PDA

View Full Version : Rules for a save?

Irishsox1
06-14-2004, 10:45 PM
The Flubbies beat the Astros 7 to 2 and Jimmy Anderson got the save. I was always under the impression that a save was a 3 run lead. Please explain...

duke of dorwood
06-14-2004, 10:50 PM
3 innings with the lead to finish a game size of lead is incidental, or have the tying run in the on deck circle, beyond the usual lead of 3 runs or less and finishing a game

beckett21
06-14-2004, 10:56 PM
I thought the rule was 3 innings or the tying run in the hole--i.e. the batter up after the guy on deck. That is why they also get a save starting the 9th inning with a 3-run lead.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is the current rule.

Also, the official scorer has final discretion. They can choose not to give a save if the pitcher is in their opinion ineffective. Rare that that would happen, but in a 3-inning scenario it is possible.

MRKARNO
06-14-2004, 11:08 PM
The three ways to get a save are as follows:

A. Enter the game with a one, two or three run lead and the pitcher records the last out in a win

B. Three or more innings of effective relief and the pitcher records the last out in a win(official scorer's discretion as to what is or is not effective, but it's almost always awarded)

C. Enter the game with the tying run on deck (not in the hole) and record the last out in a win.

beckett21
06-14-2004, 11:21 PM

A. Enter the game with a one, two or three run lead and the pitcher records the last out in a win

B. Three or more innings of effective relief and the pitcher records the last out in a win(official scorer's discretion as to what is or is not effective, but it's almost always awarded)

C. Enter the game with the tying run on deck (not in the hole) and record the last out in a win.
I stand corrected.

I don't know where I got that *in the hole* stuff, but for some strange reason I always thought that was the rule.

Still, then, I don't understand why they award a save entering a game with a 3-run lead if the rule is not in the hole, like starting the 9th inning for example. There is no one on base, and the tying run is technically in the hole. But I guess a rule is whatever they choose to make it, doesn't necessarily have to make sense to me. :?:

StockdaleForVeep
06-14-2004, 11:21 PM

hey key note is almost, Wagner didnt get the save in the game where he gave up 4 runs and i believe same happened for smoltz?

beckett21
06-14-2004, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=MRKARNO]The three ways to get a save are as follows:

QUOTE]

hey key note is almost, Wagner didnt get the save in the game where he gave up 4 runs and i believe same happened for smoltz?
Don't remember the score of the Phillie game off the top of my head, but I was at the game where Smoltz blew up. When Smoltzie came in, it was 6-0 so it was not a save situation to begin with.

StillMissOzzie
06-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Don't remember the score of the Phillie game off the top of my head, but I was at the game where Smoltz blew up. When Smoltzie came in, it was 6-0 so it was not a save situation to begin with.
I'm pretty sure you can't create a save situation out of a non-save situation for yourself.

SMO

beckett21
06-14-2004, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't create a save situation out of a non-save situation for yourself.

SMO
:bkoch:

"Damn."

StockdaleForVeep
06-15-2004, 03:22 AM
I believe the phillies beat us same score we beat them, 13-11, wagner came in cuz he just came off the dl and the score was 13-7 or 13-6.

Question, even tho its not a save if they end it, if they end up giving up the tieing run, does it rank as a blown save?

owensmouth
06-15-2004, 03:30 AM
Yeah, you can. If, for example, a relief pitcher comes on and gives up a single and puts him into that save situation, and he then goes on to get the final out(s), he'll generally get the save.

MRKARNO
06-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Yeah, you can. If, for example, a relief pitcher comes on and gives up a single and puts him into that save situation, and he then goes on to get the final out(s), he'll generally get the save.
I'm pretty sure that you're wrong on that, unless the single scored enough runs which were credited to the previous pitcher that woulod change the lead to 3 runs or less.

ma-gaga
06-15-2004, 07:14 PM
yeah...

You cannot "create" a save situation for yourself. It's not a 'generally' item, the rules are very specific on when there is a save situation. MRKARNO has summarized them above.

However, you can create a save situation for the guy behind you. If you have a 5 run lead, and you get 2 outs, then you proceed to load up the bases, and then get pulled, the guy behind you has a save situation. 3 on base + 1 batter + 1 on deck = 5 runs to tie the game = save situation. That doesn't happen very often.

fquaye149
06-16-2004, 07:30 AM
isn't it if your lead minus number of outs left in the game minus runners on base equals zero you are eligible for a save if you complete the game?