PDA

View Full Version : JR to KW: Make whatever deals are necessary...

Mickster
06-14-2004, 03:01 PM
I didn't see it posted here but after hearing it this morning on 670, regarding the Sun Times article.... Here is the LINK (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-toni13.html).

Interesting quotes:

Guillen's feel-good influence in the clubhouse extends to the executive offices, where general manager Ken Williams is getting a thumbs-up from Reinsdorf to make whatever deals he and the team believe can make the contending Sox not only a playoff team but a World Series contender.

''We're all here together,'' Guillen said. ''I've said, 'Don't spend money for a guy who can help us one day. We have a chance to win this, so why not take that chance?' ''I like the sound of that.:rolleyes:

soltrain21
06-14-2004, 03:07 PM
I really do like the sound of this. We have waited far too long and I am only 19 years old. I can only imagine what it is like for people far older than thou.

This is a crucial time in White Sox history. With all the things happening in Utica, the renovations, and Cub talk. The Sox have a huge chance to turn a lot of people into Sox fans and keep them here for a long while. I say Kenny makes whatever moves he has to make in order for us to get to the World Series.

nasox
06-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Yes, the whole white sox management is finally on the same page for once.

compy75
06-14-2004, 03:26 PM
It's so refreshing to hear such a committment to winning. I mean last year was get who you need but make sure they pick up the bill. This flexibility from a payroll standpoint is so refreshing but the real question is will we be able to add the pieces that make it a genuine improvement. The deal still has to be brokered.

Baby Fisk
06-14-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm sick of building for a future that never comes. Let's win it all, NOW!

Irishsox1
06-14-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm cool with everything except the Billy Koch as the closer bit. That guy is a loser. Leave Mr. Zero as the closer.

OEO Magglio
06-14-2004, 03:39 PM
I'm cool with everything except the Billy Koch as the closer bit. That guy is a loser. Leave Mr. Zero as the closer.I better never see koch close again.

DaveIsHere
06-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Chicago Whitesox 2004 Champions????? Well we are going to try our asses off.

Tekijawa
06-14-2004, 03:58 PM
I didn't see it posted here but after hearing it this morning on 670, regarding the Sun Times article.... Here is the LINK (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-toni13.html).

Interesting quotes:

I like the sound of that.:rolleyes:
I see I'm not the only one who can't find deep pink anymore

Hokiesox
06-14-2004, 04:01 PM
I hope it works out. Otherwise we're rebuilding next year with no championship. I'm optimistic, but too many teams have tried and failed. In the meantime, this is great news that they're trying to connect with the fans.

Iwritecode
06-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I see I'm not the only one who can't find deep pink anymore

I guess this is the closest we'll get...

mantis1212
06-14-2004, 04:29 PM
I hope it works out. Otherwise we're rebuilding next year with no championship. I'm optimistic, but too many teams have tried and failed. In the meantime, this is great news that they're trying to connect with the fans.
I wouldn't say we'll be rebuilding- we'll be contending in this division every year for a while. On top of having $26MM extra payroll to play with next year, we're definitely holding onto:

Thomas
Konerko
Lee
Buerhle
Garland
Uribe (will get a little of that $26MM)
Olivo
Shingo
Marte
Willie
Crede
Loaiza (hopefully with some of that $26MM)

Still a large core of our team (to use KW's words) If any of these players are traded, it won't be for prospects. It will be to improve the current squad.

idseer
06-14-2004, 05:09 PM
has a rookie manager ever won the world series?

Tekijawa
06-14-2004, 05:34 PM
I was just thinking...

Could the next few moves depend on if Maggs is staying or going next year? Because if Maggs is leaving next year there should be no talk or thought of trading for beltran this year, because we wouldn't be able to sign him next year because he would want to test the FA market. So essentially with the exception of the Yankees trading for him and then just throwing money at him until Boras says yes the team that trades for him will only get him for the next few months guaranteed, because the team that let's him enter FA wouldn't be able to renegotiate until late may again (see carl everett). I don't know what he would get in Arbitration but that is also a risk, and seeing the whole Mondesi Fiasco I don't know if I would want to "under-pay" a player anmore because he could just go sit at home until you release him. If Maggs flees then I'm sure Beltran would have to be our target this offseason, if maggs signs before July 31 then it would be OK to make an offer for Beltran and go for it all knowing that you wouldn't be able to go after beltran in the offseason.

samram
06-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Bob Brenley won in 2001. I'm pretty sure that was his first season managing.

oldcomiskey
06-14-2004, 06:32 PM
has a rookie manager ever won the world series?Earl Weaver

Mohoney
06-14-2004, 07:20 PM

Bob Brenly, I believe, was a rookie in 2001.

MisterB
06-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Bob Brenley won in 2001. I'm pretty sure that was his first season managing.
Also Ralph Houk with the Yankees in '61. Weaver won in his second full year as a manager.

Iguana775
06-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Anyone else have a fear that a natural disaster or strike or some freak thing will happen and cause the season to be ended short so the Sox wont be able to see what they can do. lol

batmanZoSo
06-14-2004, 07:40 PM
"Make whatever deals necessary."

Why didn't he say that in Novemeber? Maybe it's smart after all. If he had said those words to KW, we'd have signed Colon, possibly Ponson..maybe have gotten Garciaparra for one year. I think the way things have played out compared to the likely alternate universe that would've coincided with a carte blanche granted to KW, has been great. And now we're only a trade or two away from being World Series *contenders.*

Since the season's 1/3rd over, we can look around the league and know what we're gonna get from pitchers this season. There's no gamble. And we have the farm system to get pretty much whoever we want. We also have a good enough farm system where we don't have to give up our top 3 prospects to get exactly what we need.

ode to veeck
06-14-2004, 08:38 PM
uh, where's the $26M figure coming from ?!

mikef1331
06-14-2004, 08:59 PM
I think this is probably the most important quote from the article.

Even if Ordonez doesn't sign a contract extension with the Sox, Williams repeatedly has said he doesn't intend to trade him, knowing moving a player of Ordonez's stature and ability would disrupt a pennant-minded team. And the Sox want no part of revisiting the 1997 ''white flag'' trade that sent away veterans Harold Baines to Baltimore and pitchers Wilson Alvarez, Roberto Hernandez and Danny Darwin to San Francisco when the team trailed Cleveland by 3-1/2 games.

Let's hope KW can make the Sox a WS contender this season without giving up any of our star players.

batmanZoSo
06-14-2004, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't say we'll be rebuilding- we'll be contending in this division every year for a while. On top of having $26MM extra payroll to play with next year, we're definitely holding onto:

Thomas
Konerko
Lee
Buerhle
Garland
Uribe (will get a little of that $26MM)
Olivo
Shingo
Marte
Willie
Crede
Loaiza (hopefully with some of that $26MM)

Still a large core of our team (to use KW's words) If any of these players are traded, it won't be for prospects. It will be to improve the current squad.
Yeah, there's not gonna be any re-building going on here in the forseeable future. Re-loading, re-tooling, maybe..and hopefully. I want a more balanced team. We need more speed, better defense, more single/double/triple hitters, more first-to-third ability. A team like that is much less prone to go into extended funks. Minnesota is able to win 4/5 while scoring 3.0 per game because they don't rely on home runs like we do. Granted, they sorely lack power hitting, but a happy medium between the two teams, something like the 03 Marlins (hate to use them, but it's the perfect example) would be the best way to go.

rahulsekhar
06-14-2004, 10:37 PM
uh, where's the $26M figure coming from ?!
If Maggs doesn't resign: $14mil from his 04 salary, then % & change from Valentin + 6 & change from Koch.

oldcomiskey
06-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Also Ralph Houk with the Yankees in '61. Weaver won in his second full year as a manager.
actually Weaver came up in the middle of the 68 season----69 was his first season as manager and I was wrong anyway--so 1970 when the Os won it all wouldve been Weavers 2nd full year--I believe 1970 was alos Sparkey's first year as Manager