PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Pulls Sox From Sunday Night BB on July 11th

sas1974
06-15-2004, 12:11 PM
I don't have any more details than what is below, but this seems odd. I wonder if it has more to do w/ how Seattle is playing?

I just received this from my ticket rep:

Dear Season Ticket Holders:

Our game featuring the White Sox vs. Seattle Mariners on Sunday, July 11th will
NOT be picked up by ESPN. Therefore, game time is scheduled for 2:05pm. Please
make a note of it!

Go SOX!

HomerCoach
06-15-2004, 12:15 PM
BS!!! ONE LESS GAME I GET TO SEE!!! :angry::mad::angry::mad::angry::mad:

JB98
06-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Good. The Sox always lose when they are on national TV. Keep Fox and ESPN away from the Cell at all costs.

HomerCoach
06-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Good. The Sox always lose when they are on national TV. Keep Fox and ESPN away from the Cell at all costs.
That's not very nice!

JRIG
06-15-2004, 12:21 PM
It's actually quite possible ESPN had an option on this game and just decided on a different one to broadcast. This game was not scheduled to be a 7:05 ESPN game (as far as I know). It was just a possibilty it would be.

MetalliSox
06-15-2004, 12:21 PM
I think it is because the July 4th game vs. Cubs has been moved to 7pm to be shown on ESPN. Don't want the same team two weeks in a row.

Lip Man 1
06-15-2004, 12:24 PM
This is all very unscientific but I have always got the impression since after the 97 season that ESPN wanted no part of doing games at Comiskey Park.

The number of appearances has dropped off dramatically (even in 00 when the Sox had a pretty good team... in regards to Sunday Night Baseball). Last year ESPN showed a number of Sox games but the overwhelming majority of them were day games.

I still recall last May when ESPN got stuck doing that rain shortened brutal game where Seattle hammered the Sox on a Sunday night. ESPN announcers particularly Joe Morgan looked pained to even be in the park.

This year ESPN has shown the Sox four times, all road games. The Sox are 2-2. Fox has shown two games, one home and the Sox are 0-2.

In this case I'm sure part of the problem is that Seattle has fallen apart. Perhaps ESPN may pick up a home night game with Anaheim, Minnesota, Boston or Oakland.

Lip

compy75
06-15-2004, 12:26 PM
As bad as Seattle has been, I'd have to agree with the consensus that putting them in prime time is a poor move. However, it probably doesn't hurt that the Sox are on the week before. Though it never stopped Boston..

Kogs35
06-15-2004, 12:28 PM
the reason the sox-mariners game got pulled was for the Cubs @ St. Louis game. the sox-indians game this monday is on espn

Hokiesox
06-15-2004, 12:33 PM
I think it is because the July 4th game vs. Cubs has been moved to 7pm to be shown on ESPN. Don't want the same team two weeks in a row.
IF that logic were true, we wouldn't have to see Boston/yankees/Cubs for another 6 years.:mad:

rmusacch
06-15-2004, 12:57 PM
That is BS too. They show teams two weeks in a row all the time.

OEO Magglio
06-15-2004, 01:01 PM
I think it is because the July 4th game vs. Cubs has been moved to 7pm to be shown on ESPN. Don't want the same team two weeks in a row.Thats not true, the dodgers played the redsox last sunday and are playing the yankees this upcoming sunday. Now if you said they don't want the White Sox on two weeks in a row well that could be a different story.

CHISOXFAN13
06-15-2004, 01:08 PM
ESPN already showed the Sox and Mariners on a Sunday night, so why in God's name would they do it again a month later?

I don't understand the frustration here.

Hokiesox
06-15-2004, 01:15 PM
ESPN already showed the Sox and Mariners on a Sunday night, so why in God's name would they do it again a month later?

Because we're white sox fans with an inferiority complex. The media always gives us the shaft.

jackbrohamer
06-15-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm still in a state of schck over the last Sox/Mariners/ESPN game where Koch imploded, so it's fine with me

BlackSox
06-15-2004, 01:58 PM
If it's any consolation, ESPN picked up Monday's game against Cleveland... a home game to boot.

Whitesox029
06-15-2004, 05:58 PM
I don't have any more details than what is below, but this seems odd. I wonder if it has more to do w/ how Seattle is playing?

A combination of that, and the fact that they've already shown a Sox-Mariners game on ESPN.....this is good news.....we all know what happens when the sox are on Nat'l TV

nasox
06-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Because we're white sox fans with an inferiority complex. The media always gives us the shaft.
HEHE! He said SHAFT!:redneck

rwcescato
06-15-2004, 10:54 PM

The frustration here is that they refuse to show the Sox at home. They had to last year because we had the all-star game. Why aren't they showing the Sox and cubs on sunday at comiskey instead of the Sox at cubs in july.
its the same city but its the field.
Rich

sas1974
06-15-2004, 11:03 PM
No offense, but I don't want to hear any more of this "you know how we do on national tv" business. They don't televise the playoffs and the world series on WCIU. We better start learning how to win on a national stage.

kcsportscaster
06-16-2004, 12:41 AM
First off, the excuse of not having the Sox on Sunday Night Baseball two weeks in a row is pure junk because the four letter network from time to time will televise the same team two weeks in a row. Ex.: Dodgers at Red Sox last Sunday night, and Dodgers vs. Yankees this Sunday night. I agree with your assumptions that the four letter network just doesn't want to showcase Comiskey to a national audience, even with the renovations. Also, what in the hell is wrong with them NOT also televising the Sox hosting the Flubbies on Sunday, June 27th even though it WILL be televised by WGN as well as the Friday game of that series at 3 p.m., which means I will be able to watch two out of three games of that series. I know the four letter network will televise the Sunday night game on July 4th at the other park, but it would be great if they would showcase Sox/Flubbies games at both parks.

I also have this beef with the four letter network: What in the hell is wrong with them NOT televising this Wednesday night's game with the Marlins???? That is one of the true marquee matchups of the week with TWO first place teams squaring off. Why do they have to force feed the Flubbies against the Astros for the second time this week on Wednesday night???? What, Monday night's game wasn't good enough???? Is it me, or is the four letter network becoming "WGN East" because they have televised the Flubbies as many times as WGN has this season thus far. They have only televised the Sox I think three times thus far!!!!

Back to the Sox/Flubbies series July 2, 3, and 4: Fox will televise the Saturday game on the 3rd, however, our local market, Mobile, AL/Pensacola, FL, will likely be force fed Mutts/Yankees for the umpteenth year in a row because the F Network also thinks the Yankees and Mutts are the only two teams that exists, that the entire eastern half of the country simply cannot go on without having a Mutts/Yankees game televised!!!! Here is where all of you can help a fellow Sox fan out: Go to this site here:

http://www.fox10tv.com/

Then, as soon as it uploads, go to the top right hand corner of the page and click on "contact," and it should lead to e-mail addresses of the proper contact person/people. Tell them, as I will in a day or two, that we here in Mobile/Pensacola do NOT want to have to endure Mutts/Yankees, that we want some Sox/Flubbies exposure instead. Keep in mind that the buffoons who run this station, WALA Fox 10, while airing the Braves when they are on the Fox Noon game, will NOT air them when they are on the 3 p.m. game for some insane reason, but they force feed us their dearly beloved New Orleans Ain'ts EVERY FREAKIN' WEEK during the NFL regular season, no matter how bad they suck, whether they are on the Noon game, the 3:15 doubleheader game, or in one case last season, the 3:05 non-doubleheader game!!!! PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!

Later on,

Ken