PDA

View Full Version : What Team Do You Hate Most

TomC727
06-14-2004, 04:03 AM
I have always hated the Yankees the most out of every baseball team until one revelation last season. I was watching the Cubs-Yankees game and I found myself cheering for the Yankees. I decided I hate the cubs the most out of all teams. I am wondering what others think.

Railsplitter
06-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Cubs

BTW, I'm not the world's formost grammarian, but even I know it's 2 = more 3+ = most.

BigEdWalsh
06-14-2004, 10:03 AM
Cubs!

This was easy for me. Being an American League fan, as a kid nevermind that the Yankees always won the pennant, I rooted for them come World Series time.
When Divisions came into the picture it made our chief rivals constantly changing.....A's, Twins, Indians, Twins again....etc., etc.
One thing never changes, the Cubs are always the Cubs. They're always there and I'll always hate them.
Note: Once when I was around 20 years old (around 1970) or so I tried to like the Cubs. I wondered why I hated a team from my own city. It didn't work, not even for 1 game. The feeling of hate toward the Cubs is too deep, it just comes with the territory of being a Sox fan.:army

HomeFish
06-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Cubs and Red Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2004, 12:11 PM
The Lemmings, er, the Cubs.

SOXintheBURGH
06-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Eternally the Cubs. Lately I have come to hate the Red Sox and cheer on the Yankees since they beat the Red Sox down.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-14-2004, 12:30 PM
The saddest thing I have ever read is this. I've always felt that anyone who hates the Cubs more than the Yankees and is a fan of an American League team doens't grasp how baseball works.

We compete with the Yankees. We do not compete with the Cubs, sans a few interleague games, and a possible World Series. The Yankees are more important.

bobj4400
06-14-2004, 12:39 PM
As a fan of the AL, it would make sense to hate the Cubs more than the Yankees. When the World Series comes around, I would assume most of us root for the American League representative b/c it reflects well on the White Sox and the rest of the AL teams. Using this logic, there are going to be many instances when you are forced to root for the Yanks (as it is a fact of life that they will be there often). This is not the case with the Cubs and thus, for me, it is easier (and more fun) to hate the Cubs.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-14-2004, 12:48 PM
As a fan of the AL, it would make sense to hate the Cubs more than the Yankees. When the World Series comes around, I would assume most of us root for the American League representative b/c it reflects well on the White Sox and the rest of the AL teams. Using this logic, there are going to be many instances when you are forced to root for the Yanks (as it is a fact of life that they will be there often). This is not the case with the Cubs and thus, for me, it is easier (and more fun) to hate the Cubs.
Oh gosh...I would never EVER root for the Yankees or a White Sox rival in the World Series. When the indians were in the world series, I rooted for the Marlins...the only AL team I can think of I rooted for were the Angels, just because it was a good story...but I certainly don't root for White Sox rivals.

HebrewHammer
06-14-2004, 01:58 PM
The saddest thing I have ever read is this. I've always felt that anyone who hates the Cubs more than the Yankees and is a fan of an American League team doens't grasp how baseball works.

We compete with the Yankees. We do not compete with the Cubs, sans a few interleague games, and a possible World Series. The Yankees are more important.If I'm not mistaken, I believe we play the Cubs as many times as we play the Yankees

Fridaythe13thJason
06-14-2004, 02:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe we play the Cubs as many times as we play the Yankees
And we don't battle the Cubs for a wild card spot, or in early playoff rounds, or have many common opponents, or spent decades sitting in second place behind them, etc.

HebrewHammer
06-14-2004, 02:12 PM
And we don't battle the Cubs for a wild card spot, or in early playoff rounds, or have many common opponents, or spent decades sitting in second place behind them, etc.So a win against the Cubs doesn't count as much as a win against the Yankees does? It's a silly argument anyway, the question was which team do you hate the most, living in Chicago, being a Sox fan, and having to hear the amount of Cubpoganda that I have to put up with, it makes sense for me to loathe the Cubs more than any other franchise, but I was suprised the divisional rivals weren't included in the poll.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-14-2004, 02:34 PM
So a win against the Cubs doesn't count as much as a win against the Yankees does? It's a silly argument anyway, the question was which team do you hate the most, living in Chicago, being a Sox fan, and having to hear the amount of Cubpoganda that I have to put up with, it makes sense for me to loathe the Cubs more than any other franchise, but I was suprised the divisional rivals weren't included in the poll.
I guess it's just a difference of opinion. I'll never be able to feel the way people in this city do. The Cubs wear Chicago across their chest, and for that I can't hate them. I don't understand how people can. Baseball is a game of leagues, and the Cubs aren't in ours...so who cares? I just don't, can't, etc. I watch the Cubs because I don't mind them and they represent my city and my neighborhood. Are there things about them that bother me? Yeah, but nothing like the team that took the pennant every year while the White Sox sat around in second, nothing like the team that buys whatever it wants, etc.

The Yankees are disgusting, the Cubs are just another team in this city.

HebrewHammer
06-14-2004, 02:51 PM
I guess it's just a difference of opinion. I'll never be able to feel the way people in this city do. The Cubs wear Chicago across their chest, and for that I can't hate them. I don't understand how people can. Baseball is a game of leagues, and the Cubs aren't in ours...so who cares? I just don't, can't, etc. I watch the Cubs because I don't mind them and they represent my city and my neighborhood. Are there things about them that bother me? Yeah, but nothing like the team that took the pennant every year while the White Sox sat around in second, nothing like the team that buys whatever it wants, etc.

The Yankees are disgusting, the Cubs are just another team in this city.Fair enough. Just because a team has Chicago on their chest does not mean they represent me. I've always disliked the Cubs, but they've only really risen to number one on my hated list this past season because of the endless hype, I guess that's the media and the fans more than the team, but either way I never felt the hype was justified for this team, that and after living amongst their fans for a year I'm completely fed up with these scumbags, I've developed a strong dislike for yuppie alchoholic morons.

HomeFish
06-14-2004, 03:01 PM

The argument goes that your loyalty is to a team, not to a city.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-14-2004, 04:23 PM
The argument goes that your loyalty is to a team, not to a city.
My utmost loyalty is to the City of Chicago before anything else like that. I try to represent well, and focus on the good. Maybe it comes from living in another place, where I wanted to kill myself and missing Chicago greatly. Since being back, I can't find too much fault with this city.

BigEdWalsh
06-14-2004, 04:36 PM

The Yankees are disgusting, the Cubs are just another team in this city.
I've never understood people who claim they like the Sox AND the Cubs. To me, the Cubs and their fans represent an awful lot of what I dislike about fans in general and for that matter people in general. To quote something else I was reading today...the Cubs are Billy Joel and the Sox are The Ramones (I love that analogy!).
The Cubs are upper class, the Sox are lower class. The Cubs are silly old senile Harry Caray, the Sox are cool shirt-off beer drinking Harry Caray.
Also, if it's a game of LEAGUES, then why not root for the World Series representative of YOUR league? It's like the All Star game, pointless as it is, I root for the American League and for that game every American League player, though most of them I "hate".:smile:

Fridaythe13thJason
06-14-2004, 04:51 PM
I've never understood people who claim they like the Sox AND the Cubs. To me, the Cubs and their fans represent an awful lot of what I dislike about fans in general and for that matter people in general. To quote something else I was reading today...the Cubs are Billy Joel and the Sox are The Ramones (I love that analogy!).
The Cubs are upper class, the Sox are lower class. The Cubs are silly old senile Harry Caray, the Sox are cool shirt-off beer drinking Harry Caray.
Also, if it's a game of LEAGUES, then why not root for the World Series representative of YOUR league? It's like the All Star game, pointless as it is, I root for the American League and for that game every American League player, though most of them I "hate".:smile:
I don't root for fans. I root for teams...so while a lot of Cubs fans drive me nuts, the team does not. The day they get rid of Sosa, I will be quite happy and really won't have any issues with them. I am a Sox fan, and always will be, but there's nothing about the organization that really bothers me with the Cubs.

As for your analogies, that's ridiculous. I don't have any aspirations to be lower-class. I have always had plenty of money, I am college educated, and I like dressing well and going out to the bars sometimes...if that makes me a yuppie, then so be it. I also like living where I do quite a bit, and wouldn't desire to live south for anything. How about this...the Sox are the Sox and the Cubs are the Cubs...there's no working-class blah blah to it at all. They're baseball teams.

I don't root for New York...I don't like New York...I like my city, Chicago.

And as for your leagues comment...if its a game of leagues then you compete within your league...I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about teams I compete with.

HomeFish
06-14-2004, 05:12 PM
My utmost loyalty is to the City of Chicago before anything else like that. I try to represent well, and focus on the good. Maybe it comes from living in another place, where I wanted to kill myself and missing Chicago greatly. Since being back, I can't find too much fault with this city.

Uh-huh.

Let me guess. You have a secret life as a politican. Is this you in damage-control mode, Blaggo? :D: (Or do you go by "Blaggs" now to regain that south side vote?)

BigEdWalsh
06-14-2004, 05:15 PM
I don't root for fans. I root for teams...so while a lot of Cubs fans drive me nuts, the team does not. The day they get rid of Sosa, I will be quite happy and really won't have any issues with them. I am a Sox fan, and always will be, but there's nothing about the organization that really bothers me with the Cubs.

As for your analogies, that's ridiculous. I don't have any aspirations to be lower-class. I have always had plenty of money, I am college educated, and I like dressing well and going out to the bars sometimes...if that makes me a yuppie, then so be it. I also like living where I do quite a bit, and wouldn't desire to live south for anything. How about this...the Sox are the Sox and the Cubs are the Cubs...there's no working-class blah blah to it at all. They're baseball teams.

I don't root for New York...I don't like New York...I like my city, Chicago.

And as for your leagues comment...if its a game of leagues then you compete within your league...I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about teams I compete with.
:?: I like my analogies, but they're just analogies. Be a Yuppie if you want!
I'm college educated too and middle class and an ex-hippie just for the record. Well, once a hippie always a hippie, I guess.
As for my league comment, you're the one who made the intitial league comment...how can a Sox fan root in a World Series for a rival? Easy, American League pride. That's all it is, jeez I don't LIKE the Yankees. I don't like the Twins. But, if they're in a World Series, I want to see 'em win. Why, because they're from the American League. I don't like the National League. I've never had a warm fuzzy feeling for the Yankees, though.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-14-2004, 05:39 PM
:?: I like my analogies, but they're just analogies. Be a Yuppie if you want!
I'm college educated too and middle class and an ex-hippie just for the record. Well, once a hippie always a hippie, I guess.
As for my league comment, you're the one who made the intitial league comment...how can a Sox fan root in a World Series for a rival? Easy, American League pride. That's all it is, jeez I don't LIKE the Yankees. I don't like the Twins. But, if they're in a World Series, I want to see 'em win. Why, because they're from the American League. I don't like the National League. I've never had a warm fuzzy feeling for the Yankees, though.
They're the kind of analogies that make people uncomfortable though. Half the problem with the White Sox attendance is this South Side pride that is ridiculous. It's one city...live where you live, like what you like, but I've been given plenty of grief in my life for where I live and who I am a fan of.

I can totally understand your argument for rooting in the WS. I just completely and utterly with no doubt in my mind disagree. I root against my rivals. If the Twins make the WS, I want them to lose.

I also refuse to root against the Cubs so that they don't *destroy us by winning one first* as so many people say. If the Cubs win one first, good for them...it only says the team I love isn't trying hard enough.

BigEdWalsh
06-14-2004, 07:08 PM
I also refuse to root against the Cubs so that they don't *destroy us by winning one first* as so many people say. If the Cubs win one first, good for them...it only says the team I love isn't trying hard enough.
Well, I don't fit into that category. I certainly wouldn't be jumping for joy if the Flubs won a World Series, but if they do, they do. :dunno:
Trouble is , it'll never happen due to the curse and all....:rolleyes: .
Hey, here's another analogy for ya. The Cubs are Paul Revere and the Raiders...the Sox are Grand Funk Railroad.:yoohoo:

WinningUgly!
06-14-2004, 07:54 PM

We compete with the Yankees. We do not compete with the Cubs, sans a few interleague games, and a possible World Series. The Yankees are more important.
The Yankees play 25 games this season, against our AL Central foes. The Cubs play zero. End of story. All Sox fans should root for the Yankees 25 times.

minastirith67
06-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Poll needs at least a third option, NONE OF THE ABOVE. I don't really hate either team. I find both to be annoying on occasion, but not enough to really elicit hate from me.

Jjav829
06-14-2004, 08:27 PM
The Cubs.

doublem23
06-15-2004, 01:10 AM
1. Cubs
2. Red Sox
3. Yankees

owensmouth
06-15-2004, 04:20 AM
I don't hate the Cubs, I have contempt for the Cubs. I have comtempt for their organization, for their image, and most of all, I have contempt for their brainless fans.

The Yankees I hate. It just goes with the era I was brought up in, the 50s. Every year it seemed to be the Sox falling just short of the Yankees. Except for glorious 1959, of course.

I won't even watch a Yankee game (except, of course, when the Sox are playing them). I hate them so much I've turned off the TV rather than watch the series.

My hatred of the Yankees goes a long way to explain my disdain for ESPN, which is so wrapped up in Yankeedom that they often seem to be part of George's TV network.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-15-2004, 11:07 AM
my local sports team is better than your local sports. team

woodenleg
06-15-2004, 01:02 PM
They're the kind of analogies that make people uncomfortable though. Half the problem with the White Sox attendance is this South Side pride that is ridiculous. It's one city...live where you live, like what you like, but I've been given plenty of grief in my life for where I live and who I am a fan of.

Jason, I don't think you'd feel that way if you had to go to school with people who ridiculed where you grew up, who called you & your neighbors 'ghetto' and 'trash' and who assumed you were dumber than you were. Now I have to work with people who still have these attitudes. I'm afraid to tell people where I'm from and always have been - I just do not get taken seriously when I say where I'm from.

It's the ridicule, snobbery and ignorance that fuels the contempt and makes many Sox fans want to rally in pride.

South side pride is NOT ridiculous when the north side dominates in everything.

I didn't hate the Cubs until a few years ago, when I could no longer take the insults to my side of town and my hometown.

I'll believe in 'civic pride' when the larger half of the city gets respect and not bigotry. Until then, 'Chicago pride' is a joke. The south side just does not get the consideration that the north side gets.

That said, I still hate the Yankees more, and voted so. The reason many of you don't is because maybe you haven't had enough encounters with their awful fans.

Not including the Yankees, however, my momma (a 2nd-generation Sox fan) taught me that if your team doesn't win it, you root for the American League team. If the Sox don't win the division, you root for the AL Central team, etc. They're not a rival anymore if they've beaten you, and THAT is good sportsmanship.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Jason, I don't think you'd feel that way if you had to go to school with people who ridiculed where you grew up, who called you & your neighbors 'ghetto' and 'trash' and who assumed you were dumber than you were. Now I have to work with people who still have these attitudes. I'm afraid to tell people where I'm from and always have been - I just do not get taken seriously when I say where I'm from.

It's the ridicule, snobbery and ignorance that fuels the contempt and makes many Sox fans want to rally in pride.

South side pride is NOT ridiculous when the north side dominates in everything.

I didn't hate the Cubs until a few years ago, when I could no longer take the insults to my side of town and my hometown.

I'll believe in 'civic pride' when the larger half of the city gets respect and not bigotry. Until then, 'Chicago pride' is a joke. The south side just does not get the consideration that the north side gets.

That said, I still hate the Yankees more, and voted so. The reason many of you don't is because maybe you haven't had enough encounters with their awful fans.

Not including the Yankees, however, my momma (a 2nd-generation Sox fan) taught me that if your team doesn't win it, you root for the American League team. If the Sox don't win the division, you root for the AL Central team, etc. They're not a rival anymore if they've beaten you, and THAT is good sportsmanship.
Your points about the south side are well-taken. It's not something I've thought about since I've always lived up here, but I can definitely see where its true. I don't have a single friend who lives south of Roosevelt, and I don't EVER go that way except for the White Sox...and the MSI.

You make a great point.

Uncle_Patrick
06-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Everybody is talking about Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox. How about the Twins? That's the team I hate. They're a huge thorn in the Sox side, they talk a lot of smack, and they are in our division! I only hate the Yankees and Red Sox when the White Sox play them. Other than that, I don't care. In fact, I hope they beat our Central division rivals. They help us out then. As for the Cubs, I don't hate them, but I'd be lying if I said I don't smile when they lose (and yes, I do hate their fans and fans of any team that root for their team because its the "cool" thing to do).

Its the Twins who should be receiving our hatred. Every game they win and lose affects the White Sox, either positively or negatively, more than any other team mentioned here.

By the way BigEdWalsh, I thought the Ramones analogy was awesome.