PDA

View Full Version : Ray Herbert Interview

davenicholson
06-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Sorry if there's already a thread about this; I did a quick scan and didn't see one.

Once again, thanks for a great interview, Mark! I'm not one for "me too" posts, but I have thoroughly enjoyed your interviews here at WSI, especially those of my Sox heroes of my heydey--Pete Ward, Gary Peters and now, Ray Herbert. I had forgotten about his incredible streak of complete game shutouts. I can only fantasize about a Sox team with today's lineup and a pitching staff of Peters, Horlen, Pizarro and Herbert! Plus, at least on days where Peters, Pizarro and Herbert started, the Sox could DH for Crede! :wink:

Lip Man 1
06-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Dave:

Glad you enjoyed the interview. Ray's a funny guy...not afraid to speak his mind. I was surprised about some of the things that he said about Al Lopez. He isn't the first of his former players to have made statements along the same lines.

It appears that Al who was a brilliant manager, could also be a hard ass. A very different impression then what I remember the Chicago media saying about him.

There are so many guys that I'd like to talk to, the trouble is trying to track them down. As George may have told you the White Sox give us no help in this regard. They don't want anything to do with WSI. I find the players that I can from looking on the Internet and from word of mouth like Ron Kittle gave me Jerry Koosman's phone number. Koosman gave me Greg Luzinski's phone number and so forth.

Anyway we'll keep doing what we can.

Lip

Paulwny
06-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Nice article LIP.

I belive the year was 1960 a young sox pitcher (?), just called up from the minors,was pitching in relief. A ball was softly hit between the mound and 1st base, neither Sievers or the kid went after the ball, the next day the kid was back in the minors and Sievers was benched for a game.
Lopez was tough.

PaulDrake
06-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Dave:

Glad you enjoyed the interview. Ray's a funny guy...not afraid to speak his mind. I was surprised about some of the things that he said about Al Lopez. He isn't the first of his former players to have made statements along the same lines.

It appears that Al who was a brilliant manager, could also be a hard ass. A very different impression then what I remember the Chicago media saying about him.

There are so many guys that I'd like to talk to, the trouble is trying to track them down. As George may have told you the White Sox give us no help in this regard. They don't want anything to do with WSI. I find the players that I can from looking on the Internet and from word of mouth like Ron Kittle gave me Jerry Koosman's phone number. Koosman gave me Greg Luzinski's phone number and so forth.

Anyway we'll keep doing what we can.

Lip It's a shame the Sox keep shooting themselves in the foot PR wise. Maybe the Brooks Boyer era will be different. In any case, this is another in a fine set of interviews you have done on behalf of this site. I realize I'm "old" to most Sox fans here, but it would be a shame if the younger set passed on the opportunity to avail themselves of the Ray Herbert interview, or for that matter any of the older archived interviews. The 63,64 and 65 White Sox teams will always be near and dear to my heart. They were really good teams that kept you saying to yourself "if only". I remember listening on the radio (now that's old!) as Ray Herbert was mowing down the NLers on his way to victory in the 1962 All Star game. The NL was king in those days and the AL didn't win another game until 1971 when Reggie Jackson crushed a Dock Ellis offering in old Tiger Stadium. I really enjoyed the little side story about Al Lopez and Floyd Robinson. Lopez could be a real mean SOB at times, great manager that he was. I read somewhere that longtime Chicago sports columnist Bill Gleason and Sox Hall of Famer Nellie Fox both never forgave Lopez for snubbing Billy Pierce in the 1959 World Series. Ironically Floyd Robinson and Billy Pierce are two of my five all time favorites from the go go era (1951-1967). Pierce was a star for many years, but Robinson was an enigma. He was a hell of a hitter for a few years and then just faded out. I'd like to hear what he has to say. Any chance of an interview with Floyd Robinson? To the best of my knowledge he's still among the living. For a few years he was a very dangerous hitter. Not too many home runs, but lots of doubles in the gap, and man he could hit the ball hard. Again, great interview with a true baseball character Ray Herbert.

BigEdWalsh
06-14-2004, 04:08 PM
I really enjoyed the Ray Herbert interview as well. Ray was such a good pitcher for a few years. I tell my kid all the time about the great pitchers the Sox had in the late 50's and early 60's, starters and relievers.
It would be really cool to see a Floyd Robinson interview. And has there ever been a Moose Skowron interview on WSI?

jackbrohamer
06-14-2004, 04:30 PM
He was a bit before my time and & never knew anything about him except that he was a pitcher. So I learned a lot from the article, about a person who deserves to have people know about him. Thanks!

Lip Man 1
06-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Gang:

I was told by Ed Herrmann that Floyd Robinson lives in the San Diego area but that's all I know, if anyone can pass along more info on Robby I'd love it. by the way the interview that I did with JIM LANDIS for WSI also talks about Robby. Jim had a lot of things to say about him.

"Moose" Skowron works for the White Sox. Unless he's listed in a Chicago phone book I don't know how to contact him since the Sox won't pass anything along to George or I. Again if anybody can get me more specific info, I'll follow it up.

I'm doing the next interview on the 28th. All I'll say is that it involves someone you hear everyday talking about the Sox. That person is then going to try to see if a certain former Sox All Star 3rd baseman would be willing to talk with WSI.

Lip

Dan H
06-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Lip:

I enjoyd this interview as well. The stuff about Lopez was great and not surprising. Nice trip back to when the Sox had some first class teams.

Hondo
06-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Gang:

I was told by Ed Herrmann that Floyd Robinson lives in the San Diego area but that's all I know, if anyone can pass along more info on Robby I'd love it. by the way the interview that I did with JIM LANDIS for WSI also talks about Robby. Jim had a lot of things to say about him.

"Moose" Skowron works for the White Sox. Unless he's listed in a Chicago phone book I don't know how to contact him since the Sox won't pass anything along to George or I. Again if anybody can get me more specific info, I'll follow it up.

I'm doing the next interview on the 28th. All I'll say is that it involves someone you hear everyday talking about the Sox. That person is then going to try to see if a certain former Sox All Star 3rd baseman would be willing to talk with WSI.

Lip
Craig GrebecK??

On a totally unrelated note I'd like to hear from Bill Melton and Dave Wills. :)

MikeW
06-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks for a nice interview with Ray. He was part of my youth and it is a shame that he got hurt in 1964. I still say if Ray and Frank Baumann had not been injured that year, we may have been playing the Cardinals. I'm surprised that he didn't mention that he appeared in the movie about Ron LeFlore's life. As far as Al Lopez is concerned, I have heard stories about him in later years regarding Nellie Fox's being a HOF player or not. I also heard from Brian McCall who had nothing good to say about Lopez either. So, I guess he made a few enemies along the way. He was a good skipper and l liked the way he managed the Go-Go Sox.