PDA

View Full Version : Commemorating 1906: What should the Sox do?

Baby Fisk
06-16-2004, 02:43 PM
In 1906, a quartet of mop-topped young lads from Liverpool took America by storm and changed rock & roll forever...

Wait, I'll start again.

In 1906, Charles Comiskey's Chicago White Sox -- the heaviest underdogs in the history of the World Series -- defeated the Chicago Cubs by 4 games to 2 and became World Champions for the first time. This shocker remains the greatest upset in WS history, a shining moment in Sox history, and the bane of all Cubdom. YES!

The story of the 1906 White Sox is coming upon its centenary. The modern-day Sox have a contending team, a new marketing stud, a rekindled pubilc dogfight with the northside losers, and a reignited base of hardcore Sox fanatics. It's time to start forging plans for a memorable 1906-2006 centennial celebration! How do you think this historic occasion should be commemorated?

The story of the 1906 World Series is lovingly retold here::)
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/1906.htm

samram
06-16-2004, 02:48 PM
How about winning all the World Series until then?:smile: And then some more.

Hokiesox
06-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm wondering what the relevance really is. You don't see the Yankees celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of their crown 50 years ago (which would seem to go on for the next 20 years) Do we really need to worry about this?

Then again, I voted for "all of the above":bandance: :gulp: :bandance:

Dadawg_77
06-16-2004, 03:44 PM
I'm wondering what the relevance really is. You don't see the Yankees celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of their crown 50 years ago (which would seem to go on for the next 20 years) Do we really need to worry about this?

They have 26 of them, we have how many?

doublem23
06-16-2004, 04:54 PM

Because most Yankee fans can remember the last time their team won the World Series. I remember a while ago, the Sox issued som baseballs to commemorate the 1917 World Series...

I think they should bust out some 1906 jerseys, maybe do a little something on the outfield walls, centralize the theme on mini-schedules, media guides, scorecards, etc., maybe have a sleeve patch, and do a display at the White Sox Museuem in U.S. Cellular Field as well as work with the Chicago Historical Society to see if they can set up an exhibit...

Just some ideas. I think the best way to comemorate the series is just to win it all again, though. :cool:

Railsplitter
06-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Any defeat of the Schlubs is worth celebrating:wink:

Baby Fisk
06-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments, including Hokie the gloomster. I'd like to write to Brooks Boyer and share these ideas with him. Can anyone provide the contact info / e-mail?

Railsplitter
06-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Inviting the descendants of the 1906 team wouldn't be a bad idea either. If not for opening day, then sometime during the season.

SoxFan78
06-17-2004, 09:54 AM
How about lowering ticket prices to 1906 prices??

Hokiesox
06-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments, including Hokie the gloomster.
Geez. I didn't mean to be gloomy. I was merely wondering if we really should make a big deal? I like all the ideas, and I voted for all of the above.

Have more of these: :gulp: :gulp:

Then you'll be doing: :bandance: :bandance:

JohnBasedowYoda
06-17-2004, 11:19 AM
i think it would be hard to get footage from that game

Baby Fisk
06-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Geez. I didn't mean to be gloomy. I was merely wondering if we really should make a big deal? I like all the ideas, and I voted for all of the above.
Sorry Hokie, should have put that in teal. 1906 is definitely worth making a big deal out of because it is so rare. The Yankees could trot out anniversary crap every year if they wanted to, but we can't, that's why 1906 is so special for the Sox. It's like celebrating a birthday or something similar.

Some of these,
:gulp:
and I usually look more like this:
:yup: **

**at last! I found a use for mojo-pacman!