PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 6.15.04

Hangar18
06-15-2004, 07:30 AM
Murph is a jack-ass. Hes "congratulating" other teams fans for "booing"
thier CF because now hes hitting. jack-ass. Also takes the time to point
out this is some anniversary that Brock was traded. Tries to compare CF
to Lou Brock. Since the 6am hour, theyve only given the 1st Place SOX 15minutes of talk. the rest you can guess. Be glad your not listening.

Cubune:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories
Cub-Times:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training ........
well-hyped CUBS 936
1st Place SOX 631

Hangar18
06-15-2004, 07:39 AM
Also loved the fact that all thru the 6am hour....Murph told SOX fans
to hang on...theyd be talking SOX shortly. They never did. They talked
about Slezaks article on the SOX new marketing Us/Them campaign for
all of 30 seconds.....

GoSox2K3
06-15-2004, 08:11 AM
There's an article in the Trib today about the new Sox commercial. The article says:

"Boyer is spearheading a plan in which the Sox will call every season ticket-holder by mid-August to say thanks and ask if the team can do anything to improve their experience.

That would mean about 4,000 calls."

Is that number right? I thought season ticket holders bottomed out at about 8,000 a few years ago.

fledgedrallycap
06-15-2004, 09:13 AM
There's an article in the Trib today about the new Sox commercial. The article says:

"Boyer is spearheading a plan in which the Sox will call every season ticket-holder by mid-August to say thanks and ask if the team can do anything to improve their experience.

That would mean about 4,000 calls."

Is that number right? I thought season ticket holders bottomed out at about 8,000 a few years ago.
Each season ticket holder probably averages two seats, therefore only 4,000 calls are needed.

kittle42
06-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Why does no one call Murph, pretend to want to talk about the Cubs, and then call him and his toady out regarding their slanted program?

Hangar18
06-15-2004, 09:27 AM
I stopped listening after 7am sometime...and Just now Quickly Tuned in.......
at 9:15. Still talking cub over there, still playing soundbites from the game....
Still talking about the pitching and the Messiahs strikeouts ...........
hugely slanted is an understatement

Hangar18
06-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Now talking to Tennessee writer about diamondjaxx. wants to talk about
other teams minorleague players. I just tried to call the station to complain,
and they said they talk "plenty of sox, we need to talk about the northside team too" After I told him by my stats.......Theyve only talked 20 minutes
of SOX since 6am, and the other 3 Hours have been Flub Related.....
total disservice ...... BUT THEY HUNG UP ON ME mid-sentence

kittle42
06-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Now talking to Tennessee writer about diamondjaxx. wants to talk about
other teams minorleague players. I just tried to call the station to complain,
and they said they talk "plenty of sox, we need to talk about the northside team too" After I told him by my stats.......Theyve only talked 20 minutes
of SOX since 6am, and the other 3 Hours have been Flub Related.....
total disservice ...... BUT THEY HUNG UP ON ME mid-sentence
Don't call the station to complain - get on the air.

rahulsekhar
06-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Murph is a jack-ass.
And in other news, scientists at MIT have finally confirmed that water is indeed wet!

beckett21
06-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Why does no one call Murph, pretend to want to talk about the Cubs, and then call him and his toady out regarding their slanted program?
It's gonna have to be someone besides Hangar, because I'm sure they recognize him on the caller ID. :D:

CapeFish
06-15-2004, 12:04 PM
What radio station is this? I hope it isn't Sox flagship WMVP-AM 1000. :angry:

Marlins fans have a fit with WQAM (Marlins flagship) when they bash the Marlins (who have only won 2 championships in 11 years) and WQAM just turns into Dolphins Radio. Makes you want to hurt your radio. Hank Goldberg is the worst offender. He is always getting on McKeon for something that makes no sense. "Jack should of used the closer in the 7th and 8th last night." What the hell? He is a closer....8th and 9th, but not 7th. Then when someone calls him to confront him (almost daily) he yells at them and hangs up on them on the air.

Then the fat *** (that's his marketing description) Neil Rogers starts bashing the Marlins because they cut his show short due to the day game and Marlins On Deck.

I don't get how people can call WQAM excellent. It was excellent back when it was Marlins and Panthers, with music, and Rush during the midday. At least the programming didn't drop your IQ.

BTW, our second major newspaper (Sun-Sentinel) is owned by the Tribune and we have started to get really tired of Mike Berardino who apparently wants a job in ChiTown because the guy hates on the Marlins in print and on the radio with Goldberg (at 5PM, right before you start driving to the game) and even had us trading Castillo and Lowell to the Cubs last season because we couldn't "afford" them.

So even though we are the only baseball team in the market, we play second fiddle to the Dolphins (who always choke even if I am a DolFan, I know it and blame management, coaching, and the players) and when we do well, we get beat on by the papers on WQAM. Thankfully WRFX-940 and WFFL-1400 (weaker sports stations in the market) like the Marlins and air programming to counter WQAM's hate, but they don't have the play-by-play yet. Maybe soon, until then, I get my Marlins news on the radio from Newsradio 610 WIOD.

Kogs35
06-15-2004, 12:11 PM
It's gonna have to be someone besides Hangar, because I'm sure they recognize him on the caller ID. :D:
theres always *67 :D:

beckett21
06-15-2004, 12:16 PM
What radio station is this? I hope it isn't Sox flagship WMVP-AM 1000. :angry:

Marlins fans have a fit with WQAM (Marlins flagship) when they bash the Marlins (who have only won 2 championships in 11 years) and WQAM just turns into Dolphins Radio. Makes you want to hurt your radio. Hank Goldberg is the worst offender. He is always getting on McKeon for something that makes no sense. "Jack should of used the closer in the 7th and 8th last night." What the hell? He is a closer....8th and 9th, but not 7th. Then when someone calls him to confront him (almost daily) he yells at them and hangs up on them on the air.

Then the fat *** (that's his marketing description) Neil Rogers starts bashing the Marlins because they cut his show short due to the day game and Marlins On Deck.

I don't get how people can call WQAM excellent. It was excellent back when it was Marlins and Panthers, with music, and Rush during the midday. At least the programming didn't drop your IQ.

BTW, our second major newspaper (Sun-Sentinel) is owned by the Tribune and we have started to get really tired of Mike Berardino who apparently wants a job in ChiTown because the guy hates on the Marlins in print and on the radio with Goldberg (at 5PM, right before you start driving to the game) and even had us trading Castillo and Lowell to the Cubs last season because we couldn't "afford" them.

So even though we are the only baseball team in the market, we play second fiddle to the Dolphins (who always choke even if I am a DolFan, I know it and blame management, coaching, and the players) and when we do well, we get beat on by the papers on WQAM. Thankfully WRFX-940 and WFFL-1400 (weaker sports stations in the market) like the Marlins and air programming to counter WQAM's hate, but they don't have the play-by-play yet. Maybe soon, until then, I get my Marlins news on the radio from Newsradio 610 WIOD.
The station in question here is the SCORE-670 am. However MVP-1000 has started to put on a lot of pro-Cub programming this year which is insulting in itself.

I lived in Miami for about 3 years (96-99) and was there when they won their first WS. Essentially the Marlins were a non-entity except for when they actually won the series. Once Huizenga razed the franchise, they were done. Apparently they still haven't fully recovered despite a second title.

As far as the print media in this town, they are much worse. I at least could stomach the Herald. The bias in Chicago is grotesque.

CapeFish
06-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Nobody reads the Herald anymore. Some in Broward and Palm Beach get the Sentinel, but they are as useful as toilet paper. The Tribune also owns the Orlando Sentinel, and they also get spewed the anti-Marlins propaganda from Bumardino.

Thankfully, the Palm Beach Post is somewhat positive, and the other newspapers pick up the wire reports, standings, and box scores and promenently highlight the Marlins and Devil Rays and their progress.

Also we thank Fox Sports Net Florida for coming in and picking up the games when Sunshine Network wouldn't. We also thank PAX for picking up game when CBS4/UPN33 wouldn't.

The Marlins can beat any network program in primetime on PAX with a weaker signal and inconsistent timeslot. That is how well followed they air. We beat the Dolphins with that Saturday playoff game against the Giants by almost 15,000 households in the ratings.

beckett21
06-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Nobody reads the Herald anymore. Some in Broward and Palm Beach get the Sentinel, but they are as useful as toilet paper. The Tribune also owns the Orlando Sentinel, and they also get spewed the anti-Marlins propaganda from Bumardino.

Thankfully, the Palm Beach Post is somewhat positive, and the other newspapers pick up the wire reports, standings, and box scores and promenently highlight the Marlins and Devil Rays and their progress.

Also we thank Fox Sports Net Florida for coming in and picking up the games when Sunshine Network wouldn't. We also thank PAX for picking up game when CBS4/UPN33 wouldn't.

The Marlins can beat any network program in primetime on PAX with a weaker signal and inconsistent timeslot. That is how well followed they air. We beat the Dolphins with that Saturday playoff game against the Giants by almost 15,000 households in the ratings.
Great to hear the Marlins have a nice following down there. It was sketchy at best when I lived there. I still have family down there, and they are huge Marlin fans, have been from day 1. I never listened to sports radio in Miami so I have no frame of reference there, but I will say Goldberg needs to just stick to horseracing because he is otherwise useless IMO.

I'm surprised no one reads the Herald anymore. I always thought it was a good paper, plus you got EL NUEVO HERALD as a bonus! :bandance:

LeBatard is better than anyone we get in Chicago IMO.

Jerry_Manuel
06-15-2004, 08:53 PM
I listen every morning, Hangar.

Murph was also asking callers if the Astros should get rid of the hill in CF, like they had a say in the matter. He even presented almost as fact how the idea of the hill began way back in the day as a way to tell fielders they we're approaching the wall.

Fred only mentioned the Sox when talking about Munoz, and the debate of who should play 1st.

It's tough to listen to, I agree.

Cubbiesuck13
06-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Business is a fairly simple concept. "Go with what sells." ESPN is the all Yankees, Red Sox, and Barry Bonds channel because that's what sells most in baseball. In the Chicago baseball market, I'm sure that White Sox fans are aware of the fact that you're vastly outnumbered. Economics centers around meeting consumer demand, so as long as the Cubs following is stronger than the White Sox (always), it's only logical to expect this current "unjust" trend to continue.

Regards,

CMP
do you know that the difference between a jounalist and a marketing director is?

with the cubs, there is none because of the cubune. i am not suprised by this but i am suprised by papers like the suntimes to not be fair and balanced.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-26-2004, 01:50 PM
do you know that the difference between a jounalist and a marketing director is?

with the cubs, there is none because of the cubune. i am not suprised by this but i am suprised by papers like the suntimes to not be fair and balanced.
Sports isn't journalism, its entertainment. If they reported the news that way, it would be a problem.

On the flipside, if the entertainment writers were forced to cover Irish Dancing, just because it existed, but no one cared, it would be a ridiculous business plan.

In sports, they don't cover the AFL heavily, or the Indoor Soccer League, because no one cares. Newspapers are about one thing, selling ads.

Cubbiesuck13
06-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Sports isn't journalism, its entertainment. If they reported the news that way, it would be a problem.

On the flipside, if the entertainment writers were forced to cover Irish Dancing, just because it existed, but no one cared, it would be a ridiculous business plan.

In sports, they don't cover the AFL heavily, or the Indoor Soccer League, because no one cares. Newspapers are about one thing, selling ads.
and reporting on the cour dates of pepole accused of assault more than a murder is sports? right...

and sports journalists are supposed to be journalists too. the entertainment factor is true in regaurds to t.v. and radio sports talk shows. not newspapers.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-26-2004, 02:05 PM
and reporting on the cour dates of pepole accused of assault more than a murder is sports? right...

and sports journalists are supposed to be journalists too. the entertainment factor is true in regaurds to t.v. and radio sports talk shows. not newspapers.
Okay, you keep thinking that about sports. It's just plain not true. Ask anyone in the newspaper biz and they will tell you so. While it's certainly more popular, sports are no different than Concert reviews and other entertainment, journalistically.