PDA

View Full Version : Mike Kiley article on Chip Caray

ChiSox14305635
06-14-2004, 07:23 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-kiley14.html

Caray and Stone may be as good, if not better, than any TV tandem in the major leagues today. You get information, insight, the big picture, criticism when needed and a few laughs. What else is there?
Hillarious.

cheeses_h_rice
06-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Did the Sun-Times print it in teal?

Cubbiesuck13
06-14-2004, 08:30 PM
i encourage everyone to go back and read the article again, but this time imagine that chip wrote it.

RKMeibalane
06-14-2004, 10:23 PM
It's really sad that this man is actually paid to write crap like that. Honestly, I think I could write a more interesting article just pulling random facts out of my ass.

Vsahajpal
06-14-2004, 10:31 PM
I like Stone a lot, Chip...not so much.

The Oakland broadcast is the best, IMO; then Vin Scully and the Giants are next, Yankees and Astros round out my top 5.

duke of dorwood
06-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Stone's whiny voice gets to me-he sounds like an annoying prosecuting attorney

Fridaythe13thJason
06-15-2004, 07:54 AM
I like Stone a lot, Chip...not so much.

The Oakland broadcast is the best, IMO; then Vin Scully and the Giants are next, Yankees and Astros round out my top 5.

Vin may HAVE BEEN the best at one point, but he is losing it now. Living out there for a while, I watched a lot of Dodgers games, and listening to his droll all by himself for an entire game (while impressive) is terribly boring.

I really like that guy who does the Braves games.

thepaulbowski
06-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Actually, I'm a fan of Skip. I like watching Braves games because of him.

SSN721
06-15-2004, 08:25 AM
I think Steve Stone is a good broadcaster, handicapped by Carey, just as I like Pat Hughes a lot and think that he is dumbed down by Santos moronic outbursts during broadcasts. Chip is terrible though. I dont know how Kiley could possibly think they are as good as it comes as far as boradcasting duos. I think Vin Scully still has it, John Miller is another favorite of mine, fantastic radio voice and very insightful, a delight to listen to.

soxnut
06-15-2004, 09:57 AM
I think Steve Stone is a good broadcaster, handicapped by Carey, just as I like Pat Hughes a lot and think that he is dumbed down by Santos moronic outbursts during broadcasts. Chip is terrible though. I dont know how Kiley could possibly think they are as good as it comes as far as boradcasting duos. I think Vin Scully still has it, John Miller is another favorite of mine, fantastic radio voice and very insightful, a delight to listen to.

I wonder if the Cubs don't sign Chip, if they would try to lure John Miller?

mdep524
06-15-2004, 12:18 PM
I heard they were trying to get Thom Breneman back. I liked him.

sendimjoey
06-15-2004, 12:34 PM
I heard they were trying to get Thom Breneman back. I liked him.
Brenneman sure seemed to be trying to weasel his way back into the job last fall during the NLCS. Despite nearly 33 years as a North Sider, I've never heard such gushing about "beaauuuutiful WRRRIGLEY FIELD" every single night.

"Psycho, how did you get up the enthusiasm to even get out of bed when you played on the other side of town? You were so close to this beaaauuutiful nirvana of baseball -- the very cradle of the game -- yet you had to play for that depressing team."

I'd like to call a moratorium on Chicago baseball teams hiring the sons of other broadcasters (I like Skip Caray, but he's not moving here).

Baby Fisk
06-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Vin may HAVE BEEN the best at one point, but he is losing it now. Living out there for a while, I watched a lot of Dodgers games, and listening to his droll all by himself for an entire game (while impressive) is terribly boring.

I used to love Vin Scully with Joe Garagiola. Vin by himself creeps me out.

I like the Mets gang, but nothing beats Hawk & DJ. The Yankee YES men are the worst bootlicking fartcatchers on TV.

Who does the Wimperoo call games for?

SoxFan76
06-15-2004, 04:21 PM

I like the Mets gang, but nothing beats Hawk & DJ. The Yankee YES men are the worst bootlicking fartcatchers on TV.

YES announcers are almost as bad as all four Cub announcers. Not quite, but almost. I haven't even ever lived/been to New York. I have heard enough of them on ESPN to make me hate them.

mjmcend
06-16-2004, 12:25 AM
I think Steve Stone is a good broadcaster, handicapped by Carey, just as I like Pat Hughes a lot and think that he is dumbed down by Santos moronic outbursts during broadcasts. Chip is terrible though. I dont know how Kiley could possibly think they are as good as it comes as far as boradcasting duos. .

I agree with you on Stone and Carey. And you are right on about the dumb outbursts of Santo. He is the John Madden of baseball.

"We could use a base hit right here...." -- Santo

StillMissOzzie
06-16-2004, 12:33 AM
Who does the Wimperoo call games for?Last I heard, he was a part-timer for the Tigers. Don't know if that's still true, though.

SMO

Kilroy
06-16-2004, 07:13 AM

:carter

I'm not doing anything...

Dan Gelo
06-16-2004, 05:17 PM
as far as other teams Vin Scully and Harry Kalas of the Phillies get my nod.

SOXintheBURGH
06-16-2004, 05:37 PM

I remember asking someone a year or two ago where Wimpy is now and I think its Cleveland.. not certain though.

Lip Man 1
06-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Tom Paciorek does Braves games for Fox Sports South.

"Skip" Carey was actually close to being hired by the Sox to team with Harry giving baseball its first 'father / son' announcer team. Bill Veeck wanted to do it and spoke with "Skip" about it. At the time he was just getting into major market broadcasting and to his credit, declined the offer because he said he wanted to make it in the business on his own, not riding his father's coat tails.

"Chip" started his career in the mid 90's doing Seattle Mariners baseball and Orlando Magic basketball. When I heard him with Seattle he was actually pretty good but since coming to the Cubs has lost most if not all of his objectivity. I understand that you are paid by the club and it's certainly a major conflict of interest for any announcer, but you have to maintain some dignity, some objectivity regardless of who pays you.

Lip