PDA

View Full Version : New Mascot?

HomeFish
06-13-2004, 02:51 PM
According to the pregame show, the White Sox are about to unveil "Southpaw", their new mascot. There's nothing about this on the main site, but I assume there will be after this is done.

Any information on what exactly Southpaw is? Wasn't that the name of the Fox-in-a-sox-uniform that we had around '99 or so?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-13-2004, 02:59 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :smile:

:R&R
"Pretty clever, Ribbie, changing your name like that!"
"I've been busting my ass as a car chamois for over 15 years now. Doing slapstick schtick at the ballpark sounds like a much better gig!"

HomeFish
06-13-2004, 03:09 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/community/mascot.jsp

He appears to be a fuzzy alligator of sosme kind.

Philo-Sox-er
06-13-2004, 03:15 PM
You can email Southpaw at: southpaw@chisox.com

jortafan
06-13-2004, 03:17 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when I'd wish for the return of Ribbie and/or Roobarb. But I'd take either one of them over this clownish thing.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-13-2004, 03:18 PM
He looks like a cross between Ribbie and Roobarb dipped in green dye.

I think the Sox are going to be hearing from Ribbie & Roobarb's lawyer. :redneck

"If he starts riding a trike, we're going to sue their asses!"

:)

Brian26
06-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Is this thing the illegitimate love child of Ribbie and the Phily Fanatic? Good grief. I like the name, though.

bennyw41
06-13-2004, 03:49 PM
I don't care that they have a mascot, Doesn't effect me, but what the hell is that thing?:?:

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 03:55 PM
I don't care that they have a mascot, Doesn't effect me, but what the hell is that thing?:?:
Scary!

HebrewHammer
06-13-2004, 04:26 PM
I guess they found a new position for Billy Koch....

DSpivack
06-13-2004, 04:52 PM
wow, Southpaw really is hideous

HomeFish
06-13-2004, 05:28 PM
I guess another left-hander overshadowed Southpaw's debut..

TomParrish79
06-13-2004, 05:33 PM
He looks like a fraggle

SOXSINCE'70
06-13-2004, 05:34 PM
According to the pregame show, the White Sox are about to unveil "Southpaw", their new mascot.

HELLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's time for yet another case of Dr. Dan Bernstein's "mascot cancer"!! Another victim must be claimed!!!!!!!!:redneck :redneck

Who do the Sox think they're kidding?? Mascots and "fan friendly" atmosphere don't bring a single die hard like myself out weekend after weekend.

OPEN THE WALLET,JERRY!!!!! LET KENNY ACQUIRE PITCHING!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry:

OEO Magglio
06-13-2004, 05:35 PM
I guess they found a new position for Billy Koch....LOL, this guy throws left handed though according to the website. I'm sure he can get more guys out then koch though.

soltrain21
06-13-2004, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=HomeFish]According to the pregame show, the White Sox are about to unveil "Southpaw", their new mascot.

It's time for yet another case of Dr. Dan Bernstein's "mascot cancer"!! Another victim must be claimed!!!!!!!!

Who do the Sox think they're kidding?? Mascots and "fan friendly" atmosphere don't bring a single die hard like myself out weekend after weekend.

Brings out the kids and families though, doesn't it? I see nothing wrong with the mascot. The kids will love him and that is who he is there for.

Jeez, funny how a MASCOT topic gets turned into how we need pitching. OF COURSE WE NEED PITCHING! It will come, quit beating the horse already.

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 05:41 PM

It's time for yet another case of Dr. Dan Bernstein's "mascot cancer"!! Another victim must be claimed!!!!!!!!:redneck :redneck

Here's the deal. The Sox are drawing about all the diehards that they're going to. It's the casual fan they're going after, and that's the group they're going to have to draw in if they're going to make the money many here think they'll need to in order to pursue high-priced talent.

inta
06-13-2004, 05:43 PM

yeah but nothing brings most "die hards" out week after week.

so the sox are trying to attract families and appeal to kids. big freakin deal.
god forbid they try to fill seats!

i never hang out at fundamentals so i could care less if we have a mascot.
doesnt bother me one bit, i'm all for having more kids growing up sox fans.

Bucktown
06-13-2004, 05:46 PM
I love him. That is a great name. A common baseball term that references the Sox (south) and an animal mascot (paw).

I just want to give him a big hug -- OK, I wouldn't go that far but it will make it easier to get my daughters to go to the game with me. A great move.

lths06
06-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Does anybody know if Southpaw will just be in the fundamentals area, or will he be out dancing on the dugouts and such? Also, why not have a different mascot, one that represents Chicago. How about Daisey the slaughterhouse cow? :redneck

inta
06-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Does anybody know if Southpaw will just be in the fundamentals area, or will he be out dancing on the dugouts and such? Also, why not have a different mascot, one that represents Chicago. How about Daisey the slaughterhouse cow? :redneck

How about Blago the Rat?

:D:

I'm pretty sure Southpaw will mostly be in fundamentals, especially once they build the new fundamentals deck in LF. Or they'll have him hang out on the concourse so kids and drunk girls can have their picture taken with him.

white sox bill
06-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks Brooks Boyer:(: !

hose
06-13-2004, 06:21 PM
The worst mascot of all time is still the Giants Crazy Crab.

http://rangers.siegler.net/images/ballparks/giants/giants_crazycrab_1984.jpg

SoxBoy14
06-13-2004, 06:47 PM
I think the Sox should focuse more on signing Maggs and Beltran and less on mini baseball fields and crazy mascots:angry:

mikef1331
06-13-2004, 06:53 PM
I thought the Red Sox were the ones with the green monster.

inta
06-13-2004, 06:54 PM
I think the Sox should focuse more on signing Maggs and Beltran and less on mini baseball fields and crazy mascots:angry:
gee, i had no idea public relations/promotions groups had anything to do with the signing of talent...
:redface:

actually the more fans the sox attract, the more we can spend on payroll and increase our odds of getting the talent you mentioned.

pinwheels3530
06-13-2004, 07:06 PM

Hey old man from the 70's, who gives a crap of you don't come out every weekend IT'S FOR THE KIDS. Their trying to create a better fan base than some of the old(" I want dick allen back in the line-up", I'll never go back until JR sells the team") grouchy, stubborn, I wake up complaining about everthing fan that you and some other fans are.:tongue:

NOT ANOTHER WHINING SOX FAN THREAD!!!!!!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:
SOME OF THE WORST FANS IN BASEBALL!!

soltrain21
06-13-2004, 07:06 PM

That is the most ridiculious statement ever. What does having a mascot have to do with resigning people?

Jeez people...

pinwheels3530
06-13-2004, 07:29 PM
yeah but nothing brings most "die hards" out week after week.

so the sox are trying to attract families and appeal to kids. big freakin deal.
god forbid they try to fill seats!

i never hang out at fundamentals so i could care less if we have a mascot.
doesnt bother me one bit, i'm all for having more kids growing up sox fans.
BIG FREAKIN DEAL there was about 34,000 at the park today mostly made up by families and kids. It was a great day for families with $1 kid tickets etc.....
First fans here complain that nobody comes to the games, then they complain when the park does get a great crowd to many kids etc, etc,...some people here need to stop bitching!!!

So feakin predictable on they drive home I knew somone here would start a thread complaining about the mascot so freakin predictable, I think someone even called Dave Willis on the postgame show bitching. I bet he felt exactly like I did after a huge sox victory where they take over first place, some sox fans start complaining about a mascot "SOME OF THE WORST FANS IN BASEBALL" maybe this statement is true the way some of you die hards act!!!

IF DIE HARDS FANS ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO THINK THEY HAVE A RIGHT TO GO TO THE GAMES AND HAVE THE SOX ORGANIZATION CATER TO THEM IT WILL BE A SAD SIGHT CAUSE THEY WILL BE ONLY A 1000 PEOPLE IN THE STANDS!!!:angry:

GregoryEtc
06-13-2004, 08:28 PM
http://www.thecapras.org/mcapra/muppets/images/kermit.jpg
"It ain't easy bein' green..."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/fan_forum/wallpapers/y2004/southpaw_800x600.jpg
"and my best feature of all, of course....is my green 'seat'!"

nitetrain8601
06-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Well you guys did say you liked green over blue, so the Sox orginazation decided to give you something green. Anyway, this is about a year or more in planning. They originally wanted him for the All-Star game last year since all the mascots are at the All-Star game every year.

Nick@Nite
06-13-2004, 08:38 PM
If his name is Southpaw, why is he (or she?) waving with his right hand?

JohnBasedowYoda
06-13-2004, 08:45 PM
i was Chris from alsip commenting on alsip fans and the new mascot during the postgame show if anyone cared. prolly not....:whiner:

voodoochile
06-13-2004, 08:51 PM
http://www.thecapras.org/mcapra/muppets/images/kermit.jpg
"It ain't easy bein' green..."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/fan_forum/wallpapers/y2004/southpaw_800x600.jpg
"and my best feature of all, of course....is my green 'seat'!"
Anyone else find it funny that Southpaw appears to be right handed?

South Side
06-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Ah, irony...

bennyw41
06-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Usually when they do those bio's, they at least tell what type of creature he is. Even if they make it up, I want to see what kind of species he is. But for those complaining about this "move"...get a life, its for the kids for god sakes.

FarWestChicago
06-13-2004, 09:17 PM
This (http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sf/history/sf_history_timeline_article.jsp?article=31) was a horrible mascot. Even though it was intentionally bad, it was bad. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/redneck.gif

IronFisk
06-13-2004, 09:22 PM
:o:

Alright, as a true "southpaw" myself, I find the fact that he is batting RIGHT FREAKING HANDED in his promo a tad offensive. I only said a TAD okay? Yeah, they say he's a switch hitter - whatever!

Sure hope the kiddies like him - personally, I'd just take a guy with a giant white sock over his head - I really don't care.

minastirith67
06-13-2004, 10:34 PM
This (http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sf/history/sf_history_timeline_article.jsp?article=31) was a horrible mascot. Even though it was intentionally bad, it was bad. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/redneck.gif

Does anyone know of any sites that discuss the story of Crazy Crab besides this one?

I feel sorry for the guy inside that costume.

FarWestChicago
06-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Does anyone know of any sites that discuss the story of Crazy Crab besides this one?

I feel sorry for the guy inside that costume.I googled "crazy crab giants" and that was the best I found. That guy used to get booed as much as Tom Lasorda. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

doublem23
06-13-2004, 10:42 PM
I got to say, if there's ever any proof that the main brass of the White Sox organization reads this site it's that they wait until things are going well to unviel things like this just to enjoy the pandemonium that ensues.

Sox are in first... Whateva... :supernana:

Nick@Nite
Too funny!

..."television commercials depicted manager Frank Robinson having to be restrained from attacking the poor crustacean"...

I'm sure Bill Veeck was kicking himself about not having this idea first!

mendozaln
Also, why not have a different mascot, one that represents Chicago. How about Daisey the slaughterhouse cow? :redneck
Noone's mentioned this post yet, so I want to give kudos. I've been laughing at this all day. Not so kid friendly, alas...

mike squires
06-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Great, something else for Moronetti, the cubune and cub fans to make fun of us about. I guess as a whole this isn't that big a deal. But if 1$ tickets, autographs and being able to run the bases on a major league field isn't incentive enough then stay at home...

woodenleg
06-13-2004, 11:19 PM
If his name is Southpaw, why is he (or she?) waving with his right hand? Maybe it has two left hands.

woodenleg
06-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Three pages of posts, and you guys haven't shed ANY light on what the hell this thing is. It is bright green. I say it crawled out of a toxic waste dump near Lake Calumet.

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Here is my nominee for worst current mascot. His name is Raymond and he works for the Devil Rays.

Jjav829
06-13-2004, 11:23 PM
i was Chris from alsip commenting on alsip fans and the new mascot during the postgame show if anyone cared. prolly not....:whiner:
Haha, I liked your call actually.

I have no problem with the new mascot. Sure it's weird looking, but it's not geared toward me or anyone else here. It's for the kids that come to the game. So if little Johnny or Mary likes seeing Southpaw, he/she may beg his/her parents to go to the Sox game.

So, is THIS the "big announcement"?

Vernam
06-13-2004, 11:25 PM
I went to high school with a guy -- he shall remain nameless! -- who was either Ribbie or Roobarb. I still can't remember which was which. Roobarb was the fat one, right? He was Ribbie, then. He had actually kind of campaigned for the gig, showing up at Comiskey in a duck costume, paying his own way a la Andy the Clown. Not to be snotty, but what a weird thing to aspire to . . . I seem to recall he did a stint at Disney World, too.

In the guy's defense, back then the San Diego Chicken was a real phenomenon, so I can sort of understand someone wanting that kind of adulation. But who wants to be the B-list mascot getting beer spilled on him and having his manhood questioned? :tongue:

I'm willing to give Southpaw a chance. So far Brooks hasn't let us down! :o: Anyway, complaining too much about a mascot reminds me of adult Star Wars fans who obsess over how lame Jar Jar Binks is. It's a kids' movie! The park is big enough for a furry green mutant and a World Series trophy.

VC

JB98
06-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Southpaw kind of looks like something that came out of somebody's nose. I couldn't help but laugh when he made his debut this afternoon. Still, I think it's great we have a mascot. I'm sure the kiddies will grow to love him.

I don't get the attitude of some of our so-called "diehard fans." I put myself in that category, since I'm at the park almost every home weekend. I can't understand why people get all in a huff about some of the new marketing techniques. It's baseball. Not life and death. Why not have a little fun?

Personally, I'm sick of having to take cheap shots from Cub fans about our lack of attendance. I'm in favor of anything that puts fans in seats at the Cell. Bigger crowds can only mean good things for the team's on-the-field performance, which is what I'm most concerned about.

Viva Magglio
06-13-2004, 11:39 PM
OMFG. This thing look like a green version of Barney!!!!

SoxxoS
06-14-2004, 12:06 AM
I kind of like it...he's growing on me.

StillMissOzzie
06-14-2004, 12:10 AM
I kind of like it...he's growing on me.
so does athlete's foot!

SMO

huskie26
06-14-2004, 12:15 AM
In the new Philadelphia park there is a place to make your own Phillie Phanatic run by Build a Bear workshop. Could "Sew your own Southpaw" be in the works for the renovations next year? Who am I kidding -- they'll sell stuffed ones from China for $30 bucks as not to upset diehards and baseball purists.

OurBitchinMinny
06-14-2004, 12:32 AM
If the sox are gonna have a mascot (which I dont care whether or not they do) it should be a billy goat of some sort.

TaylorStSox
06-14-2004, 12:37 AM
He's batting RH because he's a switch hitter. Come on guys. I thought you were better scouts than that. :tongue:

SaltyPretzel
06-14-2004, 12:45 AM
He looks like kind-bud. :cool:

dpbyron
06-14-2004, 01:15 AM
I love mascots. SOUTHPAW! :D:

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2004, 01:23 AM
I think the Sox should focuse more on signing Maggs and Beltran and less on mini baseball fields and crazy mascots:angry:I'm guessing that different parts of the organ-eye-zation work on contracts than mascots. At least I hope so.

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2004, 01:25 AM
I love mascots. SOUTHPAW! :D: I hate mascots.

CubKilla
06-14-2004, 01:45 AM
Here is my nominee for worst current mascot. His name is Raymond and he works for the Devil Rays.
Here's mine.....

:woo-woo

bartmanisgod
06-14-2004, 01:53 AM
Here's mine.....

:woo-woo
LOL:D: :D: :D:

owensmouth
06-14-2004, 03:45 AM
He appears to be a long haired frog. If he somehow helps us to win by seven runs a game, give him some more flies.

SSN721
06-14-2004, 07:45 AM

That is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I feel bad for the guy but if I was there when he was getting drilled with the resin bag or mocked by players and fans I couldn't stop myself from laughing. That thing is ridiculous.

jabrch
06-14-2004, 08:20 AM
KW is a terrible GM and JR is so cheap that the best they can do is this guy?

SOXSINCE'70
06-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Hey old man from the 70's, who gives a crap of you don't come out every weekend IT'S FOR THE KIDS. Their trying to create a better fan base than some of the old(" I want dick allen back in the line-up", I'll never go back until JR sells the team") grouchy, stubborn, I wake up complaining about everthing fan that you and some other fans are.:tongue:

NOT ANOTHER WHINING SOX FAN THREAD!!!!!!:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:
I am a weekend season ticket holder who will attend 30 or more games this year.And as far as old,I just turned 42.How old are you??Old enough to remember 1970,when the Sox won 56 games in 162 tries??I am not a whiner.
I just think sCrUBS trolls should stay off this board!!

hsnterprize
06-14-2004, 08:36 AM
You know something...all this griping about Southpaw is making me ill. Look, people...IT'S A FREAKIN' MASCOT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!! With as much as folks on this site complain about the Sox not doing enough to reach out to the people, now with the Sox actually doing something about that, you still want to gripe.

This is ridiculous, folks, and you really need to think here. How many times have people complained the Sox weren't represented in certain events like parades, festivals, and other gatherings? You remember how proud you felt when you saw the Sox coaches helping the kids in Utica rebuild their baseball fields after the tornadoes destroyed their town? Well...lemme ask y'all this...how would you feel as a parent why's teaching your kids to cheer for the Sox if your child smiled from ear to ear when Southpaw comes to play with him/her? Or how about a sick kid in a hospital getting cheered up because Southpaw went to that hospital?

Come on, y'all. Get a grip here. He looks funny...yes. But you know what...Ribbie and Rhubarb weren't exactly normal looking creatures either. I'm sure the Sox will do just fine with this one. They're spreading Sox Pride out there, and we shoudl support it. If the Cubbie lovers want to make fun of it, let 'em. They're best attempt at a mascot is an unemployed guy who yells "woo-woo" all day...and the Cubs aren't even nice enough to give this guy a job.

Cubs fans and Cubbie lovers in the media will have an even better reason to laugh when our team plays in late-October and their team, withOUT a mascot, is playing golf.

steff
06-14-2004, 08:43 AM
As long as he doesn't block my view of watching the game by dancing on the dugouts DURING the game.. I don't care one way or the other.. but.. it is ugly. :D:

Hokiesox
06-14-2004, 09:21 AM
I just saw Southpaw for the first time, and my initial thought was, "OMG! Snuffalupagus ate Kermit!"

Baby Fisk
06-14-2004, 09:51 AM
The name Southpaw is great, but good grief that thing is ugly. The only thing worse than mascots based on cartoonish animals is mascots that look like fugitives from the Island of Dr. Moreau.

So long as it doesn't terrify the kiddies, who cares?

jabrch
06-14-2004, 09:56 AM
HSN - dead on!

It shouldn't bother the hardcore fans a bit - just don't pay any attention to him. It will draw kids - and kids become teenage Sox fans - who become adult Sox fans - and season ticket holders. Who cares if he looks ugly? I am sure Brooks did his homework and did focus groups and that kids like Southpaw. They wouldn't do this otherwise. If they weren't gonna bring back Ribbie and Roobarb, I have no problem with something like this.

"We are waiting by the phone"

:reinsy
"You guys are old - and make too much. Southpaw signed for the league minimum"

:KW
"you guys are a bunch of motherf***ers!"

jabrch
06-14-2004, 09:56 AM
I just saw Southpaw for the first time, and my initial thought was, "OMG! Snuffalupagus ate Kermit!"

GregoryEtc
06-14-2004, 10:01 AM
"OMG! Snuffalupagus ate Kermit!"
....or not....

:kermit

inta
06-14-2004, 10:04 AM
thankfully it looks like the whiners about Southpaw tapered off... or just wisened up.

From today's sun\times:
NOW IT'S SOUTHPAW: The Sox new mascot was introduced Sunday on Kids' Day, but Southpaw, as he is known, won't be what Ribbie and Roobarb were to the Sox in the 1980s.
The green and yellow-hued mascot will be part of the team's community outreach program, making public appearances and visiting children's hospitals. He will spend his ballpark time on the concourse area and in the FUNdamentals skills area.

Jerko
06-14-2004, 10:13 AM
It looks like he did more than EAT Kermit......................

pinwheels3530
06-14-2004, 10:20 AM
I am a weekend season ticket holder who will attend 30 or more games this year.And as far as old,I just turned 42.How old are you??Old enough to remember 1970,when the Sox won 56 games in 162 tries??I am not a whiner.
I just think sCrUBS trolls should stay off this board!!

I am a season ticket holder as well and you were whining!!!

pinwheels3530
06-14-2004, 10:22 AM
That's funny!!!

BeerHandle
06-14-2004, 11:07 AM
I love that a Mascot can create such a lasting thread.

soxnut
06-14-2004, 11:13 AM

The mascot is not meant for you. If you don't like him, don't pay him any attention. It's just another part of adding to the White sox brand identity. What does the mascot have to do with Jerry and Kenny aquiring pitching anyway?

ewokpelts
06-14-2004, 11:29 AM
And to think I thought "Southpaw" was canned. The early "secret" promo scheds have giveaway dates centered around southpaw. When teh official list was announced, there were no southpaw giveaways, which made me breathe a sigh of relief. Well...time to suck in that air again, cuz southpaw's gunna stink up the joint.......but not as bad as koch-smocher.

Gene

GregoryEtc
06-14-2004, 12:22 PM
The mascot is not meant for you. If you don't like him, don't pay him any attention. It's just another part of adding to the White sox brand identity. What does the mascot have to do with Jerry and Kenny aquiring pitching anyway?
Well the guy in that suit will be making about $7 an hour...
so at 4 hours a game if you include an hour of pregame and 81 home games...
that's $2268 that we could use to get ourselves a quality 5th starter.

soxnut
06-14-2004, 12:40 PM
In the new Philadelphia park there is a place to make your own Phillie Phanatic run by Build a Bear workshop. Could "Sew your own Southpaw" be in the works for the renovations next year?
I saw that about the Phillies back in the winter and thought about that as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox did that, considering how "family friendly" they're trying to be. "Build A Bear" seems to be pretty popular at Navy Pier.

SoxBoy14
06-14-2004, 12:45 PM
I wonder if South Paw will receive the same treatment that Ribby and Rubar got, with the beer throwing and fist fights in the stands.

soxnut
06-14-2004, 12:46 PM
. Their trying to create a better fan base than some of the old(" I want dick allen back in the line-up", I'll never go back until JR sells the team") grouchy, stubborn, I wake up complaining about everthing fan that you and some other fans are.:tongue:

You are so right. I think it's time for a better fan base as well. Attitudes like the one previoulsy stated I think give the impression that Sox fans can be considered the worst fans in baseball. It's a shame.

Chrisaway
06-14-2004, 01:35 PM
I think we found our new 5th starter.

RichFitztightly
06-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Just for the record. This mascot thing was coming out before Brooks Boyer was hired. They told us about it when I went for training at Comiskey in March. They said he was going to be green and fuzzy and nobody was quite sure what he was but he was going to promote fitness. I'm guessing that's why he doesn't have that spare tire around his waist like most mascots.

maurice
06-14-2004, 01:46 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/fan_forum/wallpapers/y2004/southpaw_128x95.jpg
"The White Sox wolf ate Ribbie & Rubarb, got sick, and coughed me up."

GoSox2K3
06-14-2004, 01:59 PM
:reinsy For a $2000 fee, I'll let a fan wear the Southpaw costume for a 1/2 inning!

The mascot looks sort of lame to me, but WHO CARES?! The Sox are in 1st and a ton of people on this board are complaining about the mascot.

People who complain about Kids Days, the Fundamentals area, the mascot are being shortsighted. What better way to make a Sox fan for life than to give him/her a fond early memory of going to Sox games. And I know how you guys are going to reply: Hey if your 5 year old kid doesn't want to go to a game to sit there and fill out a scorecard, then he/she's not a real fan and should be sent to Wrigley!

MarkM2112
06-14-2004, 02:02 PM
I guess I don't mind the IDEA of a mascot so much as the one that they chose... I would rather see some sort of recognizable animal, such as the White Sox Wolf, or a fox, or otter, or something I can tell what it is by just a glance... not this thing... I can see my daughter asking me "What is that daddy?" I really don't have an answer... I DO like the NAME, however, tying in a baseball term with the south side... that's really clever... I realize that unlike other teams that actually HAVE an animal for their nickname, the name White Sox doesn't easily make you think of something apparent, but at least be creative... I like what seattle did with their moose... I think that is a clever way to tie yourselves in with the region...

SpringfldFan
06-14-2004, 02:04 PM
To be honest I think Southpaw is ugly at best and scary at worst, but I am not a kid so my opinion hardly matters (I have that clownaphobia thing anyway). I say let the mascot stay and quit the complaining. In fact I am tired of hearing all the complaining about the "extra" stuff the organization is adding to the Sox environment. If you cannot stand the mascot, the kiddie-park, dog-day, dot races, and whatever else - then I have a proposal for you. Why don't you just encourage the organization to put up a a few thousand bleachers and a lot of port-o-potties around a diamond in the middle of Grant park and call that the Sox home. Its cheap, has no distractions, and would free up plenty of money to invest in that starter of yours! Godalmighty, people!

pinwheels3530
06-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Just for the record. This mascot thing was coming out before Brooks Boyer was hired. They told us about it when I went for training at Comiskey in March. They said he was going to be green and fuzzy and nobody was quite sure what he was but he was going to promote fitness. I'm guessing that's why he doesn't have that spare tire around his waist like most mascots.

Southpaw promote fitness to Sox fans pleassseeee..........these fans complain that they have to walk up some stairs to go to the beer stand!:D:

maurice
06-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Sox fans certainly could use a fitness promotion. It seems like 90% of the fans in the OF are either under age 30 and skinny or over age 30 and obese. (Thank goodness the OF is loaded with women under age 30.) It's like there is some biological switch in most Americans that triggers near their 30th birthday and tells them to immediately double their weight. (Or maybe it's just the cumulative effect of years of MGD, churros, and various sausages.)

Then again, maybe the Sox should start the fitness promotion with their own employees, by placing their "trainer" on the Adkins Diet and by sending Paulie to the House of Speed.

Baby Fisk
06-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Then again, maybe the Sox should start the fitness promotion with their own employees, by placing their "trainer" on the Adkins Diet and by sending Paulie to the House of Speed.

:walnuts
"I like to run the bases!"

Chrisaway
06-14-2004, 05:24 PM
We should have a fox and call it "nellie"

SpringfldFan
06-14-2004, 05:27 PM
We should have a fox and call it "nellie"
Beautiful. That's a White Sox winner

Corlose 15
06-14-2004, 05:29 PM

Dave Wills said on the postgame sunday that southpaw isn't geared at all towards die hards but is more along the lines of something for the kids. He said don't expect him to get up and dance on the dugout or anything like that.

Rocky Soprano
06-14-2004, 05:31 PM
With the name "Southpaw" I would expect to see some kind of dog as the mascot.

How about a Black Lab. :D:

TornLabrum
06-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Only White Sox fans could whine enough to have seven pages of posts about a freakin' mascot! Some of us really need to get a life! (Note: This is my second post in this thread.)

AOEllis
06-14-2004, 11:17 PM
I am sorry if someone brought this up earlier, but I was too lazy to check. I liked the idea that Dan And Terry came up with this morning, "Thought Process, the White Sox Hawk".

MRKARNO
06-15-2004, 12:00 AM
Only White Sox fans could whine enough to have seven pages of posts about a freakin' mascot! Some of us really need to get a life! (Note: This is my second post in this thread.)
Well that's what makes us Sox fans. Mascots, Kids areas in left field, it's all the same.

MRKARNO
06-15-2004, 12:01 AM
:tomatoaward

Nellie_Fox
06-15-2004, 12:59 AM
We should have a fox and call it "nellie"I like it!

tstrike2000
06-21-2004, 09:14 AM

:walnuts It takes talent to run as slow as I do!

sld7c
06-24-2004, 11:11 PM
So here's an idea, which I'm told the Simpsons have already used for an episode, but I offer not completely in jest:
Why not bring a mascot up from the minors? Such as say Winston-Salem's Wally the Warthog? Only person on the field in the employ of the White Sox that was doing anything worth watching for the first half of the season (unfortunately missed the Hogs starter hitting three batters and walking two more). Heck they've got two Warthogs all they need is one. I'm all for the mascot; you need gimmicks so when you lose your fans don't feel like they completely shot $25 and it doesn't hurt if you're winning, but Southpaw this is the most moronic thing I've ever seen, look kids Oscar the Grouch's brother's in the major leagues. The whole "designed to appeal to kids" probably means that it'll be incredibly lame and he'll be ignored by the kids anyway. Can't see Southpaw turning a super soaker on some sorority girls in the first row like Wally and more's the pity.

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2004, 12:56 AM
As we were walking into Comiskey on Monday night, my 9 year-old niece asked "what's that thing?' I looked over, and it was Southpaw. I explained who he was and she said "how come he's green? Shouldn't he be black and white, like maybe a Dalmation?"

margiss
06-25-2004, 01:15 AM
There is a lot of bickering here from adults who should be focused on the game. Don't worry about the side show.

As for me, I have a Southpaw success story. A group of 20 were out on Monday to celebrate my 2 kids (3 and 7) birthdays. Nothing like instilling Sox Pride in the kids and developing the next generation of Sox fan.

Before the game my kids saw Southpaw in his Sunday debut and noted they thought he was cool. Taking that and running with it I sent an email to Southpaw requesting he stop by and wish the kids a happy birthday at the game. Southpaw replied to my email and showed up in our section for a half inning visit. Southpaw was great with the kids as he took pictures and signed little fliers for autographs. Call it what you want but the kids LOVED it!!!! Great job Southpaw.

As for the true issue, baseball, the kids seemed to lock in even greater to the game after Southpaw left thanks to their excitement and had the best time of any game they have been to in their short Cell careers. Of course we lost to Cleveland so it ended on a sour note.

Let's all be adults and watch the game and teach it to our kids. Let Southpaw do his thing for the kids and remember that you would have a different perspective from your kids eyes.

Sox baseball . . . fun for one and all. Go SOX!!!!

HomeFish
06-25-2004, 01:18 AM
I met Southpaw during the second inning on Tuesday outside of the US Cellular store. My friend and I bought bottles of water and toasted him; he then pointed at us and nodded. It was a great honor.

The funniest part was when he walked over to a Cleveland fan who was smoking nearby and consoled him.

voodoochile
06-25-2004, 09:54 AM
There is a lot of bickering here from adults who should be focused on the game. Don't worry about the side show.

As for me, I have a Southpaw success story. A group of 20 were out on Monday to celebrate my 2 kids (3 and 7) birthdays. Nothing like instilling Sox Pride in the kids and developing the next generation of Sox fan.

Before the game my kids saw Southpaw in his Sunday debut and noted they thought he was cool. Taking that and running with it I sent an email to Southpaw requesting he stop by and wish the kids a happy birthday at the game. Southpaw replied to my email and showed up in our section for a half inning visit. Southpaw was great with the kids as he took pictures and signed little fliers for autographs. Call it what you want but the kids LOVED it!!!! Great job Southpaw.

As for the true issue, baseball, the kids seemed to lock in even greater to the game after Southpaw left thanks to their excitement and had the best time of any game they have been to in their short Cell careers. Of course we lost to Cleveland so it ended on a sour note.

Let's all be adults and watch the game and teach it to our kids. Let Southpaw do his thing for the kids and remember that you would have a different perspective from your kids eyes.

Great Story and very true... Welcome Aboard! :D:

Fenway
06-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Suddenly our mascot doesn't look that bad....

http://mlb.mlb.com/bos/photo/ph_team_mascot.jpg

Iwritecode
06-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Maybe this was brought up already (I didn't read the whole thread) but I noticed this on the Sox main page:

Is Southpaw a switch-hitter or is this artist just retarded?

HomeFish
06-25-2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah, the website has him down as a switch-hitter.

VenturaSoxFan23
06-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Unwritten rules: the worse the Sox are, the more appealing the mascot. If you have an ugly mascot, you got yourself a good ballclub and have more important things to worry about than what he looks like.

I can't believe I missed this post. :redface:
I met the San Diego Chicken in February 1978. I was 3, on vacation to visit my aunt in San Diego. She gave me an old hand-me-down shirt my older cousin outgrew that had his picture plugging a local radio station; I think it was KGB101. It was given to me so I would stand out when he walked by at a parade we attended.
So, he was the KGB101 Chicken to me. Still is, actually. :D:

The Sox were good when Ribbie and Roobarb existed. They were ugly as sin. (But we still have the stuffed toys.) Waldo was thought of when the team wasn't so good. When we get back to sub-.500 seasons, you will have your Nellie, the White Sox Fox.

In the meantime, all hail Southpaw the Bleacher Creature. May his reign be long and prosperous!:dtroll:

Cuckdafubs
06-28-2004, 01:13 PM
We used to have that fox as a mascot? Did he have a name? btw, was southpaw at the cubs series, cuz i went to all 3 and didnt c him

markp8867
06-28-2004, 01:32 PM

Finally someone gets it! I can't believe so many people are upset about a mascot. If it gets kids more interested in White Sox Baseball then I am all for it!

TornLabrum
06-28-2004, 04:00 PM
We used to have that fox as a mascot? Did he have a name? btw, was southpaw at the cubs series, cuz i went to all 3 and didnt c him
He wasn't the club mascot and he wasn't a fox. He was the mascot of the Sox kids fan club the Silver and Black Pack. His name was "Waldo the White Sox Wolf."

BackInBlack
06-28-2004, 10:13 PM
I feel as though the White Sox have ignored one of their "biggest" in-house assets when it comes to considering new mascots. Think about it. Can you think of a more qualified candidate than a certain Herm Schneider?

silhouette
06-29-2004, 01:14 AM

Thank you, I totally agree with you. These kids today could be die-hard Sox fans in the future. We need to get as many people in the stadium as we can! Let the Cub fans talk all they want about the mascot.

Yes it is cuteness but that cuteness is only a molehill compared to the Mt. Everest-size of cuteness that the Cubs constantly create. Dont' believe me, take a look at this page: http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/giveaways.htm

The green may look awful but at least he isn't rainbow colored....
Then he would have no business being here.

silhouette
06-29-2004, 01:28 AM
Yeah, the website has him down as a switch-hitter.

So he is a "switch-hitter".

Like there's more than enough of THOSE in Lakeview...

Anyways if the Cubs had a mascot (they really don't have to look too hard, there's more than enough clowns in Wrigley) it would probably be this:

pinwheels3530
06-29-2004, 04:35 AM

Yes he was at the sox/cubs series in the Fundemental area signing autographs my kid got one. He really doesn't look bad up close!