PDA

View Full Version : Hawk and the 7th inning stretch..........

soxnut
06-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Haven't been on here in a couple of days, so I don't know if this has been mentioned. I was at the game on friday vs the Braves, and when it was time for the 7th inning stretch, Hawk stood up and grabbed a microphone and said "ok Nancy!". I thought for sure Hawk was going to start singing, but he didn't. I got really excited for a second, that Hawk was actually going to sing. Did Hawk "chicken out" or what? Or is he getting himself warmed up for the day he actually does it? Anyone recall this?

elrod
06-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Hmmm. First we start throwing HR balls back on the field. Next we have people who can't sing embarassing themselves by singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame. When are the 38,000 people going to come out and pay no attention to the game?

fledgedrallycap
06-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Hmmm. First we start throwing HR balls back on the field. Next we have people who can't sing embarassing themselves by singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame. When are the 38,000 people going to come out and pay no attention to the game?
Relax. The tradition technically started on the Southside, anyway.

soxnut
06-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Hmmm. First we start throwing HR balls back on the field. Next we have people who can't sing embarassing themselves by singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame. When are the 38,000 people going to come out and pay no attention to the game?Do you even realize that the 7th ining stretch was started on the south side? It should be taken back. Anyway, again, did anyone witness this on friday?

elrod
06-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Which tradition? The guest singer or the HR ball throw-back? I thought the guest singer thing was started at Wrigley after Harry Carey died? And that was because Harry Carey used to lead the crowd in it (at Comiskey before Wrigley).

npdempse
06-14-2004, 01:44 PM
Do you even realize that the 7th ining stretch was started on the south side? It should be taken back. Anyway, again, did anyone witness this on friday?
I noticed something like it on Tuesday. I think the "Play it Nancy" thing is a canned soundbite, but I really thought Hawk was going to sing.

soxnut
06-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Which tradition? The guest singer or the HR ball throw-back? I thought the guest singer thing was started at Wrigley after Harry Carey died? And that was because Harry Carey used to lead the crowd in it (at Comiskey before Wrigley).

Sorry if you meant guest singer. But it was Hawk that had the mic, not a guest. And if the Sox want Hawk to sing that's fine by me, but if they want a guest singer, then no, I don't want that.

soxnut
06-14-2004, 01:51 PM
I noticed something like it on Tuesday. I think the "Play it Nancy" thing is a canned soundbite, but I really thought Hawk was going to sing.
Well, on Friday, Hawk did stand up, and grab a mic. It was not a canned soundbite.

ozzman
06-14-2004, 02:31 PM
I don't know who says it or if it is canned or not, but every game it says "take it nancy" before she starts to play.

Philo-Sox-er
06-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Anyone who throws the ball back onto the field after a home run should be thrown out of the park! Cubs fans posing as baseball (i.e., Sox) fans. That is the single-handed worst gesture in baseball and only a Cubs fan would do it. I hate that; it is disrespectful to the game!

kittle42
06-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Anyone who throws the ball back onto the field after a home run should be thrown out of the park! Cubs fans posing as baseball (i.e., Sox) fans. That is the single-handed worst gesture in baseball and only a Cubs fan would do it. I hate that; it is disrespectful to the game!
I know this has been discussed before, but Saturday night on the left field councourse, about 50-100 people were chanting throw it back at the Braves' early HR. They of course all cheered when the idiot threw it back.

Philo-Sox-er
06-14-2004, 02:52 PM
THEM: Throw it back.

US: Respect the game.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-14-2004, 02:55 PM
THEM: Throw it back.

US: Respect the game.
Ha, I wish. I haven't seen anyone keep an HR ball this whole year yet. The White Sox fans are getting about as stupid as the Cub fans with that.

socksgirl79
06-14-2004, 03:03 PM
F.Y.I
It is not Hawk saying "Alright Nancy" it is Gene Honda and it is live.

Kilroy
06-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Ha, I wish. I haven't seen anyone keep an HR ball this whole year yet. The White Sox fans are getting about as stupid as the Cub fans with that.
I've seen plenty of vistor's HRs stay in the stands where they belong. You must go to a lot of games on Monday and Tuesday...

DaveIsHere
06-14-2004, 03:08 PM
:hawk

"The 7th inning STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH!!"

dpbyron
06-14-2004, 04:34 PM

Not technically, IT DID START ON THE SOUTH SIDE! :D: :D:

Gammons Peter
06-14-2004, 04:42 PM
Anyone hear Hawk yesterday while they showed a baby in the crowd chewing on his pacifier............."I love num nums"

SSN721
06-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Anyone hear Hawk yesterday while they showed a baby in the crowd chewing on his pacifier............."I love num nums"

lol, I must have missed that, saw most of the game on TV yesterday but didnt hear that call. Wish I did.
:)

Dan Gelo
06-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Saturday in Rf a braves hr was hit. Some mongoloid was screaming in this guys face to throw the ball back. His veins were popping out of his neck and head. I thought he was going to have a coronary. The guy didn't throw it back.:D: Security was near him the rest of the game.

TornLabrum
06-14-2004, 07:04 PM
What do you mean technically? Bill Veeck started Harry and Nancy do it first in 1977, so it was done here for over 4 years before it migrated north.

SoxFan76
06-14-2004, 07:20 PM
What do you mean technically? Bill Veeck started Harry and Nancy do it first in 1977, so it was done here for over 4 years before it migrated north.
What is the origins of the song itself? I highly doubt Harry Caray, Nancy Faust, or Bill Veeck started the song itself too.

jackbrohamer
06-14-2004, 07:49 PM
There are a lot of writings about the song, here's a brief one I found at http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/ballgame.htm

"This song was written in 1908 by a man named Jack Norworth. One day when he was riding a New York City subway train, he spotted a sign that said "Ballgame Today at the Polo Grounds ... Despite the fact that ... Norworth ... had ever been to a baseball game at the time the song was written..."

So the author knew about as much about baseball as about 35,000 people who go to Wrigley every game.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-14-2004, 08:30 PM
If we're going to reclaim old Comiskey Park traditions, I have a list of priorities far more important than reclaiming a dead man's schtick from 25 years ago.

1.) Get a scoreboard that is so big, so noisy, so outlandish, it blows away everything else in the league... just like Bill Veeck's original Monster scoreboard did back in 1960.

2.) Make the Patio Area available to the general audience during the ballgame.

3.) Bring back Falstaff, Schlitz, and Meister Brau on draft at at least one "old tymie" beer stand. And bring back Soxburgers, too.

4.) Rebuild McCuddy's on the north side of 35th Street. Turn the Parking Lot into a real baseball diamond again.

After all of these have been completed maybe we can bother to start a pissing contest with a bunch of idiotic Cubs fans over the orgins of Harry's sing-along tradition... as if arguing with these dolts would ever change the facts.

batmanZoSo
06-14-2004, 08:36 PM
It doesn't matter. They popularized it to the utmost extreme. For all practical purposes, it's theirs. It would be thoroughly embarrassing if Sox fans started copying them like that. I would not take part in it, that's for sure. I don't even stand for the thing we do now. Well, I did on Sunday because I really needed to stretch out.

TornLabrum
06-14-2004, 09:45 PM
If we're going to reclaim old Comiskey Park traditions, I have a list of priorities far more important than reclaiming a dead man's schtick from 25 years ago.

1.) Get a scoreboard that is so big, so noisy, so outlandish, it blows away everything else in the league... just like Bill Veeck's original Monster scoreboard did back in 1960.

2.) Make the Patio Area available to the general audience during the ballgame.

3.) Bring back Falstaff, Schlitz, and Meister Brau on draft at at least one "old tymie" beer stand. And bring back Soxburgers, too.

4.) Rebuild McCuddy's on the north side of 35th Street. Turn the Parking Lot into a real baseball diamond again.

After all of these have been completed maybe we can bother to start a pissing contest with a bunch of idiotic Cubs fans over the orgins of Harry's sing-along tradition... as if arguing with these dolts would ever change the facts.
5) Bring back White Sox Fried Chicken.

elrod
06-15-2004, 01:27 AM
The White Sox made having the announcer lead the crowd in Take Me... a first. But the 7th inning stretch goes back to President Taft - a 300 pound man - who used to stand up in the 7th inning of Senators games. The song is very old too. My guess is the song was sung at the Stretch for a very long time as well. Though Carey did the Take Me lead at Comiskey first, it was publicized nationally on WGN at Wrigley. And after Carey's death it's associated even more with Wrigley. I want nothing to do with Wrigley Field. As my 2-year old says on the El when we go past it, "That's the OTHER baseball stadium."

soxnut
06-15-2004, 10:50 AM
F.Y.I
It is not Hawk saying "Alright Nancy" it is Gene Honda and it is live.

Considering I know the difference between Gene Honda and Hawk's voice, it was not Gene Honda saying it on Friday.

jackbrohamer
06-15-2004, 10:50 AM
4.) Rebuild McCuddy's on the north side of 35th Street. Turn the Parking Lot into a real baseball diamond again.I read a few years ago that the McCuddy family still has a lot of the former insides of the bar in storage and that it wouldn't be that hard to re-build the place. Building a small, brick building like the old place wouldn't be that hard either

Of course, it would be good PR and would mean that some beer money goes to a place other than Reinsdorf's pocket. So there is no way in hell it will ever happen. :angry: