PDA

View Full Version : This Weekend's Garage Sale

Brian26
06-16-2004, 07:30 PM
The description on Whitesox.com is a bit confusing and misleading. They are reserving one hour blocks of time to play catch in the outfield and check out the dugouts. They are charging admission for this.

Is the GARAGE SALE in a separate area? Or will it be set up in the outfield?

soxwon
06-16-2004, 08:25 PM
the sale is in a different area, call the sox to set up a block of time to play catch, it costs $20 per person.

Brian26
06-16-2004, 10:47 PM
the sale is in a different area, call the sox to set up a block of time to play catch, it costs $20 per person.
Will the Garage Sale be in the same place as it was last year? Rightfield corner, beneath the concourse?

Fungo
06-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Will the lots be open for parking & are they charging for parking?

Brian26
06-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Will the lots be open for parking & are they charging for parking?

They didn't charge for parking last year, and the lots were indeed open. I highly doubt that will change this year.

skobabe8
06-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Did anyone buy a jersey from the garage sale last year? Do they have good deals??

HITMEN OF 77
06-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Isn't it all the stuff left over that didn't sell at Soxfest?

Brian26
06-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Did anyone buy a jersey from the garage sale last year? Do they have good deals??

I don't think anything there could be considered a GREAT deal. There are tons of game used jerseys. A Mike Porzio jersey, for example, is going to run you over a hundred dollars. Some of the Robin Ventura, Magglio, and Frank jerseys they still have will run you $500.

jabrch
06-17-2004, 03:33 PM
I don't think anything there could be considered a GREAT deal. There are tons of game used jerseys. A Mike Porzio jersey, for example, is going to run you over a hundred dollars. Some of the Robin Ventura, Magglio, and Frank jerseys they still have will run you $500.
What was there that is worth a peek? Can anyone list some of the stuff they bought in the past?

soxwon
06-17-2004, 04:51 PM
for those who signed up to play catch.
did you receive anything in the mail, that shows you can play catch.
or are they going to have a list when its time to catch?
still waiting for the sox to call back.

Fisk Fan
06-18-2004, 07:25 AM
What was there that is worth a peek? Can anyone list some of the stuff they bought in the past?
I've bought Spring Training uni's for $25.00 a piece. High quality jerseys, but most of the game-worn stuff is way too overpriced. I remember them selling Nardi Contreras game-worn jerseys for $75.00 - $100.00.......way too much.

They also sell a ton of broken bats, hats, batting helmets, bullpen jackets, pullovers and pants. You might be able to find some Billy Koch stuff there, though.......

dllrbll7
06-18-2004, 10:21 AM
for those who signed up to play catch.
did you receive anything in the mail, that shows you can play catch.
or are they going to have a list when its time to catch?
still waiting for the sox to call back.
I called yesterday and left a message at about 10am and got a call at about 5pm. He said all of the times were still open. The tickets will be left at will call so he said to get there allittle early to get the tickets.

HITMEN OF 77
06-18-2004, 11:07 AM
I've bought Spring Training uni's for $25.00 a piece. High quality jerseys, but most of the game-worn stuff is way too overpriced. I remember them selling Nardi Contreras game-worn jerseys for $75.00 - $100.00.......way too much.

They also sell a ton of broken bats, hats, batting helmets, bullpen jackets, pullovers and pants. You might be able to find some Billy Koch stuff there, though.......
It's amazing how many of the game jerseys are bought there and then end up on eBay and sell for a lot more money. That goes for the players anyway, the coach and manager jerseys don't sell well.

doublem23
06-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Anyone else planning on going? Also, for those who have attended before, is their parking in the lots (for free) or am I going to have to street park it?

Brian26
06-18-2004, 04:41 PM
I might go relatively early to try to beat the long lines. Anyone want to meet up?

By the way, I just called the number to check on it. You DON'T have to buy a $20 ticket to go to the garage sale...and it's being held on the "White Sox Patio", whatever that is.

Brian26
06-19-2004, 11:38 AM
Went to the garage sale this morning...

It was pretty crowded, but things looked well organized.

The one item I really wanted was a 2003 Yearbook...but they didn't have any. They were selling, same as last year, old media guides and programs for a quarter a piece, so picked up a bunch of old stuff. I got the 2002 AL Redbook and NL Greenbook, the 2003 and 2002 Hall of Fame Yearbooks, a 1997 Diamond View with Frank on the cover, the 2003 Sox Media Guide, 4 Sox Diamond Views from 2002, 2 Sox Diamond Views from 2001, and 1 Sox Diamond View from 2000.

They had a bunch of cracked bats that were $150-200. None of them looked to be in good enough condition to really get signed and keep. I think the best ones went at Soxfest and earlier in the morning (as I didn't get in until probably 10 am- the line was very long).

Lots of jerseys...but I wasn't really looking for anything that. They had some old seats too.

Nice day though. Lots of dads brought their kids to play catch on the outfield grass.

Oh- Melty was there too, just being a cool guy. Someone asked him if he bought anything and he said, "No...WAY too expensive for me!"

ZachAL
06-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Just got back from garage sale...there are gonna be a LOT of $5 Albert Belle Jerseys walking around the stadium and city after today-everyone was picking those up.

doublem23
06-19-2004, 12:51 PM
I just got back from it... Picked up a Mike Sirotka, home pinstripes jersey and the media guide from last year, both at a very good price. I got there probably around 11ish and it wasn't crowded at all. There were plenty of people there, but I could meander around without really having to wait in line, and I waited in the checkout line for about 2 minutes before being taken care of.

Question, that pallet of bricks, does anyone know where they're from? I have seen Old Comiskey bricks before and they didn't seem to match the color, at least not in my opinion. That was the only question I really had.

Overall, really good time, glad I went... Maybe next year I'll pay to go out and play catch on the field. :cool:

Brian26
06-19-2004, 01:00 PM
I know last year's media guide was a quarter because I picked one up too...How much did you pay for Siro's jersey?

Were Belle jerseys really going for 5 bucks? I can't believe that.

doublem23
06-19-2004, 01:08 PM
I know last year's media guide was a quarter because I picked one up too...How much did you pay for Siro's jersey?

Were Belle jerseys really going for 5 bucks? I can't believe that.
Sirotka's jersey was $100. All stitched, and one of my favorite players ever, I think it was a steal for me (my wardrobe has been missing a Sox jersey for too long). The Belle jersey's going for $5 were replica jerseys in one of those bins with the Bulls training camp shorts and old T-shirts.

whitesoxwilkes
06-19-2004, 01:18 PM
I got there about 8:45 and waited in line for about 40 minutes...worth it though.

Picked up an Alomar bat for $35 (handle is splintered, but suitable for display), pair of pants for $10, couple locker nameplates (including ol Tinkeroo himself) and media guides for the 2003 Rays, Yankees, Angels and Marlins.

Anyone else see the big pile of scoreboard modulators? Most bizarre item ever.

doublem23
06-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Yeah, it didn't look like too many of them were missing.

skobabe8
06-19-2004, 02:19 PM
I also had questions about the bricks (where were they from???) and the scoreboard modulators (what the hell can you use those for???).

pasquasroachclip
06-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Did anybody plunk down the $200 they wanted for the Billy Koch jersey? They should have had to pay the fans to take that crap off their hands. Also, what was with those '83 uniform sets from last year's TBTC game? They had red names and numbers on the back...the originals (and the ones from last year) had blue numbers.

BainesHOF
06-19-2004, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure how many people realize this, but many, I'd say a majority, of jerseys are not game worn. They were simply extras or ones ordered to satisfy charity requests. If you're looking for something that's game-worn, you have to take extra care to look it over and make sure it's been washed repeatedly.

This time around, there wasn't that much quality memorabilia available. There wasn't much in terms of bats, unless you were looking for Frank Thomas. I bought an uncracked Hoosier beauty with plenty of pine tar on it for $150. Some good hats were to be found when the sale first opened. I got a Loaiza and either a Roberto Alomar or Willie Harris cap for $50 each. Also picked up a Roberto Alomar locker name plate for $25.

zach074
06-19-2004, 03:51 PM
I went to both the sale and field day. I picked up a spring training jersey with the # 57 on the back who might that be of? And if you didnt go you should have went to the field day it was alot of fun, throwing in the bull pen, robbing "home runs" calling the bull pen from the dugout and lots more.

doublem23
06-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Not sure about this year, but I know for certain that Mario Valenzuela was #57 in last year's Spring Training. According to the official site's roster, there is no one on the 40-man roster with the number 57, so you'll need to scrounge up a 2004 media guide (if the jersey is from this year) to pin down who might have worn it.

And I know most of the stuff isn't game worn, but you can't find a stitched baseball jersey anywhere for a hundred bucks. And it goes to a good cause. Win-win.

zach074
06-19-2004, 04:08 PM
My dad got a jersey like mine with # 80 who could that be?

whitesoxwilkes
06-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Not sure about this year, but I know for certain that Mario Valenzuela was #57 in last year's Spring Training. According to the official site's roster, there is no one on the 40-man roster with the number 57, so you'll need to scrounge up a 2004 media guide (if the jersey is from this year) to pin down who might have worn it.

And I know most of the stuff isn't game worn, but you can't find a stitched baseball jersey anywhere for a hundred bucks. And it goes to a good cause. Win-win.
Vic Darensbourg sported 57 this year.

Parrothead
06-19-2004, 04:30 PM
I don't know what you are talking about. I have been to the garage sale every year since they started doing it and have bought game worn jerseys for $25 and $50. Sure they are not the top of the line players (Machado, Simas, Myette and Valdez) but the jerseys were there. Also, broken bats were going from 10 to 100.:gulp:

Brian26
06-19-2004, 07:01 PM
I don't know what you are talking about. I have been to the garage sale every year since they started doing it and have bought game worn jerseys for $25 and $50. Sure they are not the top of the line players (Machado, Simas, Myette and Valdez) but the jerseys were there. Also, broken bats were going from 10 to 100.:gulp:
What jerseys are we talking about here?

I've been to the Garage Sale for the past two years and to the pre-Garage Sale at Soxfest the past 4 years. Any of the official jerseys with stiching go for a minimum of $100. There was a Joe Nossek #23 jersey there this year for $100. I've seen fringe bullpen guys like Porzio and West for $100.

Now, if we're talking black batting practice jerseys without names on the back of them- yeah, I've seen those go for $25 or $50.

Brian26
06-19-2004, 07:11 PM
I got there about 8:45 and waited in line for about 40 minutes...worth it though.
Not bad. I got there around 9:25 and probably waited about 40 minutes to get in too.

Picked up an Alomar bat for $35 (handle is splintered, but suitable for display)......media guides for the 2003 Rays, Yankees, Angels and Marlins.

Robbie or Sandy bat? I wish I would have been there a little earlier. I think the good stuff was gone by the time I got in there.

Man, I really was tempted to pick up that '03 Marlins guide. I was actually tempted to pick up a bunch of them, but I'm running out of shelf space here.

I'm not picturing what those are at all.

doublem23
06-19-2004, 07:14 PM
They had a few pallets of them, near the entrance over by the seat parts and bricks. They were basically boxes that kind of resemebled speakers.

whitesoxwilkes
06-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Not bad. I got there around 9:25 and probably waited about 40 minutes to get in too.

Robbie or Sandy bat? I wish I would have been there a little earlier. I think the good stuff was gone by the time I got in there.

Man, I really was tempted to pick up that '03 Marlins guide. I was actually tempted to pick up a bunch of them, but I'm running out of shelf space here.

Sandy. Always been a big fan of his.

The scoreboard modulators are panels that are about 2 feet by 2 feet with a bunch of little lights in 'em. I'd like to point out the only reason I knew what they were is because there was a "scoreboard modulators--$20" sign over them.

socksgirl79
06-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Anything interesting from the All Star game on sale? I was very curious after reading the life-size bobble heads were going to be sold. Anyone see them there, and how much?

doublem23
06-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Anything interesting from the All Star game on sale? I was very curious after reading the life-size bobble heads were going to be sold. Anyone see them there, and how much?
They had a lot of leftover All-Star Game crap like polo shirts with the logo on them, mini-pennants, the DiamondView All-Star Game edition, etc., but no life-sized bobbleheads. I thought those had all been auctioned off for charity.

socksgirl79
06-20-2004, 12:10 AM
They had a lot of leftover All-Star Game crap like polo shirts with the logo on them, mini-pennants, the DiamondView All-Star Game edition, etc., but no life-sized bobbleheads. I thought those had all been auctioned off for charity.

I thought so too, but here is the quote from the whitesox.com article with Christine O'Reilly

"This particular garage sale also affords fans the opportunity to have their pictures taken at home plate or while playing catch. Items for sale include jerseys, jackets, pieces of an old tarp once used at U.S. Cellular Field and life-size bobbleheads left over from last year's All-Star Game."

Also, what about pieces from the old tarp???

doublem23
06-20-2004, 12:12 AM
Didn't notice any old pieces of trap, either. They did have a lot of old parking signs there for twenty bucks. Seemed cool, but I really don't have any room for a gigantic, diamond "LOT A PARKING" sign anywhere. That and there were no Sox logos or Comiskey Park or anything on it. Theoretically could have been from anywhere.

Parrothead
06-20-2004, 01:41 AM
What jerseys are we talking about here?

I've been to the Garage Sale for the past two years and to the pre-Garage Sale at Soxfest the past 4 years. Any of the official jerseys with stiching go for a minimum of $100. There was a Joe Nossek #23 jersey there this year for $100. I've seen fringe bullpen guys like Porzio and West for $100.

Now, if we're talking black batting practice jerseys without names on the back of them- yeah, I've seen those go for $25 or $50.
I am talking the sunday black, the sleeveless home white and the road grey. Also did get a carlos lee batting pratice jersey for $25.

doublem23
06-20-2004, 01:43 AM
I am talking the sunday black, the sleeveless home white and the road grey. Also did get a carlos lee batting pratice jersey for $25.
I got to get Brian's back here and say that I didn't see any jerseys there with stitching that weren't being sold for under $100 with the exception of the Spring Training tops with no names on the back, though, by the time I got there, they only had ridiculously high numbers like 86 and 79 left, I think.

Maybe they were all gone by the time I got there (roughly 11 o'clock).

****, they were selling Jon Rauch pinstripes for $150!

Parrothead
06-20-2004, 07:45 AM
I got to get Brian's back here and say that I didn't see any jerseys there with stitching that weren't being sold for under $100 with the exception of the Spring Training tops with no names on the back, though, by the time I got there, they only had ridiculously high numbers like 86 and 79 left, I think.

Maybe they were all gone by the time I got there (roughly 11 o'clock).

****, they were selling Jon Rauch pinstripes for $150!
Maybe they were all gone by then. Can't explain it.

calderon
06-20-2004, 10:09 AM
A buddy of mine got a grey jersey #41 Masaoka for $50, we were there right when it opened and there were quite a few stitched jerseys for $50 including Nossek #23, I would have picked it up but it didn't fit. There was a Nossek jersey for $100, but it was from the 2000 playoffs, the regular season ones were $50.

steff
06-21-2004, 06:38 AM
We went and, as usual, I bought a bunch of crap. :D:

eurotrash35
06-21-2004, 09:20 AM
I was there with Mots09 and it was just trainwreck central. I couldn't believe all the jagbag dealers that were loading up on everything they thought they could turn a profit on. I got a BP jersey #50, I almost got #8 but some gomer grabbed it right before I could get my mitts on it. All in all it was a pretty good time. :smile:

dademz1
06-21-2004, 09:43 AM
A buddy of mine got a grey jersey #41 Masaoka for $50, we were there right when it opened and there were quite a few stitched jerseys for $50 including Nossek #23, I would have picked it up but it didn't fit. There was a Nossek jersey for $100, but it was from the 2000 playoffs, the regular season ones were $50.

Very Cool, I wont' be the only one in the park on Friday with a Masaoka Jersey then, I got the Black one a few years ago for $50.....

I only bought it becasue I am not exactly slim and he was the only cheap jersey where the guy wasn't 175 lbs :)

sendimjoey
06-21-2004, 10:38 AM
I got inside just after 10 a.m. I got a home Nossek #23 from at least two years ago for $50. I know it's at least two years old, because the patch said "Comiskey Park." The name patch on the left front says, "Nossek 99 1," so I will delude myself into thinking that he wore it on Opening Day in 1999. (If anyone tries to tell me otherwise, I will stick my fingers in my ears and talk loudly so as not to hear :D: .) I also got my dad a home Graffanino #17 for Father's Day. Graff was his favorite player. We're wearing our jerseys to the game tonight.

Brian26
06-21-2004, 11:00 AM
We went and, as usual, I bought a bunch of crap. :D:

C'mon! What did you get???

steff
06-21-2004, 12:11 PM
C'mon! What did you get???

Crap that I have absolutely no use for. :D:

Mostly media guides to replace the ones that got lost in the move and anything that said CP on it. I was LMAO at the $300 Durham jersey that I watched someone buy. I'm thinking to myself... I could bring all that signed crap I have, stand outside, sell it for half, and make a killing!!! :bandance:

I did buy Jim some more golf shirts since they were pretty cheap. And I bought my neice a bunch of crap, too.

I wish I had somewhere for a parking lot sign. What a conversation starter..

Mots09
06-21-2004, 12:31 PM
As Eurotrash35 said I attened the garage sale with him. We left Oswego and got into line at 730am. We were about 10th in line and I ended up with some cool stuff.

I walked a out with a game worn road James Baldwin jersey from 2000, game worn Jerry Manuel hat with flag on the side, All-Star polo, and a beach towel all for 132.00:bandance:

I couldn't believe that Baldwin's jersey was going for only 100.00. He was always one of my favorites, and if I am not mistaken isn't he on the Sox all-century team?

Also had an opportunity to talk to the Belton one Bill Melton.

DID ANYONE BUY A LUGGAE BAG THAT WAS FOR SALE? IF SOMEONE ON HERE DID I REALIZED I COULD REALLY USE THAT AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO PURCHASE IT FROM THEM AT DOUBLE WHAT THEY PAID!

Blob
06-22-2004, 03:35 PM
I went to both the sale and field day. I picked up a spring training jersey with the # 57 on the back who might that be of? And if you didnt go you should have went to the field day it was alot of fun, throwing in the bull pen, robbing "home runs" calling the bull pen from the dugout and lots more.

Could have been Vic Darensbourg that is the number he wore last night when he came out...

zach074
06-22-2004, 05:09 PM
yea thats who i think it is because im 15 and 5'7 and its not big on me so it must have been a small guy and he is only what 5'8

ewokpelts
06-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Crap that I have absolutely no use for. :D:

Mostly media guides to replace the ones that got lost in the move and anything that said CP on it. I was LMAO at the $300 Durham jersey that I watched someone buy. I'm thinking to myself... I could bring all that signed crap I have, stand outside, sell it for half, and make a killing!!! :bandance:

I did buy Jim some more golf shirts since they were pretty cheap. And I bought my neice a bunch of crap, too.

I wish I had somewhere for a parking lot sign. What a conversation starter..
You can always get a booth at soxfest......
Gene

ewokpelts
06-23-2004, 01:31 AM
As Eurotrash35 said I attened the garage sale with him. We left Oswego and got into line at 730am. We were about 10th in line and I ended up with some cool stuff.

I walked a out with a game worn road James Baldwin jersey from 2000, game worn Jerry Manuel hat with flag on the side, All-Star polo, and a beach towel all for 132.00:bandance:

I couldn't believe that Baldwin's jersey was going for only 100.00. He was always one of my favorites, and if I am not mistaken isn't he on the Sox all-century team?

Also had an opportunity to talk to the Belton one Bill Melton.

DID ANYONE BUY A LUGGAE BAG THAT WAS FOR SALE? IF SOMEONE ON HERE DID I REALIZED I COULD REALLY USE THAT AND WOULD BE HAPPY TO PURCHASE IT FROM THEM AT DOUBLE WHAT THEY PAID!
if it's an all star bag, i want it.
Gene

ewokpelts
06-23-2004, 01:33 AM
Waht I never understood was why didnt the sox actually TRY AND sell everything that they put out saturday? There were a bunch of boxes that i wanted to go through, and they wouldnt let me. I did have money in my pocket, so i dont see teh problem.

Gene