PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't retaliation =...

Tragg
09-21-2001, 08:15 AM
automatic ejection?
No doubt that Wells' pitch was dangerous.
Most other pitchers would have hit a batter too.
But aren't you supposed to be immediately tossed when you do that?
Why wasn't Petit?
Yankess playing by those rules that the NFL set up for the 49ers for about 10 years?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2001, 08:34 AM
Technically, it wasn't retaliation. The umpire gave a warning AFTER Pettitte hit Magglio. There was no warning after Kip hit Bernie Williams earlier in the inning.

It was the Sox's turn to get even. If they had, the pitcher and manager would have been ejected. The rule is meant as a deterrent, not that it ever stopped Phil Garner or Jeff Weaver from crying crocodile tears.

Tragg
09-21-2001, 08:51 AM
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

voodoochile
09-21-2001, 09:42 AM
I think they changed the rule this year where an ump can toss someone if he feels they are intentionally throwing at someone even if no warning has been given. I didn't see the game, so cannot comment on this particular incident, but thought a clarification might come in handy.

Kip maybe becomming dangerous. I swear he drilled a guy on purpose near the end of his 7 run first inning melt down the last time he was a starter. Did he get a little smile on his face after hitting Bernie? Seems to settle him down a bit when he does it, but maybe he should try :prozac

It would be easier on his teammates...

Paulwny
09-21-2001, 10:30 AM
Yank announcers, Mercer and McCarver felt Wells was trying to pitch inside, not intending to hit Williams. They felt Pettite hitting Maggs was retaliation and so does everyone who saw the game.

Jjav829
09-21-2001, 05:13 PM
Yes they did change the rule. An umpire no longer needs to warn the teams. If he would like to warn them and hope that works, then he can. Otherwise if he feels a pitcher threw at someone intentionally he can throw them out. I've see it happen about 100+ times this year. As for why Pettite wasn't ejected, I have no clue. Maybe the ump didn't feel he should eject him for whatever reason.