PDA

View Full Version : Sox Conversions

Palehose Pete
06-14-2004, 01:28 AM
I took my folks to the Sunday game against the Braves today. Since I was raised down state (Rockford, to be specific), as a young Sox fan, I had to struggle with a family of Chubbie fans and errant Cardinal fans all of my youth. Not a single Sox fan among them, until today. I wouldn't call my folks die-hard Cub fans, just uninformed baseball fans. They rooted for the Cubs because everyone else in the area seemed to root for them. My parents had never been to Comiskey and never had a clue how friendly fans at the ball park really are. They never had the joy of hearing Nancy Faust play a batter to the plate or hear Gene Honda bellow Frank's name over the P.A. They had never tasted a churro or a brat with onions and then walked the concourse with a beer while still catching the game. And, of course, they never had the pleasure of watching White Sox baseball. Now, after today's great game, they want more. They have seen the light! They have ditched their Cubbie blue and are sporting the black and white. :D:

Does anyone else have similar tales of bringing baseball enlightenment to a friend/family member?

HomeFish
06-14-2004, 01:42 AM
I've basically reached an agreement with this one greek guy; he cheers for the White Sox, I chear for his local soccer team in Greece. I even took him out to the Cell on Thursday, but that game got rained out.

Then of course there was my own conversion, performed by some stranger I only know as Ernie.

TomC727
06-14-2004, 03:12 AM
I converted my girlfriend. She was an uninformed cubs fan. She is now a major White Sox Fan. Uribe is her favorite.

SOXintheBURGH
06-14-2004, 03:17 AM
My girlfriend is a Pirates fan but I have her slowly converting and she can recite the entire lineup finally.

CanOfCorn
06-14-2004, 09:28 AM
My girlfriend is a Yankees fan, and she's made the Sox her No. 2 team.

It's at least nice to know that she knows how many times Steve Howe was suspended, and she despises anybody that wears a Yanks jersey with a name on the back.

sendimjoey
06-14-2004, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure I could say I've converted him, but I have a friend who grew up as a Tigers fan and was starting down the path to the North Side. I think my constant agitation to go to Sox games has at least made him neutral in the city, which, as an outsider, I consider his right. He was at yesterday's game, and, without any prompting from me, he said the experience is definitely better at the Cell. I think his wife prefers going to Cubs games, however.

I guess, too, I can take credit for my immigrant father being a Sox fan. A lot of people have assumed that a North Sider who roots for the Sox like me must have a South Sider for a father. He's from the South Side alright -- the South Side of Italy.

wdelaney72
06-14-2004, 02:22 PM
For the sake of our kids, my wife has been converted. Although, she's really not much of a baseball fan. Still, it beats her blindly saying she's a fan of the other team.

I've also converted my younger cousin. He's a full fledge new recruit. I got to him in his formative years and made sure he never gave patronage to that urinal on the north side. He now lives in that neighborhood and is card carrying Sox fan. He's a good kid and I'm very proud.

Palehose Pete
06-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Excellent!

My girlfriend is a baseball fan and will attend the Sox games with me and root for them, too, but still breaks out her Wrigley Field visor when she goes to a Chubs game with her friends. I guess I must love her because I forgive her for that transgression.

patbooyah
06-15-2004, 02:14 AM
my girlfriend is a sox fan now. i tore her away from her cubs fan family!

we were at the game last week and we were getting a ball signed beforehand- she was leaning over, looking into the dugout and calling out player's first names! i was impressed when she called out "kelly" to kelly dransfeldt(too lazy to check spelling). i can see her calling out "Frank!" to thomas, i have no idea how she knew that "kelly" was his first name.

needless to say she won me for good. :redface: