PDA

View Full Version : oh great...Manuel content with shoddy defense

captain54
09-22-2001, 01:57 PM
This is getting old..

Manuel was quoted in todays Tribune to the effect of...."We know pitching and offense will keep us competitive...I can live with being last in the league in defense".....

Why can't we ever in this town build a team to be a World Champion rather than merely "competitive".????

Jerry, its time to think about that second career you were eluding to earlier in the week.....if you think your going to keep giving major league teams extra outs and still bring a Championship to the South Side, then I think its time to step down.....

if this is the philosophy of the entire organization, not give a crap whether we are a good defensive team or not, I believe we should all re-evaluate renewing next year's season ticket purchases....

anyone else have any reaction to this idiocy...??

Spiff
09-22-2001, 02:28 PM
If he doesn't care about defense, why did he keep starting Clayton and Ramirez in the beginning of the year?

Though that question's been asked a million times.

Jerry_Manuel
09-22-2001, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by captain54
anyone else have any reaction to this idiocy...??

Wait till Liefer is the starter at 3rd next year.

Go here to read that story:
Liefer at 3rd? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/sellhigh/index.html)

longshot7
09-22-2001, 02:34 PM
My sentiments exactly, guys....

I'm sorry, I forgot, how does that old cliche go: "Championships are won by pitching and....what?"

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-22-2001, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Wait till Liefer is the starter at 3rd next year.
[/URL]

I can not believe anyone with baseball sense would be seriously considering Jeff Liefer as everyday thirdbasemen. The guy was terrible, TERRIBLE each time Manuel stuck him there. His offensive production for thirdbasemen is mediocre at best, and doesn't Liefer throw lefty, too? He has to pivot the opposite direction each time he throws the ball to first.

Liefer is a lefty pinch hitter and occasional substitute first basemen/outfielder. If he can't fit that role, he's no value to the team.

Has the entire Sox organization gone mad?

Spiff
09-22-2001, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Next they make an offer to Carl Everett.

GASHWOUND
09-22-2001, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I can not believe anyone with baseball sense would be seriously considering Jeff Liefer as everyday thirdbasemen. The guy was terrible, TERRIBLE each time Manuel stuck him there. His offensive production for thirdbasemen is mediocre at best, and doesn't Liefer throw lefty, too? He has to pivot the opposite direction each time he throws the ball to first.

Liefer is a lefty pinch hitter and occasional substitute first basemen/outfielder. If he can't fit that role, he's no value to the team.

What!? Leifer has like 17 bombs in limited at bats and if given the chance to work in the offseason on his defense and also given the chance to get 550 ab, he COULD hit 35-38 hr's. He has played pretty good there for not playing there at all in the minors. He is the answer to are mostly dominated righthanded lineup. Who is going to be our powerhitting Lefthanded? Joe.B? He hasn't proven anything yet. Leifer has hit alot of key bombs this year including last night and he needs to be given a chance to prove himself the ENTIRE season at the plate and on the field. He will PROVE alot of people wrong. You don't give up on talent like this.