PDA

View Full Version : Valentin for Ortiz? Garcia probable?

Jurr
06-14-2004, 05:56 PM
I usually read prosportsdaily.com for their white sox rumors. Lately they've been playing up a possible trade between the Sox and Angels (Valentin for Ortiz) and a Miami paper sticks by the statement that we are the leading contenders for Freddy Garcia and they say that we could be making a deal very soon. Is this old news? I know the Freddy stuff is played out, but I thought we weren't going to have much of a shot at pulling that off.

kittle42
06-14-2004, 06:01 PM
I usually read prosportsdaily.com for their white sox rumors. Lately they've been playing up a possible trade between the Sox and Angels (Valentin for Ortiz)
I just watched Ramon Ortiz pitch horribly in his last few outings. I want no part of him.

Randar68
06-14-2004, 06:05 PM
I usually read prosportsdaily.com for their white sox rumors. Lately they've been playing up a possible trade between the Sox and Angels (Valentin for Ortiz) and a Miami paper sticks by the statement that we are the leading contenders for Freddy Garcia and they say that we could be making a deal very soon. Is this old news? I know the Freddy stuff is played out, but I thought we weren't going to have much of a shot at pulling that off.
We've been on the verge of getting Garcia for a month now. We'll see what happens, but anyone holding their breath is more likely to suffocate...

daveeym
06-14-2004, 06:10 PM
I know it's from gammons but i was reading his article and seemed to think this was why burke was called up. He said KC is looking for a young 3b and c for beltran. He did not mention the sox in the running for him. I say, let's give them crede and burke, move uribe to 3d, willie back to 2b, beltran in center and get that 5th starter. We then have our new draft pick to give us headaches over at third for the next few years. Heck even though I love miggy with the way the staff holds runners i'd be willing to give him up for this to happen.

OEO Magglio
06-14-2004, 06:11 PM
I know it's from gammons but i was reading his article and seemed to think this was why burke was called up. He said KC is looking for a young 3b and c for beltran. He did not mention the sox in the running for him. I say, let's give them crede and burke, move uribe to 3d, willie back to 2b, beltran in center and get that 5th starter. We then have our new draft pick to give us headaches over at third for the next few years. Heck even though I love miggy with the way the staff holds runners i'd be willing to give him up for this to happen.LOL. Burke is like 30 years old and isn't a prospect the royals don't want him.

Randar68
06-14-2004, 06:16 PM
LOL. Burke is like 30 years old and isn't a prospect the royals don't want him.
If anyone looking for a "young catching prospect" targets Burke, the GM should be fired on the spot, LOL.

Hondo
06-14-2004, 06:17 PM
LOL. Burke is like 30 years old and isn't a prospect the royals don't want him.

Man, you're way off!!!!
He's going to be 33 in September

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/burkeja02.shtml#TRANS

OEO Magglio
06-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Man, you're way off!!!!
He's going to be 33 in September

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/burkeja02.shtml#TRANSSorry.:whiner::D:

longshot7
06-14-2004, 07:51 PM
don't expect Ortiz to go anywhere - thank God. The Angels have to keep him due to Sele being on the DL right now.

fquaye149
06-14-2004, 07:55 PM
the wa-yay-ting is the hardest part!:whiner:

MRKARNO
06-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Valentin for Ortiz would be an absolutely, positively horriible trade.

RKMeibalane
06-14-2004, 11:58 PM
Valentin for Garcia is a good trade. I assume that the trade will involve additional players, possibly someone such as Joe Borchard. Ken Williams has stated that he would like to hang onto Borchard, but as time goes on, it's looking less and less likely that LTP is going to amount to anything. His swing is longer than Crede's, and his knowledge of the strike zone is no better than mine.

The accquisition of Freddy Garcia would leave the Sox with the following starting rotation and lineup:

Starting Roation:

Buehrle
Loaiza
Garcia
Garland
Shoeneweis

Lineup: (Once Ordonez is healthy)

2B- Harris
SS- Uribe
DH- Thomas
RF- Ordonez
LF- Lee
1B- Konerko
CF- Perez/Rowand
3B- Crede
C- Olivo/Alomar Jr.

The loss of Valentin leaves the Sox with no left-handed power, and it may warrant the callup of Jeremy Reed, who could probably step right into the number seven spot without a problem.

doublem23
06-15-2004, 01:26 AM
Can we please stop assuming that Jeremy Reed will automatically be a serviceable MLB starter if he gets called up some time this year? I know he hit .400 or something in AA last year and I know everyone on the boards is salivating at the prospect of that kind of raw talent on our roster, but he still is what? A 22-year old kid? He'd be an exception, not the rule, if he was even above average at this level this year.

wdelaney72
06-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Valentin for Garcia is a good trade. I assume that the trade will involve additional players, possibly someone such as Joe Borchard.
This trade doesn't make any sense. Valentin is on a 1 yr deal for 5 million. If the trade happens, it will be for prospects.

As far as Burke is concerned, if Kenny was shopping him around to trade, he WOULD NOT have brought him up to face tougher pitching. That's why with Maggs' injury, Reed and Borchard have stayed put in AAA. One of them will be dealt.

Dadawg_77
06-15-2004, 10:35 AM
This trade doesn't make any sense. Valentin is on a 1 yr deal for 5 million. If the trade happens, it will be for prospects.

As far as Burke is concerned, if Kenny was shopping him around to trade, he WOULD NOT have brought him up to face tougher pitching. That's why with Maggs' injury, Reed and Borchard have stayed put in AAA. One of them will be dealt.
Olivo and Crede for Beltran and Randa? Crede and Olivo are the only two players I can think of which will fill the Royals needs. If KC sticks to its goal of a catcher and thrid baseman for Beltran, I doubt the Sox can get him.

hold2dibber
06-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Can we please stop assuming that Jeremy Reed will automatically be a serviceable MLB starter if he gets called up some time this year? I know he hit .400 or something in AA last year and I know everyone on the boards is salivating at the prospect of that kind of raw talent on our roster, but he still is what? A 22-year old kid? He'd be an exception, not the rule, if he was even above average at this level this year.
Exactly - I mean, he's hitting .268 for Charlotte right now. What is he going to hit against major league pitching? I think it would be a huge mistake to rush him up here in the middle of a penant race, particularly when I'm far from convinced that he'd be any better (at least offensively) than a Perez/Rowand platoon at this point in time.

mike squires
06-15-2004, 10:44 AM
When the Sox make the playoffs this year, Valetin would be a huge role to get us to the next level. It would be a mistake in trading him at this point. His enthusiasm, hustle and pop would be had to repace.

HomerCoach
06-15-2004, 11:04 AM
When the Sox make the playoffs this year,
I hope this isn't in deeppink because you think it's a pipedream.:o: