PDA

View Full Version : Problems in Winston-Salem

NC_sox_fan
06-16-2004, 08:41 AM
The Warthogs have struggled mightily this season. With a record of 28 - 37 we have the 2nd worst record in the league. Even with prospects Sweeney and Anderson and talented veterans Becker and Rogowski, the team has never taken off. Apparently the White Sox are looking for someone to blame. On Monday, Dave Wilder fired manager Ken Dominguez, replacing him with Nick Leyva.

Here's the link:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031776078625&path=%21sports&s=1037645509200

According to rumors around the ballpark, the Sox are making lots of moves in the next week. We are said to be getting two top draft picks from this month's draft. Should be quite interesting........

Randar68
06-16-2004, 10:20 AM
The Warthogs have struggled mightily this season. With a record of 28 - 37 we have the 2nd worst record in the league. Even with prospects Sweeney and Anderson and talented veterans Becker and Rogowski, the team has never taken off. Apparently the White Sox are looking for someone to blame. On Monday, Dave Wilder fired manager Ken Dominguez, replacing him with Nick Leyva.

Here's the link:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031776078625&path=%21sports&s=1037645509200

According to rumors around the ballpark, the Sox are making lots of moves in the next week. We are said to be getting two top draft picks from this month's draft. Should be quite interesting........
Leyva is a highly respected veteran manager within the organization.

As far as the frequency/quantity of moves, that is ALWAYS the case shortly after the draft. Lot's of A-ball players are promoted or reshuffled to make room for some new signings. Fields and Lumsden are likely to be the Winston-Salem arrivals. Don't be surprised to see McCarthy promoted to W-S, Anderson and Rogo to AA, etc.

There will be a lot of movement, and I'd also expect to see some of the guys at Kannapolis drop back down to Great Falls to get mroe consistent playing time and a little more one-on-one instruction.

rdivaldi
06-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Did they actually expect to win with that G-d awful pitching staff?

That's pretty sad that they'd fire the manager half way through the season, it's not his fault he has a pathetic rotation and pathetic bullpen.

maurice
06-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Even with prospects Sweeney and Anderson and talented veterans Becker and Rogowski, the team has never taken off.
That's because none of those guys can pitch. Hopefully, they'll get some new and more successful arms for the second half. One day, McCarthy may become the best pitching prospect in the entire organization.

rdivaldi
06-16-2004, 05:31 PM
One day, McCarthy may become the best pitching prospect in the entire organization.
Well, Brandon does have some upside, but I'm not so sure he has that high of a ceiling. He's supposedly cut from the same mold as Black Jack, but I wonder if he has the "stuff" to be a dominant pitcher. His control is very encouraging, but the amount of dingers he gives up is troubling.

Rex Hudler
06-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Did they actually expect to win with that G-d awful pitching staff?

That's pretty sad that they'd fire the manager half way through the season, it's not his fault he has a pathetic rotation and pathetic bullpen.
I have no idea why Dominguez was fired, but my guess it was for more than just wins and losses. They had been playing .500 ball since they started off 1-11.

Sometimes managers just don't click with the higher ups. Keep in mind Wilder is new and Dominguez was here before, so there very well could have been some philosophical differences. I thought it was strange that Dominguez was promoted to Manager from Hitting Coach before the season anyway.