PDA

View Full Version : Slezak on 'Sox Pride' Ad

delben91
06-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Hangar mentioned it in his media watch for today, so here's the article. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol15.html)

I particularly noticed this in the piece...

The Sox commercial will run through the Cubs-Sox series at the Cell. Then the "Sox Pride'' campaign will move on to a new phase.

Can't wait to see what the next commercial is! Imagine that, excitement over a Sox marketing campaign. Way to go Brooks!

:bandance:

Rocky Soprano
06-15-2004, 08:34 AM
I read this article on the train and when I read this I busted out laughing:

They: Need a closer.
We: Will give them Billy Koch.

:D:

fledgedrallycap
06-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Pretty good article. Nice to see the ad getting some love. I really haven't heard much backlash from Cubdom regarding the commercial; the one's who have basically take a shot at the attendance...original

Cubbiesuck13
06-15-2004, 08:48 AM
you now it stings the flubs when their guy says things like 'We're flattered that once again we would be the centerpiece of another Sox advertising campaign'

http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol15.html

jackbrohamer
06-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Cubune has almost the identical article. Greenstein's article adds this: "Neither McDonough nor Boyer could recall an ad in which a city's seemingly less popular team (say, the Clippers or Mets) had targeted its intracity competition."

Of course, the Mets and Clippers are ALWAYS WORSE TEAMS than their intra-city rivals; only in the Cubune would the Cubs be compared implicitly to the Yankees and Lakers.

Cubbiesuck13
06-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Cubune has almost the identical article. Greenstein's article adds this: "Neither McDonough nor Boyer could recall an ad in which a city's seemingly less popular team (say, the Clippers or Mets) had targeted its intracity competition."

Of course, the Mets and Clippers are ALWAYS WORSE TEAMS than their intra-city rivals; only in the Cubune would the Cubs be compared implicitly to the Yankees and Lakers.
I have noticed that almost everyday the 3 topics for both papers are the same in respect to the sox articles. Most of the time they are written identically. It is like reading an AP blurb. I guess there isn't much to report on the sox. Good, solid team all around. A few holes here and there. The biggest name in FA market next off season. New Manager who also was a fan favorite as a player. same old same old.

woodenleg
06-15-2004, 10:04 AM
you now it stings the flubs when their guy says things like 'We're flattered that once again we would be the centerpiece of another Sox advertising campaign'

Of course he's not above taking an indirect shot at the White Sox FANS by calling the Cub fans 'unconditional'. Make no mistake about it - that is a criticism of us, and it's also a misrepresentation of what is going on at Wrigley. Ooooo, big man - has to use his position to attack the character of an entire fan base.

Yes, those 40,000+ fans were always there.

And hey, if you swallow any amount of corporate b.s., you're morally superior to people who refuse to be suckers!

It's really ironic how this team that is owned media company has to resort to lying.

ewokpelts
06-15-2004, 10:14 AM

But thier guy has the easiest job in baseball...marketing the cubs.....McDonough is realted to my girlfriend's family(sox fans..btw), and I was told he's rejected mega-offers from other teams(like the mets) to stay with the cubs.
Gene

jabrch
06-15-2004, 10:16 AM
But thier guy has the easiest job in baseball...marketing the cubs.....McDonough is realted to my girlfriend's family(sox fans..btw), and I was told he's rejected mega-offers from other teams(like the mets) to stay with the cubs.
Gene
Why give up one of the easiest jobs in the planet for one of the hardest?

Cubbiesuck13
06-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Of course he's not above taking an indirect shot at the White Sox FANS by calling the Cub fans 'unconditional'. Make no mistake about it - that is a criticism of us, and it's also a misrepresentation of what is going on at Wrigley. Ooooo, big man - has to use his position to attack the character of an entire fan base.

And hey, if you swallow any amount of corporate b.s., you're morally superior to people who refuse to be suckers!

It's really ironic how this team that is owned media company has to resort to lying.
it makes complete sense for a team's fans not to show up when they do poorly. That doesn't mean they are not there. I really think that Boston fans are a good group of people. They let the team know when they have had enough and when they are doing well. It is times like now that sox fans need to show up. I have never been a mainstream kinda guy, I never liked MTV or the flavor of the week. The cubs are the flavor of the week and I have never wanted anypart of them. I really feel bad for the people who just take what they are given without asking questions. They are missing out.

Cellview22
06-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Good post, Cubbiesuck13. Too many people just take what they are given by the media, it's sad. "The Cubs seem to be the more popular team, why would I wanna follow the Sox"...I know a lot of people that think this way :(: .

I think now with Ozzie in charge, and Brooks in the marketing driver's seat, we'll see huge crowds at the Cell throughout the summer, and people will realize that the Sox do have a heck of a lot of fans, and we're much more passionate about our team. I'm confident with Brooks' aggressive approch. And he's a lot more people friendly than what we've had in recent years. I've heard that he's recieved a huge stack of letters from fans, and surprisingly he made the extra time to send a hand written letter back to me, which I just got yesterday. On the front of the card was the Sox logo; to me it's a keep-sake. It made my day!

pudge
06-15-2004, 12:33 PM
I'm so sorry I just let myself read another Slezak column, haven't done that in years... she has to have the most worthless column in the history of the world. I'll read Mariotti a hundred times over her, because at least he can write with some flair.

TornLabrum
06-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Sorry, Cubs fans, you won't be able to drown out the moment with boos. Aside from a brief introduction, there's no talking in the commercial. (Just read the screen, folks.)
Ms. Slezak is making a critical assumption here...she is assuming Cubs fans can actually read! :tongue:

SOXSINCE'70
06-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Ms. Slezak is making a critical assumption here...she is assuming Cubs fans can actually read! :tongue:
I also thought they just looked at the pictures.:D: :D: :D:

fledgedrallycap
06-15-2004, 03:36 PM
MJ&H (one full week after it's debut) are now ripping into the ad, stating it's petty, juvenille, and marketing to the White Trash of our city.

Leave it to the media to take a simple commercial poking fun at our Northside neighbors and turning it into a PR blunder.

Brooks, ignore those boobs and keep up the good work. This ad wasn't intented to start fights, it was intended to strike up a laugh.

Brian26
06-15-2004, 06:58 PM
We all know the stands were generally empty before 1984, but there were even years in the late 80's (between '84 and '89) when the stands were deserted.

LuvSox
06-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Once again Slezak writes an article without doing research first. That billboard was put up by WMVP, not the Sox organization. If you didn't know that, it's blatant just by looking at the picture and the advertising for Kevin Matthews.

jfo go go sox
06-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Let's face it. First its MacJurkoandHarrierer saying its childlike. This coming from the three biggest children in all of sports radio who fight with each other, make fun of each other and sometimes go through an entire show with maybe on collective good thought on the day. Entertaining, yes -- speaking for Sox fans on this commerical -- NO!

The fact is that everyone, Sox fan and Cub fan I have talked to -- laughed at the thing from their own perspective.

Now
:moron :moron :moron says the same thing in today's "not selling as much as we said" Sun-Times.

Do these people know a good hearted joke when they hear one, or is this the continuing reflection of putting the Sox down even when they have a positive guy taking over for marketing. Rob Gallas, what have you done for me lately????

As the SOX Pride venture continues, lets wait for the body of work before we make miscalculated ASS-uptions as the above formention moron before we become too critical. Loser!

hsnterprize
06-16-2004, 08:11 AM
MJ&H (one full week after it's debut) are now ripping into the ad, stating it's petty, juvenille, and marketing to the White Trash of our city.

Leave it to the media to take a simple commercial poking fun at our Northside neighbors and turning it into a PR blunder.

Brooks, ignore those boobs and keep up the good work. This ad wasn't intented to start fights, it was intended to strike up a laugh.Did ANYONE even mention that world-famous "Northsiders vs. Southsiders" animation some Cub fan put out about a month ago? "Them vs. Us" was our reply to that in my opinion. Richard Roeper wrote a column about the animation, and told Sox fans the guy who made it was inspired to make that because he got poked fun at by a Sox fan after the choke against the Marlins last fall. Roeper made the effort to tell angry Sox fans the guy was "kidding". Now...I haven't seen or heard anything from Roeper about this ad campaign, but it seems like a lot of Cubs fans aren't laughing at this...and that's exactly how I like it. Touche' flubbie scum!!!!!

gosox41
06-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Gene

I guess McDounough is happy here.

Here's hoping there's a Sox player that will feel the same way in a few months and still more then provide financially for his family.

Bob