PDA

View Full Version : Would we trade Crede?

HomerCoach
06-13-2004, 11:48 AM
With KW's "win now" attitude this year, could Crede be packaged with some combo of Rowand, Harris?, Borchard, Rauch, Wunsch, or Diaz for Garcia or Beltran or Sheets or Randy Johnson or Steve Finley? :wink:

CHISOXFAN13
06-13-2004, 11:54 AM
With KW's "win now" attitude this year, could Crede be packaged with some combo of Rowand, Harris?, Borchard, Rauch, Wunsch, or Diaz for Garcia or Beltran or Sheets or Randy Johnson or Steve Finley? :wink:
who plays third then?

SoxBoy14
06-13-2004, 12:00 PM
who plays third then?
Can't Uribe or Valentin play third?

RedPinStripes
06-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Can't Uribe or Valentin play third?
It would be nice to have a spot for Uribe when Maggs gets back. I'd put Uribe at 3rd. Even though it's a few years away, you can see what the Sox think of Crede. Wasnt out #1 pick a 3b this year?

DSpivack
06-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Crede I understand trading, not necessarily in support of, but understand.

But Willie seems really important to this team right now the way that he is playing. A very surprisingly good leadoff man.

HomerCoach
06-13-2004, 12:08 PM
who plays third then? I say we go after Johnson and Finley, offer up a package of these players not including Harris.

Down the stretch would be:
2b Harris
3b Uribe
1b Thomas
RF Maggs
LF Lee
CF Finley
DH Konerko
SS Valentin
C Olivo

Johnson
Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Schoenweis

Rotation is amazing and Defense is improved with the addition of Finley (even with the loss of Crede) Just ideas, no chastising :rolleyes:

OEO Magglio
06-13-2004, 12:12 PM
With KW's "win now" attitude this year, could Crede be packaged with some combo of Rowand, Harris?, Borchard, Rauch, Wunsch, or Diaz for Garcia or Beltran or Sheets or Randy Johnson or Steve Finley? :wink:With kenny unwillingy to trade reed for borchard it seems like crede would be an obvious choice for trade. But willie harris no way, he's the teams best hitter right now and a great leadoff hitter. Crede could definitely go especially if it was in a deal for a centerfielder, then you just move uribe to third. I don't want to give up on crede yet but if the deal is right he might be trade bait.

SoxBoy14
06-13-2004, 12:16 PM
I say we go after Johnson and Finley, offer up a package of these players not including Harris.

Down the stretch would be:
2b Harris
3b Uribe
1b Thomas
RF Maggs
LF Lee
CF Finley
DH Konerko
SS Valentin
C Olivo

Johnson
Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Schoenweis

Rotation is amazing and Defense is improved with the addition of Finley (even with the loss of Crede) Just ideas, no chastising :rolleyes:
Why should we go after Johnson? He's probably going to retire in about a year or two, why waste 10 million on a one year pitcher? Also why would Garland be ahead of Schoenweis?

HomerCoach
06-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Why should we go after Johnson? He's probably going to retire in about a year or two, why waste 10 million on a one year pitcher? Also why would Garland be ahead of Schoenweis?
If you check the first post, I'm refering to KW's "win now" attitude, Randy Johnson is a "win now" guy. And Garland is ahead of Schoenweis in our rotation now.

Philo-Sox-er
06-13-2004, 12:37 PM
Maybe it is to increase his value, but the Diamondbacks have said over and over that they are not trading Johnson. He himself has said he wants to stay in Arizona. He is a family man and I think his family really likes Arizona. Since he will have the right to veto any trade, I doubt he would accept it unless it was very evident we were playoff bound.

But I like getting him and Finley, certainly. Maybe some of you know that Steve Finley played his college baseball for Southern Illinois University at Carbondale--Salukis! So he has a tie to the region and may draw some additional fan support.

Kilroy
06-13-2004, 12:46 PM
With KW's "win now" attitude this year, could Crede be packaged with some combo of Rowand, Harris?, Borchard, Rauch, Wunsch, or Diaz for Garcia or Beltran or Sheets or Randy Johnson or Steve Finley? :wink:Even tho I've taken to calling him Joe "Cruddy", I wouldn't tade him. Right now, he's giving us what you usually get from a ss or 2b. Pretty good defense, not much hitting, , and we get much better from the average ss or 2b from Uribe, Valentin and Willie. The thing is, we know he's capable of hitting much better. I think we can ride him for a while. I know he'll come out of it.

Soxfest
06-13-2004, 02:31 PM
By drafting Fields I think Crede could be trade bait

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2004, 05:09 PM
I would not trade Crede. His defense is too important at the hot corner. Also, it seems that he's beginning to break out of his early-season slump. For goodness sake, he has 10 homers already. No, his average isn't great, but he has shown himself capable of hitting for a much higher average over extended periods of time, especially during the second half of a season. Trading him would be a mistake, both for the short-term and for the long-term. That is unless some of us long for the dark days when third base has been occupied by players like Greg Norton, Carlos Martinez, Chris Snopek, etc. :(:

Philo-Sox-er
06-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Turning it around:

Joe Crede homered and walked three times against the Braves today.
Crede seems to be making an effort to be more patient at the plate. He's walked six times in five games after drawing a total of eight free passes in his first 47 games. Perhaps his average will climb along with his OBP. Jun. 13 - 6:21 pm et

RedPinStripes
06-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Crede has impressed me the last few game with his patience at the dish. How many walks has he had? I think he had 3 today. Not bad at all.

SEALgep
06-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Why should we go after Johnson? He's probably going to retire in about a year or two, why waste 10 million on a one year pitcher? Also why would Garland be ahead of Schoenweis?Try $16 million next year.

Iguana775
06-13-2004, 06:36 PM
The Sox can't trade him!! I just got his jersey this year!! lol.

pssondacubs
06-14-2004, 09:50 AM
If Uriba is the Sox best SS, why do people continue to forecast him at 3rd or anywhere else for that matter. He is without a doubt the best SS the Sox have, why not play him there. Wouldn't playing your best lineup make the most sense?

SEALgep
06-14-2004, 11:04 AM
If Uriba is the Sox best SS, why do people continue to forecast him at 3rd or anywhere else for that matter. He is without a doubt the best SS the Sox have, why not play him there. Wouldn't playing your best lineup make the most sense?Right now, Valentin in the lineup is part of our best lineup. Finding a way to have Harris, Valentin, and Uribe in the game helps our team as it stands right now. Uribe has a great arm and has played third well this year when over there. Valentin has really hunkered down since his early displays of errors at the beginning of the season. The guy can really flash some leather there when it counts. We'll see how it plays out, but having Uribe at third (if Crede was traded) and Valentin at SS doesn't hurt us IMO.

misty60481
06-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Before we get down on Crede take a look at Mike Schmidts first 2 years in majors--he was horrible and look what happened Im not saying he is 2nd coming of Schmidt but should be given more of a chance

Mickster
06-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Interesting to note that KC is looking for a 3B and a catcher that can help them next year (no prospects). Could we have brought up Burke to showcase him for KC in a possible Burke/Crede for Beltran deal? :o:

JRIG
06-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Before we get down on Crede take a look at Mike Schmidts first 2 years in majors--he was horrible and look what happened Im not saying he is 2nd coming of Schmidt but should be given more of a chance
Unless you count 34 at bats as a "season," Schmidt was dominating the NL by his second year in the league, hitting .282/.395/.546 in 1974 at age 24.

TaylorStSox
06-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Despite Crede's poor performance, he's still on pace to drive in 80 runs while hitting 27 homers. Not too shabby for a young guy at the hot corner.

At this point, any offense he gives you is a bonus. Especially, since our middle infielders are very good hitters.

Jjav829
06-14-2004, 07:55 PM
The Sox can't trade him!! I just got his jersey this year!! lol.
Haha, I feel you on that one. I just got mine the other day. They can't trade him now! :smile:

I doubt they would trade him anyway. This is only his 2nd full season in the majors. This organization has shown more patience with a lot of other players. I don't think KW wants to give up on Crede now.

Jjav829
06-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Interesting to note that KC is looking for a 3B and a catcher that can help them next year (no prospects). Could we have brought up Burke to showcase him for KC in a possible Burke/Crede for Beltran deal? :o:
Who is the catcher that can help them next year in that deal? :?:

Nard
06-14-2004, 07:56 PM
3B- Uribe
SS- Jose
2B- Willie

CF- Rowand/Timo/(Borchard if one of the others are traded)

Works for me. Crede's been hot for one game. Whoopee.

misty60481
06-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Check Mike Schmidts 1973 record he hit .198 struck out 136 times hit 18 homers, again I dont want anyone to think Crede is next Schmidt but sometimes a little patience pays off

SEALgep
06-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Check Mike Schmidts 1973 record he hit .198 struck out 136 times hit 18 homers, again I dont want anyone to think Crede is next Schmidt but sometimes a little patience pays offI think Crede will prove to be a pretty good third baseman, however, KW is thinking about this year. Crede can certainly turn it around, and I think he will. However, with Fields in the system (hopefuly soon) there is a strong possibility that he will be our third baseman for the future. He's at least a year and a half to two years away, but it could very well be that length. With KW set on going for it this year, and Uribe having the ability to play third, it leaves the possiblity for a guy like Beltran to take over in CF, moving Willie back to second, and having as good of a lineup than anyone in baseball. It probably won't happen, but you have to admit, it's at least intriguing.

Mickster
06-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Who is the catcher that can help them next year in that deal? :?:
You expect us to give them a starting 3B and a legit starting catcher for 4 months of Beltran? Crede/Burke for Beltran works for me so long as we go out and get Garcia and some bullpen help. We'll worry about next year after making a serious run for the WS this year.

Would you give up Crede for that shot?

LF Lee
CF Beltran
RF Maggs
3B Uribe
SS Valentin
2B Harris
1B Konerko
C Olivo
DH Thomas

Buerhrle
Loaiza
Garcia
Garland
Schoenweis

Looks like a LEGIT contender to me.....

CanOfCorn
06-15-2004, 04:32 PM
I dunno.

I think I'd rather take my chances on a Crede second-half surge in case Willie or Juan fall back to Earth. If both of those guys drop off, we're still down a bat.

I think Crede can be a mainstay. If he can just shorten that swing, we'll be fine.

jabrch
06-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Would I consider trading Crede - heck yes. I'd consider trading ANYONE. There is nobody I wouldn't CONSIDER trading. If we could get Finley AND RJ and not have to give up Reed, I'd be all over that. But I just don't see that happening. Too many teams would give up too much more for Randy Johnson.

SEALgep
06-15-2004, 04:35 PM
I dunno.

I think I'd rather take my chances on a Crede second-half surge in case Willie or Juan fall back to Earth. If both of those guys drop off, we're still down a bat.

I think Crede can be a mainstay. If he can just shorten that swing, we'll be fine.Even if one of them did "come back to earth" it would no different than how Crede is swinging the bat, yet we'd have Beltran.

CanOfCorn
06-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Maybe I'm doing some incorrect figuring here.

If Crede comes back to life, then we maybe only have a hole in CF.

If Crede is traded (and let's say he comes back to life elsewhere), and Uribe and Harris fall back to Earth, then we have potentially two more holes.

Right? Or wrong?

Mickster
06-15-2004, 04:45 PM

If Crede is traded (and let's say he comes back to life elsewhere), and Uribe and Harris fall back to Earth, then we have potentially two more holes.

Right? Or wrong?
If Thomas gets hit by a car we have 3 holes... Right?

The bottom line is that they have been steady so far this year year. It wasn't as if Wilie started batting .500 now is in a slump which brought his average back down to .300. He's been pretty consistant all year.

If Behrle reverts back to 1st half 03 Buehrle, then we need 2 starting pitchers...? Just don't buy that arguement.

Fact is we are pretty stacked and in a position with filling in a few holes to make a legit attempt at the WS. Let's go for it now. Assuming we stand pat and do nothing, there's always next year, right? Wrong. Thomas will be 1 year older, no valentin, maybe no Loaiza, possibly no Maggs.... The time is now.

SEALgep
06-15-2004, 04:46 PM

Right? Or wrong?Isn't that the case if Crede remains? Otherwise maybe we'll have three holes if he doesn't bounce back, minus Beltran.

CanOfCorn
06-15-2004, 04:53 PM
I guess I'm trying to say I like the infield depth/versatility we have. If we could get Beltran by dealing minor leaguers, I'm all for it.

Plus, I'm probably a little partial since I saw Crede hit his first home run in person.

Mickster
06-15-2004, 05:00 PM
I guess I'm trying to say I like the infield depth/versatility we have. If we could get Beltran by dealing minor leaguers, I'm all for it.

Plus, I'm probably a little partial since I saw Crede hit his first home run in person.
Don't get me wrong. I like Crede a lot - even while he's slumping. I would, though, be willing to give him up in a package for 4 months of Beltran if we get Garcia and PB help for the stretch run...

A. Cavatica
06-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Check Mike Schmidts 1973 record he hit .198 struck out 136 times hit 18 homers, again I dont want anyone to think Crede is next Schmidt but sometimes a little patience pays off
Schmidt was 23. That's late to have such a dramatic turnaround. Crede is 26. Statistically speaking, this season and the next two are likely to be his career peak.

SEALgep
06-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Schmidt was 23. That's late to have such a dramatic turnaround. Crede is 26. Statistically speaking, this season and the next two are likely to be his career peak.I don't know that it will be his career peak. He's 26 ya, and he should be at the age where he should come into his, but he can still get better with more experience. I'll trade him for Beltran, but I like having him on the team.

FarWestChicago
06-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Schmidt was 23. That's late to have such a dramatic turnaround. Crede is 26. Statistically speaking, this season and the next two are likely to be his career peak.:nandrolone

I can give him a little tip about having a career peak after 26.

Tragg
06-15-2004, 10:39 PM
If we want Beltran or whomever, trade a bunch of "prospects" for him- don't trade a young position player who's in his 2nd full season and who does show promise despite a slump.

SEALgep
06-15-2004, 10:45 PM
If we want Beltran or whomever, trade a bunch of "prospects" for him- don't trade a young position player who's in his 2nd full season and who does show promise despite a slump.They want MLB ready players, and a third baseman and catcher primarily. That's fine, but the Sox don't have them in the system. So it's either Crede most likely, or no deal at all. It's probably no deal, but that's where it stands.

Tragg
06-15-2004, 11:11 PM
They want MLB ready players, and a third baseman and catcher primarily. That's fine, but the Sox don't have them in the system. So it's either Crede most likely, or no deal at all. It's probably no deal, but that's where it stands.Give them Valentin

Seriously, what third baseman do we have in their system?

What's the deal- give Olivo and Crede to RENT Beltran?? Have we gone mad??
And who are we to be trading Major League ready players? If we have an excess where are they?
If that's what they want, do a deal with someone else.
Sometimes KW reminds me of what Ditka did to the Saints- get so glued to one player that you screw yourself over, which Ditka did to the Saints for 4 years.