PDA

View Full Version : Hiding? What does he mean?

gosox41
06-18-2004, 01:33 PM
I was reading Neyer's Q and A session on ESPN.com and this question was asked of him about the Indians. What I didn't get was the answer he gave in reference to the Sox. Maybe someone can explain:

Q: We all know that Cleveland can contend in the weak AL Central, but will they?

Rob Neyer: I'm thrilled with the Indians because they were my dark-horse pick. But I don't think their pitching will hold up -- they're the Central's Rangers -- and I do think the White Sox might run away and hide in that division.

Does he mean he things the Sox will run away with the division and win it big or that they are going to choke? I didn't get the 'might run away and hide' comment. I've heard of 'running away with the division' but don't understand the 'hide' part.

Can anyone interpret?

Bob

HomeFish
06-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Neyer is new to this whole knowing the White Sox exist thing, give him a break.

Voice of Reason
06-18-2004, 01:38 PM
I'm pretty sure "hiding" is just an extension of the running away metaphor. Not only are the Sox going to run away but they are going to hide somewhere no one else in the division can find them.

Paulwny
06-18-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm pretty sure "hiding" is just an extension of the running away metaphor. Not only are the Sox going to run away but they are going to hide somewhere no one else in the division can find them.
Exactly, same as a long distance. You get so far ahead of the pack, they no longer can see you or catch you.

Sell Jerry Sell!
06-18-2004, 01:53 PM
What I think he means is that the sox will runaway with the division and then when we get to the playoffs people will think of us as "oh, they won only because they are in the central division" but in reality we are a good team and we can make some noise in the playoffs

jeremyb1
06-18-2004, 03:29 PM

Yeah, he's pleased with the Tribe but their pitching won't hold and we're going to run away with it. That's how I read it.

OurBitchinMinny
06-18-2004, 03:58 PM
I want to know when this running away is going to happen. Im more concerned about the twinkies running away in the next month with their cupcake of a schedule

doublem23
06-18-2004, 04:25 PM
I read that to mean that the Sox will run away with the division but no one will notice until they see the Sox playing the Boston or New York in October.

lowesox
06-18-2004, 06:08 PM
I read it like we're gonna choke.

Not much of a writer when the entire message can be read two ways.

doublem23
06-18-2004, 06:10 PM
That's why he writes for ESPN.

FarWestChicago
06-18-2004, 06:50 PM
It's not ambiguous. "run away and hide" means get so far ahead you can no longer be seen or found, "hidden".

doublem23
06-18-2004, 06:54 PM
It's not ambiguous. "run away and hide" means get so far ahead you can no longer be seen or found, "hidden".
But which way do they go to be hidden? Or is he just covering his ass so if the Sox run away with it or collapse he can point and say, "See? I was right."

FarWestChicago
06-18-2004, 07:06 PM
But which way do they go to be hidden? Or is he just covering his ass so if the Sox run away with it or collapse he can point and say, "See? I was right."Forward. You don't use the term "run away" to describe falling behind. I realize he's a stathead, but we can't assume he's completely illiterate. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/redneck.gif

(note to Jeremy, Bob and Dawg: That was a JOKE!!)

jeremyb1
06-18-2004, 11:01 PM
I read it like we're gonna choke.

Well it was a chat room not an article. He's not exactly combing over his words to catch any mistakes. I though it was clear what he was saying.

FarWestChicago
06-18-2004, 11:21 PM
I though it was clear what he was saying.I'm with Jeremy on this one. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Frankfan4life
06-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Has the name change from AL Central to Weak AL Central become official yet? Just wondering! :?:

gosox41
06-19-2004, 02:08 AM
Forward. You don't use the term "run away" to describe falling behind. I realize he's a stathead, but we can't assume he's completely illiterate. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/redneck.gif

(note to Jeremy, Bob and Dawg: That was a JOKE!!)
I know it was a joke. No problem.:smile:

I guess I'll agree with the majority's interpretation and the Sox will run away with the division because that's the one I like best. Though, if you're on top it's kind of hard to hide as everyone will always be looking up at you. But Rob should probably stick with numbers.

Bob

skobabe8
06-19-2004, 02:36 PM
To "run away and hide" means to build a huge lead and basically have the division won fairly early and then coast the rest of the way, not really playing your best ball, but still winning the division.