PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rome to talk about Sox Us vs. Them campaign

Bruck35
06-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I just heard Jim Rome on his daily radio show say he wants to comment on the Sox ads involving the Us vs. Them commercials. I'm not sure if I'll be able to hear what he has to say about it, or if it's even worth considering what this guy has to say, but since he has a national audience it could bring the issue to more of a mainstream crowd.

I'll give an update if I hear anything

iwcup
06-16-2004, 12:45 PM
I liked what Imrem had to say....

bascially, screw the PC, and lets get back to a good ole rivalry...

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_imrem.asp?intid=38154176

I hate when the flub fans always say we love a cub loss more than a sox win....

I love the sox wins, and I thoroughly enjoy seeing the broken hearts of the cubbie nation(ugh) when they lose....

its all about the PRIDE....

HomerCoach
06-16-2004, 12:56 PM
I'd LOVE to see KW go "Jim Everett" on the guy!:roflmao::kneeslap::wired::thumbsup:

sas1974
06-16-2004, 12:58 PM
I'd settle for KW going Carl Everett on him.

Flight #24
06-16-2004, 01:05 PM
I'd settle for KW going Carl Everett on him.
You mean calling Rome a dinosaur and then claiming he doesn't exist?

JoseCanseco6969
06-16-2004, 01:10 PM
You mean calling Rome a dinosaur and then claiming he doesn't exist?
ah, Crazy Carl, what a character!

jackbrohamer
06-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Jeebus, is every half-witted ass-clown in media going to scold the Sox for their ad campaign? When did any of these guys ever talk about any team's commercials before?

Cellview22
06-16-2004, 01:14 PM
I'm listening to it right now...has he mentioned anything yet?

I have a feeling he'll get brutal talking about the Sox. He tends to rip on the Sox every time he mentions them. Typical ignorant point of view.

CHISOXFAN13
06-16-2004, 01:16 PM
He will probably rip it to shreds. Rome has heaped abuse on the White Sox
as of late. You would think he'd like it, what with all the "smack" that gets
tossed around on his show.

Why is it that other great rivalries in sports are so great and terrific, (Mets
Yankees; Yankees-Red Sox, etc.) but the White Sox are getting torn to
pieces over this one?

Brooks Boyer will not be able to do anything right in this new job of his.

You are wrong. Most Sox fans love this campaign and have embraced. Hell, those T-shirts are going to fly off the shelves next week.

So the national media thinks it's dumb. Who cares. Boyer's job isn't to market the sox to them anyway.

Bruck35
06-16-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm listening to it right now...has he mentioned anything yet?

I have a feeling he'll get brutal talking about the Sox. He tends to rip on the Sox every time he mentions them. Typical ignorant point of view.

He hasn't mentioned anything more about the ads since the first 15 minutes of his show. Originally he made it sound negative that they were doing this campaign, then said something along the lines of they should be focusing on CLee's 28 game hit streak instead and advertise that to the public....which to me made ZERO sense.

So yeah, I'm sure he's going to rip the ads to shreds, it's just a matter of time...

Kogs35
06-16-2004, 01:21 PM
who cares what rome has to say? the guy who brought him to espn1000 is gone because of his fights with reinsdorf, and his ratings are the worst on the station and he will prob be gone when the new ratings come out.

Hondo
06-16-2004, 01:30 PM
http://www.foxsports980.com/timages/page/jim_rome.jpg"Chi Sox ripping the Cubs..........Classic.....C'mon...........You guys can ball......why do you have to rip on the other team in your town??.......I am sure.....How about you win and then you can talk to me about laying the smackdown.....Brooks Boyer.......if you're going to have a take......come strong....Tour Stop.....Jungle....SoCal......I talk like a robot saying the same five things.......over and over........with pauses......that are annoyingly way too long......Rack me i'm out."

Bring back TONY KORNHEISER!!!!!!!

Mickster
06-16-2004, 01:35 PM
http://www.foxsports980.com/timages/page/jim_rome.jpg"Chi Sox ripping the Cubs..........Classic.....C'mon...........You guys can ball......why do you have to rip on the other team in your town??.......I am sure.....How about you win and then you can talk to me about laying the smackdown.....Brooks Boyer.......if you're going to have a take......come strong....Tour Stop.....Jungle....SoCal......I talk like a robot saying the same five things.......over and over........with pauses......that are annoyingly way too long......Rack me i'm out."

Phe.....nomenal! :D:

daveeym
06-16-2004, 01:35 PM
All news is good news, it's just flubiots scared of what the sox may have brewing. Great Job Brooks, "the kids can play" gave the sox a ton of press.

Keep the pressure up White Sox.

daveeym
06-16-2004, 01:41 PM
I liked what Imrem had to say....

bascially, screw the PC, and lets get back to a good ole rivalry...

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_imrem.asp?intid=38154176

I hate when the flub fans always say we love a cub loss more than a sox win....

I love the sox wins, and I thoroughly enjoy seeing the broken hearts of the cubbie nation(ugh) when they lose....

its all about the PRIDE....
Wow great article by IMREM i love his arguments at the end. I'd like to see any cub fan actually make those arguments.

"If the Cubs played in the American League, they wouldn't be .500" ... TRUE
"If the Sox played in Wrigley Field, they still wouldn't outdraw us" ... FALSE The Schaumburg Flyers would sell out Wrigley.
"Sosa would be useless without corked bats" ... AND STEROIDS
"The designated hitter rule makes Frank Thomas more Big Skirt than Big Hurt"...FALSE HE PLAYS BETTER AS A FIRST BASEMAN

samram
06-16-2004, 01:47 PM

By the way, Frank Calliendo on MadTV does a great Jim Rome impersonation.

Cellview22
06-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Does Jay Mohr have any meds for characters who are disturbingly robotic?

"Jay Mohr...bringin it...classic...whole hour...works for me...don't have a script...what time is it?...is the hour almost over....keep talking Jay...bring it.."

TommyJohn
06-16-2004, 01:55 PM
who cares what rome has to say? the guy who brought him to espn1000 is gone because of his fights with reinsdorf, and his ratings are the worst on the station and he will prob be gone when the new ratings come out.
I honestly don't think Rome will be gone. He is paying for his air time here and
in New York. As long as he's giving bucks to them, they'll keep him on.

bennyw41
06-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Jeebus, is every half-witted ass-clown in media going to scold the Sox for their ad campaign? When did any of these guys ever talk about any team's commercials before?
There is no such thing as bad publicity. Its good that they are talking about us in this light. It could be worse

Flight #24
06-16-2004, 02:09 PM
I honestly don't think Rome will be gone. He is paying for his air time here and
Actually, the majority of revenues come from ad sales, which are directly linked to "listenership" (is that a word?).

What I've heard is that Rome's not faring well and will likely be gone soon with (ugh) and expansion of Moronotti and/or Patrick.

the_valenstache
06-16-2004, 02:13 PM
All news is good news, it's just flubiots scared of what the sox may have brewing. Great Job Brooks, "the kids can play" gave the sox a ton of press.

Exactly. A lot of people on this board are so concerned that 'wads like Rome and Mariotti are going to present Sox fans as jealous Cub hatemongers and not the real baseball fans we actually are. To this I say, so what?

We wouldn't be the only stereotyped group of sports fans. In fact, those very teams that have fans we can easily stereotype (Raiders, 76ers, Red Wings, etc.) are never devoid of media coverage regardless of how their team does.

The death of this organization will be our acceptance to remain faceless. The Cubs as a team and a legion of nationwide fans have a ton of personality. I'm not saying the answer is for us to leach off of their popularity and pickup the backlash, but it gets people talking.

People on this board were complaing for months about how the Sox are the forgotten-about team who get no respect. Now that we're garnering some attention, I think the whole "respect" part will come soon.

BTW, I missed the memo on the new "pipedream pink." I personally support a shift to "lemon chiffon," but maybe that's just me.

BeerHandle
06-16-2004, 02:13 PM

I loved it. The best part, "you guys can ball". LOL:supernana:

Kogs35
06-16-2004, 02:14 PM
espn1050 in ny has him on from 7-10pm at night. the only reason that he was brought on the airwaves at espn1000 is because bob synder and len weiner needed the money to take the station out of the red. all bob synder and len weiner cared about was to chase the sox off their airwaves. the abc radio people down in dallas saw what was going on here and made a change and fired synder and kept weiner. and also made a change at wls but thats a diff story. the abc people in dallas want the sox and bulls to stay on espn1000 cause they bring in the highest ratings for their station. that is why bob snyder was fired. with him there they had no chance of retaining the sox.they will not over pay for the bulls and sox like the last time and uncle jerry knows he wont get brake the bank on their new deals in 2 years. the new gm of espn1000 is a sox fan. all espn1000 wants is good ratings. jim rome has terrible ratings. they may be getting paid by rome to air his show but the bosses over at espn1000 know they cant keep his show any longer. ed sherman wrote about it a few weeks ago and he said that he will prob be gone the week of the 21 or that next week.

Dadawg_77
06-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Wow great article by IMREM i love his arguments at the end. I'd like to see any cub fan actually make those arguments.

"If the Sox played in Wrigley Field, they still wouldn't outdraw us" ... FALSE The Schaumburg Flyers would sell out Wrigley.
"Sosa would be useless without corked bats" ... AND STEROIDS
"The designated hitter rule makes Frank Thomas more Big Skirt than Big Hurt"...FALSE HE PLAYS BETTER AS A FIRST BASEMAN
You took the easy ones, still trying to come up with somthing to prove our "5th" starter is better then Maddux. That one is hard but I think doable.

munchman33
06-16-2004, 02:46 PM
You took the easy ones, still trying to come up with somthing to prove our "5th" starter is better then Maddux. That one is hard but I think doable.
When looking at a ratio of cost effectiveness to pitching effectiveness, we definately have them beat.

itsnotrequired
06-16-2004, 02:49 PM
So did Rome ever say anything about it?

Dadawg_77
06-16-2004, 02:50 PM
When looking at a ratio of cost effectiveness to pitching effectiveness, we definately have them beat.
Yeah that what I was thinking, our 5th has an ERA of 10.125, while Greg is 4.10. But Greg will cost 6 million this year and 9 million next year, our guys cost a little over 740K this year. So you are paying 5.2 million for only four less runs a game, which could be used to shore up other spots so you have much greater chance at winning all your games not just the ones started by the fifth starter.

JRIG
06-16-2004, 02:56 PM
espn1050 in ny has him on from 7-10pm at night. the only reason that he was brought on the airwaves at espn1000 is because bob synder and len weiner needed the money to take the station out of the red.
ESPN would have needed the money they got from Rome about 16 times over to get out of the red. That's how much the current Sox and Bulls contract is killing them.

oheeoh...magglio
06-16-2004, 02:57 PM

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

HAHA!! Post of the week material right there, and it's so true.

That guy is such a loser, and he always rips the White Sox. I could give a crap less what he has to say about us.

Kogs35
06-16-2004, 03:14 PM
ESPN would have needed the money they got from Rome about 16 times over to get out of the red. That's how much the current Sox and Bulls contract is killing them.
thats true. but right now there taking a diff approach to things with the new managment thats there right now. but you can also say that they've wasted alot of money too when trying to piss off riesdorf with hiring ryan sandberg as there "cub expert" when hes not even in chicago,and also there cub show. abc radio wants the sox to be treated like the angels are treated on espn710.

Bruck35
06-16-2004, 03:19 PM
So did Rome ever say anything about it?

Other than the first 15 minutes of his show, he didn't mention the ads or Carlos Lee's streak again, though I missed the final 30 minutes or so.

Although he never did bring it up again, I'm glad this spawned into a Jim Rome bashing session.

Bring back Tony K!

daveeym
06-16-2004, 03:38 PM
You only need four in the playoffs.

CanOfCorn
06-16-2004, 03:43 PM
There is no such thing as bad publicity.
Yeah, we're all proud of William Ligue.

I don't get what the big deal is. If it gets Sox fans to the park and buying merchandise, it's a job well done. It looks like it could achieve that goal.

Rack me i'm out.
(That was awesome, Hondo)

maurice
06-16-2004, 04:10 PM
That is SOOO true. The NL sucks this year. The AL is destroying NL teams interleague play (.639 winning percentage).

The Cheat
06-16-2004, 04:37 PM
That is SOOO true. The NL sucks this year. The AL is destroying NL teams interleague play (.639 winning percentage).
After 1 week, when all games were played in the AL parks. Give it time. It will start to even out this week, when everyone in at the NL parks.

Flight #24
06-16-2004, 04:44 PM
After 1 week, when all games were played in the AL parks. Give it time. It will start to even out this week, when everyone in at the NL parks.
Yesterday, NL's up 6-8. I'm too lazy to go add up all the other games to get a total - maurice, you have easy access to the #s from AL parks?

StillMissOzzie
06-16-2004, 05:19 PM

King Xerxes has Farmer, and now Hondo has Rome. LMAO!

SMO
:gulp:

Railsplitter
06-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Can anybody take a guy seriously who can't speak more than three syllabels in row without needing to take a breath?

Nard
06-16-2004, 09:43 PM
I like Romey.

Did he end up saying anything?

Cubbiesuck13
06-16-2004, 10:14 PM

before tonight, Show had a better record than maddux. if we get Garcia or sheets, show would be better than maddux. bam! there ya go

beckett21
06-16-2004, 10:17 PM
I like Romey.
Now there are two of us :D:

Did he end up saying anything?
Didn't hear it, but heard his intro. He mentioned something about C Lee's hit streak, and why don't we promote that...I gather it was anything but complimentary whatever he did end up saying.

Nick@Nite
06-16-2004, 11:26 PM
I just heard Jim Rome on his daily radio show say he wants to comment on the Sox ads involving the Us vs. Them commercials. I'm not sure if I'll be able to hear what he has to say about it, or if it's even worth considering what this guy has to say, but since he has a national audience it could bring the issue to more of a mainstream crowd.

I'll give an update if I hear anything
I listen to Rome most weekdays between 1200-1300hrs. Did he say when he would ponificate?

wdelaney72
06-17-2004, 08:58 AM

I totally agree. People are talking about the Sox. That's a good thing. What's really important is that the team backs up the ads and pounds the hell out of the Cubs.

"THE Chicago White Sox - Loved, Hated, But Never Ignored"

ChiSox14305635
06-17-2004, 10:06 PM
By the way, Frank Calliendo on MadTV does a great Jim Rome impersonation.
http://www.frankcaliendo.com/multimedia/audio/FrankJimRomeKCE_16kbs.rm

http://www.frankcaliendo.com/multimedia/audio/FrankJimRomeKCE_p2_16kbs.rm

danjames
06-18-2004, 01:08 AM
These RM files are awesome. I am in tears!

Jerry_Manuel
06-18-2004, 11:58 AM
http://www.frankcaliendo.com/multimedia/audio/FrankJimRomeKCE_16kbs.rm

http://www.frankcaliendo.com/multimedia/audio/FrankJimRomeKCE_p2_16kbs.rm
Heh, Frank was on the Score Thursday afternoon and doing his Rome impression. It was so damn good, then he started mixing in his Madden.

sas1974
06-18-2004, 12:30 PM
I totally agree. People are talking about the Sox. That's a good thing. What's really important is that the team backs up the ads and pounds the hell out of the Cubs.

"THE Chicago White Sox - Loved, Hated, But Never Ignored"
I personally dig the new campaign, but we certainly better back it up or we are going to look like a bunch of fools.

Mohoney
06-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Phe.....nomenal! :D:

Hill...aaarious.