PDA

View Full Version : New White Sox book

Dan H
06-17-2004, 12:00 PM
My new book entitled "The Chicago White Sox - 1959 and Beyond" is scheduled to be released in August. Capturing some memorable moments, the book will feature photographs from the collections of Leo Bauby, Gerry Bilek, and Mark Fletcher.(also some photos by Bilek and Fletcher.) Overall, there will be a little more than 100 photos in the book, and I owe them a great debt of gratitude. Arcadia is the publisher and hopefully everything will remain on schedule and the book will be released on time. The book's front and back cover includes images of Comiskey Park on the first day of the 1959 World Series, a team picture of the 1959 pennant winners, an action shot of Gary Peters, and an image of Comiskey Park in the mid '80's.

I want to take this opportunity to thank George Bova since he had informed me and others that Arcadia was looking to do a Sox book. An editor at Arcadia was surfing the net and found WSI.

The editor at Arcadia liked the way this book turned out, and left the door open to me to make other proposals. Would anyone be interested in a book on the 1977 South Side Hit Men? I have also been trying to convince Roland Hemond to do a book about his life in baseball. Does that sound appealing to anyone? If it does I will include that input into any proposal I may make in the future.

The book includes quotes from several WSI members. I appreciated the input from WSI people when I was working on the book. After all, Sox fans are the people I am trying to reach, and I found that input valuable. I hope Sox fans will enjoy the book. There are enough Cub books out there already.

Baby Fisk
06-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Can't wait! :)

Does it end with a World Series???

delben91
06-17-2004, 12:03 PM
My new book entitled "The Chicago White Sox - 1959 and Beyond" is scheduled to be released in August. Capturing some memorable moments, the book will feature photographs from the collections of Leo Bauby, Gerry Bilek, and Mark Fletcher.(also some photos by Bilek and Fletcher.) Overall, there will be a little more than 100 photos in the book, and I owe them a great debt of gratitude. Arcadia is the publisher and hopefully everything will remain on schedule and the book will be released on time. The book's front and back cover includes images of Comiskey Park on the first day of the 1959 World Series, a team picture of the 1959 pennant winners, an action shot of Gary Peters, and an image of Comiskey Park in the mid '80's.

I want to take this opportunity to thank George Bova since he had informed me and others that Arcadia was looking to do a Sox book. An editor at Arcadia was surfing the net and found WSI.

The editor at Arcadia liked the way this book turned out, and left the door open to me to make other proposals. Would anyone be interested in a book on the 1977 South Side Hit Men? I have also been trying to convince Roland Hemond to do a book about his life in baseball. Does that sound appealing to anyone? If it does I will include that input into any proposal I may make in the future.

The book includes quotes from several WSI members. I appreciated the input from WSI people when I was working on the book. After all, Sox fans are the people I am trying to reach, and I found that input valuable. I hope Sox fans will enjoy the book. There are enough Cub books out there already.

Congrats on the new book! :gulp:

As for future books, I'd definitely love to read a book chronicling Roland Hemond.

minastirith67
06-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Congratulations! Way to get word out about the Sox.

SOXintheBURGH
06-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Wow that sounds really really cool. I hope you go through with it, I'll definitely pick up a copy of anything Sox related.

the_valenstache
06-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Sounds great. A good Sox book is something my collection sorely lacks.

Hopefully they'll use your book to replace the "For Cubs Fans ONLY!" text which sits at the checkout at the local Walgreens (the book which, I might also add, contains an entire chapter dedicated to vitriol towards Sox fans including an 'article' titled "Sox Fans Are Proof That Hell is Full and the Dead Are Walking the Earth.")

sas1974
06-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Congrats on the book. To answer one of your questions, I think a book on the life of Roland Hemond would be fascinating. He is one of the great minds in the game and it would be very interesting if he was able to share a little of that with all of us.

tebman
06-17-2004, 01:47 PM
I definitely think that the 1977 season would be a great topic for a book. Enough time has passed that it can be looked at with some context, and there should still be a lot of people around (fans, players, Sox staff, writers, etc.) who remember that year.

There's that great photo book of scenes from the '77 season ("Park Views," I think is the title). The pictures really capture the texture of that place and time, but I'm sure there are stories to be told: Veeck as ringmaster, Soderholm's comeback, rent-a-player, "Na-Na, Hey-Hey," the Sox Supporters in left field, the wild games against Kansas City, etc., etc.

Congratulations on your new book! I'll be watching for it for sure.

- tebman

Baby Fisk
06-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Something that gets touched on occasionally is the fact that the Sox have never had a natural rival. Instead, the Sox have had a crosstown competitor in the other league, and a host of different rivals according to each era. I'd like to see a book that looks at Sox rivalries as they have evolved over the years, looking at pivotal personalities, series and games where things heated up or even overheated. Eg.:

1906: Sox-Cubs World Series
1917: Sox-Giants World Series
1940s-1960s: Sox-Yankees, Sox-Indians
1970s: Sox-Royals, Sox-A's
1990s: Sox-Indians
2000s: Sox-Twinkies

Sox-Cubs could be an undercurrent carried through the entire book, right up to the present-day battles being fought (especially in the media).

I've seen little bits of this idea brought forward in various books by Bob Vanderburg, Dan Helpingstine and others, but never in a single volume covering the teams history from 1901 to present. Just an idea...

jackbrohamer
06-17-2004, 02:07 PM
I think a book on the life of Roland Hemond would be fascinating. He is one of the great minds in the game and it would be very interesting if he was able to share a little of that with all of us.
I agree, plus he's been around so long -- and worked with so many different players, GMs and others -- that I bet it could have some interest outside the Chicago market.

The '77 Sox were one of my favorite teams but I know already I won't like your ending

Foulke You
06-17-2004, 02:14 PM
I enjoyed your previous book as well so I'm really looking forward to the new book Dan. I think I might be one of the WSI quotes in there so I look forward to that too.:smile:

Either the 77 team or Hemond would make for good reading.

SOXSINCE'70
06-17-2004, 02:28 PM

The editor at Arcadia liked the way this book turned out, and left the door open to me to make other proposals. Would anyone be interested in a book on the 1977 South Side Hit Men? I have also been trying to convince Roland Hemond to do a book about his life in baseball. Does that sound appealing to anyone? If it does I will include that ianput into any proposal I may make in the future.

Dan,

Loved your book "Through Hope and Despair".You autographed it for me at Soxfest 2002.Let us know how to get a copy.I'm very interested.There are way too many books (and DVD's) about the sCrUBS out there.Any chance of a Sox history DVD?? Yeah,right.I know. It's Richard Roeper time;
"A Sox Fan Living in sCrUBbie Nation".:cool: :cool:

hose
06-17-2004, 04:42 PM

I'm looking forward to buying the book in August

TommyJohn
06-17-2004, 04:52 PM

How about a volume on the 1967 White Sox? I have long fantasized about
doing my own book on them. That would make for great reading. Selling it
I'm not too sure about.

Dan H
06-17-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement and input. I will let Roland Hemond know that fans want to read about him. He has been hesitant about taking on such a project because he doesn't think that people would be interested. I don't know if he would let me do the book, but at this point, I want to encourage him. He has done a lot for the franchise. In fact, I think he helped keep the team in Chicago when turned the Sox around in the early '70's. In 1970 the Sox won a measely 56 while not even drawing 500,000. In 1972, they won 87 and drew 1.1 million. That was quite an accomplishment by a great baseball man.

Again, thanks for input. It is valuable.

Cubbiesuck13
06-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Dan,

Loved your book "Through Hope and Despair".You autographed it for me at Soxfest 2002.Let us know how to get a copy.I'm very interested.There are way too many books (and DVD's) about the sCrUBS out there.Any chance of a Sox history DVD?? Yeah,right.I know. It's Richard Roeper time;
"A Sox Fan Living in sCrUBbie Nation".:cool: :cool:
I forgot the name of the VHS but when I was younger we had one that was all about the sox and their history. It was very good. I always wondered when ther would be a new one. Can anyone help me out on the title of the old one?

MikeW
06-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi, The name of that video is called 'A Visual History'. It is narrated by the 'late' Jean Sheperd and has a lot of rare footage on the Sox. It came out around 1988 or 1989. Hope this helps.

Cubbiesuck13
06-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Hi, The name of that video is called 'A Visual History'. It is narrated by the 'late' Jean Sheperd and has a lot of rare footage on the Sox. It came out around 1988 or 1989. Hope this helps.
dead on. thanks a bunch. i remember watching that video every saturday when i was younger. good times

Lip Man 1
06-17-2004, 10:28 PM
The tape came out in 1987. I enjoyed it then and I enjoy it now. I just wish they had some actual TV video of Dick Allen instead of using film of him in the 1974 All Star Game in Pittsburgh.

Lip