PDA

View Full Version : Frank's Home Run dirty?

huskie26
06-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Does anyone else feel kind of dirty that we won on a botched call by an ump? Thomas' homer hit of the scoreboard and the ground rules for Pro Player are:

"Ball strikes any portion of left-field scoreboard below the uppermost edge, it is in play."

Hawk and DJ were saying that they caught a break courtesy of the officiating. I have always felt that if my team catches a break they should win by more points than the break allowed. I realize that breaks are going to go against us sometimes and it all comes out in the wash but winning like this doesn't feel as good as it should.

Iguana775
06-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Does anyone else feel kind of dirty that we won on a botched call by an ump? Thomas' homer hit of the scoreboard and the ground rules for Pro Player are:

"Ball strikes any portion of left-field scoreboard below the uppermost edge, it is in play."

Hawk and DJ were saying that they caught a break courtesy of the officiating. I have always felt that if my team catches a break they should win by more points than the break allowed. I realize that breaks are going to go against us sometimes and it all comes out in the wash but winning like this doesn't feel as good as it should.
Hell no. :supernana:

Unregistered
06-15-2004, 11:28 PM

Hawk and DJ were saying that they caught a break courtesy of the officiating. I have always felt that if my team catches a break they should win by more points than the break allowed. I realize that breaks are going to go against us sometimes and it all comes out in the wash but winning like this doesn't feel as good as it should. Eh, this makes up for the legion of calls that go against us. Crede's "homer that wasn't" in Camden Yards last year comes to mind...

OEO Magglio
06-15-2004, 11:28 PM

Hawk and DJ were saying that they caught a break courtesy of the officiating. I have always felt that if my team catches a break they should win by more points than the break allowed. I realize that breaks are going to go against us sometimes and it all comes out in the wash but winning like this doesn't feel as good as it should.First of all I could care less how they win, there will be breaks that go against you also. Second that seemed to hit to the right of the scoreboard there seemed to be a little crack between the scoreboard, I'm not sure if thats true but who knows.

Nick@Nite
06-15-2004, 11:29 PM
No. The players play, the umps umpire... play the calls then get on with it, I say.

Wtg Hurt, nice tater!

doublem23
06-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Earlier in the game, we had a few balls sharply hit that took very pro-Marlin bounces (Garland's sharp grounder that bounced off Burnet right to Gonzalez comes to mind and one that one-hopped Choi at first who played it perfectly)... I'll take every win we can get. No Sox fan ever complained about winning ugly. :cool:

nasox
06-15-2004, 11:34 PM
Like the old adage goes, you are gonna win 40 and lose 40. It's how you do in the rest of them. Chalk this up to a win 40.

SEALgep
06-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Eh, this makes up for the legion of calls that go against us. Crede's "homer that wasn't" in Camden Yards last year comes to mind...Exactly, and about a million other calls we've been hosed on. I'll take payment for them all the way to the WS.:bandance:

SEALgep
06-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Like the old adage goes, you are gonna win 40 and lose 40. It's how you do in the rest of them. Chalk this up to a win 40.I think this may qualify as what we did with the rest of them. We stole this game, fair and square (not this Frank's cheap homerun talk), but we straight up stole it. I love it.:bandance:

ode to veeck
06-15-2004, 11:46 PM
No Sox fan ever complained about winning ugly. :cool:
You got that right, let's send replays of the HR to Doug Radar

compy75
06-15-2004, 11:58 PM
I had the Marlins telecast and they agreed it was a home run. From the view they showed it hit the base of the stands in the crevace between the scoreboard and the lower rising portion of the fence.

chisox06
06-16-2004, 12:09 AM
I had the Marlins telecast and they agreed it was a home run. From the view they showed it hit the base of the stands in the crevace between the scoreboard and the lower rising portion of the fence.
Yup me too. It was a homer. The ball hit inbetween the rises in that cardboard cut out of a scoreboard, after it was explained to Mckeon he agreed. Besides, if that ball was hit at Comiskey it woulda been 12 rows deep. Stop trying to put a damper on a great, and I mean a great game.

Huisj
06-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Like the old adage goes, you are gonna win 40 and lose 40. It's how you do in the rest of them. Chalk this up to a win 40.
wouldn't it be more like 50 and 50 or 60 and 60? most teams win at least 60 games, and the best teams usually lose about 60.

but i get the point

RKMeibalane
06-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Considering how many times the Sox have been screwed by bad calls, I'm not going to feel sympathy for another team that may have been victimized by one. Besides, based on what has been said about the home run, it seems like it was legitamite, just as Frank's home run to right field was legitamite on Saturday. People need stop looking for the cloud in every silver lining. Frank is swinging the bat well. Let's just enjoy that and stop worrying about details.

voodoochile
06-16-2004, 12:16 AM

No no no no, that's impossible, the umpires hate the Sox and are conspiring against us. This can't have actually happened, you must have mis-seen, mis-heard, mis-understood and completely mis-interpreted what actually happened. Probably the GR says that when the ball strikes that exact point on the scoreboard, the offensive team is supposed to get double the runs normally called for and the Sox in reality got screwed to have to play extra innings at all...

RKMeibalane
06-16-2004, 12:28 AM
That's what I saw, as well. It was a home run. People love to search for things to comlain about around here. I'm surprised no one has pointed out that Timo's home run barely cleared the fence in right field. Wait! Did I just say that? Oops!

huskie26
06-16-2004, 12:49 AM
if that ball was hit at Comiskey it woulda been 12 rows deep. Stop trying to put a damper on a great, and I mean a great game.
Besides, based on what has been said about the home run, it seems like it was legitamite,
I wasn't trying to put a damper on a great game and am sorry if I did for anyone. The Sox won and are in first place, Carlos got number 28 and the homer counted, legitimately. We just beat the WORLD CHAMPS. I might however be guilty of not putting the best title on a thread.

All I was trying to say was, if something was questionable, I like the score to reflect that the questionable call didn't matter. I just don't want to be the Patriots fan that wonders what the Rams could have done with the three seconds after the field goal.

Dadawg_77
06-16-2004, 12:58 AM
I wasn't trying to put a damper on a great game and am sorry if I did for anyone. The Sox won and are in first place, Carlos got number 28 and the homer counted, legitimately. We just beat the WORLD CHAMPS. I might however be guilty of not putting the best title on a thread.

All I was trying to say was, if something was questionable, I like the score to reflect that the questionable call didn't matter. I just don't want to be the Patriots fan that wonders what the Rams could have done with the three seconds after the field goal.:whocares
They have the Super Bowl and we have a win. If the Sox win the WS on a questionable call, I don't give a ****.

CapeFish
06-16-2004, 01:05 AM
You don't need to feel dirty about your Sox gaining a victory. The umpires should feel dirty for making so many mistakes in tonight's game in terms of the ground rules and the strike zone tonight moved more than ever. I noticed the Sox were also grumbling about the umpires and the calls behind the plate in some of the camera shots we had. Our broadcasters don't really complain too much since it is just one game, but expect this team to come out tomorrow and play!
:)

flo-B-flo
06-16-2004, 01:14 AM
after 60..... well great start. Starters giving Sox a chance for the win. Continue winning one run games. Hitting will come and go. Pitching---- well you know. Takatsu is the closer. Great TEAM attitude. Ozzie is a real baseball man.

pudge
06-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Just to add to what's already been said, it was a legit homer, the replay on the Marlins broadcast showed it clearly, and the broadcasters agreed.

Vernam
06-16-2004, 01:38 AM
Yup me too. It was a homer. The ball hit inbetween the rises in that cardboard cut out of a scoreboard, after it was explained to Mckeon he agreed. Besides, if that ball was hit at Comiskey it woulda been 12 rows deep. Stop trying to put a damper on a great, and I mean a great game.What's up w/ that cheesy ballpark, anyway? And people have the nerve to criticize the Cell . . .

I agree, nothing cheap about Frank's dinger.

VC :gulp:

ChiSoxBobette
06-16-2004, 07:20 AM

After what the White Sox go through with umpires squeezing the plate and numerous other bad breaks we are owed at least one. maybe we should give the win back because you feel dirty . That line of yours about "winning like this doesn't feel as good as it should" is purely dumb.

ma_deuce
06-16-2004, 08:46 AM
The homer was clean, so I don't feel dirty. If it wasn't clean, I still wouldn't feel dirty. Thats baseball.

iwannago
06-16-2004, 02:20 PM
I agree that's what I heard. Their replay looked as if it was a home run.

oheeoh...magglio
06-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Like the old adage goes, you are gonna win 40 and lose 40. It's how you do in the rest of them.

Well if that's true, then the Tigers went 3-79 in "the rest of them" last season......

:o: :supernana:

jackbrohamer
06-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Is it the Hawk who always says "I'd rather be lucky than good"? The Sox don't seem to get lucky calls from umpires that often so even if they botched it yesterday who cares

CapeFish
06-16-2004, 11:06 PM
What's up w/ that cheesy ballpark, anyway? And people have the nerve to criticize the Cell . . .

I agree, nothing cheap about Frank's dinger.

VC :gulp:
Please don't call it a ballpark, that depressing monster in North Miami doesn't deserve that distinction. The last pro ballpark in Miami had lights before Wrigley and was called Bobby Maduro Stadium. Real ballparks don't have endzones. We shall have our park soon. 2007 Opening Day here we come!

I don't get why people are always saying that the Sox Park is bad? It looked good during last year's All Star Game and the renovations are making it look even better. If only the Sox would switch with the Flubs and join the NL so we could avoid that antique on the Northside for a modern facility on the Southside.

Brian26
06-16-2004, 11:42 PM
That's what I saw, too. Hawk and DJ were wrong. That ball DID NOT hit any part of the scoreboard. It hit the retractable/folded stands behind the scoreboard.

Brian26
06-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Please don't call it a ballpark, that depressing monster in North Miami doesn't deserve that distinction. The last pro ballpark in Miami had lights before Wrigley and was called Bobby Maduro Stadium. Real ballparks don't have endzones. We shall have our park soon. 2007 Opening Day here we come!
It's still light years ahead of the other Florida ballpark, so take sollace in that.

CapeFish
06-17-2004, 12:06 AM
It's still light years ahead of the other Florida ballpark, so take sollace in that.
Nope, I have been to both and the Trop is a much better ballpark. With so many great high school, college, and minor league/spring training parks in this state and we don't have a proper ballpark.

voodoochile
06-17-2004, 08:04 AM
Didn't JR have a hand in designing that one also?:o:

Brian26
06-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Didn't JR have a hand in designing that one also?:o:

Not sure about that, but you may be correct. I know our St. Petersburgh White Sox were scheduled to play there until June 30, 1988 when everything got turned around thanks to Big Jim T.

Brian26
06-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Nope, I have been to both and the Trop is a much better ballpark. With so many great high school, college, and minor league/spring training parks in this state and we don't have a proper ballpark.

I'm surprised by that. How is the Trop better? At least Joe Robbie is an outdoor park, and the renovations made prior to '93 at least make it somewhat baseball friendly. I know the dimensions are quirky, but at least you're on natural grass and outside. I don't imagine all the seats face the infield since the stadium is really built for football and soccer, but I'd imagine it's still better than the Trop.