PDA

View Full Version : Big Hurt Headed to All Star / MVP Season

jfo go go sox
06-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Are we seeing the re-emergence of Frank Thomas at the best possible moment. I am all for a push for Sox fans and baseball fans to pust him to the All Star game. The more confident he becomes, the better everyone on the team plays. I have always been a big Thomas supporter in the sea of discontent that is our star player, but the self imposed media boycott maybe the best thing Frank has ever done for the team and himself. I have started to vote as many times on the internet as I can for Frank, I say keep him at first and see what happens.

:gulp:

I'll drink to that!

delben91
06-16-2004, 08:49 AM
If he does make it to the All-Star game I hope he doesn't enter the HR-Derby. Any time a Sox player has been involved in that competition, their timing has been off for weeks/months after the event. The game and the honor are great, but I won't begrudge any Sox player that refuses to enter the HR-Derby.

hold2dibber
06-16-2004, 08:59 AM
Frank arguably has been the best hitter in the AL this season (certainly top 2 or 3). He's a long shot to win the fan voting for an All-Star slot, but it would be an outrage, if he continues at or about this pace, if he were to not be selected. But he's been unfairly snubbed about 4 times in his career already, so it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

BeerHandle
06-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Take a look at Thomas' ranking in the AL as of this morning.

HR - 1st (tie)
Doubles - 9th (tie)
RBI's - 7th (tie)
Walks - 1st
OBP - 1st
Slugging - 2nd
OPS - 1st

This guy deserves to be in the All-Star game!!!

Iguana775
06-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Take a look at Thomas' ranking in the AL as of this morning.

HR - 1st (tie)
Doubles - 9th (tie)
RBI's - 7th (tie)
Walks - 1st
OBP - 1st
Slugging - 2nd
OPS - 1st

This guy deserves to be in the All-Star game!!!
Deserving doesnt mean he'll get it. I am sure that Sammy will get plenty of votes even though he hasnt played in a long time.

RKMeibalane
06-16-2004, 10:48 AM
But he's been unfairly snubbed about 4 times in his career already, so it certainly wouldn't surprise me.You're right. He has been snubbed four times: 1991, 1992, 2000, 2003

It's really a shame that people overlook everything he's accomplished.

Deserving doesnt mean he'll get it. I am sure that Sammy will get plenty of votes even though he hasnt played in a long time.
The last time I checked, Sosa was one of the leading vote-getters for the outfielders, so he will probably get the start in right field for the NL. Sad.

gosox41
06-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Are we seeing the re-emergence of Frank Thomas at the best possible moment. I am all for a push for Sox fans and baseball fans to pust him to the All Star game. The more confident he becomes, the better everyone on the team plays. I have always been a big Thomas supporter in the sea of discontent that is our star player, but the self imposed media boycott maybe the best thing Frank has ever done for the team and himself. I have started to vote as many times on the internet as I can for Frank, I say keep him at first and see what happens.

:gulp:

I'll drink to that!
Reermergence? When did he leave? :D:

He missed 2001 because of injury and spent most of 2002 recovering but still putting up solid numbers.

Bob

RKMeibalane
06-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Reermergence? When did he leave? :D:

He missed 2001 because of injury and spent most of 2002 recovering but still putting up solid numbers.

Bob
Exactly. Why is it that people think Frank dropped off the face of the earth? He was recovering from a serious injury, and still managed to post better numbers than ninety five percent of the other players in baseball. It's truly amazing how people in the media like to talk about Frank's decline. What decline? Yes, his batting average has decreased from the level it was at during the nineties, but that is hardly a guarantee that his skills have declined. If anything, I think Frank still has several years of baseball left in him. He's going to end up with 550-600 home runs before he's through, maybe more.

jackbrohamer
06-16-2004, 01:26 PM
"Deserving" doesn't even factor into it. Garciaparra was leading AL SS's last week, even though he hadn't played a game

WWIII
06-16-2004, 01:37 PM
All Star voting is nothing more than a popularity contest. It sucks, but it's true. Deserving players are snubbed each and every year, while the Yankees have five or six players voted in as starters. Take the voting thus far - Giambi is leading 1B voting? Follwed by Carlos Delgado? Frank's numbers blow them both away. They are both having sub-par years, but are being voted in based on popularity. On the other hand, Frank has played 1B all of twice this season, but it is usually not the fielding stats that get someone on the team. When all is said and done, something tells me, Frank will be on the team this year no matter what. And if the Sox can maintain their newsworthy performance, he will get the recognition to earn the votes. So let's hope for that.

Flight #24
06-16-2004, 02:13 PM
Will Shingo get his rightful place on the team? Frank'll be there, especially since his "hot streak" (in quotes because I think it's not a streak but will continue throughout the season) has coincided with Maggs absence and been the primary driver of the team's success.

But Mr. Zero - if HIS streak continues, there's a truly deserving guy that could get left off despite having a VERY cool nickname.

doublem23
06-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Will Shingo get his rightful place on the team? Frank'll be there, especially since his "hot streak" (in quotes because I think it's not a streak but will continue throughout the season) has coincided with Maggs absence and been the primary driver of the team's success.

But Mr. Zero - if HIS streak continues, there's a truly deserving guy that could get left off despite having a VERY cool nickname.
Shingo has no real chance of making the team unless he saves 20 or so games by the All-Star Break. Closers are overvalued nowadays, while middle reliefmen are undervalued.

BeerHandle
06-16-2004, 05:49 PM
I agree. It is sad that the All-Star game is a popularity contest. The fact is that the game now matters for home field advantage and the best players are not on the field!:angry:

MRKARNO
06-16-2004, 05:54 PM
I would say that Thomas is in a tie for first for being the best hitter in the American League with Manny Ramirez. Vladdy right behind at number three. If the White Sox do anything this year he might get very serious MVP consideration. He's not going to get voted on the all star team so we have to hope Torre selects him. Giambi is already leading so that helps Frank's cause. So does the fact that Thomas leads the AL in homers (with Manny).

hawkjt
06-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Even in 98 and 99 when he had the bone spur the size of a walnut he hit .300 one year and had 100 rbi's the other. And those were his horrible years. Then in 2001 gets freak injury and is out for the year. 2002 he is recovering timing and strength from an injury no one had really ever had. Frank is the greatest hitter in Chicago baseall history and better be a first ballot HOF.

CWSGuy406
06-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Hell - let the NL start Sammy in right field, fine with me. This game means home-field in the WS, and if they want a strikeout king in right field, that's great. He'll be blown away by Schilling, Buerhle, Mulder, Pedro, etc.

SOXintheBURGH
06-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Hows Marky Mark doing in the ballot for SPs?