PDA

View Full Version : Question about Timo's name...

StillMissOzzie
06-14-2004, 12:48 AM
...his LAST name, that is. Rooney and Farmer both pronounce his last name as "PAIR ez", with the accent on the 1st syllable, which also rhymes with hair, rather than the more common "Per REZZ", with the accent on the 2nd syllable and the 1st syllable rhymes with her.

Did I miss a memo here, or is Timo doing a Tony DorSETT here?

SMO
:?:

MisterB
06-14-2004, 12:58 AM
...his LAST name, that is. Rooney and Farmer both pronounce his last name as "PAIR ez", with the accent on the 1st syllable, which also rhymes with hair, rather than the more common "Per REZZ", with the accent on the 2nd syllable and the 1st syllable rhymes with her.

SMO
AFAIK the spanish pronunciation is PAIR-ez, and anglicised it's per-EZ. Like Chavez: spanish = sha-VEZ, anglo=CHA-vez (BTW the A's 3B was born in the US and uses the anglo pronunciation)

batmanZoSo
06-14-2004, 12:59 AM

SMO
As far as I know, the rule of Spanish is that the accent goes on the second to last syllable unless otherwise specified. Case in point, Valentín. The real way to pronounce HIS name is Val-en-TEEN, but nobody says it like that. I think with Perez it's just a case of announcers trying to pronounce it how they think is the "real" way, but I think it's really PerEZ..not PAIR-ez. There's no accent mark in the name.

doublem23
06-14-2004, 01:12 AM
As far as I know, the rule of Spanish is that the accent goes on the second to last syllable unless otherwise specified. Case in point, Valentín. The real way to pronounce HIS name is Val-en-TEEN, but nobody says it like that. I think with Perez it's just a case of announcers trying to pronounce it how they think is the "real" way, but I think it's really PerEZ..not PAIR-ez. There's no accent mark in the name.
Spanish words ending in a vowel, z, s, and maybe one or two other letters I can't remember right now the natural accent is on the second to last syllable.

If correctly pronounced in Spanish, the name is pronounced PAIR-ez.

bartmanisgod
06-14-2004, 02:08 AM
Rooney and Farmer also say PONson with the accent on the first syllable! Instead of PonSON!

Whitesox029
06-14-2004, 02:08 AM

SMO
:?:Interesting observation. Gene Honda also prounounces it PAIR-ez, which I assume is correct based on what MisterB is telling us.
Side Note: It's "Kon-UR-ko," not "Kon-AIR-ko" as Hawk says.
However, if it is a German name, the proper German pronounciation would be "Kon-AIR-ko", thus making "Kon-UR-ko" the americanized version. If it's not German though, then I have no idea.

HomeFish
06-14-2004, 02:14 AM
This is off a bit on a tangent, but is the guy we have in the minors who is set to be our next 5th starter Nunoz or Nuñoz? I've always read Nunoz, but people have a habit of leaving out the tilde, and Nunoz just sounds weird to me as a Spanish name.

fquaye149
06-14-2004, 02:45 AM
spanish words ending in z put the accent on the ultimate syllable.

That is why the word "lapiz" (pencil) has an accent over the A.

I only remember the rule for "z" endings and the fact that most words give the penult the accent if they dont' end in z

TimoPerez
06-14-2004, 02:39 PM
You guys don't need to worry about syllables and stuff like that. His name is Pérez. It has an accent in it, so it is correctly pronounced PEHR-ez, or PAIR-ez or whatever you want to say.:D:

Evolution169
06-14-2004, 04:53 PM
You guys don't need to worry about syllables and stuff like that. His name is Pérez. It has an accent in it, so it is correctly pronounced PEHR-ez, or PAIR-ez or whatever you want to say.:D: Exactamundo.

FYI, the pronunciation rules are:

Words ending in L, Z, R, or D = accent on final syllable.
Words ending in any other letter = accent on second to last syllable.

Accent marks can change which syllable is accented. Someone told me a nice mnemonic device to use to remember this. Think of the word "lizard". L,Z,R,D.

Rocky Soprano
06-14-2004, 04:57 PM
You guys don't need to worry about syllables and stuff like that. His name is Pérez. It has an accent in it, so it is correctly pronounced PEHR-ez, or PAIR-ez or whatever you want to say.:D:

He is correct.

I should know, my last name is Perez.

Tekijawa
06-14-2004, 05:05 PM
This is off a bit on a tangent, but is the guy we have in the minors who is set to be our next 5th starter Nunoz or Nuñoz? I've always read Nunoz, but people have a habit of leaving out the tilde, and Nunoz just sounds weird to me as a Spanish name.
HIs name is Munoz, that's probably why the name doesn't sound right...

DrummerGeorgefan
06-14-2004, 05:07 PM
I think the Chicago rules trump any other language rules in this city. Even if you gave most people the correct pronounciation it would still be basterdized.

SoxEd
06-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Just to further throw the cat among the pigeons, if his name were pronounced as it would be in Spain, it would be pronounced PER-eth.

For some reason the Latin/South American countries went with the Anglo pronunciation of the letters z and c, rather than their Spanish pronunciations.

Olé!

TimoPerez
06-14-2004, 06:06 PM
He is correct.

I should know, my last name is Perez.
:D:

jackbrohamer
06-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Words ending in L, Z, R, or D = accent on final syllable.
Words ending in any other letter = accent on second to last syllable.

So Valentin's name should be accented on the -len-?

Maracucho
06-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Actually, in Spanish any syllable can be the strong syllable, regardless of the letter the word ends with. The rules state if the words require an accent, depending on which is the strong syllable and the letter ending.

The last syllable has an accent if it is strong and the word ends in N, S or a vocal, however if it’s the strong syllable but ends in any other letter the accent is not placed.

The reverse applies if the next to last syllable is the strong syllable, if the word ends in any letter except N,S or a vocal the accent is placed, otherwise it is not placed.

If the third to last syllable is the strong one it is always accentuated.

So as you can see, since his last name is accentuated (Pérez), the correct pronunciation is PAIR- ez

If the word had no accent the correct way to say it would be Per REZZ.

Maracucho
06-14-2004, 07:33 PM
So Valentin's name should be accented on the -len-?
Not really, the correct spelling is Valentín, so the strong syllable is on the last I. The correct pronunciation is ValenTIN