PDA

View Full Version : Not disappointed to see Lee's streak end

A. Cavatica
06-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Curious: Is there anyone who's really disappointed to see his streak end? If so, why?

Look, he was only halfway to DiMaggio. There is no way Carlos Lee is ever going to have two 28-game streaks back to back, so it might as well end before it becomes a media circus.

I'm happy Carlos passed Belle, but I'm a little bit sad he passed Appling. Mostly I liked the streak because it meant Carlos is being productive at the plate, not because he was lucky the hits kept coming in consecutive games.

OurBitchinMinny
06-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Im happy for him. Obviously I would have like to see it go further, but it could be good that it ended. Maybe he will start to hit with more power, but I hope he maintains his average

SoxFan76
06-16-2004, 08:46 PM
The hit streak was great, but I sure miss the 2003 Carlos. He was a lot more productive, had a decent average, and hit for much more power. I'm not one to freak out over Sosa-like home run numbers, but if you can sacrifice a little average for a few more dingers, than I'm all for that. Guys like Carlos aren't suppoosed to be getting on for other guys to drive him in. He is the driver-inner, not the driver-inneree. (Catch my drift :D: ) In English, Carlos=RBI man, not OBP man.

And yes, he had a lot of RBIs during the streak, but he should have more on the season. Especially with Frank getting on base so much.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-16-2004, 08:46 PM
1.) I'm glad Lee broke the team record. I believe there is reflected glory for a ballplayer like Luke Appling to suddenly be rediscovered by a group of younger fans simply because his long-standing record is finally broken.

2.) I'm glad the Sox got some publicity for Lee's hitting exploits. It was almost Cub-like. Almost, of course.

3.) I'm more glad the Sox have been winning. Individual stats are for Cubs fans to fawn over. Give me the wins.

Railsplitter
06-16-2004, 08:52 PM
All good things must end. :(:

HomeFish
06-16-2004, 08:56 PM
If its July and I see Carlos come up and the announcers say "Carlos has hit safely in 56 of his last 57 games" then I'll be upset because of his 0-for today.

Otherwise, I'm just upset because the Sox and Astros lost and the Expos probably will.

Cubbiesuck13
06-16-2004, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=A. Cavatica]

Look, he was only halfway to DiMaggio. There is no way Carlos Lee is ever going to have two 28-game streaks back to back, so it might as well end before it becomes a media circus.

QUOTE]

and we all know that we don't need any MORE meida coverage.

OEO Magglio
06-16-2004, 09:15 PM
1.) I'm glad Lee broke the team record. I believe there is reflected glory for a ballplayer like Luke Appling to suddenly be rediscovered by a group of younger fans simply because his long-standing record is finally broken.

2.) I'm glad the Sox got some publicity for Lee's hitting exploits. It was almost Cub-like. Almost, of course.

3.) I'm more glad the Sox have been winning. Individual stats are for Cubs fans to fawn over. Give me the wins.Exactly, the hit streak was nice and all but it wouldn't have meant anything if this team wasn't winning. Honestly, I care very little about individual stats it's all about winning.

npdempse
06-16-2004, 09:45 PM
It was fun while it lasted, really no big deal that it ended. I was hoping, though, that he'd hit 30, as that's kind of a "magic number" wrt hitting streaks that puts you into a very small club and writes you into MLB history books.

Here's hoping CLee now goes on a consecutive game homer streak like he did last year. :D:

Nick@Nite
06-16-2004, 10:21 PM
I don't give a crap if he'd hit only one single for 57 games in a row. A 28 game hitting streak, regardless of the power numbers, is a real accomplishment.

The only thing I'm sad is seeing the streak come to en end.

mdep524
06-17-2004, 12:00 AM
I am a little sad to see it go, but an argument could be made that Lee will be a BETTER hitter now that the streak is over. For example, in the 9th inning tonight with a runner on base, he swung like a madman at a face-high fastball from Pavano and struck out. Normally, Carlos might lay off this pitch, but maybe he was a bit over anxious to try to get a hit to extend his streak so he had a bad at bat.

I'm not saying I necessarily think he'll be more productive now that the streak is over, I'm just bringing up the idea.

gosox3072
06-17-2004, 01:25 AM
Why would we not want his streak to become a media circus? I'd love sportcenter to start off with a story about the sox. That hasn't happened much to me in my short 18 years. I was kinda lookin forward to carlos hiting #35 or so and seeing a "caballo watch" or something on SC.

IA_soxfan
06-17-2004, 02:30 AM
I am a little sad to see it go, but an argument could be made that Lee will be a BETTER hitter now that the streak is over. For example, in the 9th inning tonight with a runner on base, he swung like a madman at a face-high fastball from Pavano and struck out. Normally, Carlos might lay off this pitch, but maybe he was a bit over anxious to try to get a hit to extend his streak so he had a bad at bat.

I'm not saying I necessarily think he'll be more productive now that the streak is over, I'm just bringing up the idea.
I see what you're saying, but its kind of a catch-22. If he were to keep his streak up then he would almost assuredly be producing at a very good clip.

34 Inch Stick
06-17-2004, 08:51 AM
I want Lee and every other Sox to get a hit every time up. Yes its disappointing, but less disappointing than the loss.

As for the power...well the Cubs are at Comiskey next weekend and you know how Carlos does against the Cubs.

SoxFan78
06-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Im just happy that Carlos Lee made it on Pardon the Interuption last night. Kudos to him. The 56 game hitting streak is the second hardest record in baseball to break. The hardest record IMHP is the back-to-back no hitters.

Way to go El Caballo!

Blob
06-17-2004, 09:52 AM
When Carlos was swinging for the fences in the beggining of the year, he wasn't doing that well. He had a lot of pop ups.

Just keep swinging for average, the RBIs and Homers will come!!

"Coolness" is being a SOX fan!

VenturaSoxFan23
06-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Anything that erases all memories of Albert Belle from White Sox record books is alright by me. :D:

It might just be me, but did anybody notice the symbolism of Carlos' record-tying hit smack off the wall of all those greats who had their numbers retired by our beloved Sox? It was as if Carlos was saying, "I'm coming to etch my name into the record books."

duke of dorwood
06-17-2004, 01:00 PM
I'm glad he made it too, but would like to see him rested to get Gload in there tonight

the_valenstache
06-17-2004, 01:01 PM

Agreed. Griffey probably would have 5 homers in the last 6 days if he wasn't sitting on 499.

Besides the fact that Pavano served us a fat nutslap, Carlos took a few swings that were uncharacteristic. Not pleased to see the streak over, but it's easy to see that as the # of games build-up, so does the pressure.

Here's to Carlos starting another 20+ streak tonight. :gulp:

akingamongstmen
06-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Carlos was obviously pressing to keep it going...now he can return to being an all-around hitter (taking walks, moving runners along, etc.). Nobody's catching Dimaggio anyway.