PDA

View Full Version : I hate to post this, but here's "Moronotti's" take on the "Sox Pride" ad campaign...

hsnterprize
06-16-2004, 07:59 AM
I know a lot of you don't care what he or any other columnist says about the "Them vs. Us" ads that are playing on TV and such, but I heard his show yesterday morning, and I almost wanted to reach through my radio and choke the guy. Look...I can somewhat see where he's coming from...we shouldn't obsess over what the Cubs are doing when our team is in first place, and the "enemy" isn't. Me personally...I don't see ripping on the Cubs a little bit...I'm sick and tired of the people saying we should "support both teams". However, if you're a Cub fan, it's okay to concentrate on your team. What a bunch of hypocritical crap.

Anyway...here's the link to the article...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay16.html

Hey...I'm for "concentrating on teh Sox" like many of you. But let's face it...there's so much Cubbie hype out there that it's about time for the Sox and us Sox fans to stand up and fight back. We've obviously have been doing that, and I'm happy the Sox as an organization are doing it too. That's SOX PRIDE if I ever did see it.

daveeym
06-16-2004, 08:09 AM
True, the Cubs never have been more popular and have an increasing global following as they strike new ground as annual contenders.

Typical Flubiot. Try getting two winning seasons in a row before you call yourselves annual contenders.

HURT35
06-16-2004, 08:32 AM
All of the media types as usual miss the ENITIRE point. This was the first part of a campaign to embrace our SOXness. Think of the T-shirts that they will be selling, SOX PRIDE on the front, Its about US on the back. Them vs US - its about US. The focus is on US and being proud to be a Sox fan.

Three columns in two days in the rags and no one gets it.

eurotrash35
06-16-2004, 08:37 AM
It seems like all these cubs fans need to **** and stop being so sensitive. They always say the Sox have an inferiority complex but who are the ones constantly analyzing everything the Sox do? The minute one of them detects something that even remotely could be considered a manifestation of an inferiority complex they go bonkers.

Flub fans, get a life. Start worrying about your own crappy 4th place team, we'll be fine on the south side.

Tekijawa
06-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Wasn't the Cubs who started this US v. They Concept? Why was it cute enough to have on every Television show when that Cubs fan Sox fan web thing came out? Just because we don't have a cute little Sox symbol handing out garbage at Comiskey it has become something bad?

Yeah no double standard here!

SSN721
06-16-2004, 08:42 AM
It pisses me off to no end. MJ and H were really ripping the ad campaign yesterday. As much as people have said and he says himself, Mac seems to dislike just about everything White Sox. Jurko was amazingly the only one who really liked the ad campaign. It just seems that noone outside of die hard Sox fans recognize any bias at all. Its as if the Cubs fans just expect their team to be annointed the greatest team ever assembled in team sports. Its sickening. Also I dont understand why anything even poking fun at the Cubs is seen as such an attack by Cubs supporters and even some Sox fans. I think it is a funny ad, no real harm intended, what isnt true in it? It just amazes me how much bashing the Sox take and the second anyone tried to even poke a little fun at the Cubs they are suddenly the most evil people on the planet. Eh, just really pisses me off. I love how Mariottie still managed to slam Frank and management in the article even though it wasnt related to the original subject. Nice backhanded insult. What an ass. :angry:

Hokiesox
06-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Did Mariotti write this:

"It's silly enough that Boyer has introduced a furry mascot named Southpaw in a park populated by diehard baseball fans. "

Is he acknowledging we know baseball? He sure doesn't on his show....:o:

and what's up with this?

"the anti-Cubs bent is Boyer's way of making it "cool" to be a Sox fan.

Cool isn't manufactured. It's discovered. By winning games, divisions, pennants, world championships."

So, why are people Cubs fans?

Does he always contradict himself like this?

fledgedrallycap
06-16-2004, 08:56 AM
You know what, the media is taking this to levels that don't even exist. I live and work on the Northshore, hotbed of Cubdom, and haven't heard one single Cub fan rip into the commercial. You know why? Because it isn't insulting. They should be they fill the park everyday, anyday. Ronny Woo-Woo is a joke, any compitent Cub fan will admit it.

SSN721, I as well listened to MJH yesterday and it was the total lack of preperation by Mac and Harry that drove me crazy - they hadn't even seen the ad and were ripping it to shreds! A caller asked them to review the ad and Mac started reading Sleazak's humerous statements she authored, not the real ad. Then they were ripping into Brooks about producing a winning ballclub, while I agree stacking wins and penants is the only sure bet of selling out a stadium, his JOB is to be creative and reach out to his fan base by making them feel good about his product. A completely asinine discussion yesterday.

As I stated in a previous post, I hope the Sox ignore these dopes and continue on instilling Sox Pride everywhere.

Fungo
06-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Cool isn't manufactured. It's discovered. By winning games, divisions, pennants, world championships."

QUOTE]

That's the line that caught my eye as well...
[QUOTE] Cool isn't manufactured. It's discovered. By winning games, divisions, pennants, world championships.Yeah, cause the Cubs have a long history of doing that.

What a mope.

Dan H
06-16-2004, 09:11 AM
I am not a Mariotti basher, but this was his dumbest column. It only shows he has no understanding of Sox fans, and will do anything to defend the Cubbie myth. He swrote that Boyer made a "rookie mistake." Far from it. It was about time somebody in the Sox organization did something like this. It was the best commercial I have seen in decades.

I have been a big critic of the organization, but I don't believe in Reinsdorf bashing for the sake of just doing it. Mariotti should leave his personal feelings out of his column. If he can't do that, he will only destroy his own credibility, if he has any left.

TornLabrum
06-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Here's a clue for Mariottie: The Sox play the Cubs NEXT WEEK. It's a way of whipping up interest among Sox fans. Duh!

The Wimperoo
06-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Its not like this ad is even running for the rest of the season. It is only running until the Sox/Cubs series is over. It's just to build hype for the Crosstown.

bennyw41
06-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Yes. Very often.

SoxOnTop
06-16-2004, 09:26 AM
They constantly mope about unfair media coverage and a second-class existence, to the point their complaints become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

He says this and yet he's written 3X more articles about the Flubs than the Sox. And even in each Sox aritcle he either mentions the Flubs and or compares the Sox to the Flubs.:angry:

Why doesn't your sorry horse's arse write something positive about the 1st PLACE SOX instead of some lame-O article about their marketing department? Not just a lame-O article, but a late lame-O article.

Dude's pathetic.

Blob
06-16-2004, 09:30 AM
I love the way he says we're obsessed. If he would go to an actual Sox game once in a while he would notice that there are an awful lot of Flub jerseys, hats and t-shirts in Sox park. They root for the opposing teams no matter who it is. They were even rooting for the Braves on Saturday when I was there. How dumb is that! I go to about 35-40 per year and each year there are more and more Flub fans showing up at the Cell. When Scrammy was going for his 500th HR, there was a guy sitting behind Zach23 and I talking about how he had tickets but didn't go. And we're obsessed? If Frank was going for his 500th, I sure as HELL would not be in "The Urinal". I would be at home rooting for MY team. (Besides, I would never venture into the OTHER ballpark)

They are just JEALOUS! If you ask me, he is obsessed with being a Sox hatter. He could have easily devoted the whole article to how well the Sox and Big Frank were doing but, he just kind of threw that in as a punch to say I'm not jealous, I’m with you.

Guess what Gay Mariotti...We don't need you or want you!

Irishsox1
06-16-2004, 09:33 AM
As long as Moronetti keeps writing about the Sox, good or bad, I'm happy. The media is so slanted pro-flubbies, that I'll take anything. As for the details of the article, typical Moronetti garbage. Right now some bum is using the article to wipe his butt. Fitting end.

BeerHandle
06-16-2004, 09:34 AM
My email to Jay Mariotti!

Jay:

Good morning. I read your article, “In two-team town, Sox can stand on own” in the Sun-Times on June 16th. I may not agree with your article; however, you have made some factual enormous errors that discredit your article. I will outline the errors with the correct facts.

Point #1 (fact)

“True, the Cubs never have been more popular and have an increasing global following as they strike new ground as annual contenders.”

From www.espn.com (http://www.espn.com/)

1999- 67-95, 30 games out of 1st, ended the season in last place in a good division (at least the top two teams)
2000- 65-97, 30 games out of 1st, ended the season in last place in a weak division
2001- 88-74, 5 games out of 1st, ended the season in 3rd place in a good division
2002- 67-95, 30 games out of 1st, ended the season in 5th place n an awful division
2003-88-74, 0 games out of 1st, ended the season in 1st place in a good (more exciting) division
When have the Cubs been annual contenders during the last five years? I even went as far back as 1990 and the Cubs have not had back to back winning seasons.

Point #2 (fact)

“The case against him: He has been primarily a designated hitter” – Thomas portion of your article

From www.mlb.com (http://www.mlb.com/) and http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=123245 (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=123245)

Thomas has played first base in 970 games and has played in a total of 1907 total games. If I read the statistics correctly, then Thomas has played at first base a little more then half of his career (50.86%).

Point #3 (my opinion)

“It's silly enough that Boyer has introduced a furry mascot named Southpaw in a park populated by diehard baseball fans.”

US Cellular Field may currently be populated by Die-Hards; however, the Sox need to reach out to young potential fans to continue to rebuild their fan base. The fact is that the Sox lost many fans due to the baseball strike in 1994 (which JR was a big part) and the White Flag Trade (even though it helped the team down the road). I do not think a furry Mascot or mini-field in left field (not mentioned in your article) will stop the die-hard Sox fans from coming to the park. In reality, it will probably help bring in more youth and little league outings to the park.

Point #4 (my opinion)

“Sox fever is spreading, a sensation that can stand proudly by itself in a two-team town. Forget about one-upping the Cubs. This team is worthy of its own stage and, one would hope, its own ad campaign.”

Sox fever is spreading and as a fan I love the campaign. The response to the advertising campaign has been overwhelming positive. I have read many threads and posts on the White Sox message board (mlb.com) and WSI. .Are you a Sox fan? If you were, you would enjoy the advertising campaign. Nothing is wrong with the latest campaign making reference to the Cubs. Don’t major products mention their arch rival (in this case cross-town rival) in their advertising campaigns? I think so! Have you seen the latest Bud-Miller campaigns?

Sincerely

SEALgep
06-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Good job Beerhandle, that was handled well I thought.

daveeym
06-16-2004, 09:50 AM
BEERHANDLE BEERHANDLE BEERHANDLE:gulp: :gulp:

Flight #24
06-16-2004, 10:06 AM

Jay:

Good morning. I read your article, “In two-team town, Sox can stand on own” in the Sun-Times on June 16th. I may not agree with your article; however, you have made some factual enormous errors that discredit your article. I will outline the errors with the correct facts.

Point #1 (fact)

“True, the Cubs never have been more popular and have an increasing global following as they strike new ground as annual contenders.”

1999- 67-95, 30 games out of 1st, ended the season in last place in a good division (at least the top two teams)
2000- 65-97, 30 games out of 1st, ended the season in last place in a weak division
2001- 88-74, 5 games out of 1st, ended the season in 3rd place in a good division
2002- 67-95, 30 games out of 1st, ended the season in 5th place n an awful division
2003-88-74, 0 games out of 1st, ended the season in 1st place in a good (more exciting) division
When have the Cubs been annual contenders during the last five years? I even went as far back as 1990 and the Cubs have not had back to back winning seasons.

Point #2 (fact)

“The case against him: He has been primarily a designated hitter” – Thomas portion of your article

From www.mlb.com (http://www.mlb.com/) and http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=123245 (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=123245)

Thomas has played first base in 970 games and has played in a total of 1907 total games. If I read the statistics correctly, then Thomas has played at first base a little more then half of his career (50.86%).

Point #3 (my opinion)

“It's silly enough that Boyer has introduced a furry mascot named Southpaw in a park populated by diehard baseball fans.”

US Cellular Field may currently be populated by Die-Hards; however, the Sox need to reach out to young potential fans to continue to rebuild their fan base. The fact is that the Sox lost many fans due to the baseball strike in 1994 (which JR was a big part) and the White Flag Trade (even though it helped the team down the road). I do not think a furry Mascot or mini-field in left field (not mentioned in your article) will stop the die-hard Sox fans from coming to the park. In reality, it will probably help bring in more youth and little league outings to the park.

Point #4 (my opinion)

“Sox fever is spreading, a sensation that can stand proudly by itself in a two-team town. Forget about one-upping the Cubs. This team is worthy of its own stage and, one would hope, its own ad campaign.”

Sox fever is spreading and as a fan I love the campaign. The response to the advertising campaign has been overwhelming positive. I have read many threads and posts on the White Sox message board (mlb.com) and WSI. .Are you a Sox fan? If you were, you would enjoy the advertising campaign. Nothing is wrong with the latest campaign making reference to the Cubs. Don’t major products mention their arch rival (in this case cross-town rival) in their advertising campaigns? I think so! Have you seen the latest Bud-Miller campaigns?

Sincerely
Excellent job - the only thing missing is his comment

Cool isn't manufactured. It's discovered. By winning games, divisions, pennants, world championships.
And the Cubs are therefore "cool" because........they won 1 last year?

Hokiesox
06-16-2004, 10:35 AM
I'll take a handle of beer.:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

GoSox2K3
06-16-2004, 10:38 AM

Jay:

Good morning. I read your article, “In two-team town, Sox can stand on own” in the Sun-Times on June 16th. I may not agree with your article; however, you have made some factual enormous errors that discredit your article. I will outline the errors with the correct facts......[/QUOTE]
Great e-mail. I think the sports reports in this town are too stupid to figure out that this ad is AIMED AT SOX FANS - and they love it! It's meant to energize our existing fan base. It's only one ad that will have a limited run and is not the "centerpiece" of the Sox marketing campaign as claimed by that liar the Cubs have for a marketing director.

Cub fans hate these ads? Oh, surprise, surprise!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: They are the world's biggest crybabies who think it's everyone's god given right to despise the Sox (I heard that even God loves the Cubs and hates the Sox!) but start whining like a bunch of babies the moment anyone dares take a jab at their precious flubbies. I think the fact this ad is getting Cubbie fans angry is another sign of it's success. I thought Cub fans didn't care about the Sox!

So, a bunch of sports reporters in town are ripping on the ads - No surprise there since they are Cub fans and hate the Sox. Expecting otherwise would be like expecting PRAVDA to sing praises about America during the height of the cold war.

Interesting that Moronotti actually had some good things buried in his article to say about the Sox. Our park is filled with die-hards and Sox fever is spreading.

CanOfCorn
06-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Haven't we tried marketing players since the strike?

The Kids campaign, the Bat Men campaign, and I forget what else. Those didn't do anything for attendance; in fact, I knew a lot of people that didn't like them. And we had a pennant-winner in 2000, and contenders in the following years as well. So we don't draw, we get slammed. Brooks does something to fire up the fanbase (and perhaps increase attendance, has yet to be determined), and we get slammed.

That's the life of the Sox organization and its fans -- damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Damn them all to helllllll.

ma_deuce
06-16-2004, 11:33 AM
:moron

"Wow, are you Sox fans ungrateful! I finally write a positive article about the Sox, and look at the reaction. I'm going back to writing negative articles about you guys for now on!"

Tekijawa
06-16-2004, 11:34 AM

Jay:

Point #1 (fact)

Point #2 (fact)

Point #3 (my opinion)

Point #4 (my opinion)

Sincerely:moron

"You're wrong for SO MANY reasons. Here are most of them: the seats are blue at Comiskey which is located in the heart of the most dangerous neighborhood on the planet, I have a radioshow, appear on National Televised Sports shows, and have a colum in a large newspaper Now root for the Cubs because I told you to"

pudge
06-16-2004, 11:36 AM
All of the media types as usual miss the ENITIRE point. This was the first part of a campaign to embrace our SOXness. Think of the T-shirts that they will be selling, SOX PRIDE on the front, Its about US on the back. Them vs US - its about US. The focus is on US and being proud to be a Sox fan.

And why are they all so late in reacting to this ad, which ran like two weeks ago? WSI had two articles on the ads before the papers did, and the WSI articles actually got the point of the campaign.

onesox
06-16-2004, 11:47 AM
One BIG Positive about This article............rack 1 up for the SOx in Hangars media watch.....YEEESSSS!!!!

sendimjoey
06-16-2004, 11:57 AM
I don't need to add my agreement to most of the comments about Mariotti. I will submit a link to Daily Herald columnist Mike Imrem, who does get it:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_imrem.asp?intid=38154176

I guess it figures that those Cubs "fans" who started "following" the team because it's "popular" wouldn't understand loyal Sox fans, even if we had our own newspaper.

ChiSoxBobette
06-16-2004, 12:01 PM

The other thing these media morons don't get is that this is the same type of stuff Bill Veeck would be doing. Someone should tell these horses butts that they should read the late Bill Veeck's book, there is a part in the book that even mentions doing something just like this to a rival team that would be in the same city as yours if you were the owner of the smaller market team. Especially when all of the sports media experts always like to compare this White Sox team under JR with Bill Veecks teams. Like it says on the back of those new White Sox Pride shirts Its About Us. I think all of the new thinks that the new PR guy has come up with are great, the new intro of the players at the beginning of the game even got some great comments from Philly players who said it would be fun to be intro'd that way, the throwing of the t-shirts into the stand around the 5th inning , even the new mascot. Lets face it if those same things were going on at gigley it would be the greatest thing happening in Chicago but because we've started it it gets laughed at.
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Lip Man 1
06-16-2004, 12:09 PM
I just don't understand why some in the media (and it's not just Jay) think it's so wrong for Sox fans to hate the Cubs and Cub fans to hate the Sox.

Unless it escalates into physical violance (which granted sometimes it does) what's the harm?

Have these folks never gone to New York? or to the Bay Area?? Ask a Yankee fan how they feel about the Mets...Ask a Giant fan how they feel about the A's.

Hell Jerry Reinsdorf himself at the Sox picnic for season ticket holders in September 1998, put on a Braves hat and told all who attended to 'go home and root for the Braves." (who were playing the Cubs in the NLDS.)

Absolutely nothing wrong with hating the opposing baseball team in Chicago. I almost get the feeling that with some of the media it's a question of 'civic pride,' like 'Chicagoans are above things like this...'

No they are not!

Lip

jackbrohamer
06-16-2004, 12:22 PM
The other thing these media morons don't get is that this is the same type of stuff Bill Veeck would be doing.
Good point. Veeck even did his own "Media Watch" his second go-around with the Sox where someone actually measured the space devoted to Sox v. Cubs coverage and showed that the Sox weren't given as much press.

mdep524
06-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Did Mariotti write this:

"the anti-Cubs bent is Boyer's way of making it "cool" to be a Sox fan.

DING DING!!! That's the first thing I thought when I read the article. It's so sad that Mariotti gets any attention at all. :(:

inta
06-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Wow, what a shock...

the cubs start winning again, so the moronotti goes running back to their cuddly embrace.

what a tool...

jeremyb1
06-16-2004, 01:35 PM
I wonder what Mariotti would say if you asked him what the purpose of Sox TV advertisements should be. To be politte and politically correct? If you ask me I'd say the point is to increase the fan base and get people out to the ballpark. Mariotti writes this entire article from his point of view - that of a (supposedly) neutral columnist, which is completely worthless when considering ads directed at baseball fans. As far as I can tell any ad is probably going to have two purposes:

1. Bring the team's fans out to the ballpark in larger numbers.

Whether or not Mariotti realizes it, Sox fans hate the Cubs and Cub fans. I've yet to meet a particularly serious Sox fan that attends multiple games in a season that also likes the Cubs. So if you're appealing to what happens to be one of the strongest convictions of your fanbase, then you're probably doing a pretty good job increasing interest in the club, no? Mariotti may feel that conviction is appalling. Fine good for him. Again, this is a business. It's about money, it's not about being P.C. If you're not offending your target audience what is the problem?!

2. Increase the team's fanbase.

Mariotti himself makes the argument that the Cubs never have been more popular and have an increasing global following as they strike new ground as annual contenders If I'm a Chicagoan who doesn't himself to be a fan of either club and lacks knowledge about the city's teams, I'm probably going to form my perceptions based on two factors: the media and discussions with friends, family, acquaintances, etc. Maybe if you're Mariotti, you feel the Sox get equal fair coverage with the Cubs but it's been proven to be a falsehood by Hangar's work if nothing else. Maybe the media is good to the Sox and love them but based on the media's treatment of the Cubs, they are the best sports franchise in the history of sports enjoying their best season ever. If you talk to any Cub fan (and they outnumber Sox fans so you're more likely to encounter one if you live in the city) you'll form the same impression. In order to persuade neutral fans to come out to the Cell instead of Wrigley then, the organization needs to convince people the Sox are the better team to follow since few fans actively support both clubs equally. Assuming one has been exposed to the hype that the Cubs are the best franchise in the history of sports, to convince the person that he or she should go see the Sox instead there are only two options: 1) Convincing them that the Sox are in fact the best franchise in the history of sports and the Cubs are actually second or 2) Refuting the notion that the Cubs are so incredibly wonderful. If you ask me, option number two is far more effective because it's much more accurate and the national media, local media, and other Chicagoans simply aren't going to lend any support to option number 1.

maurice
06-16-2004, 02:58 PM
He's right. Clearly, the commercial was a bad one. That's why the Sox are reaping the benefit of tons of free publicity from every media outlet in the city. A "Carlos Lee is good" comercial receiving no publicity would be much better.

He just hates the fact that the Chicago media finally is talking about the Sox.

:moron
"You are all just jealous because your Sox commercial will never achieve the amount attention devoted to that brilliant cubs commercial where . . . uh . . . y'know, that really cool one when . . . um . . . a little help, guys?"

Even Sosa needs a Sox fan to make his commercial entertaining. :gulp:

rmusacch
06-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Typical Flubiot. Try getting two winning seasons in a row before you call yourselves annual contenders.
I was thinking the same thing.

1951Campbell
06-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Think of the T-shirts that they will be selling, SOX PRIDE on the front, Its about US on the back. Them vs US - its about US. The focus is on US and being proud to be a Sox fan.

Where can I get these T-shirts if I live far away? I don't see them on the team site.

BeerHandle
06-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Where can I get these T-shirts if I live far away? I don't see them on the team site.
I received an email from Brooks Boyer about the shirts. He said they should be available for sale during the next homestand. They will be for sale at the ballpark and in the Majestic Trailers in the parking lot. Majestic Athletic will be responsible for the sale of the shirts.

If you do not live near the park, I would suggest calling Majestic Athletics to see how you can receive a shirt. My guess is that they will be selling them online.

MRKARNO
06-16-2004, 03:48 PM

Jay:

Sincerely

Mariotti will probably send his stock response back which goes something to the effect of: "Well everyone else who read the article agreed with me and congratulated me for writing such a piece?"

When I first read the headline, I thought it was actually going to be a positive article about the Sox. I realized that the contrary was true just a few lines in.

Flight #24
06-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Mariotti will probably send his stock response back which goes something to the effect of: "Well everyone else who read the article agreed with me and congratulated me for writing such a piece?"

When I first read the headline, I thought it was actually going to be a positive article about the Sox. I realized that the contrary was true just a few lines in.
I had the same reaction when I read the headline, then I read the author and realized there was a backhanded swipe coming somewhere (and personally, I'd like to backhand that "swipe").

hawkjt
06-16-2004, 04:48 PM
I think a big part of this ad is to contrast the cub vs sox experience. Clearly the sox are positioning themselves as a family alternative to the cubs party on wheels deal. The changes to the ballpark to come accent the kids and this is the market the sox have to focus on as they will never compete with the cubs party atmosphere. It is a smart approach .

Jerry_Manuel
06-16-2004, 06:42 PM
It's silly enough that Boyer has introduced a furry mascot named Southpaw in a park populated by diehard baseball fans
Jesus, Mariotti is a fool.

It's common knowledge Brooks didn't come up with the mascot, and Jay needs to get a life the mascot is for kids.

1951Campbell
06-16-2004, 06:54 PM
I received an email from Brooks Boyer about the shirts. He said they should be available for sale during the next homestand. They will be for sale at the ballpark and in the Majestic Trailers in the parking lot. Majestic Athletic will be responsible for the sale of the shirts.

If you do not live near the park, I would suggest calling Majestic Athletics to see how you can receive a shirt. My guess is that they will be selling them online.
Majestic Athletics. Gotcha.

Thanks!

:bandance:

AnkleSox
06-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Again Moronotti takes a cheapshot at our attendance. Has he even looked at the numbers since the end of may? I believe quite a few games, including i think 2 or maybe even all three of the braves series, were played in front of near sell-out crowds.

Nick@Nite
06-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Mariotti said something?

doublem23
06-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Again Moronotti takes a cheapshot at our attendance. Has he even looked at the numbers since the end of may? I believe quite a few games, including i think 2 or maybe even all three of the braves series, were played in front of near sell-out crowds.
See, when the facts don't back up what you already believe, don't ponder your position, just tweak the facts until it works.

gosox41
06-17-2004, 09:24 AM
I only read Jay when a link is posted here as I don't bother with supporting the paper any other way. Here is a letter I wrote Jay:

Jay,
I just wanted to send you a thank you note. As much as you love to bash the Sox at will, I want to thank you for the free advertising you give the team. Brooks Boyer has created a great ad for the sole reason that it gets people talking about it. That's the whole idea of advertising...getting the name of the product in people's heads. You are helping the White Sox and Brooks make their job much easier. I must have missed the fact that you also have an MBA in marketing.

I beg you to keep talking about the team. Sure, you throw in your usual negative comments, but who cares? People know you are never big on doing research and getting the facts straight. You got people talking about the Sox and getting curious. Based on your previous articles, I'm sure it's not a goal you wanted. And even your negativity isn't reaching as many people as thought as I'm sure you heard the news yesterday about the circulation issue at your tabloid. Who says the that the employees of a company don't represent the attitudes and beliefs of mangement as they're the one's who hired you to begin with.

I'm sure "dozens of people have called to congratulate you on this article." Good for you, Jay. There may be a day those people aren't your immediate family, voices in your head, or your factually challenged bosses. Consider this one of those days where I congratulate you and your ignorance.

Keep hyping up the Sox!!!!

Bob

Flight #24
06-17-2004, 09:46 AM
I only read Jay when a link is posted here as I don't bother with supporting the paper any other way. Here is a letter I wrote Jay:

Jay,
I just wanted to send you a thank you note. As much as you love to bash the Sox at will, I want to thank you for the free advertising you give the team. Brooks Boyer has created a great ad for the sole reason that it gets people talking about it. That's the whole idea of advertising...getting the name of the product in people's heads. You are helping the White Sox and Brooks make their job much easier. I must have missed the fact that you also have an MBA in marketing.

I beg you to keep talking about the team. Sure, you throw in your usual negative comments, but who cares? People know you are never big on doing research and getting the facts straight. You got people talking about the Sox and getting curious. Based on your previous articles, I'm sure it's not a goal you wanted. And even your negativity isn't reaching as many people as thought as I'm sure you heard the news yesterday about the circulation issue at your tabloid. Who says the that the employees of a company don't represent the attitudes and beliefs of mangement as they're the one's who hired you to begin with.

I'm sure "dozens of people have called to congratulate you on this article." Good for you, Jay. There may be a day those people aren't your immediate family, voices in your head, or your factually challenged bosses. Consider this one of those days where I congratulate you and your ignorance.

Keep hyping up the Sox!!!!

Bob
Outstanding and hilarious. WTG gosox41.

gosox41
06-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Outstanding and hilarious. WTG gosox41.Thank you. It just seemed to easy with that scandal that came out yesterday about the Sun Times lying about their circulation numbers. It got me thinking and luckily I saw that JayMo article out with more innaccurate facts.

I think there is a correlation between dishonest management and dishonest employees. I think people hire people that they are similar to. Case in point right here with JayMo.

I'll post any reposnse that I get. But I think we all know that Jay doesn't have the guts to respond.

Bob