PDA

View Full Version : Remaining Schedule Comparison, Sox vs. Twins

jordan23ventura
06-18-2004, 02:40 AM
Minnesota:

June: 6 vs. Milwaukee, 3 vs. Boston, 2 vs. White Sox

July: 4 vs. White Sox, 7 vs. Kansas City, 3 vs. Arizona, 6 vs. Detroit, 3 vs. Baltimore, 2 vs. Tampa Bay, 2 vs. Boston

August: 1 vs. Boston, 6 vs. Anaheim, 4 vs. Oakland, 3 vs. Seattle, 6 vs. Cleveland, 3 vs. Yankees, 5 vs. Texas

September: 2 vs. Texas, 3 vs. KC, 6 vs. Baltimore, 4 vs. Detroit, 6 vs. White Sox, 4 vs. Cleveland, 3 vs. Yankees

October: 3 vs. Cleveland

Chicago:

June: 3 vs. Montreal, 4 vs. Cleveland, 3 vs. Cubs, 2 vs. Minnesota

July: 4 vs. Minnesota, 3 vs. Cubs, 3 vs. Anaheim, 3 vs. Seattle, 4 vs. Oakland, 2 vs. Texas, 2 vs. Cleveland, 6 vs. Detroit

August: 7 vs. Detroit, 6 vs. Kansas City, 8 vs. Cleveland, 6 vs. Boston, 1 vs. Oakland

September: 2 vs. Oakland, 3 vs. Seattle, 4 vs. Texas, 3 vs. Anaheim, 6 vs. Minnesota, 6 vs. Detroit, 5 vs. Kansas City

October: 3 vs. Kansas City

It is going to be hard for the Twins to come out of August better than .500, whereas our August is going to be a breeze as long as we don't pack it in and go home. July and September are the only months where the Sox should have some difficulty, but by that time we should (hopefully) have another starter, another reliever, and maybe another bat in addition to Maggs returning. September may be neck and neck (if the Twins can keep up), but Seattle, Detroit, Cleveland, and KC should all have largely AAA teams on the field. Sox play these teams 14 times, 17 including October, while the Twins play these weaker teams 14 times including October. Those three games in our favor plus the fact that Minnesota has to face the Yankees three times should help balance any difficulties we have against Anaheim and Oakland.

In total:

1. White Sox vs. Minnesota 12 times

2. Minnesota faces MIL x 6, ARI x 3, TB x 2, NYY x 6, BAL x 9 while the Sox do not.

3. Sox face PHI x 1 (make-up game), CHC x 6, MON x 3 while Minnesota does not.

4. Both Minnesota and the Sox play BOS x 6 and ANA x 6

5. The one big blow to the Sox is vs. Oakland. MIN vs. OAK x 4 while CWS vs. OAK x 7

6. Otherwise, the comparison favors the Sox, as long as they show up to play the weaker teams. Notice the huge difference in games against Detroit.

MIN vs. KC x 10 / CWS vs. KC x 14

MIN vs. SEA x 3 / CWS vs. SEA x 6

MIN vs. CLE x 13 / CWS vs. CLE x 14

MIN vs. TEX x 7 / CWS vs. TEX x 6

MIN vs. DET x 10 / MIN vs. DET x 19

The Sox still have a chance to run away with the division. The stronger teams are highlighted, and not counting their games against each other, the Sox play stronger teams 31 times, while Minnesota plays stronger teams 39 times. Also, Seattle shouldn't be a problem for us now as they will be in full rebuilding mode sooner than later, and we no longer have Koch to throw games away for us.

Railsplitter
06-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Ther Sox-Phillies game should not be made up unless it has a impact on either teams' pennant race.

Flight #24
06-18-2004, 08:44 AM
MIN vs. DET x 10 / MIN vs. DET x 19

Looks to me like this is the key. We'll need to make some hay against an improved Tiger squad. Hopefully they'll have dealt some of their tradeable, pending FAs to make it easier on us. But regardless, we should dominate them - but haven't in the past. I am confident that unlike the previous buffoon, Ozzie will have the guys ready.

3Peater
06-18-2004, 09:40 AM
The Sox still have a chance to run away with the division. The stronger teams are highlighted, and not counting their games against each other, the Sox play stronger teams 31 times, while Minnesota plays stronger teams 39 times. Also, Seattle shouldn't be a problem for us now as they will be in full rebuilding mode sooner than later, and we no longer have Koch to throw games away for us.

I don't see anyone running away with the division until the September games with Minnesota. Those 6 will determine the division, and by how much.

Remember last year: Sox/Twins had a bunch of games where MN dumped the Sox and pulled out to a bigger lead.

Also, no need to get overly excited by games up/down right now. The Twins were 7 out at the break, and a handful out in early August.

These two will be neck and neck the rest of the way out. MN beat a quality pitcher(records at Montreal mean zip) in Livan, who would help the Twins or Sox tremendously in the rotation.

Sox SHOULD have made some hay while Minnesota couldn't hit, but did not. The "average" status of both teams will keep this a close race.

Viva Magglio
06-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Ther Sox-Phillies game should not be made up unless it has a impact on either teams' pennant race.
With both teams in their respective divisional races, it probably will.

Lip Man 1
06-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Detroit like Baltimore is trying to make a statement to their fans by finishing around or at the .500 mark. I seriously don't think the Tigers are going to be unloading anyone. In fact Dombrowski may try to acquire people to help his chances of breaking the .500 barrier.

Lip

Soxzilla
06-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Don't get overly excited. Sometimes it is those weaker teams that are difficult to beat during those stretch ones.

Especially when they have young gutsy players out there trying to prove they belong in the majors, and are fighting for jobs.

Though, I think the Sox are gonna take it, and take it quick. It won't be another 2000, but I think we'll have this division wrapped up sooner, rather than later.

34 Inch Stick
06-18-2004, 02:22 PM
It's okay to look but it is way to early to analyze. This division is going to come down to Minnesota and the Sox with the head to head match ups being the deciding factor.

soxtalker
06-18-2004, 02:34 PM
It's okay to look but it is way to early to analyze. This division is going to come down to Minnesota and the Sox with the head to head match ups being the deciding factor.
I wouldn't write off the Indians or Tigers just yet. They are both within easy striking distance, and stranger things have happened.

MRKARNO
06-18-2004, 03:15 PM
The key is August when the schedule disparity is so great. We could gain 4-6 games against on the Twins if we play as well as we should.

OzzieBall2004
06-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Good post....but I think whoever said it will come down to head to head vs. the Twins is absolutely right. We need to beat them, we didnt last year when it mattered and it cost us the division. So as interesting and informative as the post was, it doesnt mean a thing if we cant beat Minny.

Also....
:happybday

Koch got traded, so its everybodys birthday today

Blob
06-18-2004, 05:48 PM
We have to make sure we take care of the Stinkies when we play them, that's it!

munchman33
06-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Detroit like Baltimore is trying to make a statement to their fans by finishing around or at the .500 mark. I seriously don't think the Tigers are going to be unloading anyone. In fact Dombrowski may try to acquire people to help his chances of breaking the .500 barrier.

Lip
I agree that they won't subtract. But I don't see them adding unless they can do something similar to what the Padres did last year when they nabbed Brian Giles, and I don't think there will be anyone out there like that (with a few years left at a reasonable rate).

pinwheels3530
06-19-2004, 04:49 AM
I am not counting anyone out,we need to beat everyone I don't care if it's a AAA team or the twins we just need to keep winning and not over look any team!!

Philo-Sox-er
06-19-2004, 08:15 AM
I second that pinwheel!

I worry more about the weak teams--the spoilers. Though ulimately, the Sox have to put a whopping on the Twins in head-to-head play.