PDA

View Full Version : Hey Wilkes!!!!!

hsnterprize
06-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Mike,

I read your profile, and you say you're a "converted White Sox fan." You probably already mentioned this sometime before, but could you share with us exactly how you converted from drinking Cubbie-Kool Aid to "knowing better" as I like to say?

Thanks.

whitesoxwilkes
06-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Mike,

I read your profile, and you say you're a "converted White Sox fan." You probably already mentioned this sometime before, but could you share with us exactly how you converted from drinking Cubbie-Kool Aid to "knowing better" as I like to say?

Thanks.
Hey Harlin, glad you asked.

I grew up in upstate NY, where my baseball loyalties were split between the Orioles (since they had a AAA team in my hometown), the Yankees (because they were from NY and everyone else liked them) and alas, the Flubs, since my best friend's Mom was from Park Ridge and a diehard fan. I used to watch the Nort'siders on WGN in the afternoons and the Yankees on WPIX at night.

Moved out here in 1993, and made it a point to start going to the Urinal during summers when I was home from school. It was cool to be at a place that many people only dream of going to...but as time wore on, I started to realize the only reason I was going there was to chase skirts, drink Old Style, and maybe pay a little smidge of attention to the game I'd loved and played since I was a kid. (still kept score at every game though). It then dawned on me that there were 38,000 other idiots there doing the same thing...lemmings, all of them!

I started hanging out with my buddy Russell in late 1999. He's been a huge Sox and Cards fan since he was a kid and had me converted just in time for when the Sox won the division back in 2000. From then on, I was roped in and shifted my loyalties to the South Side.

I've been a season ticket holder for 3 years now, and made it to 50+ games last year (and 20 already this year)...and wouldn't trade my love of the Sox for anything in the world.

And as a postscript...my girlfriend is from the Minneapolis suburbs, and used to be a twins fan until she met me...so truly I am spreading the White Sox gospel. AMEN!

:supernana:

Any other converted Chub fans out there? STEP ON UP AND TESTIFY!

pinwheels3530
06-13-2004, 06:40 PM

I grew up in upstate NY, where my baseball loyalties were split between the Orioles (since they had a AAA team in my hometown), the Yankees (because they were from NY and everyone else liked them) and alas, the Flubs, since my best friend's Mom was from Park Ridge and a diehard fan. I used to watch the Nort'siders on WGN in the afternoons and the Yankees on WPIX at night.

Moved out here in 1993, and made it a point to start going to the Urinal during summers when I was home from school. It was cool to be at a place that many people only dream of going to...but as time wore on, I started to realize the only reason I was going there was to chase skirts, drink Old Style, and maybe pay a little smidge of attention to the game I'd loved and played since I was a kid. (still kept score at every game though). It then dawned on me that there were 38,000 other idiots there doing the same thing...lemmings, all of them!

I started hanging out with my buddy Russell in late 1999. He's been a huge Sox and Cards fan since he was a kid and had me converted just in time for when the Sox won the division back in 2000. From then on, I was roped in and shifted my loyalties to the South Side.

I've been a season ticket holder for 3 years now, and made it to 50+ games last year (and 20 already this year)...and wouldn't trade my love of the Sox for anything in the world.

And as a postscript...my girlfriend is from the Minneapolis suburbs, and used to be a twins fan until she met me...so truly I am spreading the White Sox gospel. AMEN!

Beautiful story, one soul saved!!!!!:rolleyes: :gulp:

voodoochile
06-13-2004, 06:45 PM

Lots of us around here, including me and (say it ain't so) PHG hisownbadself...

I moved to Chicago in 1968 at the tender age of 5. When I started following baseball, my dad took us to both teams, but during my late grade school years, I settled on the flubbies and followed them closedly. So much so that one my best friend in the whole world still reminds me that he is a flubbie fan because of me.

Then came 1979. Buckner led the league in avg. Kingman led the league in HR and RBI and Bruce Sutter tied the national league record for saves. The flubbies finished... (drum roll please)... 5th... (sound of glass shattering).

Mike Royko wrote a series of columns stating that he was quitting the team. I was impressionable, and I agreed that the team had proven that they were helpless, hopeless and in general hapless and probably would remain thusly for a long long time. I quit, cold turkey and signed up for the Sox bandwagon. I have been riding shotgun ever since.

I try to take it easy on the poor flubbie faithful though. Some of them are my closest friends. I know where my loyaltys lie... On the south side of Chicago, in the baddest part of town...:supernana:

batmanZoSo
06-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Lots of us around here, including me and (say it ain't so) PHG hisownbadself...

I moved to Chicago in 1968 at the tender age of 5. When I started following baseball, my dad took us to both teams, but during my late grade school years, I settled on the flubbies and followed them closedly. So much so that one my best friend in the whole world still reminds me that he is a flubbie fan because of me.

Then came 1979. Buckner led the league in avg. Kingman led the league in HR and RBI and Bruce Sutter tied the national league record for saves. The flubbies finished... (drum roll please)... 5th... (sound of glass shattering).

Mike Royko wrote a series of columns stating that he was quitting the team. I was impressionable, and I agreed that the team had proven that they were helpless, hopeless and in general hapless and probably would remain thusly for a long long time. I quit, cold turkey and signed up for the Sox bandwagon. I have been riding shotgun ever since.

I try to take it easy on the poor flubbie faithful though. Some of them are my closest friends. I know where my loyaltys lie... On the south side of Chicago, in the baddest part of town...:supernana:
I was split between the two at age 9, more leaned toward the cubs because they were on, I had no cable and my family are all cub fans. Never hated the Sox, and never understood then why anyone would. But then one magical day in August I saw Wilson Alvarez throw a no-hitter over dubya gee en. I first noticed Frank and the Sox winning ways and became an exclusive Sox fan over the next year.

hsnterprize
06-13-2004, 07:02 PM
To tell you the truth, Mike...so some extent, I'm somewhat of a "redeemed Chub fan" myself. Not that I was brought up to like the Cubs. Actually, I'd say the first time I really decided to go "one way or the other" was back when I was a kid, when I remember my dad telling me he liked the Sox more than the Cubs. He wasn't a Sox "fanatic", but he, like me, could relate more to the "working man" mentality the Sox seemed to lean towards instead of the "hip, trendy, in-crowd" folks the Cubs were getting to back in the 80's. In spite of believing the hype, and ultimately crying in '84 when the Cubs lost to San Diego, I've been pretty stuck to the Sox. That REALLY cemented back in the mid 80's when I was in high school. Too many "in-crowd" kids going for the Cubs. There was this one girl named Jenny who was a die-hard Cubs fan...but she was more the "exception" rather than the rule. She actually knew her stuff about the Cubs and why, in her opinion, the National League was better than the American League. She was fun to know, and at last I saw of her, she's writing for a Lansing, Michigan paper's sports section, and she's a wife and mother. She went to Michigan State for college, and she's been in Lansing ever since.

Unfortunately, while I was in the service, I started falling for the "root for both teams" crap. Mainly because so many people automatically associated Chicago baseball with the Cubs. There was one south sider I knew who I went to basic training with, and I don't know who he rooted for. But, when I bragged on how great Chicago was, many other soldiers thought of either Al Capone, Michael Jordan, or the Cubs and Wrigley Field. So, if you can't beat 'em, join em. And at that same time, the retro ballpark boom was just getting started, as many national sports reporters were going ga-ga over places like Oriole Park in Baltimore, while the new Comiskey Park went from the ballpark penthouse to the outhouse in one season.

Once I got out and came back home in 1993 foir good, I realized the error of my ways, and went to the Sox full-time. In fact, a short time ago, I was on my way to a news conference when I bumped into a high school buddy of mine who's now a lawyer. After some quick small talk, he asked me, "Are you still a Sox fan?" I told him, "you doggone right."

Thus, this Sox fan cemented his loyalty to the South Siders, and it hasn't...nor will it ever waiver...even if the Scrubs...God Forbid, get into the World Series.

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2004, 08:50 AM
I'm a converted St. Louis Cardinals fan. I grew up in Springfield, IL, and attended a Springfield Redbirds game in 81 or 82. I was overjoyed when the Cards won it all in 82. I believe that in 80 or 81 my grandmother bought me a Cubs hat, but I never wore it and never joined the dark side. My family moved to Chicago in 83, just in time to jump on the Winnin' Ugly bandwagon. I've been a Sox fan since then. :bandance:

alohafri
06-14-2004, 01:40 PM
I grew up in the Quad-Cities (on the Mississippi at the Iowa border) and didn't even know the Sox existed (they were not on radio or TV). I hung out with my brother a lot and he was a scrub fan so I just naturally went along with that. Then I went to NIU and dated and eventually married a Sox fan from the "sout-wet side, near po-waski over by dere" and went to the old Comiskey park and loved it....I even met Harry Caray after a game one day and he autographed something (can't remember what it was or where it is now) for my son.
I'm now married to Mr. Aloha, another die-hard Sox fan. Over the years since college I've developed quite a big distaste for all things scrubby.

PS--I'm also happy to report that I've been weaning my brother off of the cubbie kool-aid and he's making good progress on his recovery from that poison.

---MRS. ALOHA

HomeFish
06-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Being a native of the northwest side and living right off Addison, where I could easily catch the bus to that other Chicago ballpark everday, I naturally grew up assuming I was a Cub fan, although, thankfully, I never acted on this, apart from briefly using a Cubs wallet that my father had abandoned. (My father is a whole different story; when he first came to the United States some of his coworkers took him to a Cub game to introduce him to baseball; he saw the Cubs blow a late-inning lead on a really bad error and promptly decided not to bother with Chicago baseball. He remains apathetic about both teams to this day)

Then came June of 1999. I made my first-ever trip to Wrigley Field for the first game of the Sox/Cubs series. I went with a bunch of Cub fas I counted among my friends, cracking jokes about the south side and Sox fans all the way. At th entereance to the section I had tickets in, there was a man in a Sox jersey who asked everyone who entered who they were cheering for. Upon coming in, I clearly told him "Cubs."

The game started. The White Sox went ahead. The fan who had asked us all earlier was still in the section, doing the same thing to passer-bys. He mentioned that his name was "Ernie", or at least that they could call him that. Then it started raining. Hard. There were huge puddles forming on the tarp; in fact, one guy ran onto the field and started swimming on top of the tarp. The game sat there uncanceled for well over an hour. The entire situation simply disgusted me. The Cardinals game was being shown on TV, and, strangely enough, I started cheering for them. Then, when we decided to leave the section, Ernie was still there. Noticibly drunk, he asked me again who I was cheering for. This time, for some reason, I said "White Sox". He tried to high five me but missed.

Sometimes I wonder who he was and what's happened to him since.

Hondo
06-14-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm from McKinley Park(35th and Damen) but most of the family on my mom's side is from Canaryville and they're ALL Cubs fans. It breaks my heart. I especially am upset at my cousin Justin who is a few years younger than I am. I took that little SOB to games all the time when I was old enough to drive and go into town and how does he repay me??? He's a freakin cubs fan.

Great sidebar. I was at my cousin Rusell's wedding out in Rolling Meadows and his brother, my cousin Johnny was giving the best man speech and after wishing him luck and good health and all that jazz he said, "And here's to a White Sox world series."

The few Sox fans in there(including myself) went nuts. You could hear groans though.

itsnotrequired
06-14-2004, 02:30 PM
I moved from Wisconsin to Chicago only three years ago. Having not grown up here, I had the "luxury" of choosing a team to root for. I was a passive Cubs fan my first year here but after seeing the stupid behavior at Wrigley and all the crappy traffic near my place (living on Addison, near Damen), I turned to the Sox this year. Moving to the South Side this fall won't hurt either!

Cheering for the Bears, however, hasn't caught on with me yet. Too much Green & Gold in my veins.:rolleyes:

Tekijawa
06-14-2004, 02:38 PM
I grew up in the Quad-Cities (on the Mississippi at the Iowa border) and didn't even know the Sox existed (they were not on radio or TV). I hung out with my brother a lot and he was a scrub fan so I just naturally went along with that. Then I went to NIU and dated and eventually married a Sox fan from the "sout-wet side, near po-waski over by dere" and went to the old Comiskey park and loved it

---MRS. ALOHA
You are me Backwards... Although I've been a Sox fan since everyone else was a Cubs fan in '84 in grade school... I've always gone against the grain some how. But I grew up in DeKalb (N.I.U) my dad is a professor there, and went to college in the QCA (Augustana) If you don't mind me asking when did you graduate H.S. we might have mutual friends and Enimies from both places

BigEdWalsh
06-14-2004, 02:55 PM
I was born and raised in the western suburbs. I was 6 years old in Louie Aparicio's rookie year and that's when I fell in love with baseball. Louie was my favorite player and I never liked any team but the White Sox. That is until the Mets came along and I became sort of a Mets fan.

My best friend was a Cubs fan so I got dragged along to Cub games throughout my youth, but that was okay I just rooted for whoever they were playing. I made him go to many a Sox game though. And yes, I remember when Wrigley Field might only have a few thousand fans watching the hapless Cubs. Trust me, they haven't always packed 'em in. They didn't officially become "loveable" until the very late 60's and they stole that whole "loveable" thing from the Mets.

I find it real cool that some of you guys are converts.:bandance:
It's nice that you've seen the light.:)