PDA

View Full Version : Jerk fan

inta
06-17-2004, 10:52 AM
I'm sure most have seen this on the sports shows, but if not, here's the video

http://chicagotv.feedroom.com/index.jsp?fr_story=FEEDROOM74380&auto_band=x

DaveIsHere
06-17-2004, 11:11 AM
That is pretty funny that the guy didnt realize what an ass he is, but it worked out for the kid, he got a bat and a ball directly from a player, I bet that guy felt like an even bigger ass after that.

Hokiesox
06-17-2004, 11:12 AM
That's the first I saw it, I hope that guy gets banned from every ballpark in America. Man, I caught my first foul ball at age 23, and I immediately gave it to the 3 year old kid a row in front of me. The upper deck at Camden Yards gave a pretty good round of applause, and the ushers brought me free drinks and hotdogs and stuff. They were playing the Royals, so I wasn't wearing my Sox stuff.

Baby Fisk
06-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks inta for posting the link. Didn't see it until now.

What an ass! The jerk's girlfriend looks like she wants to die! If there's a kid nearby, they should always get the ball. Who doesn't know that?!

Dadawg_77
06-17-2004, 11:23 AM

What an ass! The jerk's girlfriend looks like she wants to die! If there's a kid nearby, they should always get the ball. Who doesn't know that?!Today, the guy said he was sorry and gave the ball plus a coupld of ranger tickets to the kid.

You know this could be one of the better things to happen to this kids, besides the stuff the Rangers gave him, he also got a trip to New York for some morning show and tickets to the Mets.

Baby Fisk
06-17-2004, 11:29 AM
he also got a trip to New York for some morning show and tickets to the Mets.
Seriously? Now that seems like overkill.

inta
06-17-2004, 11:36 AM

What an ass! The jerk's girlfriend looks like she wants to die! If there's a kid nearby, they should always get the ball. Who doesn't know that?!
there's a story on sportsline about it saying that the jerk's girlfriend and friend both left the game before him, for obvious reason's i'm sure.

You're right on about the kids. What's an adult going to do with it anyway? stick it in a drawer? sell it on ebay for 10 bucks?

Brian26
06-17-2004, 12:48 PM
You're right on about the kids. What's an adult going to do with it anyway? stick it in a drawer? sell it on ebay for 10 bucks?

Let's play devil's advocate here...

Maybe the guy is a lifelong baseball fan who has dreamed about one day catching a foul ball at a game. How many of us can say we've caught a foul ball? It's truly a pretty cool experience, and I think it's every fan's dream.

What's he going to do with it? Maybe put it in a steiner case and display it on his desk or baseball shelf at home? Not a bad thing at all...

Let's look at the kid- Is he a huge baseball fan? Does he like Pokemon and soccer more than baseball? What's the kid going to do with the ball? Throw it around in the yard? Stick in a drawer? Sell it on Ebay? Where will the ball be in 20 years?

I think what happened to kid is bad. But, there is a defense that needs to be presented for the guy in this situation....maybe he became a kid again when he saw that ball coming towards him. It doesn't make it right...but I think we can emphatize with the guy here.

inta
06-17-2004, 12:56 PM
.but I think we can emphatize with the guy here.

umm, no.
hell no.

:angry:

Brian26
06-17-2004, 01:00 PM
umm, no.
hell no.

I knew someone would immediately disagree with me. I just wanted to see how long it would take.

Brian26
06-17-2004, 01:01 PM
umm, no.
hell no.

By the way, I spelled empathized incorrectly.

Baby Fisk
06-17-2004, 01:06 PM
The worst part of it is that the guy showed what a hero he is in front of his girlfriend (making an assumption, it might have been his sister for all we know, but still...). "Oh honey, the way you mowed down that kid for the ball was so studly!"

The chilling lesson here is that society has made it possible for every move one makes to be captured on camera and shown to the world. Let's all be careful out there. :cool:

SSN721
06-17-2004, 01:09 PM
It doesn't make it right...but I think we can emphatize with the guy here.

This was supposed to be in teal right? :smile: I can see where you are coming from but I think you also cant estimate how much that little kid might like baseball or if nobody did anything the incident might turn away a possible lifetime baseball fan. A jerk diving over stands to steal a ball from a little kid is not a good image for MLB to encourage families to come to games. It is a little overboard what the kid got, but oh well. The overkill can only leave a good impression on him.

Dadawg_77
06-17-2004, 01:11 PM
This was supposed to be in teal right? :smile: I can see where you are coming from but I think you also cant estimate how much that little kid might like baseball or if nobody did anything the incident might turn away a possible lifetime baseball fan. A jerk diving over stands to steal a ball from a little kid is not a good image for MLB to encourage families to come to games. It is a little overboard what the kid got, but oh well. The overkill can only leave a good impression on him.
If all the guy did was dive and get the ball, then give it to the kid, it wouldn't be anything. What made him look bad was his reaction after getting the ball.

FarWestChicago
06-17-2004, 01:13 PM
By the way, I spelled empathized incorrectly.I did install a new spell checker last night. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

delben91
06-17-2004, 01:14 PM
The worst part of it is that the guy showed what a hero he is in front of his girlfriend (making an assumption, it might have been his sister for all we know, but still...). "Oh honey, the way you mowed down that kid for the ball was so studly!"

Continuing the assumption that it was his girlfriend. He likely would've made a better impression giving the ball to the kid. It's a much more "sensitive" thing to do.

SOXintheBURGH
06-17-2004, 01:31 PM
I've seen the incident a few times and it still gets the same reaction from me. Yeah the guy was a jerkass for hitting that kid, but maybe he didnt even know he was there, or forgot he was there trying to get the ball. He apologized and gave the kid free stuff. Just be thankful it didn't happen at the Cell. The guy would be admonished like Ligue every day in the Cubune and Cub-Times every single day.

"If you survive making it past the violence and gangs and get inside US Cellular Field, you can still get killed by fans diving on top of children because White Sox fans are murderous trolls from the Abyss who thrive on childrens tears."

:troll: ----> :gulp: ----> :whiner:

Baby Fisk
06-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Just be thankful it didn't happen at the Cell. The guy would be admonished like Ligue every day in the Cubune and Cub-Times every single day.

"If you survive making it past the violence and gangs and get inside US Cellular Field, you can still get killed by fans diving on top of children because White Sox fans are murderous trolls from the Abyss who thrive on childrens tears."
LMAO! Freakin hilarious, Burgh! :rolling:

Brian26
06-17-2004, 02:39 PM
I did install a new spell checker last night. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Very nice feature!

wilburaga
06-17-2004, 02:39 PM
They've identified the fan, he's apologized, and given the ball to the kid.

The fan is described as married, a landscaper, and a former youth minister.

Two questions beckon.

1) Is he married to the woman he was sitting next to? If not, uh oh.

2) What's with the 'former youth minister' deal?

W

Brian26
06-17-2004, 02:42 PM

Totally true. Like I said, I was playing devil's advocate from the start on this...and you're right, who the hell knows- maybe the kid is actually a bigger baseball fan that the guy who caught the ball. That really puts this argument to shame. I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt thinking he just became a kid himself, caught up in the moment of catching a ball. It sounds like he tried to make amends with the kid, so hopefully everything works out for the best.

Dadawg_77
06-17-2004, 02:53 PM
I did install a new spell checker last night. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
:D: THANKS:D:

Dadawg_77
06-17-2004, 02:59 PM
I did install a new spell checker last night. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gifWITH A THESAURUS. Oh ****, that is sweeter then pure sugar on Jessica Alba naked body.

sas1974
06-17-2004, 03:27 PM
"Oh yeah?!? Well, the Jerk Store called and their all outta you."
I have caught a couple foul balls in my day and they have both gone to little kids near me. I almost broke my arm patting myself on the back for the random act of kindness.

Dadawg_77
06-17-2004, 03:42 PM
I have caught a couple foul balls in my day and they have both gone to little kids near me. I almost broke my arm patting myself on the back for the random act of kindness.
I think I did hear just crack now, though.:smile:

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2004, 03:42 PM
I saw the video clip on the news here in Dallas. It appears to me that the guy fell over and merely bumped into the kid. When he stood up, he fell backward and bumped into the kid again. I wasn't there, but it looked like an accident. Then the kid's mother smacked the guy on the head with her magazine/program/etc.

In all honesty, the guy really didn't do anything wrong. Maybe it wasn't very nice of him to not give the ball to the kid, but I don't think he was the jerk that everyone makes him out to be. If anything the mother was most out of line for deliberately hitting the guy in the head with her magazine/program.

And furthermore, the absolute media circle jerk surrounding this minor incident is the biggest disgrace. Come on, flying the kid and his folks to New York for a live appearance on Good Morning America? Having TV and newspaper reporters hanging out like a pack of vultures outside of the guy's house as if he's some kind of child molester or serial killer? Please. This is getting more play than most murders. The emphasis on this "affair" is a complete joke. This has been the lead story on the evening news here in Dallas. Must be a really slow news week. This is why I hate the media. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Media = vultures

Baby Fisk
06-17-2004, 03:52 PM
I saw the video clip on the news here in Dallas. It appears to me that the guy fell over and merely bumped into the kid. When he stood up, he fell backward and bumped into the kid again. I wasn't there, but it looked like an accident. Then the kid's mother smacked the guy on the head with her magazine/program/etc.

In all honesty, the guy really didn't do anything wrong. Maybe it wasn't very nice of him to not give the ball to the kid, but I don't think he was the jerk that everyone makes him out to be. If anything the mother was most out of line for deliberately hitting the guy in the head with her magazine/program.
This turned into an incident because of the way the guy acted AFTER he fell over and got up again. It was all about his reaction. He pumped his arm with the ball like a warrior, then sat down with his prize instead of offering it to the kid. It was his reaction that earned him scorn, starting immediately with the broadcaster. If he had handed the ball to the kid and asked if the little guy was OK, we'd have never heard of the jerk. Imagine what would have happened if Moises Alou never threw his little hissy-fit when a ball sailed into the stands in Wrigley during NLCS Game 6 last October? We may never have heard the name Steve Bartman. The folks in Wrigley saw Moises freaking out, so they all freaked out. It's always the immediate reaction to something that frames how others will react...because, yes, I'm misanthropic and believe that most humans are mindless sheep. But that's for another thread...:cool:

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2004, 04:02 PM
This turned into an incident because of the way the guy acted AFTER he fell over and got up again. It was all about his reaction. He pumped his arm with the ball like a warrior, then sat down with his prize instead of offering it to the kid. It was his reaction that earned him scorn, starting immediately with the broadcaster. If he had handed the ball to the kid and asked if the little guy was OK, we'd have never heard of the jerk. Imagine what would have happened if Moises Alou never threw his little hissy-fit when a ball sailed into the stands in Wrigley during NLCS Game 6 last October? We may never have heard the name Steve Bartman. The folks in Wrigley saw Moises freaking out, so they all freaked out. It's always the immediate reaction to something that frames how others will react...because, yes, I'm misanthropic and believe that most humans are mindless sheep. But that's for another thread...:cool:

I saw that too and while it was irresponsible or immature, IMHO there are many worse things that go on at ball games than his display. I'm not exonerating the guy, but I don't think what he did was all that heinous. It was immature, but no one was harmed in any way, nor was there an attempt to cause any physical harm. I equate it with giving someone the finger. As I said, my problem lies with the media circus.

Immature, yes. Worthy of Good Morning America and the lead story on the evening news? Not even maybe.

Baby Fisk
06-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Worthy of Good Morning America and the lead story on the evening news? Not even close.
Yeah, that's messed up. You'd think the TV world would have a story backlog after all the Reagan stuff last week.

voodoochile
06-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Let's play devil's advocate here...

Maybe the guy is a lifelong baseball fan who has dreamed about one day catching a foul ball at a game. How many of us can say we've caught a foul ball? It's truly a pretty cool experience, and I think it's every fan's dream.

What's he going to do with it? Maybe put it in a steiner case and display it on his desk or baseball shelf at home? Not a bad thing at all...

Let's look at the kid- Is he a huge baseball fan? Does he like Pokemon and soccer more than baseball? What's the kid going to do with the ball? Throw it around in the yard? Stick in a drawer? Sell it on Ebay? Where will the ball be in 20 years?

I think what happened to kid is bad. But, there is a defense that needs to be presented for the guy in this situation....maybe he became a kid again when he saw that ball coming towards him. It doesn't make it right...but I think we can emphatize with the guy here.
Up until he sat their gloating, I agree.

The ball is coming. You go for it. You get it, you end up flat on your ass, it wasn't intentional, he lost his balance. Then the lady starts smacking him and yelling at him. Now before he can ge his bearings, he is angry. We all would be. I don't think he set out to hurt anybody and the kid may have been startled, but he wasn't hurt. Mommy making a huge scene probably freaked him out just as much.

Sure, he should have given the ball to the kid, but after the beats on him and yells at him and publicly humiliates him, I can understand why he is thinking, "screw you. I ain't giving this bitches kid the ball." It wasn't about the kid, it was about the Mom from his perspective.

Having said all of that, I do think he should have been more aware of where he was and what was going on. Big people need to take extra precautions when jumping around by little kids...

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Up until he sat their gloating, I agree.

The ball is coming. You go for it. You get it, you end up flat on your ass, it wasn't intentional, he lost his balance. Then the lady starts smacking him and yelling at him. Now before he can ge his bearings, he is angry. We all would be. I don't think he set out to hurt anybody and the kid may have been startled, but he wasn't hurt. Mommy making a huge scene probably freaked him out just as much.

Sure, he should have given the ball to the kid, but after the beats on him and yells at him and publicly humiliates him, I can understand why he is thinking, "screw you. I ain't giving this bitches kid the ball." It wasn't about the kid, it was about the Mom from his perspective.

Having said all of that, I do think he should have been more aware of where he was and what was going on. Big people need to take extra precautions when jumping around by little kids...

Voodoo, I am in almost complete agreement. :smile:

Railsplitter
06-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Damn, I hoped this thread was started by somebody who liked Jamaican cusine

Blob
06-18-2004, 05:12 PM
It amazes me how stupid people get over baseballs at ball games. Its just a ball. If you want one that bad go to the store and buy one! You can get the same ones.

Also, to the people who throw back other teams home run balls...if you don't want the ball give it to a kid!!! I have given several baseballs to kids and they love it! If I don't want it then I will give it away.

Besides, that's something that the OTHER team does not us! Stop please!