PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 1000 reporting Yankmees close to getting Garcia

Mickster
06-17-2004, 02:50 PM
ESPN 1000 reporting that Newsday is claiming that the Yankmees are close to getting Garcia. Hope this is not the case and Newsday is wrong anout another story..... :(:

DaveIsHere
06-17-2004, 02:55 PM
maybe until the Sox grab him from under their nose

now being honest with myself....we wont get him

SOXintheBURGH
06-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Baseball Tonight said the same thing a few times recently. So did the Moron on ATH yesterday, didnt even mention the Sox were interested in him.

munchman33
06-17-2004, 02:57 PM
ESPN 1000 reporting that Newsday is claiming that the Yankmees are close to getting Garcia. Hope this is not the case and Newsday is wrong anout another story..... :(:
If Newsday says he'll be in New York tomorrow then he'll be in L.A. by tonight.

OEO Magglio
06-17-2004, 02:58 PM
ESPN 1000 reporting that Newsday is claiming that the Yankmees are close to getting Garcia. Hope this is not the case and Newsday is wrong anout another story..... :(:ugh, I hope this doesn't happen.:angry:

Tekijawa
06-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Then who do we go after?

Anybody that would actually make me excited?
:troll:

DaveIsHere
06-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Then we pack it up abd start tradin away our player and begin rebuilding...haha:)

SEALgep
06-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Then who do we go after?

:troll:Livan Hernandez :bandance:

Flight #24
06-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Then who do we go after?

:
Most reasonable reports I've seen say Livan Hernandez. He'd probably be even cheaper than Garcia, but also....not as good.

fado
06-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Then we pack it up abd start tradin away our player and begin rebuilding...haha:)
That isn't even funny!

Flight #24
06-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Any word on who they allegedly traded for him? If it's not Contreras+Navarro+cash, methinks it doesn't pass the "smell test". Not much else the Yanks have to offer.

munchman33
06-17-2004, 03:06 PM
He'd probably be even cheaper than Garcia, but also....not as good.
There are some that would dispute that...

OurBitchinMinny
06-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Id rather have sheets anyways. I dont understand how the yankees could offer more than the sox. Their farm system is pretty much crap

habibharu
06-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Id rather have sheets anyways. I dont understand how the yankees could offer more than the sox. Their farm system is pretty much crapagreed! lets do that cotts and reed for sheets deal right now. :gulp: :gulp:

SEALgep
06-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Id rather have sheets anyways. I dont understand how the yankees could offer more than the sox. Their farm system is pretty much crapDon't think Sheets is going to be available.

Flight #24
06-17-2004, 03:11 PM
FWIW - on ESPN, neither the Yankees, Mariners, nor the main MLB board hass anything on this.

So it seems much like a(nother) fabricated, lazy media concoction by the last bastion of journalistic integrity: sports talk radio.

Win1ForMe
06-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Livan Hernandez :bandance:
Is Livan Hernandez even available? He signed a contract extension in April, which I thought was for the purpose of making the Expos a more attractive buy in the eyes of potential owners. I believe they're trying to do the same thing with Vidro/Cabrera (if they haven't already).

habibharu
06-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Is Livan Hernandez even available? He signed a contract extension in April, which I thought was for the purpose of making the Expos a more attractive buy in the eyes of potential owners. I believe they're trying to do the same thing with Vidro/Cabrera (if they haven't already).theyve already signed livan and vidro

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2004, 03:20 PM
True or not, I'd rather the Sox get Livan Hernandez, his reasonable contract and his World Series experience than Garcia. Most of all I would prefer Sheets.

jeremyb1
06-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Most reasonable reports I've seen say Livan Hernandez. He'd probably be even cheaper than Garcia, but also....not as good.

Which reports are those? Every reasonable report I've heard claims that the 'Spos resigned him to add to the viability of their franchise with an imminent move and he is therefore unavailable.

VaSoxfan
06-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Newsday misfires alot don't they? I'll believe this when I see it in more reliable print...and I'm suprised the Yankees would have more to offer than the Sox, haven't they shot their minor league system to pieces over the years with all their dealing? They'd be better off waiting to sign big checks to free agents in the winter...

Besides, I'd rather have Sheets. He's younger. I bet we get him, aren't Selig and Reinsdorf old pals?

Flight #24
06-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Which reports are those? Every reasonable report I've heard claims that the 'Spos resigned him to add to the viability of their franchise with an imminent move and he is therefore unavailable.
By reasonable I mean reports in mid to major publications that don't, for example, have us dealing 2 prospects for asmall market teams best player, who seems to be turning the corner to be a top-level starter, and who's not eligible for FA for a few years (Sheets).

Hernandez is signed and signed cheap, but he's got a lot of miles on him, and IMO an Expos team going nowhere would be willing to deal him for a decent prospect or a cople of lower level ones.

Dadawg_77
06-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Newsday misfires alot don't they? I'll believe this when I see it in more reliable print...and I'm suprised the Yankees would have more to offer than the Sox, haven't they shot their minor league system to pieces over the years with all their dealing? They'd be better off waiting to sign big checks to free agents in the winter...

Besides, I'd rather have Sheets. He's younger. I bet we get him, aren't Selig and Reinsdorf old pals?
Ever think the Mariners leaked this to apply pressure on trade trying to trade for Gracia. If they think the Yankees are taking a serious shot at him because of injuries, other teams could up what they are willing to pay.

habibharu
06-17-2004, 04:23 PM
By reasonable I mean reports in mid to major publications that don't, for example, have us dealing 2 prospects for asmall market teams best player, who seems to be turning the corner to be a top-level starter, and who's not eligible for FA for a few years (Sheets).

Hernandez is signed and signed cheap, but he's got a lot of miles on him, and IMO an Expos team going nowhere would be willing to deal him for a decent prospect or a cople of lower level ones. livan has a lot of miles but IIRC he's only 26 or 27

MRKARNO
06-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Well how long do you really think the Yankees are going to go on with Tanyon Sturtze in the rotation? Mussina and Brown with health problems now too. Freddy can come in and then Contreras can be used on the bullpen when Brown and Moose come back, or Lieber, who has been crappy. The Yankees have a big need for pitching, so seeing this does not surprise me.

Jjav829
06-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Wow, this thread sure has changed the story. It was never reported that the Yankees acquired Garcia. It wasn't even reported that they were close to getting him. The report on ESPN1000 was that Newsday was reporting that the Yankees were very interested in acquiring Garcia (no kidding). The update guy (was it O'Golnik - sp?) commented that if KW was going to get Garcia he may have to move quick. There's no new story here. It's the same stuff we've heard for 2 weeks about the Yankees being interested in Garcia (as well as the Red Sox, Dodgers, etc.).

Paulwny
06-17-2004, 04:37 PM
According to Newsday the yankmees have moved Robinson Cano from 2nd to 3rd to showcase him.

From Newsday:Much like every other of the team's top prospects, Cano figures to be in the middle of their trade negotiations as the July 31 trading deadline nears. The Yankees have shown interest in Seattle righthander Freddy Garcia and Kansas City centerfielder Carlos Beltran. Those teams are interested in a third baseman.

habibharu
06-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Wow, this thread sure has changed the story. It was never reported that the Yankees acquired Garcia. It wasn't even reported that they were close to getting him. The report on ESPN1000 was that Newsday was reporting that the Yankees were very interested in acquiring Garcia (no kidding). The update guy (was it O'Golnik - sp?) commented that if KW was going to get Garcia he may have to move quick. There's no new story here. It's the same stuff we've heard for 2 weeks about the Yankees being interested in Garcia (as well as the Red Sox, Dodgers, etc.). thanks for clearin that up! i thought that the yanks were on the verge of acquring him! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Flight #24
06-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Well how long do you really think the Yankees are going to go on with Tanyon Sturtze in the rotation? Mussina and Brown with health problems now too. Freddy can come in and then Contreras can be used on the bullpen when Brown and Moose come back, or Lieber, who has been crappy. The Yankees have a big need for pitching, so seeing this does not surprise me.
If the Yanks can get Garcia (or Beltran for that matter) without giving up Contreras and eating a bunch of his contract - then either other teams aren't trying or they've just given up.

Or the Mariners know something about Garcia's shoulder/elbow that they're not telling!