PDA

View Full Version : If Maggs Is Gone....

ChiSoxBobette
06-14-2004, 01:17 PM
What I would like to know is if Magglio is gone from the White Sox this year in a trade or next year via free agency, then why was Maggs out on the Fan Deck Sunday afternoon with KW walking around , signing autographs, watching the Sox beat the snot out of the Bravos. I personally think all of the Chicago papers and others reporting that Maggs is gone are full of it. If he was why would he even be with KW or why would he subject himself to being out at a Sox game in the middle of all of the Sox fans like that knowing he would be getting asked if he was staying, it does'nt seem like Maggs is going anywhere but back to his usual position out in right field at US Cell. . The chicago sports reporters are the worst and it seems like they are trying to convince Maggs to go.

Go White Sox!

kittle42
06-14-2004, 01:19 PM
They were reportedly talking "business."

It is foolish to assume that because they were talking in public, things are settled.

It was probably an agreed upon PR move by both parties given the myriad stories in the press recently.

jshanahanjr
06-14-2004, 01:21 PM
It sure was nice to see them together. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

elrod
06-14-2004, 01:38 PM
It was a PR move but it was a good one. First, it tells the fans to relax because both men "want" a deal to work out. Second, it tells the media to back off trying to pry Maggs from the team. And third, it tells the team that Maggs is working with KW to try and help the team long term.

beckett21
06-14-2004, 01:47 PM
What I would like to know is if Magglio is gone from the White Sox this year in a trade or next year via free agency, then why was Maggs out on the Fan Deck Sunday afternoon with KW walking around , signing autographs, watching the Sox beat the snot out of the Bravos. I personally think all of the Chicago papers and others reporting that Maggs is gone are full of it. If he was why would he even be with KW or why would he subject himself to being out at a Sox game in the middle of all of the Sox fans like that knowing he would be getting asked if he was staying, it does'nt seem like Maggs is going anywhere but back to his usual position out in right field at US Cell. . The chicago sports reporters are the worst and it seems like they are trying to convince Maggs to go.

Go White Sox!
Personally I wouldn't put any stock whatsoever in whatever is being written about the situation right now. That's just my opinion, but I just don't think the media has a clue about what's really going on behind closed doors. And naturally the NY media is trying to price him out of the market with their nonsensical drivel.

Was Sunday a PR move? Of course, certainly no harm done though.

All that said, I cannot forsee any reason Maggs would forego his last great shot at a big FA payday. Not a matter of loyalty to the Sox, but a matter of loyalty to himself and his family. I wouldn't hold it personally against him if he were able to find a better offer. I would be disappointed, but such is life. Can't really fault either side, again my opinion.

Hopefully the Sox find a way to make everybody happy. But Vlad he ain't. If he can find that kind of money elsewhere, more power to him.

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Even if Brooks Boyer had nothing to do with Maggs and K-Dub hanging out and chatting in public, the early returns seem to suggest that the Sox are making a concerted effort to change their negative reputation/perception in the media. I can't help but think that Boyer has been influential in trying to change the "culture" of the franchise, and this definitely is a positive development.

DaveIsHere
06-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Even if Brooks Boyer had nothing to do with Maggs and K-Dub hanging out and chatting in public, the early returns seem to suggest that the Sox are making a concerted effort to change their negative reputation/perception in the media. I can't help but think that Boyer has been influential in trying to change the "culture" of the franchise, and this definitely is a positive development.
If you look back since Brooks took over there have been quite a few minor changes in and around the Sox. I like them all, from the comercial to the starting lineup and all of these "coincidental" mmetings with Kenny and Mags, didnt Kenny take someone down to the Clubhouse a few weeks back, I thought someone was talking about it on here.

rahulsekhar
06-14-2004, 02:10 PM
All that said, I cannot forsee any reason Maggs would forego his last great shot at a big FA payday. Not a matter of loyalty to the Sox, but a matter of loyalty to himself and his family. I wouldn't hold it personally against him if he were able to find a better offer. I would be disappointed, but such is life. Can't really fault either side, again my opinion.

I guess in a perfect world, Maggs would figure out that the market's not really there for him to get more than Vlad money and figure that the chance to play for Ozzie with a team and city that he knows and likes (and that likes him) would lead him to say "OK guy's, just give me something fair, I don't need to leave for the difference between $14mil with some deferred and $14mil with less deferred" (and I think most contracts these days have some form of deferred $$$, but I could be wrong).

IlliniSox
06-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Did JR authorize Kenny to buy the first round of hot dogs?

misty60481
06-14-2004, 02:35 PM
I dont think Maggs wants to make a media circus out of his contract negotiations as some other big names have done

gosox41
06-15-2004, 10:41 AM
It was a PR move but it was a good one. First, it tells the fans to relax because both men "want" a deal to work out. Second, it tells the media to back off trying to pry Maggs from the team. And third, it tells the team that Maggs is working with KW to try and help the team long term.
I agree with you.

I'm just waiting for the posts about how the Sox negotiate in bad faith because Magglio's GM wasn't around.

Funny, I didn't know anyone was holding a gun to Magglio's head and making him come out and talk to KW in the fan deck.

Bob

nasox
06-15-2004, 10:53 AM
I guess this proves that not all PR moves by JR are crap.