PDA

View Full Version : Frank not in tonight's lineup

ndgt10
06-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Konerko gets the nod instead.

michned
06-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Oh, man, how Ozzie could keep him out of the lineup is beyond me. Unless Frank is banged up for some reason.

Mickster
06-16-2004, 05:43 PM
Ozzie is a moron!

:ozzie
"Who ju callin' a moron, man?"

MRKARNO
06-16-2004, 05:47 PM
While I'm somewhat opposed to this move, Konerko does need regular playing time moreso than Frank due to the fact that he regularly plays the field.

JRIG
06-16-2004, 05:50 PM
While I'm somewhat opposed to this move, Konerko does need regular playing time moreso than Frank due to the fact that he regularly plays the field.
No matter what happens tonight, keeping the best hitter in the American League out of the lineup is a bad move. It's an even worse move when the bottom of the lineup is:

Perez
Crede
Alomar, Jr.
Schoeneweiss

E Coast Sox Fan
06-16-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm sure Frank will get at least one chance tonight, just like Konerko did last night.

JRIG
06-16-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm sure Frank will get at least one chance tonight, just like Konerko did last night.
Do you think th Marlins were beathing a sigh of relief yesterday when they found out Paul Konerko would only get one chance to hurt them? Or is it more likely that they're breathing a sigh today with Frank "1.101 OPS" Thomas only getting one chance to hurt them?

MRKARNO
06-16-2004, 05:55 PM
No matter what happens tonight, keeping the best hitter in the American League out of the lineup is a bad move. It's an even worse move when the bottom of the lineup is:

Perez
Crede
Alomar, Jr.
Schoeneweiss
Perez and Alomar are decent in the bottom of the lineup. Obviously not as good as we're used to, but not bad. Crede is starting to heat up and I think he's going to start being the 2nd half guy we saw last year. I doubt Schoeneweis can even make a productive out.

CHISOXFAN13
06-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Do you think th Marlins were beathing a sigh of relief yesterday when they found out Paul Konerko would only get one chance to hurt them? Or is it more likely that they're breathing a sigh today with Frank "1.101 OPS" Thomas only getting one chance to hurt them?
While I'd prefer Frank in the lineup, it'as not like Konerko is in a slump. He's swinging a hot stick as well.

Mickster
06-16-2004, 06:01 PM
While I'd prefer Frank in the lineup, it'as not like Konerko is in a slump. He's swinging a hot stick as well.
Not 4 dingers in last 3 games hot.... :(:

compy75
06-16-2004, 06:04 PM
I have to agree I am a bit miffed that Ozzie seems to see Frank and Konerko on teh same plane. This is awful. Frank is on fire. He is right now the best hitter in the American League. He has been absolutely carrying this. I hate this with a passion, Frank off vs Beckett I would have felt better about it...

jabrch
06-16-2004, 06:04 PM
:ozzie
"**** - I make the lineups"

jeremyb1
06-16-2004, 06:09 PM
The problem is, you can't just sit Paully for over a week. He's our second best hitter and he needs at bats. He's won't help us win the game as much as Frank but he's played well enough that the dropoff isn't gigantic.

Mickster
06-16-2004, 06:12 PM
The problem is, you can't just sit Paully for over a week. He's our second best hitter and he needs at bats. He's won't help us win the game as much as Frank but he's played well enough that the dropoff isn't gigantic.
PK our 2nd best hitter??? :?:

sas1974
06-16-2004, 06:13 PM
I have to agree I am a bit miffed that Ozzie seems to see Frank and Konerko on teh same plane. This is awful. Frank is on fire. He is right now the best hitter in the American League. He has been absolutely carrying this. I hate this with a passion, Frank off vs Beckett I would have felt better about it...This is exactly how I feel about the situation. I think PK vs. Beckett's fastball would be a better matchup. I would have preferred that Frank sits tomorrow.

For those of you watching the game, there is another reason PK is in the line up tonight. 3-6-1 DP.

munchman33
06-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Have you seen his numbers? He's statistically the best first basemen in the American league.

Anyway, I have no problem with Frank pinch hitting in Interleague games. He has a knack for making his at bats count big time.

nitetrain8601
06-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Ozzie makes the decisions and because of him we're winning. I have no problem with his lineup changes if we're winning and everyone is happy which is the case.

jeremyb1
06-16-2004, 06:26 PM

Not accouting for positional scarcity, yeah.

Uribe: .317 (1st on the team)/.370 (5th)/.533 (3rd)
Carlos: .307 (2nd)/.375 (4th)/.446 (5th)
Jose: .257 (6th)/.314 (6th)/.526 (4th)
Konerko: .287 (5th)/.387 (2nd)/.537 (2nd)

I'm not counting Maggs since he's out of the lineup but even if I did Paully has outperformed him so far this season.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Have you seen his numbers? He's statistically the best first basemen in the American league.
Okay, have we entered the Twilight Zone? :?:

Please show me these statistics of yours placing Walnuts at the top of A.L. firstbasemen.

Ozzie makes the decisions and because of him we're winning. I have no problem with his lineup changes if we're winning and everyone is happy which is the case.
This makes a lot more sense. If we win tonight nobody will much mind Ozzie's choice to sit Frank, even if Konerko goes 0 for 4. OTOH, if we lose Ozzie has opened himself to plenty of second-guessing.

Let's wait and see.

Dadawg_77
06-16-2004, 06:36 PM
Okay, have we entered the Twilight Zone? :?:

Please show me these statistics of yours placing Walnuts at the top of A.L. firstbasemen.

This makes a lot more sense. If we win tonight nobody will much mind Ozzie's choice to sit Frank, even if Konerko goes 0 for 4. OTOH, if we lose Ozzie has opened himself to plenty of second-guessing.

Let's wait and see.
Paul is fourth but no where near Thomas.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/vorp_player_by_pos2004.html?PHPSESSID=f51ac1520276 9f9e5d6dfa34d5f3e08d

ND_Sox_Fan
06-16-2004, 11:35 PM
CONGRATS OZZIE - this bonehead move cost Carlos his hitting streak and the Sox the game. As I said when we were debating who should get the PT at first this week, without Frank in the lineup - everything is off.

HORRIBLE move and it better not be replicated over the next 4 games!! :angry:

jeremyb1
06-17-2004, 01:18 AM
Paul is fourth but no where near Thomas.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/vorp_player_by_pos2004.html?PHPSESSID=f51ac1520276 9f9e5d6dfa34d5f3e08d

He happens to be first among AL 1B in EQA and it's very close in VORP so it's debatable. Regardless of exactly where he ranks he's been extremely good.

Wanne
06-17-2004, 11:38 AM
I don't care were PK sits statistically with American League firstbaseman...you don't sit the best hitter on your team and one of the most feared bats in the game! He only got his team back in the game the night before with a 3-run dinger. This is not an EOE situation here. Hopefully he won't make that mistake again. Not only that...I really don't like his other justification I read:

Defense also was part of Guillen's decision. With left-hander Scott Schoeneweis starting, Guillen was concerned that the speedy Marlins would take advantage of Thomas' weak throwing arm and run on Schoeneweis' first movement.

"I don't like to see Frank throw the ball over there," Guillen said.

Do the Royals sit Beltran...the Giants sit Bonds...etc...