PDA

View Full Version : Will the real Scott Schoeneweis please stand up?

A. Cavatica
06-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Schoeneweis has been a very mediocre pitcher for the past month -- averaging six innings a start, which is fine for a fourth starter, but allowing too many baserunners. He is definitely not another Loaiza.

6/16 6.1 10 4 4 2 2
6/11 6 8 5 5 2 6
6/5 5 7 4 4 5 4
5/30 7 5 2 2 1 4
5/25 6 9 5 5 2 5
5/19 6 5 3 3 5 6

I think his ERA for the rest of the season will be around five. His career ERA is 4.98 (not sure if that includes tonight's game) and he was 5.08 in his last full season as a starter.

As always, the problems is getting righthanders out. This season they have 233 at-bats against him, with a .358 OBP and .433 SLG. I'm pretty sure those numbers don't include tonight, and I'm pretty sure that if he keeps starting, his numbers against righties will approach his three-year averages (.366 OBP, .457 SLG).

Yes, he got off to a good start at a time that we desperately needed him to. That appears to have been an anomaly. I don't think a 5.00 ERA is good enough for the fourth starter on a contending team. I think he's earned the chance to continue in the rotation...as the #5 behind Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, and Garcia/Sheets/Sabathia.

hold2dibber
06-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Schoeneweis has been a very mediocre pitcher for the past month -- averaging six innings a start, which is fine for a fourth starter, but allowing too many baserunners. He is definitely not another Loaiza.

6/16 6.1 10 4 4 2 2
6/11 6 8 5 5 2 6
6/5 5 7 4 4 5 4
5/30 7 5 2 2 1 4
5/25 6 9 5 5 2 5
5/19 6 5 3 3 5 6

I think his ERA for the rest of the season will be around five. His career ERA is 4.98 (not sure if that includes tonight's game) and he was 5.08 in his last full season as a starter.

As always, the problems is getting righthanders out. This season they have 233 at-bats against him, with a .358 OBP and .433 SLG. I'm pretty sure those numbers don't include tonight, and I'm pretty sure that if he keeps starting, his numbers against righties will approach his three-year averages (.366 OBP, .457 SLG).

Yes, he got off to a good start at a time that we desperately needed him to. That appears to have been an anomaly. I don't think a 5.00 ERA is good enough for the fourth starter on a contending team. I think he's earned the chance to continue in the rotation...as the #5 behind Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, and Garcia/Sheets/Sabathia.
You're exactly right. Schoeneweis is fine at the back end of the rotation, but right now, he's not far back enough. The Sox need a top of the rotation starter and another bullpen arm. I don't see them as real contenders without adding those pieces (although they could still win the Central without those additions).

gosox41
06-17-2004, 09:42 AM

6/16 6.1 10 4 4 2 2
6/11 6 8 5 5 2 6
6/5 5 7 4 4 5 4
5/30 7 5 2 2 1 4
5/25 6 9 5 5 2 5
5/19 6 5 3 3 5 6

I think Schoenweis started off the year strong, but you are seeingh the real Scott now. It's unfortunate, but most starters don't have breakout upside seasons after the age of 30. Loaiza was the exception to the rule, but it was silly to think Scott would be the next great find because he also developed a new pitch.

Bob

bobj4400
06-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Schoe's Foes needs to be restarted, unless KW finds someone to push him back to the fifth starter position, then we can deal with these outings...

fledgedrallycap
06-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Let's ease up on the guy, he is a fouth/fifth starter who will keep you in the game, our offense just got shut down last night by an outstanding pitcher.

This emphasizes one point, we need another high-quality pitcher to sticker between Loiaza/Beurle and Garland/Schoenwies.

thepaulbowski
06-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Maybe if the offense would score some runs for him when he pitches, it would take some of the pressure off him to be "perfect." If a pitcher goes 6-7 innings giving up 3-4 runs, the Sox should be able to win.

34 Inch Stick
06-17-2004, 10:04 AM
He has far exceeded my expectations at this point. I still will never feel comfortable with him starting.

It's just another reason for KW to get another starting pitcher. I think we will have someone here before the 4th of July. I think that person will be Garcia.

ma_deuce
06-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Maybe if the offense would score some runs for him when he pitches, it would take some of the pressure off him to be "perfect." If a pitcher goes 6-7 innings giving up 3-4 runs, the Sox should be able to win.
Amen. I was more than ready to hate Shoene this year, but he has come through well enough. However, we need to score runs to give him a chance to win. A 4-0 loss is indicative of poor offense, not defense.

Deuce

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2004, 11:40 AM
While the offense deserves blame (and Pavano credit), Shoe's recent outings underscore the Good Guys' desperate need for another quality starting pitcher, ideally an ace or #2, to push everyone back in the rotation. Just getting a "#5 starter" is not good enough if the Sox win the division. In addition, if the Sox do make the playoffs, I do not trust Shoe or Garland to start a game. Even considering Garland's improved consistency this year, Buehrle and Loaiza are the only starters I would feel comfortable starting in the playoffs.

3Peater
06-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Now why in the world would Sabathia wind up in Chicago? Does anyone really believe the Tribe would trade him in division?

Garcia is at least a 50-50 possibility (if only to keep him from the Twins), and Sheets is probably 30-70, as Milwaukee needs lots of help, but needs one decent pitcher to hang their future on.

3Pete
06-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Now why in the world would Sabathia wind up in Chicago? Does anyone really believe the Tribe would trade him in division?

Garcia is at least a 50-50 possibility (if only to keep him from the Twins), and Sheets is probably 30-70, as Milwaukee needs lots of help, but needs one decent pitcher to hang their future on.

NO WAY the Twins trade for Garcia. They're too cheap up there in the frozen tundra. Plus, it's not like the Twins have anybody in the farm system worth trading for. They mismanage their "top prospects" so much they eventually have no value. Morneau, Cuddyer, Restovich, etc.

Foulke You
06-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Another thing you guys are forgetting is that in his last few starts Schoeneweis has gotten little to no run support. This puts a huge strain on a pitcher but he still has managed to keep us in the games despite the missing lumber in his starts. 4-0 was still within striking distance last night.

I've defended Schoeneweis even before the season started but I firmly believe that he is a #5 guy who can get us 10-12 wins this year. The problem is that he is a #5 guy pitching out of the #4 spot out of necessity which puts a magnifying glass on his mediocre outings. If KW makes a deal, we can put Scott in the #5 spot where he belongs.

Lip Man 1
06-17-2004, 01:03 PM
From the newspapers today:

"The Sox has provided him with two or fewer runs of support in six of his last eight starts."

Pretty hard to win that way unless you're named Koufax, Seaver, Gibson or Palmer.

Lip

delben91
06-17-2004, 01:05 PM
From the newspapers today:

"The Sox has provided him with two or fewer runs of support in six of his last eight starts."

Pretty hard to win that way unless you're named Koufax, Seaver, Gibson or Palmer.

Lip

Wow, maybe we should have Scott wear a Buehrle jersy when he pitches. They're both left-handed, maybe the lineup wouldn't realize it was Scott and they'd put out the 9 runs Mark usually gets....

Maybe I should have another... :gulp:

JohnJeter
06-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Milwaukee is only 3.5 games out and has been getting solid pitching, and not just from Sheets. I don't really expect them to hang all year, but it's hard to see them moving him with their current status.