PDA

View Full Version : Really Interesting Article

chisox1388
06-15-2004, 12:06 AM
As I was doing a yahoo search for chris young (OF prospect), I came across this old article from 2000 about the sox. Check it out:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/bp/789556.html

SOXintheBURGH
06-15-2004, 12:22 AM
As I was doing a yahoo search for chris young (OF prospect), I came across this old article from 2000 about the sox. Check it out:

"Along with rookies like Garland, Kip Wells and Mark Buerhle, all 22 or younger, they have Minor League Player of the Year and Olympic gold medalist Jon Rauch to head an impressive list of potential future aces."

Cool article to read. Thanks.

batmanZoSo
06-15-2004, 12:24 AM

It sure looked like the makings of at least an Indians-type dynasty. They were young and dominating with the #1 farm system in baseball at the time I believe. Hawk said that year that he expected multiple World Series from that group in the future. It hasn't happened. Wait a minute, we have yet to even return to the playoffs. White Sox baseball--gotta love it!

It was funny to read that guy citing the ages of that pitching staff. Sirotka was only 29 at the time...who knew the playoff loss would be his last game? Parque was just 24. He's done. Baldwin? He is SO done.

I find it remarkable that the only mainstay of the 2000 pitching staff still having ANY success is Cal Eldred. That's just unbelievable. Kip Wells doesn't really count because he was the 5th starter at times, bullpen at times..I believe he was sent down for a while too. I don't think he was even on the playoff roster.

In 2000 I thought for sure that we'd have a World Series by the Comiskey All star game. Who knew not only wouldn't we have one, but there would be no more Comiskey?

gosox3072
06-15-2004, 12:41 AM
I find it remarkable that the only mainstay of the 2000 pitching staff still having ANY success is Cal Eldred. -
Mark Burhrle was on that pitching staff, id say he is quite successful these days!

elrod
06-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Biggest signing of the 2000-2001 offseason was David Wells - talk about getting older. Who could have seen the injuries piling up so early, though? 2001 was just a lost cause (like the 1971 Reds). But why not 2002 or 2003? That's what bothers me. The Todd Ritchie trade hurt, for sure. But it was the falloff in hitting that killed us. My sense is that as Frank Thomas goes, so go the White Sox. Thomas had a monster year in 2000. He finally recovered in 2003 and had a good year - thus the Sox competed all year. But he was gone for 2001 and was still recovering in 2002. And now he's one of the top hitters in the AL again. He really is the franchise. Take a look at his numbers over the years. His best OPS was 1994 - 1.217. His OPS in 1995-97 were very good too, but the pitching was awful. After falling to the .800s in 1998-99 he returned to 1.061 in 2000. This year he leads the AL at 1.094. And as long as the pitching doesn't collapse (which it really hasn't for the last four years) then the rest of the lineup should be dependable. Frank anchors the lineup and with the triceps injury completely gone he is back to his old ways (not the BA, though). Note especially that his BB/K ratio is back to where it was too. And one of my favorite stats this year is runs created per 27 outs (imagining a team of 9 Frank Thomases). He is best in the league there.

batmanZoSo
06-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Mark Burhrle was on that pitching staff, id say he is quite successful these days!
Obviously I meant starting rotation. Buehrle started a few games, relieved mostly. Garland even pitched that year and sucked royally as he did every year up until the current one.

HomeFish
06-15-2004, 01:24 AM
Obviously I meant starting rotation. Buehrle started a few games, relieved mostly. Garland even pitched that year and sucked royally as he did every year up until the current one.

I was at Garland's first two Comiskey Park starts. I believe he gave up "back-to-back" grand slams in one of them.