PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating

soxnut
06-14-2004, 12:02 PM
Hey folks. I was just on the Brewers website and they are having a promotion called "The World's Oldest Tailgate". For $20 you get a game ticket, and the tailgate will include food, entertainment and door prizes. I wrote a letter to Brooks Boyer a little over a month ago with a similar suggestion. Since we have tailgating as well, I thought the Sox could do something like that on a regular basis. Considering there isn't that much pre-game activities/venues around the park, making tailgating more of an "event" would be a good idea. What do you guys think?

SOXintheBURGH
06-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Hey folks. I was just on the Brewers website and they are having a promotion called "The World's Oldest Tailgate". For $20 you get a game ticket, and the tailgate will include food, entertainment and door prizes. I wrote a letter to Brooks Boyer a little over a month ago with a similar suggestion. Since we have tailgating as well, I thought the Sox could do something like that on a regular basis. Considering there isn't that much pre-game activities/venues around the park, making tailgating more of an "event" would be a good idea. What do you guys think?
I like the idea in principle, as tailgating can be a lot of fun before a game. Just have to make sure you keep the raging drunks out of the park.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-14-2004, 12:23 PM
tailgaiting is awesome. i see a good amount of people doing so on nice days. otherwise it's a bunch of dudes trying to get lit up in the parking lot of beer that doesn't cost $5.50

Railsplitter
06-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Tailgating is just one of those things that makes being a Sox fan better than being a Cub fan :wink:

jabrch
06-14-2004, 12:33 PM
I am sure the Bertuccis would love a Sox sponsored outdoor tailgate party where they would sell food in the lot once a month!

elrod
06-14-2004, 12:41 PM
I just don't see the fun of tailgating for a baseball game. Football? Sure. But baseball? I'd rather go to Jimbo's.

soxnut
06-14-2004, 12:45 PM
I just don't see the fun of tailgating for a baseball game. Football? Sure. But baseball? I'd rather go to Jimbo's.
You can only fit about 30 people in that place. The time I went they had really good sandwiches, but come on.

nasox
06-14-2004, 12:54 PM
tailgaiting is awesome. i see a good amount of people doing so on nice days. otherwise it's a bunch of dudes trying to get lit up in the parking lot of beer that doesn't cost $5.50
You have a devilish number of posts!:D:

steff
06-14-2004, 12:58 PM
You can only fit about 30 people in that place. The time I went they had really good sandwiches, but come on.

They have a patio set up with 12 or so tables outside. And as long as you're inside the planters you can stand out there, too. Probably fits more like 150 inside, too. :D:

soxnut
06-14-2004, 01:05 PM
They have a patio set up with 12 or so tables outside. And as long as you're inside the planters you can stand out there, too. Probably fits more like 150 inside, too. :D:
Ok steff, well that's good to know. The impression is that it seems like a small place and isn't that much of a draw as a "thing to do" before the game.

But the question is, what do you think of the tailgating ideas?

BeerHandle
06-14-2004, 01:22 PM
I love tailgating. Our split season crew tailgate before most of our games.

wdelaney72
06-14-2004, 01:28 PM
That's crazy. Tailgating before ANY sporting event is always a great time.

The Cell parking lots are great for tailgating. Try it and you may see!

steff
06-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Ok steff, well that's good to know. The impression is that it seems like a small place and isn't that much of a draw as a "thing to do" before the game.

But the question is, what do you think of the tailgating ideas?

I like them. I set up 4 a year. Always a good crowd and everyone seems to have a good time.

Mohoney
06-14-2004, 06:26 PM
I love tailgating. Our split season crew tailgate before most of our games.

Which split season plan do you have?

AnkleSox
06-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Tailgating is just one of those things that makes being a Sox fan better than being a Cub fan :wink:Haha, i hear ya on that one. During nice summer days you can get a tan, drink some cheap/moderately priced beers (even high end store-bought beer will run you less than the miller lite in the park), and meet some great people in the parking lot. Can't do that by wrigley. All you can do is meet some dumb yuppie kids in the Cubbie Bear buying 6 dollar beers with their parents trust fund money. They may be able to formulate the argument that "the sox suck" and "prior is god!"

elrod
06-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Can you tailgate in the cash lots? I might bring the kids and my nephew to a game and tailgate. PBJ fer the yungins and beer for pops. I've just never tailgated for a baseball game. If I go anywhere before a game it's Jimbo's. When I lived in DC I used to go the Camden Pub before Orioles games. It was a ritual. I enjoy going to bars before and after baseball games. I'm not opposed to tailgating at baseball games in principle, just never done it. What other baseball teams have good tailgating? Brewers, Royals, Angels, Mets?

doublem23
06-15-2004, 12:06 AM
What? If anything, tailgating for baseball is far superior thanks to the nicer weather. I'll take a warm grill and a cold beer on a summer afternoon over shivering my ass off over some frozen burgers in the middle of November any day of the week.

batmanZoSo
06-15-2004, 12:10 AM
I tailgated once at a Sox game. It was the 2000 home opener. We just had a trunk full of beer and invited everyone that walked by. At least 12 people stopped and had at least one beer. A few stayed for the duration. It's just as fun for a baseball game as for a football game. I don't understand why people are crapping all over it.

wdelaney72
06-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Can you tailgate in the cash lots? I might bring the kids and my nephew to a game and tailgate. PBJ fer the yungins and beer for pops. I've just never tailgated for a baseball game. If I go anywhere before a game it's Jimbo's. When I lived in DC I used to go the Camden Pub before Orioles games. It was a ritual. I enjoy going to bars before and after baseball games. I'm not opposed to tailgating at baseball games in principle, just never done it. What other baseball teams have good tailgating? Brewers, Royals, Angels, Mets?
Miller Park is probably the best tailgating I've ever seen. Plus, it's a great ballpark. Once again MLB let me down for Father's day (the Sox are on the road). Miller Park - Brewers v. Twinkies here I come (with my Weber grill). Go Brewers!

Jerko
06-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Whatever happened to the tailgate "tent" that the Sox put up that was supposed to serve food and beer? I'm guessing people didn't want to pay ballpark prices while eating/drinking in the lot, but that's one thing that never got off the ground.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Yeah that makes sense..."i'd rather grill when it's 20 below with snow instead of 85 and sunny"

steff
06-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Whatever happened to the tailgate "tent" that the Sox put up that was supposed to serve food and beer? I'm guessing people didn't want to pay ballpark prices while eating/drinking in the lot, but that's one thing that never got off the ground.

Catch 22... it reduced parking. People complained. It gone. :(:

Jerko
06-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Catch 22... it reduced parking. People complained. It gone. :(:
Maybe we ARE a bunch of whiners; what did it displace, like 10 cars? That lot's always so full anyway!

SOXSINCE'70
06-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Tailgating is just one of those things that makes being a Sox fan better than being a Cub fan :wink:
Amen!!It's also a cool way to meet other Sox fans (and enjoy burgers,brats,dogs,chicken wings and the like).:bandance: :bandance:

steff
06-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Maybe we ARE a bunch of whiners; what did it displace, like 10 cars? That lot's always so full anyway!

No, it took up a lot more than that. The actual tent took up about 20 spots. Then there was a little area outside of the tent. Then port-a-pottys next to that. Then traffic couldn't drive in front of it because people were always meeting there before going in. The bands sucked anyway, and they played way to loud. You couldn't be in there for more than 10 minutes and not go partially deaf. And forget about having a conversation with someone..

Jerko
06-15-2004, 04:02 PM
No, it took up a lot more than that. The actual tent took up about 20 spots. Then there was a little area outside of the tent. Then port-a-pottys next to that. Then traffic couldn't drive in front of it because people were always meeting there before going in. The bands sucked anyway, and they played way to loud. You couldn't be in there for more than 10 minutes and not go partially deaf. And forget about having a conversation with someone..
Ok, OK, put the wet noodle down willya! I DID forget about the bands, I can see that being aggravating but they had to know it would take up more room than the physical size of the tent. Well, maybe not!

steff
06-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Ok, OK, put the wet noodle down willya! I DID forget about the bands, I can see that being aggravating but they had to know it would take up more room than the physical size of the tent. Well, maybe not!

To their defense - which I do maybe once a year... - the crowd was not very cooperative. There were a lot of "wanderers" to control :D:

Jerko
06-15-2004, 05:16 PM
To their defense - which I do maybe once a year... - the crowd was not very cooperative. There were a lot of "wanderers" to control :D:
I can see that being a problem. Right size, wrong shape as Hawk would say I guess.

dcb33
06-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Considering you can't tailgate Bears games anymore unless you're one of 1,000, why not tailgate for Sox games? It's so much fun...