PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Beltran Sweepstakes

JDP
06-16-2004, 09:30 AM
The Florida Marlins have stepped in on the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes. The Marlins have made the initial contact with the Royals; however, the Marlins have no significantly touted 3B or C in their farm system (what KC is asking in return).

Full Story
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-mardeal14jun14,0,4129116.story?coll=sfla-sports-marlins

Thus begs the question:
3B and C minor leaguers -- which team has the best to offer (and willing to) KC?

SEALgep
06-16-2004, 09:39 AM
The Yanks have a stud catcher in their system, and KC may have to settle for one out of the two with maybe a marginal pitching prospect or two thrown in. Maybe not, we'll see.

IlliniSox
06-16-2004, 11:40 AM
The Royals are screwing themselves by holding out for a catcher and a third baseman. GET pitching and you have the bargaining chips you need to fill those positions in the future. (His name is pronounced 'rowsh')

wdelaney72
06-16-2004, 11:44 AM
The Yanks have a stud catcher in their system, and KC may have to settle for one out of the two with maybe a marginal pitching prospect or two thrown in. Maybe not, we'll see.
What would the Evil Empire do with ANOTHER outfielder??? I really don't see them in the mix for Beltran this year.

SEALgep
06-16-2004, 11:45 AM
What would the Evil Empire do with ANOTHER outfielder??? I really don't see them in the mix for Beltran this year.You don't think they would bench Bernie or Kenny for Beltran?

pearso66
06-16-2004, 11:46 AM
If they are holding out for a 3b and a C, there is no way a trade gets done. Teams realize that Beltran is a good player, but in no way is he worth a top C and 3B prospects. Those are 2 spots that are hard enough to fill. No way they get both.

Add in: The Yankees have already expressed that they won't be trading for Beltran this season. IIRC

Randar68
06-16-2004, 11:47 AM
You don't think they would bench Bernie or Kenny for Beltran?They are in much greater need of pitching. They'd have to give Navarro up for any good starter, so they wouldn't have much of anything left to give in return for Beltran.

Randar68
06-16-2004, 11:50 AM
If they are holding out for a 3b and a C, there is no way a trade gets done.
Micah Schnurstein and Jon Acevas for Beltran? :redneck

SEALgep
06-16-2004, 11:51 AM
They are much greater need of pitching. They'd have to give Navarro up for any good starter, so they wouldn't have much of anything left to give in return for Beltran.That's true, better for us then. Unless of course they get the pitching we're looking for.:mad:

HomerCoach
06-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Micah Schnurstein and Jon Acevas for Beltran? :redneck
Joe Crede and Jon Aveves?

mdep524
06-16-2004, 11:55 AM
If they are holding out for a 3b and a C, there is no way a trade gets done. Teams realize that Beltran is a good player, but in no way is he worth a top C and 3B prospects. Those are 2 spots that are hard enough to fill. No way they get both.

Add in: The Yankees have already expressed that they won't be trading for Beltran this season. IIRC
Agreed. I will predict right now that the Royals will NOT end up getting a top notch 3B AND C prospect for Beltran. They will have to settle for, at most, one or the other, plus a probably a pitching or OF prospect. If his price drops like this, I think the White Sox' chances to get him go up, because the Sox could use him but won't sell the farm to get him- we have other needs as well.

Lip Man 1
06-16-2004, 12:00 PM
For what it's worth:

From the print edition of The Sporting News this week by Ken Rosenthal...

"The Marlins are kicking around the idea of acquiring Royals CF Carlos Beltran for prospects then shipping Beltran to the Yankees for RHP Jose Contreras, assuming the Yankees would pay nearly all of the approximately 20 million that he is owed through 2006. The Marlins would use Contreras as a reliever, going with Chad Fox, Contreras and Armando Benitz in the late innings--a significant upgrade for a bullpen that began the week 12th in National League ERA."

Lip

Flight #24
06-16-2004, 12:03 PM
For what it's worth:

"The Marlins are kicking around the idea of acquiring Royals CF Carlos Beltran for prospects then shipping Beltran to the Yankees for RHP Jose Contreras, assuming the Yankees would pay nearly all of the approximately 20 million that he is owed through 2006. The Marlins would use Contreras as a reliever, going with Chad Fox, Contreras and Armando Benitz in the late innings--a significant upgrade for a bullpen that began the week 12th in National League ERA."

Lip
I have a hard time believing that the prospects the Marlins would think appropriate to give up effecitvely for Jose Contreras are the prospects that KC would want for Beltran.

thepaulbowski
06-16-2004, 12:29 PM
For what it's worth:

Lip

I think that is probably on hold until Kevin Brown gets off the DL. I wouldn't think they'd be able to get rid of Contreras with Brown on the DL.

OEO Magglio
06-16-2004, 12:54 PM
KC is going to have to lower their standards a little bit. There is no way they get a top 3b and a top catching prospect. That still doesn't make sense to me though, I thought for sure they'd be trying to get pitching prospects.

samram
06-16-2004, 01:34 PM
KC is going to have to lower their standards a little bit. There is no way they get a top 3b and a top catching prospect. That still doesn't make sense to me though, I thought for sure they'd be trying to get pitching prospects.
They think that next year with Greinke, Gobble, Hernandez and Ascencio back from injuries, they will be ok. Don't know if they actually will be ok, but that's what Baird thinks.

Also, I think the Mets also have the 3B and catcher they want. I don't know how interested they are, but I'm sure the Mets would like to upstage the Yankees given the chance.

SEALgep
06-16-2004, 01:36 PM
They think that next year with Greinke, Gobble, Hernandez and Ascencio back from injuries, they will be ok. Don't know if they actually will be ok, but that's what Baird thinks.

Also, I think the Mets also have the 3B and catcher they want. I don't know how interested they are, but I'm sure the Mets would like to upstage the Yankees given the chance.Gammons has said, and I'm inclined to agree, that their GM should be fired if they trade their third base prospect for Beltran as a rent a player.

Hokiesox
06-16-2004, 01:37 PM
What would the Evil Empire do with ANOTHER outfielder??? I really don't see them in the mix for Beltran this year.
Their minor league outfielders only make 2 million. They need one who makes 8 digits!

OEO Magglio
06-16-2004, 01:42 PM

Also, I think the Mets also have the 3B and catcher they want. I don't know how interested they are, but I'm sure the Mets would like to upstage the Yankees given the chance.I guess but we all know the more pitching you have the better. The mets 3b prospect is David Wright and the mets won't deal him. I still think kc is going about this the wrong way but that's just my opinion and I hope they do go about it wrong and mess this deal up.

samram
06-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Gammons has said, and I'm inclined to agree, that their GM should be fired if they trade their third base prospect for Beltran as a rent a player.
Right, but they could resign him or do a deal after the trade (if Boras will even listen until November). The question for them is whether they think they can win the division with him. I think it would be tough for them to beat out both the Marlins and Phils, so it's probably not worth Wright. They just seem to fit the criteria KC has set, and they're a big-market team, which is most likely where Beltran will end up.