PDA

View Full Version : Schoeneweis?

delben91
06-14-2004, 07:51 AM
I didn't see his last start, but that's a couple of "bad" outings in a row from him. Is Scott looking bad out there, or just not having things fall his way? The pitching seems to have been down all week with the exception of Buehrle yesterday, so maybe it was an outside factors thing (weather, what have you) affecting the pitchers, and not them losing "it" per se.

Thoughts?

elrod
06-14-2004, 08:34 AM
He hasn't been sharp in a while but he hasn't been terrible either. His command has been off but he's been able to go deep into games. If he pitches when we don't score much then he'll lose. He's pitching like a #4 starter so he needs run support.

SEALgep
06-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Last game he was getting squeezed, but he wasn't able to pitch over it. I think he'll do better against the Marlins this week.

Dadawg_77
06-14-2004, 08:50 AM
He hasn't been sharp in a while but he hasn't been terrible either. His command has been off but he's been able to go deep into games. If he pitches when we don't score much then he'll lose. He's pitching like a #4 starter so he needs run support.
When did Schoenewies ever have command this year? Opponents have a .348 OBP and 1.46. His K's per nine are not good, at 5.47 and his K/BB is horrible at 1.47. Before this year is all said and done, if Schoe doesn't improve, Schoe Foes might make a return. He is pitching like a 5.

gosox41
06-14-2004, 09:05 AM
When did Schoenewies ever have command this year? Opponents have a .348 OBP and 1.46. His K's per nine are not good, at 5.47 and his K/BB is horrible at 1.47. Before this year is all said and done, if Schoe doesn't improve, Schoe Foes might make a return. He is pitching like a 5.

I was waiting for someone to point this out. I didn't want to seem too negative if I did, but the Scott's stats aren't impressive and his record is not a good indicator of that.

Bob

DaveIsHere
06-14-2004, 09:09 AM
He will be fine, he last couple starts haven't been that great, but you are not going to go through the entire season without some downs. I think he has pitched better than his stats say, let not jump all over him just yet--Either way he is doind a lot better than any of us expected

Dadawg_77
06-14-2004, 09:09 AM
I was waiting for someone to point this out. I didn't want to seem too negative if I did, but the Scott's stats aren't impressive and his record is not a good indicator of that.

Bob
I don't worry about people accusing me of being negative when I am pointing out reality.

gosox41
06-14-2004, 09:15 AM
I don't worry about people accusing me of being negative when I am pointing out reality.

I tend to agree. But when I do it I'm accused of being a troll and looking to pick fights. This is after the other party swears at me and calls me names after I didn't say one word about this person personally. And to think I'm the one trying to pick a fight by talking about reality. If I went up to a strange guy in a bar, what would get me in a fight quicker: saying I don't like KW's peformance or swearing and insulting him?

Enough of the tangent. The Sox need to seriously get a 5th starter in here soon. If they're looking desperate now, wait until you see how much teams try to rob them if Schoenweis continues to pitch like this.

Bob

whitesoxwilkes
06-14-2004, 09:20 AM
He's gotten squeezed terribly in 3 of his losses this year.

That being said though seems like he overcompensates when he misses on a pitch. If his cutter doesn't cut in like it's supposed to, he'll add a little too much flick on the release next time he throws it and it ends up zipping high and inside.

SEALgep
06-14-2004, 09:31 AM
I don't worry about people accusing me of being negative when I am pointing out reality.I'm glad I don't live in Homefish's and your reality.

MisterB
06-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Here's a little more reality. Schoe's K/9 is better than Loaiza and Garland and his OPS against is better than Loaiza and Buehrle. If he gets his walk rate down, he'll be fine.

'Reality' can be spun any way you choose to.

Dadawg_77
06-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Here's a little more reality. Schoe's K/9 and OPS against are better than Loaiza and Buehrle. If he gets his walk rate down, he'll be fine.

'Reality' can be spun any way you choose to.
Mark is 2K a game better then Scott, the difference in OPS is SLG. Mark has been tagged in a few games leading to SLG of .431 while Shoe has been .394. Mark OPB is .324 while Scott's has been .343.

The difference between Estban and Scott's OPS is Slg and Estban has a lower OPB then Scoot, .312 for Este. Estban just hasn't been striking out people 5.14 per game this year, which is main reason why he hasn't been as dominating as he was last year.

elrod
06-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Schoe's stats make him look like a decent #4, or maybe a good #5 if we had another starter in the rotation. Either way, his stats make him look worse than he really is because he can go deep in games and doesn't melt down in jams.

Dadawg_77
06-14-2004, 10:34 AM
The Sox four starters are in the top 50 pitchers for most run support, that will win you games.

MisterB
06-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Bah... I hate brain cramps. Previous post corrected to what I meant to say.

elrod
06-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Since this post is driven by Schoeneweis' recent difficulties it's worth looking at his performance and run support lately.

6/11 ATL 5ER 6IP 0 run support (4 in the ninth) L 6-4 vs. Jaret Wright
6/5 @SEA 4ER 5IP 2 run support L 4-2 vs. Ryan Franklin
5/30 ANA 2ER 7IP 11 run support W 11-2 vs.
5/24 TEX 5ER 6IP 2 run support (2 more in late innings) L 7-4 vs. Kenny Rogers

The Anaheim game was a gem and he got Buehrle like run support. The other three were real struggles - lots of walks and hits. But he also got very little run support in those three games.