PDA

View Full Version : The Sox need another reliever too

Malgar 12
06-15-2004, 08:34 PM
While another starter is obviously the most pressing need, it is becoming more and more apparent that the Sox bullpen is in need of another quality arm. The ancient Mike Jackson is running on fumes and sports a 5.25 ERA. The struggles of Billy Krotch have been well documented, and don't need to be rehashed here. Cotts has struggled of late, and Pollite has been far from stellar.

So the question is, who's out there for the Sox to aquire, and is adding an extra reliever on the radar?

lowesox
06-16-2004, 12:28 AM
While another starter is obviously the most pressing need, it is becoming more and more apparent that the Sox bullpen is in need of another quality arm. The ancient Mike Jackson is running on fumes and sports a 5.25 ERA. The struggles of Billy Krotch have been well documented, and don't need to be rehashed here. Cotts has struggled of late, and Pollite has been far from stellar.

So the question is, who's out there for the Sox to aquire, and is adding an extra reliever on the radar?
I don't think it'll be too hard for the sox to pick up a veteran middle reliever for next to nothing - a Scott Sullivan-type pick up. There are usually a million of these near or even after the July 31 deadline.

In the meantime, I think we're in decent shape with Politte and Jackson. Both are capable of being dominant, since we're paying their salaries anyways we might as well see if either of them can turn it around. I know Jackson looked really good to start the season, and Politte was pitching very well in spring training.

CWSGuy406
06-16-2004, 12:47 AM
I think the whole Royal bullpen is up for sale, and I think Urbina will eventually be on the block too, if he already isn't.

OEO Magglio
06-16-2004, 12:51 AM
That's second on my list behind a starting pitcher. It seems like cotts has lost his confidence after his start, hopefully he'll figure it out. The sox need one more guy behind damaso and shingo. Right as I'm typing this I saw the royals released Leskanic, he's really struggled this year but I know they tried making him the closer for some time and that might have messed him up a bit. I for one would like to take a chance on Leskanic he's got a great arm and was pretty darn good last year.

34 Inch Stick
06-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Scott Sullivan himself can probably be had for nothing, right now, if the Sox are willing to pick up his salary. Leskanic or Grimsley are available as well, out KC.

Urbina was signed for the purpose of trading in June/July.

iwannago
06-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Scott Sullivan himself can probably be had for nothing, right now, if the Sox are willing to pick up his salary. Leskanic or Grimsley are available as well, out KC.

Urbina was signed for the purpose of trading in June/July.

Before I would go after Sullivan I would relook at our minor league pitchers.