PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Report on Wilson Valdez

farmer_fran
06-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Hey guys, I'm from over at Marlinsbaseball.com and I thought I'd do you guys a favor and tell you a little bit about the player you just acquired from us. I got to see a lot of this guy during spring training.

Valdez is a slick defender with a good range with an above average arm. He can play both 2nd base and shortstop very well.

He does not have a lot of power. His approach at the plate is to slap the ball around, and he also bunts a lot; pretty much your typical leadoff type hitter. He is hitting a very solid .319 at Albuquerque. Those numbers are probably a little inflated, because Albuquerque is a hitter's haven.

Out of spring training I thought he could've made the team. The problem was, we already had 2 very solid utility infielders.

Valdez should thrive in the roll of utility infielder. He is a good guy to have at the end of the game because you can pinch run him and he is also a very good defensive replacement.

I don't he will ever be anything more than a utility infielder in the majors, but like I said I think he will be very solid in that role.

Looking at this trade from the Marlins standpoint, I see it as a low risk trade with a possible high reward. It's low risk because we only end up paying 1.5 million on Koch's contract. Also, because like I said we have the utility infielder role filled, and we also have a ss prospect at AA who is really tearing it up and this will give him a chance to move up to AAA. I've seen a change of scenery do wonders for some players, and I've also seen Wayne Rosenthal our pitching coach do some amazing things for some of our pitchers. So hopefully Koch can turn it around.

I'm hoping the trade works out for both teams. I know I speak for a lot of members at marlinsbaseball.com when I say that we've been rooting for you guys, and wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season.

Rocky Soprano
06-18-2004, 11:12 AM
wow, thanks for the scouting report! Seems like we might have a pretty good player on our hands.

I truly wish Koch ton's of success. I hope that a move is what he needed, he is a class act.

SOXSINCE'70
06-18-2004, 11:14 AM
After the last 3 nights,I feel fortunate the Sox won even once.What a staff!!
Burnett may be wild,but when he's on,he's way on.How anyone makes contact against Pavano and Beckett,I have no clue.Good luck this season.And when you play the sCrUBS,please beat them mercilessly.:bandance:

kittle42
06-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Do we really care at all? :smile: I would have taken a bag of magical beans in exchange.

:supernana: :dtroll: :bandance: :gulp: :supernana: :)

bobj4400
06-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Hey guys, I'm from over at Marlinsbaseball.com and I thought I'd do you guys a favor and tell you a little bit about the player you just acquired from us. I got to see a lot of this guy during spring training.

Valdez is a slick defender with a good range with an above average arm. He can play both 2nd base and shortstop very well.

He does not have a lot of power. His approach at the plate is to slap the ball around, and he also bunts a lot; pretty much your typical leadoff type hitter. He is hitting a very solid .319 at Albuquerque. Those numbers are probably a little inflated, because Albuquerque is a hitter's haven.

Out of spring training I thought he could've made the team. The problem was, we already had 2 very solid utility infielders.

Valdez should thrive in the roll of utility infielder. He is a good guy to have at the end of the game because you can pinch run him and he is also a very good defensive replacement.

I don't he will ever be anything more than a utility infielder in the majors, but like I said I think he will be very solid in that role.

Looking at this trade from the Marlins standpoint, I see it as a low risk trade with a possible high reward. It's low risk because we only end up paying 1.5 million on Koch's contract. Also, because like I said we have the utility infielder role filled, and we also have a ss prospect at AA who is really tearing it up and this will give him a chance to move up to AAA. I've seen a change of scenery do wonders for some players, and I've also seen Wayne Rosenthal our pitching coach do some amazing things for some of our pitchers. So hopefully Koch can turn it around.

I'm hoping the trade works out for both teams. I know I speak for a lot of members at marlinsbaseball.com when I say that we've been rooting for you guys, and wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season.
Thanks for the report. Good luck with Kerosene Billy. The guy has a great attitude and seems like a guy who would be fun to hang out with, but he just seems to have lost the ability to pitch. Hopefully for you guys Rosenthal can turn him around. Now go beat the Cubs!!!!

SSN721
06-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks a lot for the report. As others have said I really hope that Koch works out for you guys. Just dont let him pitch when you guys play the Cubs, want to make sure you guys beat the snot out of them. Hopefully Valdez will be a solid utility infielder for us which sounds liek he is capable of doing. I hop ethis works out for both of our teams, just glad to be rid of Koch. Good luck the rest of the season. :smile:

SaltyPretzel
06-18-2004, 11:45 AM
The guy has a great attitude and seems like a guy who would be fun to hang out with, but he just seems to have lost the ability to pitch. I hung out with him at Seattle a couple of weeks ago and he was a lot of fun. I was at the hotel bar sitting next to him and called my friend on my cell phone telling him about that nights game. I naming off all the players that were at the bar at the time and I told him I was sitting next to Billy Koch. Billy overheard me and said, "Your friend is probably saying, "Billy Koch, that ****ing *******!" Anyway, I handed him the Billy the phone and he talked to my friend for a few minutes about the game. Billy told him how pissed off he was at himself for giving up a single to Edgar Martinez on an 0-2 count.

He was basically buying beer for any Sox fan that walked into the joint. He's a cool guy and I wish him luck in Florida. :gulp:

soxtalker
06-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Do we really care at all? :smile: I would have taken a bag of magical beans in exchange. I know that's been a common refrain, but I could never buy in. Koch did have some value. He had shown flashes of his previous pitch speed, and he'd even learned a bit of how to pitch through his adversity. Am I glad to see him go? Absolutely! But that doesn't mean that we couldn't get something in return.

And there are plenty of reasons to care about what we got in return. As it is, we got some infield help, and IIRC that's not one of our system's strengths. Even if a AAA player doesn't help us this year (though he might), we'll need all the help we can get next year. While we've been focusing on the Twinkies this year, the Indians are reloading...

habibharu
06-18-2004, 12:52 PM
according to ozzie, this valdez guy is the best defensive infielder in the marlins system. he is ranked 17th in the system.

nlentz88
06-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Thank you, farmer fran, for the report. I'm glad your organization took Koch off our hands. He's got a great work ethic, good personality in the clubhouse, and has a chance to improve with a change of scenery. I hope he finds success in your neck of the woods.

I first encountered Marlins fans during last season's NLCS, and I found them to be intelligent, balanced fans. The Marlins had my support during that series, and I wish them luck throughout this season... especially in any series against the Cubs!

Go Marlins!
Go Sox!

ndgt10
06-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Billy told him how pissed off he was at himself for giving up a single to Edgar Martinez on an 0-2 count.

Don't mean to sound like a nit pick, but if I'm not mistaken, didn't Koch intentionally walk Martinez to load the bases?

SaltyPretzel
06-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Don't mean to sound like a nit pick, but if I'm not mistaken, didn't Koch intentionally walk Martinez to load the bases?
He gave up the 0-2 single to Martinez that Friday night.

ndgt10
06-18-2004, 01:44 PM
He gave up the 0-2 single to Martinez that Friday night.
I stand corrected:smile:

Unregistered
06-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Scouting report on Valdez:
NOT KOCH
Really, that's good enough for me. :cool:

ode to veeck
06-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Farmer_Fran
Thanks for the scouting reports. From our standpoint, Billy Koch was scarier than he was with the As (& they welcomeed seeing him come in to pitch against them 2 weeks ago). I think his ratio of good/ok/sux outings was somthing like 2/3/5 , even for this year's "new improved" version. He needs to find what in his mechanics has lost him a few MPH, plus not lose his cool when he's in there. He has a decent attitude (improved from last year) when he's not on the mound.

maurice
06-18-2004, 02:07 PM
It looks like this guy has the potential to be a pretty good utility IF (certainly no worse than Dransfelt). Here are his complete AAA stats:

66 G (all at SS), 6 E, 285 AB, 36 R, 25 RBI, 11 2B, 3 3B, 2 HR, 19 SB, 12 CS, 16 BB, 35 K, .319 AVE, .357 OBP, .400 SLG

thepaulbowski
06-18-2004, 03:27 PM
It looks like this guy has the potential to be a pretty good utility IF (certainly no worse than Dransfelt). Here are his complete AAA stats:

66 G (all at SS), 6 E, 285 AB, 36 R, 25 RBI, 11 2B, 3 3B, 2 HR, 19 SB, 12 CS, 16 BB, 35 K, .319 AVE, .357 OBP, .400 SLG
And no blown saves. :)

brewcrew/chisox
06-18-2004, 04:04 PM
I hung out with him at Seattle a couple of weeks ago and he was a lot of fun. I was at the hotel bar sitting next to him and called my friend on my cell phone telling him about that nights game. I naming off all the players that were at the bar at the time and I told him I was sitting next to Billy Koch. Billy overheard me and said, "Your friend is probably saying, "Billy Koch, that ****ing *******!" Anyway, I handed him the Billy the phone and he talked to my friend for a few minutes about the game. Billy told him how pissed off he was at himself for giving up a single to Edgar Martinez on an 0-2 count.

He was basically buying beer for any Sox fan that walked into the joint. He's a cool guy and I wish him luck in Florida. :gulp:

LOL

Great story.

doublem23
06-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Scouting report on Valdez:
NOT KOCH
Really, that's good enough for me. :cool:
LOL! :)

A. Cavatica
06-18-2004, 07:28 PM
An excerpt from Baseball America's article (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/040617koch.html):

"Valdez, 25, signed out of the Dominican Republic with the Expos in 1997 and went to the Marlins on a waiver claim in March 2002. His career began to turn around last year after a long talk with then-Florida third-base coach Ozzie Guillen, whom he's now reunited with in the White Sox organization, with Guillen serving his first year as Chicago's manager. Valdez is a line-drive, contact hitter who could bat second in a lineup if he drew some more walks. He has plus speed and good baserunning skills, and he has thrived at shortstop since moving from second base last year. His arm and range are assets. In 66 games at Triple-A Albuquerque, Valdez hit .319/.357/.400 with two homers, 25 RBIs and 19 steals in 31 attempts."

The Ozzie connection could be a good thing. He seems to have a brighter future than Dransfeldt, but when you're talking backup infielders, there's strength in numbers. I still hope we give Bryant Nelson a shot.

Rex Hudler
06-19-2004, 03:14 AM

He does not have a lot of power. His approach at the plate is to slap the ball around, and he also bunts a lot; pretty much your typical leadoff type hitter.
Is it me or does it sound like we just traded for Ozzie Guillen??

owensmouth
06-19-2004, 03:20 AM
I sorta thought of that too. He may be too good of a hitter to be an Ozzie duplicate.

Philo-Sox-er
06-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Sounds like we got a young Tony Graffanino. Could be uselful when the rosters expand...

WinningUgly!
06-19-2004, 09:27 AM
I sorta thought of that too. He may be too good of a hitter to be an Ozzie duplicate.
Well, at least we didn't give up anything like Lamar Hoyt this time.:)