PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie getting tossed

bartmanisgod
06-13-2004, 12:18 PM
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but how about Ozzie going to bat for Loaizia and getting tossed yesterday. He was out there quite a while...I'm sure because the ump couldn't understand a word he was saying!:D:

Anyways two pitches later Esty threw the same exact pitch and got the call for a HUGE strikeout! It's nice to see a manager who knows what the hell he's doing other than last year when totem pole manuel would run his ass out there and as soon as the ump rung him up he walked into the clubhouse!

WAY TO GO OZZIE!!!! WE HAVING FUNG!!!!

SoxBoy14
06-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Good job for actually making a difference out there Ozzie! I thought it was hilarious how the entire place was chanting OZZIE OZZIE. The only bad part of Ozzie being tossed out of the game is that Baines is in charge of the game and he looks like he's asleep with his eyes open.

TornLabrum
06-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Good job for actually making a difference out there Ozzie! I thought it was hilarious how the entire place was chanting OZZIE OZZIE. The only bad part of Ozzie being tossed out of the game is that Baines is in charge of the game and he looks like he's asleep with his eyes open.
Don't think for a moment that Baines was running the club. The only manager I've ever heard of who let his bench coach actually run the club after getting tossed was Manuel.

What managers have ALWAYS done is stay out of sight and run the game from the runway to the clubhouse.

TomParrish79
06-13-2004, 12:28 PM
I loved it when he came out of the dugout, and started laughing when the fans went nuts after he got tossed.

HomeFish
06-13-2004, 12:30 PM

Was there ever a JERRY JERRY chant that didn't end with "you suck!"?

bafiarocks03
06-13-2004, 12:43 PM
I was so happy when he came out there, ive been waiting all year for him to argue!! Great Job Ozzie!

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Don't think for a moment that Baines was running the club. The only manager I've ever heard of who let his bench coach actually run the club after getting tossed was Manuel.

What managers have ALWAYS done is stay out of sight and run the game from the runway to the clubhouse.
Bobby Valentine actually tried to stay in the dugout a few times after getting tossed. Once, he put on one of those plastic Charlie Chaplin disguises. The umps discovered him and he was given a suspension. Later that same year, he was thrown out of a crucial game against the Braves, so he started crawling around the dugout in order to avoid being seen. It was hilarious.

DrummerGeorgefan
06-13-2004, 08:32 PM
I was glad to see Ozzie go out there. From watching the game, I think he was standing up for someone who was jabbering from the dugout. I like that move by him. Like he said in the beginning, he'll be the goat for the team. A real stand up move and I think what ever person was shooting of their mouth will owe ozzie much respect

BKozi
06-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Bobby Valentine actually tried to stay in the dugout a few times after getting tossed. Once, he put on one of those plastic Charlie Chaplin disguises. The umps discovered him and he was given a suspension. Later that same year, he was thrown out of a crucial game against the Braves, so he started crawling around the dugout in order to avoid being seen. It was hilarious.
I realize that this is an Ozzie thread, but I HATE, I repeat HATE Bobby Valentine. I hated him before but the pot smoking press conference a few years ago when he was pretending to be smoking pot just put it over the top. Plus, when he was on BBall Tonight, somehow he thought that he was doing ESPN a favor by appearing on their little show. If anybody questioned his "baseball knowledge", he would get defensive. I remember when he tried hiding in the dugout. It may have been somewhat humerous, but it did nothing for my opinion of him at the time.

To keep with the theme though, I was proud of Ozzie the other night too. I'm not a big one for managers argueing with umps, because most times it's pointless (like Cox argueing FT's homer last night), but in this case it obviously helped ELo calm down and get some calls.

doublem23
06-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Was there ever a JERRY JERRY chant that didn't end with "you suck!"?
Probably in 2000.

:jerry
I was a god among men then...

mike squires
06-13-2004, 10:11 PM
I too was surprized that this was Ozzies first big confrontation with an umpire. I thought he would have been rung up long before this. It pumped the crowd up which in turn pumps the team up. Kudos to the ump as well. He didn't do anything to show Ozzie up and let him have his say even after being tossed.

AnkleSox
06-13-2004, 10:33 PM
I think it was hilarious when the ball was fouled off and hit the ump right in the face (well with the mask on), and the whole crowd started cheering. That was one of the largest and most enthusiastic crowds at Comiskey I've seen since the 1993 season, and there wasnt much hostility at all. I hope the rest of the year continues this way, especially with the attendance on a full price day after the Sox had just lost their last 2 games.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2004, 10:46 PM
I realize that this is an Ozzie thread, but I HATE, I repeat HATE Bobby Valentine. I hated him before but the pot smoking press conference a few years ago when he was pretending to be smoking pot just put it over the top. Plus, when he was on BBall Tonight, somehow he thought that he was doing ESPN a favor by appearing on their little show. If anybody questioned his "baseball knowledge", he would get defensive. I remember when he tried hiding in the dugout. It may have been somewhat humerous, but it did nothing for my opinion of him at the time.

To keep with the theme though, I was proud of Ozzie the other night too. I'm not a big one for managers argueing with umps, because most times it's pointless (like Cox argueing FT's homer last night), but in this case it obviously helped ELo calm down and get some calls.
I don't like him, either. In fact, I think he's one of the most overrated managers in the history of baseball. He managed two teams (Rangers and Mets) that were loaded with talent, and he managed to reach the post-season only twice.

elrod
06-13-2004, 11:16 PM
I think Bobby V was a fantastic manager. He came into New York and took a team that was in the dumper from 1992-1996 and made them competitive. The 1997 Mets won 88 games with a lineup of Alfonzo, Baerga, Olerud (comeback year), Butch Huskey, Bernard Gilkey, Alex Ochoa, Rey Ordonez and assorted other nobodies. The pitching staff was equally mediocre. Yet they stayed in contention for the Wild Card all year. In 1998 they got Leiter and Piazza and still only won 88 games, thanks to a late-season collapse against the Braves (allowing the damnCubs to win the Wild Card). But in 1999 that team won the Wild Card (barely in 1999 but winning key games in the end), the NLDS and took the Braves deep in the NLCS. Then they went to the WS in 2000. The Mets were not loaded with talent. They didn't start loading up on free agents and high-priced trades until 2000, most of which were disasters. Bobby Valentine was a real bitch to his players but he got them to play hard. His luck ran out in 2002 (thanks to some atrocious decisions in the front office) but he was a good manager.

MarkM2112
06-14-2004, 02:14 PM
I think it was hilarious when the ball was fouled off and hit the ump right in the face (well with the mask on), and the whole crowd started cheering. That was one of the largest and most enthusiastic crowds at Comiskey I've seen since the 1993 season, and there wasnt much hostility at all. I hope the rest of the year continues this way, especially with the attendance on a full price day after the Sox had just lost their last 2 games.
Heh! THAT was the BEST!!! Can you say "instant karma"? After that happened, and the crowd started cheering wildly, the ump had this smile on his face as if he was thinking "Yeah, I guess I deserved that..." :tongue: