PDA

View Full Version : Mets get Hidalgo from 'Stros

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-17-2004, 11:48 AM
this doesnt really involve the sox much, but the mets did supposedly have interest in maggs. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1823843 . It is Hidalgo and 4 million for David Weathers.

Dadawg_77
06-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Rich is only guarnteed 2 million next year. I doubt the Mets/Houston will opt for the $15 million option.

Brian26
06-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Rich is only guarnteed 2 million next year. I doubt the Mets/Houston will opt for the $15 million option.

Hidalgo slumped pretty badly before picking it up late last year. Interesting move. Astros must need bullpen help badly.

Dadawg_77
06-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Hidalgo slumped pretty badly before picking it up late last year. Interesting move. Astros must need bullpen help badly.
They do.

MarkEdward
06-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Interestingly enough, this deal does involve the Sox- in a way. By acquiring Hidalgo, the Mets will no longer pursue Magglio Ordonez in the offseason (their outfield will be set with Floyd-Cameron-Hidalgo). That leaves one less big-market suitor for Mags and may give the Sox a better chance to re-sign him.

Great trade for the Mets. Hidalgo is still relatively young (28 in July). He's had some down years, but his career OPS+ is very good (119) and he seems like a pretty healthy player. Dave Weathers is a decent enough reliever, but he's nothing special and is struggling a bit this year. IMO, the Astros could have gotten much more for Hidalgo.

Dadawg_77
06-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Interestingly enough, this deal does involve the Sox- in a way. By acquiring Hidalgo, the Mets will no longer pursue Magglio Ordonez in the offseason (their outfield will be set with Floyd-Cameron-Hidalgo). That leaves one less big-market suitor for Mags and may give the Sox a better chance to re-sign him.
The Mets would be stupid to pay Hidalgo 15 million next year. There is no way he warrents that on an open market. They may try to resign him after no accepting the option, but that isn't guaranteed, so the Mets still can be players for Hidalgo.

sas1974
06-17-2004, 03:11 PM
I would guess that given the choice of paying Maggs $15MM or Richard "freakin'" Hidalgo $15MM, anyone w/ 1/2 a brain would opt for Maggs.

bennyw41
06-17-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm waiting for the thread stating the Sox shoulda got these players. Seems like everytime there is movement in the MLB, there are people on this board who say it is a opportunity passed by the sox.

For me, I say, who cares about this deal?!?!?! Everyone knew he was going somewhere, and with a contract like his, I can't be surprised it was to a NY team.

samram
06-17-2004, 04:30 PM
I would guess that given the choice of paying Maggs $15MM or Richard "freakin'" Hidalgo $15MM, anyone w/ 1/2 a brain would opt for Maggs.
If I had to pay either of them $15M, I would remove my entire brain and examine it carefully to see what flaw in the human mind would allow either of these guys to be worth more than Vlad Guerrero.