PDA

View Full Version : Manuel has lost his mind.

Jerry_Manuel
09-21-2001, 11:51 PM
From the Trib: (My thoughts at the end of the story.)

DH 2002: Manuel said that selecting the team's designated hitter for 2002 will be one of the high priority missions in spring training.

"We have a lot of candidates and that's the problem, trying to find those guys positions," Manuel said. "But we do feel in the American League, if you have pitching and hitting, you can be competitive. We have no problem with being last on defense."

The long list of potential DHs includes first basemen Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko and Jeff Liefer, third baseman Herbert Perry and outfielders Carlos Lee and Jose Canseco.

"We have to find out first if Frank will be able to play first base," Manuel said. "First base is basically Konerko's only position. Liefer is really a first baseman. Then there is Herbert and maybe even Carlos Lee. As for Canseco, we'll bring in Jose in the spring and find out if he can play an outfield position.

"It's going to be interesting when we get all those people together and decide what's the best fit for the team. No doubt that will be a major project for spring training."

Big chance: Manuel said he wants to see more of Liefer, pitcher Josh Fogg and third baseman Joe Crede in the final days of this season. Liefer played third base Friday night and hit his 18th home run in 78 games.

"Liefer could be the left-handed bat we've looked for," Manuel said. "He did a decent job at third base until he kind of flinched in Boston. Fogg has shown a good curveball and put himself into the mix. And, of course, we want to see more of Crede."

My Thoughts:
Frank Thomas is the Sox DH not Perry, Canseco, Liefer or Konerko.
Williams has already came out and said Canseco will not be on the team next year did Manuel not hear this? Then he says "we" will bring Canseco in to see if he can play the outfield!!!! What the hell is going on here? He won't be on the team Jerry!!!! So in Manuel's mind the outfield derby next year is Maggs, Lee, Liefer, Rowand, Singleton, Ramirez, Canseco, and Borchard. This makes no sense at all. If he wants to see more of Crede PLAY HIM! Tell Canseco thanks for a great year but Liefer is my DH for the rest of the year. Perhaps I am overreacting but this makes no sense at all to me.

FarWestChicago
09-22-2001, 12:00 AM
Here's a frightening thought. What if the confusion Jerry has displayed this year is only the tip of the iceberg?

GASHWOUND
09-22-2001, 03:43 AM
Did you mention Ramirez as one of the canidates of the outfield positions? Ha, the only way he's going to be on the team next year if he trys out for the batboy job.

Didn't you know this? "Ghandi" and KW don't interact with each other and he wouldn't have heard the statement that Jose would not be on the team next year.

The mind of Manuel is the mystery to us all. All he needs to do is bring in a pitcher from the bullpen that hasn't even warmed up yet and we'll have Terry Bevington the II.

After those Statements were made, KW probably took JM into his office, slapped him around a couple times and asked him "What the Hell are you babbling about?"

Frank is our DH. Jose will be kicked out of hear so fast that doctors are going to have to remove Frank's shoe out of his ass. After Frank is done with Jose he'll come back to Springtraining holding out for more money and everybody will be pissed at him and we'll want to trade him for a bag of balls. Thats when we'll know its the start of the Baseball season!

Leifer is going to play one of the infield positions, most likely 3rd..I hope.

Lee will stay in left, Borchard will try out in ST and if he performs will make the team and Rowand will be is backup unless he blows everybody away.
Herbert is already off the WS and he'll be back milking Cows.He's out

The only postions that are up for grabs is center field..Borchord, Singleton, and Rowand, but most likely Singleton will be pushed out.

The other is 3rd. Leifer or Crede.
The other stuff 'Ghandi" said is just a bunch of hot air. My lineup for next year's Division winning WS is this

Durham-2nd
Valintin-SS
Ordonez-RF
Thomas-DH
Konerko-1st
Leifer-3rd
Lee-LF
Borchord-CF
Johnson-C

Of course some might be interchangable

Rowand might start if Joe.B blows in Springtraining and they might keep Singleton. But if not Rowand will be the back up OF.
Doesn't that Lineup look great! We'll have Joe.B batting 8th! So he can relax and quietly put up big #'s

harwar
09-22-2001, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
What the hell is going on here? This makes no sense at all.

Not only does jerry seem to not to know what to do,but i've heard from a guy that has been in the clubhouse that he doesn't talk to his players much.It seems that what we see sitting on the bench is pretty much what we get,a guy thats probably a good coach but not a good manager.

KempersRS
09-22-2001, 10:22 AM
I was pretty excited about next year, moving on, fine tuning our team...but all of the sudden, that excitement is dulling. I'm a little scared with Jerry and Kenny at the helm. We thought this team had the potential to win for years and years to come, but all of the sudden, this team doesn't look like it is moving forward, but it is standing still.

Jerry_Manuel
09-22-2001, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Did you mention Ramirez as one of the canidates of the outfield positions? Ha, the only way he's going to be on the team next year if he trys out for the batboy job.

He made the team this year didn't he?

oldcomiskey
09-22-2001, 12:14 PM
my thoughts are as follows--you dont just piss on Canseco--I know there is no room for him---but he has been a breath of fresh air---now do you trade perry and lee for a pitcher--and move rowand to left full time----what about singleton---and clayton---you move clayton if at all possible---if you cant trade Milk as much as I hate the idea and move VALENTIN to third---Leifer while a good young hitter has shown nothing defensively.

So if you keep Jose Canseco you take Clayton and ship his sorry ass to Mexico for a can of half baked burittos---hell do that anyway---put Valentin back at ss---and trade milk--now you have Konerko at 3rd--Valentin at ss-Durham at 2b and Frank at 1b---Leifer and Canseco now share the DH duties---And dont give me that crap about PK not being able to play 3rd--Manuel had everybody out of position anyway to play Clayton... you trade Lee for a good pitcher----Wells, Buehrle, Parque, Glover and Lowe aint gonna cut it...

and lets get healthy---

GASHWOUND
09-22-2001, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

He made the team this year didn't he?

True.True. But that was before Rowand and I think he realizes(I hope) that Singleton is much better and Joe.B is coming up the ranks.

Jerry_Manuel
09-22-2001, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
True.True. But that was before Rowand and I think he realizes(I hope) that Singleton is much better and Joe.B is coming up the ranks.

Well Singleton is a better hitter then Ramirez (as I type this Chris triples) but if Ramirez is the better defensive outfielder. So if Rowand or Borchard is the starter in center next year who do you want to be the back up? Singleton or Ramirez?

Tragg
09-22-2001, 11:46 PM
I agree, Jerry, Jerry has lost his mind.

When he listed the DH candidates, where was Harold????????

longshot7
09-23-2001, 03:24 AM
All I can say is I'm glad you guys aren't the manager (and I guess that includes me too.)

don't hold your breath...Borchard will not be up next year. Talk about rushing him - only one full year in the minors? Please.

Singleton will be in CF until Joe's up - after this year's performance, he deserves it.

Finally, keep Clayton, trade Durham.

CLR01
09-23-2001, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
Singleton will be in CF until Joe's up - after this year's performance, he deserves it.

Longshot receives 30 PTC points making him the leader, and he also receives an autographed Singleton sweat sock.

"Sorry, I didn't have a ball with me."
:slowswing

Finally, keep Clayton, trade Durham. [/QUOTE]

minus 5 points.

FarWestChicago
09-23-2001, 04:00 AM
Longshot receives 30 PTC points making him the leader, and he also receives an autographed Singleton sweat sock. How about an autographed piece of cork? :)

CLR01
09-23-2001, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
How about an autographed piece of cork? :)

"I have never nor will i ever use cork in my bats. That is just an annoying rumor that some guy that is known as Board Guy is spreading. If i ever find out who he is i will pay a lot of money to a man named Daver to send him a box of dead racoons. As for the autographed sock, well he is just lucky i did not reach a little deeper into my locker and grabbed my jock strap."

:)

FarWestChicago
09-23-2001, 04:15 AM
:shammy

Yeah, and I have never, nor will i ever, use steroids!

CLR01
09-23-2001, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:shammy

Yeah, and I have never, nor will i ever, use steroids!

"These accusations are outrageous, how many times have i broke bats in the last 3 months, and of those times how many times have you seen cork fly out of them? Wait i have an idea. I'll just send the raccoons to Cisco, with ATTN: Production Manager printed on the box. that'll work."

"I am working on getting a retraction printed from this Board Guy character."

http://vimad3.viewimages.com/wm/NM019736.jpg

idseer
09-23-2001, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by KempersRS
I was pretty excited about next year, moving on, fine tuning our team...but all of the sudden, that excitement is dulling. I'm a little scared with Jerry and Kenny at the helm. We thought this team had the potential to win for years and years to come, but all of the sudden, this team doesn't look like it is moving forward, but it is standing still.

gee, where have i heard all this before? help me out fellas!

HootieMcBoob
09-23-2001, 07:32 PM
now you have Konerko at 3rd--Valentin at ss-

Jeez, what are you trying to do, set the all-time record for errors on the left side of the infield?