PDA

View Full Version : A Right Fielder Version of "Them vs. Us"

Viva Magglio
06-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Since this involves Mágglio Ordóńez, I am posting this here instead of the PL. Maggs' contract issue aside, I say we should have a little fun with a "right fielder comparison."

THEIR RF: Egotistical Showboat Hot Dog
OUR RF: Quiet Polite Altar Boy

THEIR RF: Hops like a bunny when he goes deep
OUR RF: Just runs the bases and smiles

THEIR RF: Chicago's most overappreciated baseball player
OUR RF: Chicago's most underappreciated baseball player

THEIR RF: Likes Flinstone Vitamins, or so he says
OUR RF: Likes Pepsi

THEIR RF: Loathed by Sox Nation, especially by José Valentín
OUR RF: Loved by Sox Nation, especially by José Valentín.

THEIR RF: Corked his bat and lied about its usage by claiming it was an accident
OUR RF: Hopefully removes cork from champagne bottles in late September

THEIR RF: Traded by us, thank God.
OUR RF: Hopefully kept by us, please JR!!!!

SOX (AND MAGGLIO) PRIDE

Oh...and da mare likes our right fielder better.

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2004, 09:55 AM
E-mail this to Brooks Boyer. This rocks. :gulp:

Jerko
06-17-2004, 10:16 AM
This us/them thing was funny, but come on, it's time to move on. Everybody is so happy that Boyer returns every email; do you thing that's gonna keep happening if everyone sends him their "us/them" ideas? This really makes us NOT look like the obsessed idiots that we hate Cub fans for being now, doesn't it? It was funny while it lasted, but why stop here? We can do an us/them about RF/CF/LF/C/P/1b/2b/3b/ss/dh/bench/bars/ivy/bathrooms/pissing on hands or lawns/ etc. Let's email them all to Boyer and keep recycling this because it worked once. Leave the guy alone unless you have a legitimate gripe or idea for improvement. Sorry about that but when does it end with this "Cubsession"? Yes I enjoy when they lose, and the playoffs ARE a better place without them, but we're keeping count on who buys more Subway Sandwiches for Christ sakes.

DSpivack
06-17-2004, 10:21 AM
I understand that Magglio Ordonez is underrated, but due to how much I've heard this over the last couple years I'm beginning to think his being underrated is overrated.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-17-2004, 10:26 AM
but we're keeping count on who buys more Subway Sandwiches for Christ sakes.
That's the world we live in these days, everything is made to be a big deal. I mean you can't even slap a girl playfully on the can anymore without the big brother coming down on you.

Jerko
06-17-2004, 10:37 AM
That's the world we live in these days, everything is made to be a big deal. I mean you can't even slap a girl playfully on the can anymore without the big brother coming down on you.
Now THAT is unfortunate.

Palehose13
06-17-2004, 11:15 AM
What are you talking about, I do it all the time?!?!?!?!

Jerko
06-17-2004, 11:19 AM
What are you talking about, I do it all the time?!?!?!?!You're allowed to because you are a girl too. :angry: Us guys would get arrested.

bafiarocks03
06-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Dude, thats awesome, that would be an awesome commercial!!

MRKARNO
06-17-2004, 04:26 PM
I understand that Magglio Ordonez is underrated, but due to how much I've heard this over the last couple years I'm beginning to think his being underrated is overrated. I tend to agree. While Magglio is a top level player like Sosa, Magglio is not as good of a hitter as Sosa. Magglio's best years dont really compare with those of Sosa. While Sosa does K a lot, he also walks a lot too, moreso than Magglio. I know it is heresy around here to say it, but it's undeniable that Sosa is, or at least was better at the same stage of their respective careers. They are probably about equal this year, but Sosa did draw 21 Walks in his 35 games compared to Magglio's 14 in 42. Their other stats were near identical except Sosa had a bit more power, while Maggs was more consistant. While Sosa definately has a ton of character issues and isn't as lovable as people make him out to be, he's as good or better than Magglio as a hitter.

The anti-Sosa backlash will commence in 3...2...

FarWestChicago
06-17-2004, 04:35 PM
I tend to agree. While Magglio is a top level player like Sosa, Magglio is not as good of a hitter as Sosa. Magglio's best years dont really compare with those of Sosa.How about looking only at Sham-ME's pre-Nandrolone numbers for a realistic comparison.

Dan1972
06-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Their Right Fielder : Allegedly threw a rum bottle at his wife.....

TaylorStSox
06-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Maggs was underated 3 years ago. This simply isn't the case anymore. He gets tons of national media exposure. In fact, he gets more than Frank and their lifetime numbers don't really compare.

Sosa was a better hitter in his prime. However, I'd still take Maggs for all of those "intangible" reasons.
ie. better in the clubhouse
better teamate
better situational hitter
better baserunner
better fielder

petekat
06-17-2004, 06:21 PM
you are most correct, sir!

:bandance:

This us/them thing was funny, but come on, it's time to move on. Everybody is so happy that Boyer returns every email; do you thing that's gonna keep happening if everyone sends him their "us/them" ideas? This really makes us NOT look like the obsessed idiots that we hate Cub fans for being now, doesn't it? It was funny while it lasted, but why stop here? We can do an us/them about RF/CF/LF/C/P/1b/2b/3b/ss/dh/bench/bars/ivy/bathrooms/pissing on hands or lawns/ etc. Let's email them all to Boyer and keep recycling this because it worked once. Leave the guy alone unless you have a legitimate gripe or idea for improvement. Sorry about that but when does it end with this "Cubsession"? Yes I enjoy when they lose, and the playoffs ARE a better place without them, but we're keeping count on who buys more Subway Sandwiches for Christ sakes.