PDA

View Full Version : Munoz Mows Down AA Cubbies

DrCrawdad
06-14-2004, 11:45 PM
http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/arniesarmy

OEO Magglio
06-14-2004, 11:48 PM
http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/arniesarmyArnie has been nothing short of outstanding this year. Second night in a row sosa has leadoff.:o: Baj got his era over one.:whiner: He's also been quite impressive this year.

MRKARNO
06-14-2004, 11:54 PM
It was nice to see that Munoz had a chance to pitch against a major league hitter seeing that he might have to pitch against a lineup full of 8 major league hitters if he starts saturday (NL park). Maybe he can be the one to come up and be the guy we needed out of the fifth starter spot. Of all of the previous 5th starters, he is the best prospect and has the best stuff.

owensmouth
06-15-2004, 12:12 AM
And against the Expos, he'll be given the best chance to succeed. Of course, it would be nice if our offense comes to the game.

DrCrawdad
06-15-2004, 12:27 AM
It was nice to see that Munoz had a chance to pitch against a major league hitter seeing that he might have to pitch against a lineup full of 8 major league hitters if he starts saturday (NL park). Maybe he can be the one to come up and be the guy we needed out of the fifth starter spot. Of all of the previous 5th starters, he is the best prospect and has the best stuff.

I'm ready to join Arnie's Army!

http://www.arniesarmybattles.com/images/logo_left.jpg
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_080803/content/rush_s_total_stack_of_stuff.ParBottom.0011.ImageFi le.jpg

Vsahajpal
06-15-2004, 02:35 AM
Here's a report on Munoz from a friend who attended:

Arnie Munoz started for B'ham. He's not very imposing, velocity-wise, but he changes speeds very nicely, which shows in his W-L record and his very good ERA. He was everywhere from mid 70's to low 90's, maxing at 91 on his fastball. One pitch sequence to Soto, during which he K's Soto, was 85, 87, 78, 78, and 79.

Chisoxfn
06-15-2004, 02:49 AM
Another positive is that Munoz is now slated to pitch on his normal rest later this week when the 5th starters spot comes up. He pitched really good tonight.

The most impressive thing about his move to the rotation is how quickly his secondary pitches have improved. I've heard Shines a few times quoted as saying that his slider is already a plus pitch and that his changeup is quickly getting really good too.

DrCrawdad
06-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Here's what Sosa had to say about Munoz in today's Sun-Times.

:shammy
"He threw me some pitches that were pretty awesome,'' Sosa said. "I was loose for most of the night, but he made it really hard on me.''

mendozaln
06-15-2004, 10:56 AM
If Munoz gets the Saturday game, I hope it's just treated as a spot start (until we can trade for more experienced fifth starter), and noone talks about Munoz as an answer in the fifth spot. It's not that he doesn't have the stuff to be the answer, but Diaz and Cotts do, too. (At least -- Rauch and Wright may, as well, though Wright was pitching hurt.)

I don't like explanations about 'mindset' with pitchers, but I can't think of any other way to explain why we've had such miserable performances out of the fifth starters. (Of course, bad luck is a possibility, but that's a LOT of bad luck.) If it is just pressure, then it might be best to just assume all around that Munoz will return to AA after a start or two. After all, despite the debacle at the end, Rauch's start was one of the better ones out of the fifth spot, and he know it was a one-and-out type of deal.

SoxxoS
06-15-2004, 11:55 AM
If Munoz gets the Saturday game, I hope it's just treated as a spot start (until we can trade for more experienced fifth starter), and noone talks about Munoz as an answer in the fifth spot. It's not that he doesn't have the stuff to be the answer, but Diaz and Cotts do, too. (At least -- Rauch and Wright may, as well, though Wright was pitching hurt.)

I don't like explanations about 'mindset' with pitchers, but I can't think of any other way to explain why we've had such miserable performances out of the fifth starters. (Of course, bad luck is a possibility, but that's a LOT of bad luck.) If it is just pressure, then it might be best to just assume all around that Munoz will return to AA after a start or two. After all, despite the debacle at the end, Rauch's start was one of the better ones out of the fifth spot, and he know it was a one-and-out type of deal.
Rauch's start was awful. Everything was straight or curving (slowly, I might add) over the plate. He got VERY lucky to only give up 5 (or 6) runs in that start. There were guys throw out at home, second, and picked off, I believe.

As you said, having the stuff doesn't mean poop if you aren't mentally strong enough. That should be the first "tool" scouts take into account.

mendozaln
06-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Rauch's start was awful. Everything was straight or curving (slowly, I might add) over the plate. He got VERY lucky to only give up 5 (or 6) runs in that start. There were guys throw out at home, second, and picked off, I believe.
I can't watch the games, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge. But quite a few people (some on this board) thought he looked acceptable for the first 3 innings (and acceptable is better than we've had). Even KW, who wasn't saying too many nice things about Rauch, said that he was visiting the clubhouse to praise his performance. Maybe we just have different yardsticks -- he may have been awful, but not awful relative to our fifth starters?

jeremyb1
06-15-2004, 02:27 PM
More from Sammy:

'He pitched me pretty good,'' Sosa told The Jackson Sun. ''He challenged me. He's a good pitcher. When he struck me out, it was a pretty nasty breaking pitch. He can be in the major leagues any day. It was the first time I've seen him, and he impressed me."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/2004dish.html

guillen4life13
06-15-2004, 02:33 PM
More from Sammy:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/2004dish.html
That looks very promising.

Hopefully the assessment is somewhat on the money, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. I don't feel in the mood for a letdown.

SoxxoS
06-15-2004, 02:36 PM
I can't watch the games, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge. But quite a few people (some on this board) thought he looked acceptable for the first 3 innings (and acceptable is better than we've had). Even KW, who wasn't saying too many nice things about Rauch, said that he was visiting the clubhouse to praise his performance. Maybe we just have different yardsticks -- he may have been awful, but not awful relative to our fifth starters?
I guess you can say he was the lesser of the 5th starter evils...but I think Diaz's first 3 innings were a lot better than Rauch's.

After Munoz's recent performance, to me, his callup is a no-brainer. Especially after:
:barney&sham
Praise.

mendozaln
06-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Hopefully the assessment is somewhat on the money, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. I don't feel in the mood for a letdown.
What? According to your signature you're always in the mood for a letdown! :D: