PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Ginter Is Making Mets His Old Kentucky Home

DrCrawdad
06-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Article on Ginter in the New York Times. (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/15/sports/baseball/15mets.html)

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/06/15/sports/15mets.jpg
Matt Ginter, a native of rural Kentucky, has given the Mets solid pitching on the field, and musical entertainment off it.

Ginter Is Making Mets His Old Kentucky Home
By LEE JENKINS

Published: June 15, 2004

Matt Ginter strums a banjo on the Mets' team plane, watches hunting DVD's in the clubhouse and prepares for a start by thumbing through catalogs advertising the latest in Buck knives.

In Kansas City last weekend, he took the Mets' strength coaches to the rodeo one night. The next morning, he took a fellow pitcher to a hunting and fishing warehouse. Now that the Mets have returned to New York, Ginter excitedly awaits the arrival of his bow and arrows, which he spends much of the off-season shooting on his farm in Winchester, Ky., a town of about 16,000 located in the hills near Lexington.

DrCrawdad
06-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Speaking of Timo Perez for Matt Ginter.

In recent months, General Manager Jim Duquette has made a handful of low-profile moves that yielded high-end results; Ginter could be the most lopsided acquisition of all.

wilburaga
06-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Over five seasons, Ginter has pitched 140 innings without suffering a major league loss. There, that should jinx him for his next outing.

W

bobj4400
06-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Can you say Josh Fogg? They are one and the same. Neither has the stuff to pitch in the AL, and after the NL sees him once or twice, the NYT will be booting him out of town. Have fun while it lasts NY.

DrCrawdad
06-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Can you say Josh Fogg? They are one and the same. Neither has the stuff to pitch in the AL, and after the NL sees him once or twice, the NYT will be booting him out of town. Have fun while it lasts NY.

Ah...but can Josh Fogg play the banjo?

hose
06-15-2004, 11:19 PM
I tend to agree with you about Fogg and Ginter not having the stuff to pitch in the American League.

The NL can give a young pitcher more confidence with outs a little easier to come by. Once a young pitcher gains his confidence then he might have a chance to excell.

DrCrawdad
06-15-2004, 11:28 PM
I tend to agree with you about Fogg and Ginter not having the stuff to pitch in the American League.

The NL can give a young pitcher more confidence with outs a little easier to come by. Once a young pitcher gains his confidence then he might have a chance to excell.

Ginter wasn't given much of a chance with the Sox. For whatever reason the Sox didn't have much confidence in Ginter and relegated him to the bullpen. Who'll forget the great job Ginter did in 2002 holding down the Cubbies after Wright gave up the boatloads of runs early in the game.

I'm not saying Ginter was Cy Young. But Ginter could have been a viable candidate for the fifth starter. Ginter also did a good job against the Twins just recently for the Mets (in the Twinkie Doom), for those who say he wouldn't have fared well in the AL.

In the end, the deal is done and who's unhappy with Timo tonight? Not I.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Ginter wasn't given much of a chance with the Sox. For whatever reason the Sox didn't have much confidence in Ginter and relegated him to the bullpen. Who'll forget the great job Ginter did in 2002 holding down the Cubbies after Wright gave up the boatloads of runs early in the game.

I'm not saying Ginter was Cy Young. But Ginter could have been a viable candidate for the fifth starter. Ginter also did a good job against the Twins just recently for the Mets (in the Twinkie Doom), for those who say he wouldn't have fared well in the AL.

i agree. ginter was hardly ever given a chance to pitch on the big league club, while players like danny wright were given countless chances. regardless, i'll take timo tonight over ginter.

iwannago
06-16-2004, 03:49 PM

Isn't that the point? Ginter maybe be a pitcher in the NL only. IMO Fogg may have made it in the AL.

wilburaga
06-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Over five seasons, Ginter has pitched 140 innings without suffering a major league loss. There, that should jinx him for his next outing.

W6/16/2004 Cleveland 9 NY Mets 1 WP Sabathia (4-3) LP Ginter (1-1)

Mission Accomplished.

W

bobj4400
06-17-2004, 10:03 AM
6/16/2004 Cleveland 9 NY Mets 1 WP Sabathia (4-3) LP Ginter (1-1)

Mission Accomplished.

W
See what happens when the great Matt Ginter faces AL lineups. Point proven. I am done patting myself on the back now.

Baby Fisk
06-17-2004, 10:10 AM
[minor thread deviation]

What's with Sabathia's inability to wear a uniform properly? He looked like a rodeo clown out there. Coco Crisp getting into it too. If you can't respect your own uniform, what does that say about you?

[/minor thread deviation]

DSpivack
06-17-2004, 10:22 AM
[minor thread deviation]

What's with Sabathia's inability to wear a uniform properly? He looked like a rodeo clown out there. Coco Crisp getting into it too. If you can't respect your own uniform, what does that say about you?

[/minor thread deviation]
Is it due to to his inability to wear a uniform properly or does it just not fit him because he is so darn fat?