PDA

View Full Version : Stood up in Appleton

Bucktown
06-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Last night the Class A baseball team inducted 4 new members into their hall of fame: Lamar Hoyt, Ron Kittle, Britt Burns and Cal Ripken, Sr. In promotions for the pre-game event it was advertised that the players were going to be there to be inducted. However, all 4 stood us up at the last minute with lame excuses. Oh well, at least I got a Cal Ripken Sr. bobble-head doll.

hold2dibber
06-13-2004, 09:41 PM
One of my fondest childhood memories is going up to Appleton for a game with my family, circa 1980 (?). When did they cease being a Sox affiliate?

fquaye149
06-13-2004, 09:51 PM
aren't the T-rats a mariners organization? Even back when they were the foxes. Why was Lamaar inducted.

By the way Bucktown, where are you from in Wisconsin?

Bucktown
06-13-2004, 09:53 PM
One of my fondest childhood memories is going up to Appleton for a game with my family, circa 1980 (?). When did they cease being a Sox affiliate?
They were a Sox affiliate from 1960 - 1987. Appleton baseball history (http://www.timberrattlers.com/about/history.aspx) can be found at www.timberrattlers.com (http://www.timberrattlers.com).

whitesoxwilkes
06-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Last night the Class A baseball team inducted 4 new members into their hall of fame: Lamar Hoyt, Ron Kittle, Britt Burns and Cal Ripken, Sr. In promotions for the pre-game event it was advertised that the players were going to be there to be inducted. However, all 4 stood us up at the last minute with lame excuses. Oh well, at least I got a Cal Ripken Sr. bobble-head doll.
Ripken Sr has a somewhat valid excuse...he passed aaway a few years ago.

Bucktown
06-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Ripken Sr has a somewhat valid excuse...he passed aaway a few years ago.His widow was there. Still, I thought it was kind of lame. She could have brought the urn.

Seriously, Vi Ripken was there and they read a letter about Cal Sr. from an old teammate. She said a very quick thanks, but at no point did they mention that Cal's season was over.

Thanks for getting me up to speed.

I am still disappointed that I didn't get to see a couple of my Sox heroes.

Bucktown
06-13-2004, 11:20 PM
aren't the T-rats a mariners organization? Even back when they were the foxes. Why was Lamaar inducted.

By the way Bucktown, where are you from in Wisconsin?Yes, we are a Mariners organization now. It is a great Class A club. Nomar's brother was with the club earlier, but he is gone now.

I live in Appleton.

npdempse
06-14-2004, 12:26 AM
Sounds like management made some promises they couldn't keep. Kittle is such an outgoing guy, hitting Soxfest and other events all the time, I can't believe he would just stand you guys up out there.