trib plan for Wrigley is a bad one.

:threadsucks

inta
06-18-2004, 09:18 PM
looks like the tribune is tearing down byrons, which is located at that spot already. that's too bad, they make some damn good honey full donuts.

pinwheels3530
06-19-2004, 03:28 AM
That's ridiculous. There are plenty of excellent restaurants and bars in the neighborhood that stay open year 'round. The primary complaint from the casual fan is that the closest one is a "distant" two blocks away. Many folks from the suburbs think that's too far to walk, and most non-Southsiders "think" its too dangerous. Lots of old thread make this very point.

:?:

This perception is the reason renovation money would be best spent on buildings directly outside of the ballpark.

I'll talk at y'all Monday. With the Sox in Montreal, I suspect we'll all have a fairly enjoyable weekend.

I thought that the sox had those plans to build that building (grand entrance) at gate 6 so they can move the current offices which are located along 35th street to the new building. Then put some bars and restaurants which you can enter at street level where the old offices were. I think that would be a good idea, I first heard that rumor two years ago from some sox employees, but I don't know if it's still on thier list for renovations they want too do.

I think they should build a Hooters or something at gate 3 where the current kid area is at since they are going to move that into the park, they will have to do something with that area anyways!!!

gosox41
06-19-2004, 03:43 AM
Every hour on CLTV they feature this as one of their top stories. Leeann Trotter is outside Wrigely as people are filing in. They interviewed this one dork inside the stadium and he said 'not a good idea, keep it how it is, we don't wanna be like Comiskey, empty'. :angry:

Why do they give people like that airtime?
Because CLTV is owned by the Trib and will use whateber little trick it can to give the Sox negative media spotlight. Where we see a clueless idiot, Yuppie Cub fans see someone who is preaching the truth. Was this guy a typical Yuppie looking fan?

Bob

pinwheels3530
06-19-2004, 03:46 AM
I thought that the sox had those plans to build that building (grand entrance) at gate 6 so they can move the current offices which are located along 35th street to the new building. Then put some bars and restaurants which you can enter at street level where the old offices were. I think that would be a good idea, I first heard that rumor two years ago from some sox employees, but I don't know if it's still on thier list for renovations they want too do.

I think they should build a Hooters or something at gate 3 where the current kid area is at since they are going to move that into the park, they will have to do something with that area anyways!!!

One other thing let's put some statues of great white sox players outside us cellur field. If JR can build a statue of the old roman why not some of our great players. He needs to stop being so cheap!!! GO SOX!!!!

TornLabrum
06-19-2004, 09:37 AM
One other thing let's put some statues of great white sox players outside us cellur field. If JR can build a statue of the old roman why not some of our great players. He needs to stop being so cheap!!! GO SOX!!!!
Or maybe do what the Cubs did and build a statue paying homage to one of our great broadcasters. I nominate Jack Drees.

dickallen15
06-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Problem is, no restaurant, bar, shop, etc. in the immediate area surrounding the Cell will succeed. They would all do very well on game days, but be virtually (if not entirely) empty otherwise. Restaurants/bars in particular survive on very narrow margins, and I don't suspect any would stay in business long attracting crowds only 81 days a year. Let's face it, as the area immediately around the Cell currently is constituted, there's no reason to go down there except for a ball game.

Wasn't McCuddy's only open on game days? I totally agree with your post. Many have suggested opening the bullpen bar during non game days, and keeping it open all year long. That place would lose money every day.

white sox bill
06-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Yea, so much for old time baseball..leave it to the scrubs to put a nice modern building complex next to a outhouse.

Hangar18
06-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Hmmmmmm. Sounds like the TRIB has been reading WSI SOX fan suggestions,
not to mention Blatantly stealing the IDEA of having a Building Connected to the the CELL in LF Corner area, with "multipurpose entrance, restaurants" etc.
If we put the Year Round Bars/restaurants in LF CONCOURSE like Ive been saying, we'll beat ANYTHING they try to do over there. However, the drawings look nice, and theyre simplying copying things the SOX already have,
Thereby making THINGS WORSE for sox mgmt, hoping to compete for the Hearts and Minds of the City, including the Media.