PDA

View Full Version : What is the obsession with Beltran?

gosox41
06-13-2004, 08:37 AM
I know he's a grat player and all but getting Beltran is not addressing the team's biggest holes. I would love to see him in a Sox uniform but let's look at the big picture:

1. The Sox need a fifth starter more then they need a CFer.
2. Sox can't use up their valuable prospects on Beltran when they may need them to acquire a stud pitcher.
3. Sox also have a need for a reliever, but not as immediate for a starter. It's still a big hole.
4. The future CFer of this team is in AAA right now. Borchard or Reed can outhit Rowand/Perez/Gload. They're obviously not Beltran, but who wants to give up a ton of talent to a rent a player.
5. I think the odds are very strongly against Beltran signing a long term contract now unless the Sox offer him more moey then they're offering Magglio. Then fact is Boras and JR hate each other. Boras would be doing a disservice to his client if he didn't let the Mets/Yankees get in on the bidding for him.

It's just getting to be too much Beltran all because a fool like Reynolds mentioned the Sox as being interested on ESPN. While it doesn't surprise me that KW is looking at anyone and everyone (which he should) he would be doing this team and its fans a great disservice by giving up top flight talent for a guy the team has no chance to sign who doesn't even fill our biggest needs.

Bob

Jjav829
06-13-2004, 09:10 AM
I know he's a grat player and all but getting Beltran is not addressing the team's biggest holes. I would love to see him in a Sox uniform but let's look at the big picture:

2. Sox can't use up their valuable prospects on Beltran when they may need them to acquire a stud pitcher.
3. Sox also have a need for a reliever, but not as immediate for a starter. It's still a big hole.
4. The future CFer of this team is in AAA right now. Borchard or Reed can outhit Rowand/Perez/Gload. They're obviously not Beltran, but who wants to give up a ton of talent to a rent a player.
5. I think the odds are very strongly against Beltran signing a long term contract now unless the Sox offer him more moey then they're offering Magglio. Then fact is Boras and JR hate each other. Boras would be doing a disservice to his client if he didn't let the Mets/Yankees get in on the bidding for him.

It's just getting to be too much Beltran all because a fool like Reynolds mentioned the Sox as being interested on ESPN. While it doesn't surprise me that KW is looking at anyone and everyone (which he should) he would be doing this team and its fans a great disservice by giving up top flight talent for a guy the team has no chance to sign who doesn't even fill our biggest needs.

Bob
You just answered your own question...

What is the obsession with Beltran?
I know he's a great player
It's because he's a great player at a position where we lack even a good player. He also happens to be a switch hitter which would allow us to break up our 4 right handed sluggers.

Now that said, pitching is the biggest hole right now. But I think most people are looking and saying that we can get both a good pitcher and Beltran. Yeah Beltran would be a rent-a-player, but he would almost certainly be offered arbitration and would be a Type A Free Agent. So as long as the price doesn't go too high we should be able to recover most of the talent we give up.

dougs78
06-13-2004, 09:48 AM
I would love to get Beltran becuase I think he would make our team a whole lot better for all the reasons jjav said. But I don't think anyone is saying that we should choose Beltran over a legimate starting pitcher. My thought is that if we are really going for it this year, then lets go out and get both.

samram
06-13-2004, 10:09 AM
I would like to have Beltran too, but he's only hitting .270. He seems to be the type of guy who may not try as hard when the team isn't playing well. On the other hand, if he gets into a pennant race, he would probably pick it up again.

HomerCoach
06-13-2004, 10:20 AM
On the other hand, if he gets into a pennant race, he would probably pick it up again.
You got it, plus he steals a lot more bases than Rowand and Perez/Gload.

pinwheels3530
06-13-2004, 11:43 AM
What if we give up Borchard for Beltran and Reed for Garcia, who will play center next year IT'S NO T GOING TO HAPPEN. We have no chance of re-signing Beltran so'll we will have him for only half a season and it still leaves us with no centerfielder IT" NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! PITCHING, PITCHING, PTICHING, WE NEED PITCHING

batmanZoSo
06-13-2004, 11:46 AM

Bob
I agree. Beltran doesn't make sense. We have plenty of outfield prospects. Including three that could play center. Let's just get a quality frontline starter please.

beckett21
06-13-2004, 11:48 AM

It's because he's a great player at a position where we lack even a good player. He also happens to be a switch hitter which would allow us to break up our 4 right handed sluggers.

Now that said, pitching is the biggest hole right now. But I think most people are looking and saying that we can get both a good pitcher and Beltran. Yeah Beltran would be a rent-a-player, but he would almost certainly be offered arbitration and would be a Type A Free Agent. So as long as the price doesn't go too high we should be able to recover most of the talent we give up.
Amen. There is always a place for a player like Beltran on ANY roster. He makes everyone better.

It's scary to think of how lethal our lineup would be with him in the mix. In my mind that would make us legitimate WS contenders. The pitching would still need to be addressed, but it will. KW knows that, so no need to worry there. Beltran and Garcia would put this team over the top.

mdep524
06-13-2004, 12:21 PM
I agree. Beltran doesn't make sense. We have plenty of outfield prospects. Including three that could play center. Let's just get a quality frontline starter please.
I've posted this elsewhere, but I think it belongs here too: yes, we do need a 5th starter, but being complacent with our hit or miss offense could be dangerous.

If you remember last year, it was our OFFENSE that kept us out of the playoofs- several 1-0 losses (two to the Tigers, one to the Padres who were both TERRIBLE teams last year), a high pressure three game meltdown in Minnesota, a massive two month lack of any hitting (April - May). The starting pithcing was rock solid last year. Also, in the 2000 playoffs, our offense just plain did not show up at all, even though our pitchers- who weren't as good as the ones we have this year- pitched their hearts out.

I know, there are differences between the 2000, 2003 and 2004 teams. But the catalysts are the same- Lee, Konerko, Maggs, Thomas. I think adding Beltran is a very solid hedge against an ill-timed offense meltdown. He'd give this team a whole new dimension offensively.

For a more recent microcosm, look at Friday night's game. Beltran brings things to the table that the Sox lack- speed, left handed bat, great defense. Those exact elements that might have saved the Sox from their awful Coprseball-ish effort vs. Jaret Wright, and would've saved Shoeneweiss several runs on defense.

I do agree we need another starter as well- Sheets or Garcia if I had my way. And getting a releiver- Guardado?- would be just as important too. But I wouldn't overlook Beltran.

Brian26
06-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Kenny wants to win this thing this year more than anybody. This is the calm before the storm. There's no doubt in my mind KW's going to pick up at least one pitcher, if not two. A guy like Beltran, though, puts us over the top.

gosox41
06-13-2004, 12:37 PM

I'll add anotoher point then:

6. This is the Sox we're talking about. They're not going to shell out the remainder of Beltran's contract and pay for a Freddy Garcia.

Bob

OEO Magglio
06-13-2004, 01:08 PM
I'll add anotoher point then:

6. This is the Sox we're talking about. They're not going to shell out the remainder of Beltran's contract and pay for a Freddy Garcia.

BobI knwo you hate kenny but this is where he got creative last year, where he got the other teams to pay the remainder of salary. I don't think there is a chance for Beltran but he is an unbelievable talent and I would love to have him on the sox. But another starter is definitely more critical at this point and another reliever probably is to. Like beckett said there is always room for beltran on any team.

johnny_mostil
06-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Kenny wants to win this thing this year more than anybody. This is the calm before the storm. There's no doubt in my mind KW's going to pick up at least one pitcher, if not two. A guy like Beltran, though, puts us over the top.
The problem is, if the Sox pick up Beltran, the Twins may counter by cashing some of their corner depth and go for pitching. If KW gets into an arms race with the Twins, trading farm system for this season, the Twins can win if they want to because they have more top-level prospects.

bartmanisgod
06-13-2004, 01:23 PM
If I were a rent a player and was traded to a team that won the world series sigining for a lower price to stay with the team I won my first ring with would not be out of the question!

And if I were an owner and I won the world series I would probably spend the money to retain the players that got me back to the world series!

Frankfan4life
06-13-2004, 02:38 PM
What if we give up Borchard for Beltran and Reed for Garcia, who will play center next year IT'S NO T GOING TO HAPPEN. We have no chance of re-signing Beltran so'll we will have him for only half a season and it still leaves us with no centerfielder IT" NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! PITCHING, PITCHING, PTICHING, WE NEED PITCHINGYou speak the truth!

Lip Man 1
06-14-2004, 01:03 PM
For what it's worth the AP had a general story on the interest in Beltran and who may be in the running him. The Sox were not listed as one of the prime contenders. The AP had them listed 7th with the caption, 'the White Sox are looking for pitching.'

Lip

sendimjoey
06-14-2004, 02:09 PM
I think Ken Williams is smart to stay in the conversations about Beltran, even though a starting pitcher is priority No. 1. Did anyone think the White Sox would land Bartolo Colon before the 2003 season? A big reason he landed here was that the Red Sox were trying to acquire him, and the Yankees wanted to keep Colon out of their clutches. Because Beltran is seen as a rental, he doesn't seem to be drawing the knock-out offers that you would expect for a player of his skill and age (see http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=1820607). If Williams can hang around, maybe he could end up the winner in a three-way trade that involves the Yankees or some other team that wants to keep Beltran out of their division.

Actually, I'm kind of worried that the Cubs will wise up and trade Corey Patterson and some prospects for Beltran.