PDA

View Full Version : Maggs to play against Cleveland??

ukigdog
06-18-2004, 06:58 AM
I know there was alot of talk about Maggs being ahead of schedule with his injury, but i just read an tidbit of information that he may be back as early as the Cleveland series starting monday. Thats awesome i guess, i just hope he aint rushing back.

Via rotoworld.com
Magglio Ordonez (left knee surgery) believes he will return to action next week during the White Sox series against the Indians.
Ordonez will run the bases today in Montreal, and if all goes well, he could be ready to play next week. The Sox have not indicated if Ordonez will have to play a few games on a rehab assignment before returning to action. Jun. 18 - 7:36 am et
Source: Chicago Sun Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep182.html)

Gammons Peter
06-18-2004, 08:51 AM
He'll probably do a minor league re-hab so I don't see the Cleveland series as realistic (unless he starts today or tomorrow) The cub series should be possible though

Blob
06-18-2004, 09:40 AM
He'll probably do a minor league re-hab so I don't see the Cleveland series as realistic (unless he starts today or tomorrow) The cub series should be possible though
A quote from Herm Schneider in an article on 6/17

"A minor league rehabilitation assignment would seem to be in order and could come in the next week or so. But that's a baseball decision to be handled by general manager Ken Williams"

Looks like the Scrub series should be when he'll be back. If all goes well in the minors.

LauraJ14
06-18-2004, 10:56 AM
There's an article in the Daily Herald that Maggs wants to be back in the lineup Monday against Cleveland and doesn't think a rehab assignment is necessary.

the_valenstache
06-18-2004, 12:22 PM
The Maggs Watch in the Tribune had nothing to say about this!

TomParrish79
06-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Might be wishful thinking, but I wouldnt complain if he was back for the Cleveland series.

Blob
06-18-2004, 12:55 PM
I believe he should do a rehab assignment. Make sure he is 100% before he comes back and does some extensive damage. Feeling good and playing and still feeling good are two different things.

I want him back as much as anyone but, I am not willing to risk him to be out a whole season for just one more week of waiting.

Frankfan4life
06-19-2004, 12:15 AM
And this amid reports that contract talks have once again broken down and Maggs will not be back next year. It makes me sad to think about it.:(:

I wish the Sox would find a way to sign Maggs.

JR, give him what he wants, PUHLEESE!!

SoxxoS
06-19-2004, 12:19 AM
And this amid reports that contract talks have once again broken down and Maggs will not be back next year. It makes me sad to think about it.:(:

I wish the Sox would find a way to sign Maggs.

I want Maggs too, but there is a market for everyone...even fan favorites.

doublem23
06-19-2004, 12:25 AM
If he turns down what they have reportedely offered him, he go the way of Bartolo Colon...

Mickster
06-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Ozzie is quoted as saying:

"I don't want him to come back so early and get hurt for good -- that's the danger," the skipper said. "When he's ready to go we'll put him in there. But he has to be careful, I have to be careful, [trainer] Herm [Schneider] has to be careful, everybody has to be careful about him because it could be worse, but hopefully not. When he's ready, he'll be in the lineup. By Tuesday? We'll see, hopefully he is."
Here is the LINK (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040618&content_id=774220&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp).

Frankfan4life
06-19-2004, 10:58 AM
I want Maggs too, but there is a market for everyone...even fan favorites.If he turns down what they have reportedely offered him, he go the way of Bartolo Colon...We have no way of knowing for sure what Maggs was offered or what he turned down. I can only make a decision about whether the Sox are being cheap or Maggs is being greedy if I have the facts. I'm only asking that the Sox to do their best to keep him. If he walks after that, then I can accept it.

johnny_mostil
06-19-2004, 11:04 AM
If he turns down what they have reportedely offered him, he go the way of Bartolo Colon...
What, you mean Maggs will gorge himself at every all-he-can-eat buffet in Orange County?

johnny_mostil
06-19-2004, 11:13 AM
We have no way of knowing for sure what Maggs was offered or what he turned down. I can only make a decision about whether the Sox are being cheap or Maggs is being greedy if I have the facts. I'm only asking that the Sox to do their best to keep him. If he walks after that, then I can accept it.If I'm his agent, I tell him he can always go the free agency route and stay in Chicago if the offer is competitive, but he'll never find out if he signs now. Under the current system, why would Magglio do anything else? Security? Bah. He's already got that.

At this point all KW is doing by negotiating with him is giving him a offer to shop with.

"Greed" or "cheapness" has nothing to do with it right now. Magglio has no reason to sign a deal unless the Sox offer him considerably more money than he can expect on the open market. He might lose a few million by testing free agency if the 2003-04 market holds, but he might lose even more by taking an offer now. And some idiot like the ones in Anaheim or Texas might offer him 20% more than anybody else just because they don't have a clue. 29 stupid owners bidding is almost always better than 1 stupid owner bidding.

The safest course for the Sox is to say, "Here's the offer. It's good until the arbitration deadline. If you get a better offer, we would like the chance to try to match it. We just want you to do what's best for you." The worst course is to say, "Sign now or hit the road, dude." The second worst course is to panic and write a Bartolo-style overpay-by-20% contract.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2004, 11:30 AM
According to the newspapers today Maggs is limping more then in the past two days. He was quoted as saying there is some scar tissue in the knee that he has to get rid of.

Ozzie was quoted as saying he's going to be careful with Maggs.

I don't think you'll see him play against Cleveland. I'd be happy if he can just play against the Cubs.

Lip

Mickster
06-19-2004, 11:42 AM
According to the newspapers today Maggs is limping more then in the past two days. He was quoted as saying there is some scar tissue in the knee that he has to get rid of.

Ozzie was quoted as saying he's going to be careful with Maggs.

I don't think you'll see him play against Cleveland. I'd be happy if he can just play against the Cubs.

Lip
Link?

Philo-Sox-er
06-19-2004, 12:17 PM
From rotoworld.com:

Magglio Ordonez continued to take batting practice but was limping more noticeably Friday than the previous two days.
Ordonez still hopes to return next week, but it seems a little less likely to happen now. "Maggs is a little sore. I'm not too optimistic about it," manager Ozzie Guillen said of a return early next week. "I don't want him to come back early and be hurt and be hurt for good. That's dangerous. Everybody has to be careful. By Tuesday, we'll see. Hopefully, he is ready." Jun. 19 - 12:52 pm et

Link to Sun Times Article:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca191.htm

jabrch
06-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Everything I have read indicates several fair offers have been made. He won't get Vlad type money from us. He may get that elsewhere (the Mets? The Dodgers?) but not from us. If Garrett Anderson money (which he has reportedly been offered for 3 or 4 years in duration) is not enough, then he is welcome to go elsewhere. There are plenty of other RFs we can pursue with 12-14mm if Magglio doesn't want to stay here.